Adam in God's image

DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 1:38:39 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/6/2016 12:36:01 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
If God was and is invisible, was Adam created to look like God?

No. In his image implies in his likeness. At Genesis 5:3 it says: "And Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth." Having a similar meaning. Since God is in spirit form and Adam was in physical form, flesh and bones, the likeness includes the qualities and personality rather than a physical likeness.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:14:26 AM
At 3/6/2016 1:38:39 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

No. In his image implies in his likeness. At Genesis 5:3 it says: "And Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and called his name Seth." Having a similar meaning. Since God is in spirit form and Adam was in physical form, flesh and bones, the likeness includes the qualities and personality rather than a physical likeness.

Likeness implies both physical and spiritual aspects. IF mankind was only made in the likeness of something invisible, mankind would have no physical aspects.
The WORD ( God ) has always been manifest in FLESH ( physical form ) in the past present and future which WAS and IS and IS TO COME. ( John 1:14, 1 John 4:2-3)
The Son of God ( Adam 1 Cor 15:45) cannot have flesh if Adams Father has no flesh.
All things reproduce after their own kind according to the principles in Genesis. ( Gen 1:11, 12, 21, 24. 25)
God is not excluded or exempt from his own principles, standards and laws. He sets the standards and needs to follow his own rules and standards if he expects anyone else to follow them.
The principles apply the same in the spiritual sense as they do in the natural sense. That is why it is possible to use natural things in parables to describe spiritual principles.

Flesh is born of flesh. Spirit is born of spirit. ( John 3:6 )
Both aspects make it possible for spirit to manifest in and through the flesh.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:51:36 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
*... a reproduction or imitation of the form of a person or thing; especially : an imitation in solid form :
* ... a visual representation of something:

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Likeness
*... the quality or state of being alike or similar especially in appearance

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over....................(everything)

Notice God is not a singular being but a plural entity in Gen1:26 which refers to itself as US not ME. It makes mankind ( ADAM ) in THEIR IMAGE, not one single man in the image of a single person.

The word ADAM means mankind. Mankind ( ADAM ) was a collection of male and female people.
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Mankind is also obviously many more than just two people.

The word God is more like the word Family which refers to a GROUP not just to one person.

Humans are physically created in the image of humans through the reproduction process of humans. No single man was literally made of dust.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:26:38 PM
At 3/6/2016 7:14:26 AM, Skyangel wrote:
Likeness implies both physical and spiritual aspects. IF mankind was only made in the likeness of something invisible, mankind would have no physical aspects.

Apparently, that isn't the case. Consider the following scriptures:
Exodus 33:20: "And he added: "You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live.""

John 1:18: "No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him."

1 Timothy 1:17: "Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible, invisible, [the] only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen"
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:41:33 PM
OUR implies there is more than one creative being.
Genesis 1:26King James Version (KJV)

26 And God said, Let us make man in OUR ( my emphasis) image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:46:05 PM

In what way do you mean, physically or spiritually? Considering the God of Israel is a Spirit according to His Son Jesus Christ.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 4:48:54 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:41:33 PM, Emmarie wrote:

26 And God said, Let us make man in OUR ( my emphasis) image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

So his a man ( tick ).
Can you tell us where this man resides, or approximately, would it might be the sky direction.
And and can he make things appear from nowhere , so to speak?
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:38:33 PM

Gods not invisible
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:43:37 PM
At 3/6/2016 5:38:33 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Gods not invisible

Can YOU see her?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:46:31 PM
At 3/6/2016 5:38:33 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Gods not invisible

Everyone knows that. But let's assume his real for 1 minute.
If his real, he is invisible. is a better way to say it.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:53:17 PM
So the story with this Adam bloke since that's crap to , let's say Adam is invisible to , it's the best way to describe it, and on that notion, You could probably confirm . Yes Adam was made in God's image.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:02:25 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:48:54 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).
Can you tell us where this man resides, or approximately, would it might be the sky direction.

The story I'm referring to is a legend. Upon greater study of this legend, you may discover universal truths, that are never emphasized within traditional organized religion. You are trolling someone who trolls back, and I am a part of NO organized religion. I posted the comment, for those of the Christian religion, who believe that God is singular.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:23:43 PM
At 3/6/2016 7:02:25 PM, Emmarie wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).

The story I'm referring to is a legend. Upon greater study of this legend, you may discover universal truths, that are never emphasized within traditional organized religion. You are trolling someone who trolls back, and I am a part of NO organized religion. I posted the comment, for those of the Christian religion, who believe that God is singular.

Sorry Big fella . Put your shirt back on. I would never question a no religion nobody here in the RELIGION forum . Usually people that post stuff like.
let them have domination over the sea , and over the foul in thy air. And the creepy creep crap . I assumed your of a religion. So I asked you some questions. Nicly.
I really hope your going to be OK. I think you be alright . Do you need a hug?.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:36:32 PM
At 3/6/2016 7:23:43 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).

Sorry Big fella . Put your shirt back on. I would never question a no religion nobody here in the RELIGION forum . Usually people that post stuff like.
let them have domination over the sea , and over the foul in thy air. And the creepy creep crap . I assumed your of a religion. So I asked you some questions. Nicly.

I'm a small woman, and yes it does annoy me to get trolled by unbelievers - at the very sight of a bible passage. It shows that your kind is as closed minded as their kind.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 7:45:58 PM
At 3/6/2016 7:36:32 PM, Emmarie wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).

I'm a small woman, and yes it does annoy me to get trolled by unbelievers - at the very sight of a bible passage. It shows that your kind is as closed minded as their kind.

Their we go big fella, let it out , go on let me have it . Please feel free to abuse me , I mean , I have been tormenting you for quite some time now. Are we good . Sorry . No really I'm sorry,
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 8:17:32 PM
At 3/6/2016 7:45:58 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).

Their we go big fella, let it out , go on let me have it . Please feel free to abuse me , I mean , I have been tormenting you for quite some time now. Are we good . Sorry . No really I'm sorry,
ok:)
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 8:20:29 PM
At 3/6/2016 8:17:32 PM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/6/2016 7:45:58 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

So his a man ( tick ).

ok:)

Cool
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 9:49:05 PM
At 3/6/2016 4:26:38 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

Apparently, that isn't the case. Consider the following scriptures:
Exodus 33:20: "And he added: "You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live.""

It all depends on how you interpret the concept of the "face of God" and the concept of living.
Exod 33:11 So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
Gen 32:30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.
Moses and Jacob did not die when seeing God or speaking with God face to face or did part of them die and part of them continue to live the same as Adam and Eve apparently died and still lived as well?

Consider the concept that you need to lose your life in order to gain it.
Matt 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

You cannot have a spiritual life if you never lose your carnal life.

John 1:18: "No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him."

Obviously Jesus did not explain God well enough for most people to comprehend since many people today seem to believe Jesus IS God. How many bible characters saw Jesus face to face and still lived? Did the bible characters see God when they saw Jesus or did they see the devil when they saw Jesus?

John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

The concept is that God is a spirit and you cannot physically see a spirit due to it being something abstract but spirits manifest through flesh and you cannot recognise a spirit if it never manifests in a physical way through flesh.
For example, can you see, detect or recognise Love without it being manifest through a physical body?

1 Timothy 1:17: "Now to the King of eternity, incorruptible, invisible, [the] only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen"

Spirits, attitudes, vibes, thoughts, are obviously invisible to the physical sight but that does not mean they cannot become visible in the sense of being physically recognisable due to manifesting through physical bodies. God as the WORD is manifest through words whether that word is spoken or written and the messenger of the word is irrelevant. If thoughts, ideas, concepts, were not manifest through physical sounds, natural signs or symbols, how would any physical person come to know what they were?
God is a concept, which manifests through physical things in the same way that Love is a concept which manifests through physical things.
If a person manifests love, that person becomes the personification of love but it never makes love a person, neither does it make one individual love itself. No spirit is confined to one individual body.

The spirit of LIFE can be recognised in and through ALL living things.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:04:32 PM
At 3/6/2016 1:38:39 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

The WORD ( God ) has always been manifest in FLESH ( physical form ) in the past present and future which WAS and IS and IS TO COME. ( John 1:14, 1 John 4:2-3)
The Son of God ( Adam 1 Cor 15:45) cannot have flesh if Adams Father has no flesh.
All things reproduce after their own kind according to the principles in Genesis. ( Gen 1:11, 12, 21, 24. 25)
God is not excluded or exempt from his own principles, standards and laws. He sets the standards and needs to follow his own rules and standards if he expects anyone else to follow them.
Says who? What makes you think God has to follow his own rules? Do you follow the rules you set for your children?
The principles apply the same in the spiritual sense as they do in the natural sense. That is why it is possible to use natural things in parables to describe spiritual principles.

Flesh is born of flesh. Spirit is born of spirit. ( John 3:6 )
Both aspects make it possible for spirit to manifest in and through the flesh.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:17:12 PM
At 3/6/2016 10:04:32 PM, janesix wrote:

Says who? What makes you think God has to follow his own rules? Do you follow the rules you set for your children?

The whole concept that God sets an example to follow implies that God must follow his own rules.
Do you set an example for your children to follow? Do you break the rules you set and not suffer any consequences and then punish your children for following your example and also breaking the rules? If you make rules and don't suffer consequences for breaking them yet force your children to suffer consequences for following your example and breaking them, you become a hypocrite who is basically teaching "Do as I say and not as I do".
The same applies to God. Either he sets the example to follow or he says "Do as I say and not as I do".
Which is it ? Are people supposed to follow Gods example or not?

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Did Jesus follow his Fathers example?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 10:31:43 PM
At 3/6/2016 10:17:12 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The whole concept that God sets an example to follow implies that God must follow his own rules.
Do you set an example for your children to follow? Do you break the rules you set and not suffer any consequences and then punish your children for following your example and also breaking the rules? If you make rules and don't suffer consequences for breaking them yet force your children to suffer consequences for following your example and breaking them, you become a hypocrite who is basically teaching "Do as I say and not as I do".
The same applies to God. Either he sets the example to follow or he says "Do as I say and not as I do".
Hopefully no one follows the example of the god of the bible, who is a genocidal maniac.

John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Did Jesus follow his Fathers example?
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:53:40 AM
At 3/6/2016 9:49:05 PM, Skyangel wrote:
It all depends on how you interpret the concept of the "face of God" and the concept of living.

Ah, the Bill Clinton defense, eh?

Genesis 32:30 - I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

John 1:18 - No man hath seen God at any time.

Who has seen God and what does it mean to see God 'face to face.?'

Did Abraham? Genesis 18:1-3 Note that Jehovah god is mistaken for one of the three men. Was God a man or an angel in the form of a man who represented God?

Did Moses? Numbers 12:8 - Note that it is an apperance of God that represents God to Moses.

Did Jacob? Genesis 32:30 - Note Hosea 12:2-4 points out that it was an angel who represented God that grappled with Jacob.

Did Manoah and his wife? Judges 13:2-22 - Note that the angel of Jehovah God is called Jehovah God.

Did Gideon? Judges 6:11-23 - Later Jehovah's angel came and sat under the big tree that was in Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, while Gideon his son was beating out wheat in the winepress so as to get it quickly out of the sight of Midian. Then Jehovah's angel appeared to him and said to him: "Jehovah is with you, you valiant, mighty one." At this Gideon said to him: "Excuse me, my lord, but if Jehovah is with us, then why has all this come upon us, and where are all his wonderful acts that our fathers related to us, saying, 'Was it not out of Egypt that Jehovah brought us up?' And now Jehovah has deserted us, and he gives us into the palm of Midian." Upon that Jehovah faced him and said: "Go in this power of yours, and you will certainly save Israel out of Midian's palm. Do I not send you?" In turn he said to him: "Excuse me, Jehovah. With what shall I save Israel? Look! My thousand is the least in Manasseh, and I am the smallest in my father's house." But Jehovah said to him: "Because I shall prove to be with you, and you will certainly strike down Midian as if one man."

At this he said to him: "If, now, I have found favor in your eyes, you must also perform a sign for me that you are the one speaking with me. Do not, please, move away from here until I come to you and I have brought out my gift and set it before you." Accordingly he said: "I, for my part, shall keep sitting here until you return." And Gideon went in and proceeded to make ready a kid of the goats and an ephah of flour as unfermented cakes. The meat he put in the basket, and the broth he put in the cooking pot, after which he brought it out to him under the big tree and served it.

The angel of the [true] God now said to him: "Take the meat and the unfermented cakes and set them on the big rock there, and pour out the broth." At that he did so. Then Jehovah's angel thrust out the tip of the staff that was in his hand and touched the meat and the unfermented cakes, and fire began to ascend out of the rock and to consume the meat and the unfermented cakes. As for Jehovah's angel, he vanished from his sight. Consequently Gideon realized that it was Jehovah's angel.

At once Gideon said: "Alas, Sovereign Lord Jehovah, for the reason that I have seen Jehovah's angel face to face!" But Jehovah said to him: "Peace be yours. Do not fear. You will not die." So Gideon built an altar there to Jehovah, and it continues to be called Jehovah-shalom down to this day. It is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.

No man has seen God but a few have seen representations of him. The angels are, in a sense, at least to the people they deal with, the same as God.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 4:54:48 AM
At 3/6/2016 10:31:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 3/6/2016 10:17:12 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Hopefully no one follows the example of the god of the bible, who is a genocidal maniac.

Only the genocidal maniacs do. People who disapprove of that characteristic tend to avoid that trait in their own lives and only adopt the traits of the character which suits them.
The character has both positive and negative characteristics as do all humans. What I see in the stories is message which is trying to convey that the positive aspects of a person can overcome the negative aspects.
It is a bit like reading a story about an angel and a devil on your shoulders and you are the person in the middle who needs to pick which one to follow, but the angel and devil are not real, they are merely cartoons which portray your own inner conscience, temptations, conflicts, choices and decision making through life.

http://static.tvtropes.org...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 5:17:38 AM
At 3/7/2016 2:53:40 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/6/2016 9:49:05 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Ah, the Bill Clinton defense, eh?

It's not a defence. It's a FACT of life that humans are subject to their personal perceptions and interpretations of whatever they see and experience around them.

Genesis 32:30 - I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

John 1:18 - No man hath seen God at any time.

No man has seen Love at any time either. Have you ever seen Love? Does it have a size, shape or form? If Love has no size, shape or form, how do you recognise it? Do you ever see it face to face?

Who has seen God and what does it mean to see God 'face to face.?'

I see God face to face at all times. What does it mean ? "Face to face" conveys direct confrontation with another where two living things are in each others presence. It does not necessarily mean both have literal faces. You can "see Love" face to face when you are in direct contact with a loving act and recognise it as loving.

Did Abraham? Genesis 18:1-3 Note that Jehovah god is mistaken for one of the three men. Was God a man or an angel in the form of a man who represented God?

Did Moses? Numbers 12:8 - Note that it is an apperance of God that represents God to Moses.

Did Jacob? Genesis 32:30 - Note Hosea 12:2-4 points out that it was an angel who represented God that grappled with Jacob.

Did Manoah and his wife? Judges 13:2-22 - Note that the angel of Jehovah God is called Jehovah God.

Did Gideon? Judges 6:11-23 -

No man has seen God but a few have seen representations of him. The angels are, in a sense, at least to the people they deal with, the same as God.

The SPIRIT of God is the SPIRIT of LIFE. All people are face to face with the SPIRIT of LIFE every minute of every day. It manifest physically through all living things. Some recognise the messengers of LIFE as God and others obviously do not. Some are able to discern the SPIRITS and others are no better at it than the Pharisees were at discerning the SPIRIT of TRUTH and LIFE in the Jesus character.

Consider the concept that no man can see the face of God and live. ( Exod 33:20)
Can you see the "face of LIFE" and live or will you eventually die?
All who see the "face of LIFE" obviously die. You cannot see or experience LIFE without dying eventually. It has nothing to do with seeing the physical face of an individual character. It is about a direct confrontation with LIFE itself.

I die daily due to experiencing LIFE daily. The old is constantly passing away as it is replaced with the new. Old cells in your body are constantly dying and being shed from your body. That is the REALITY of LIFE. You simply cannot live without dying.