Jump to topic:

Do we have an immortal soul.

Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 9:15:57 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I would like to debate this question, but I would only use the Bible as evidence. Is anyone prepared to present evidence to the Positive from the Bible. I will only be against the question.

It will probably not change anyones opinion, so I would accept atheists as the "Jury" on the evidence presented.

If a "jury" consisted of religious people, then the verdict would be biased.

I call upon the defense to present their case: Humans, Angels, and animals (Some say animals will be in heaven) have souls, and those souls immortal.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:01:47 PM
Yup !

Soul is eternal . Soul Changes its carrier from simplest life form to complex life forms .
It keeps changing its carrier .
Today it lives in 3D world , tomorrow it will be living in 4D world .
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 12:46:59 PM
At 3/6/2016 9:15:57 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
I would like to debate this question, but I would only use the Bible as evidence. Is anyone prepared to present evidence to the Positive from the Bible. I will only be against the question.
The bible is not evidence of anything other than man's capacity for imagination.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 1:44:20 PM
At 3/6/2016 12:46:59 PM, bulproof wrote:
The bible is not evidence of anything other than man's capacity for imagination.
Funny thing about imagination. Not a whole lot of it is derived from non existent things. And bul only has an immortal hamster.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 2:43:40 PM
At 3/6/2016 1:44:20 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Funny thing about imagination. Not a whole lot of it is derived from non existent things.

Which is why God is always pictured as a man with a white beard living in the clouds. Gee, I wonder where all of that came from?
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:12:48 PM
At 3/6/2016 2:43:40 PM, Double_R wrote:
Funny thing about imagination. Not a whole lot of it is derived from non existent things.

Which is why God is always pictured as a man with a white beard living in the clouds. Gee, I wonder where all of that came from?

LOL , Even Hindu Creator God is shown like that with few changes .
Like having 4 heads ( He had 5 heads but one was chopped away by Lord Shiva ) , Sitting on the Lotus ( If I am correct ) and few more .
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 11:58:50 PM
I imagined that this post would be trolled by the inane, incompetent and insane; however not one bit of dribble, so presented, has been anything about the question.

I'm done here.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:05:18 PM
At 3/6/2016 2:43:40 PM, Double_R wrote:

You apparently don't understand the word imagination. Look it up then come back with yet another equivocation fallacy as I'm sure you will. Unless you want to stand by your moronic assertion that a man with a white beard was born out of imagination in the same sentence where you imply it wasn't imagined at all. You're hilarious.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:12:00 PM

It will probably not change anyones opinion, so I would accept atheists as the "Jury" on the evidence presented.

I call upon the defense to present their case: Humans, Angels, and animals (Some say animals will be in heaven) have souls, and those souls immortal.

I call upon you to provide evidence in support of the existence of angels.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:13:38 PM
Funny thing about imagination. Not a whole lot of it is derived from non existent things. And bul only has an immortal hamster.
It's obvious that you have never read a book. Look the bell's gone, time to go back to class.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:14:59 PM
At 3/6/2016 11:58:50 PM, Peternosaint wrote:
I imagined that this post would be trolled by the inane, incompetent and insane; however not one bit of dribble, so presented, has been anything about the question.

I'm done here.
In answer to your question.........................NO.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 3:39:54 PM

Mat_10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The aforementioned verse doesn't really prove the argument one way or the other, but it does show that the soul can live forever, and can be also be destroyed. Therefore according to scripture it is God's will that the soul live forever in Christ, and any other choice then God's for man through His Son could be death not only for the body, but also the soul.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 3:44:29 PM
At 3/7/2016 3:39:54 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Mat_10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The aforementioned verse doesn't really prove the argument one way or the other, but it does show that the soul can live forever, and can be also be destroyed. Therefore according to scripture it is God's will that the soul live forever in Christ, and any other choice then God's for man through His Son could be death not only for the body, but also the soul.
If you look around a little I'm sure you can find a different ignorant bronze age scribe who disagrees with your goat minder of choice.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 5:12:36 PM
At 3/7/2016 3:44:29 PM, bulproof wrote:

If you look around a little I'm sure you can find a different ignorant bronze age scribe who disagrees with your goat minder of choice.

So, what you're saying is, you are the ignorant bronze age scribe who disagrees with your goat minder of choice, correct?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 6:00:30 PM
At 3/7/2016 5:12:36 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 3/7/2016 3:44:29 PM, bulproof wrote:

So, what you're saying is, you are the ignorant bronze age scribe who disagrees with your goat minder of choice, correct?
No that is not what I'm saying, the problem for christians is comprehension, but I still love them.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:23:21 PM

I appreciate what you are trying to do, and volunteer to judge arguments (with a Biblical basis) for and against the existence of an eternal soul.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 11:19:37 PM
At 3/7/2016 2:12:00 PM, bulproof wrote:

I call upon you to provide evidence in support of the existence of angels.

Here you go Bully....
http://www.famousbirthdays.com...
I am sure there are plenty of other people on Earth named Angel besides the ones on the link. ;-)
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 11:50:39 PM

According to the Bible, we do not have a soul, we are souls.

That is because the word translated soul, is also often translated as life, depending on the him of the translator. It is also sometimes translated as creature, person or being.

Genesis 1:21
21 And God created the great sea creatures and all living creatures that move and swarm in the waters according to their kinds and every winged flying creature according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:24
24 Then God said: "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds, domestic animals and creeping animals and wild animals of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.

Genesis 2:7
7 And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.

This is because like so many other distortions of scripture it was done either to support a teaching or because of a teaching.

Also scripture points out carefully that the soul is not immortal, it can and does die.

Ezekiel 18:4
4 Look! All the souls"to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son"to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

Ezekiel 18:20
20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will bear no guilt because of the error of his father, and a father will bear no guilt because of the error of his son. The righteousness of the righteous one will be accounted to him alone, and the wickedness of the wicked one will be accounted to him alone.

Acts 3:23
23 Indeed, any soul that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people."

Romans 3:23
23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 5:12
12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned

As the above scriptures show, animals and humans are souls, and do die.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 11:53:08 PM
At 3/7/2016 2:14:59 PM, bulproof wrote:

I'm done here.

Prove it.....
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 12:38:39 AM
Good, a few sensible statements:

I will ask, If God created man to live forever on a Paradise earth, as is stated in Genesis, Why would he give them an immortal soul, a spirit creature, which only comes into use when the person dies, according to some?

To me, that indicates that God was unsure of his intention working, so he put in a fail safe method.

Does God have a soul? and if yes, what use is it to him? IS there three souls and three different beings in the Trinity.

"The soul that sins shall surely die." What is death, is it still existence?

Was Jesus and the angles immortal?

The big one, If God, w ho is immortal, bestows immortality on another being it will mean that the other being cannot be destroyed, removed from life or heaven. Is satan immortal? If the soul is immortal then God cannot destroy that soul, isn't that saying there is one thing that God cannot do, a God who is omnipotent?

DO you think that God would hand over bad dead souls to Satan to torture for eternity?

I will address these questions when I see you answers.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 1:49:29 AM
At 3/8/2016 12:38:39 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

The big one, If God, w ho is immortal, bestows immortality on another being it will mean that the other being cannot be destroyed, removed from life or heaven. Is satan immortal? If the soul is immortal then God cannot destroy that soul, isn't that saying there is one thing that God cannot do, a God who is omnipotent?
Nah there's lots of things your invisible friend can't do.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 1:50:24 AM
At 3/7/2016 11:53:08 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

I'm done here.

Prove it.....
OK I will.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 2:04:33 AM
At 3/8/2016 1:50:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

I'm done here.

Prove it.....
OK I will.

ME: I know you consider yourself a classical wit; however most would agree that you are only half there. What is your purpose for getting into posts of others and disrupting them with your inane mutterings. Go and play with Komodo Mouth, he is of the same brain deficiency as you are, at least you will have something in common, you have nothing in common with the rest of the posters...Rack off!

Surely there must be a way to keep you out, I must look at the rules and ask an Administrator.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 3:04:06 AM
At 3/7/2016 11:50:39 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That is because the word translated soul, is also often translated as life, depending on the him of the translator. It is also sometimes translated as creature, person or being.

21 And God created the great sea creatures and all living creatures that move and swarm in the waters according to their kinds and every winged flying creature according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

24 Then God said: "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds, domestic animals and creeping animals and wild animals of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.

7 And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.

This is because like so many other distortions of scripture it was done either to support a teaching or because of a teaching.

Also scripture points out carefully that the soul is not immortal, it can and does die.

4 Look! All the souls"to me they belong. As the soul of the father so also the soul of the son"to me they belong. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will bear no guilt because of the error of his father, and a father will bear no guilt because of the error of his son. The righteousness of the righteous one will be accounted to him alone, and the wickedness of the wicked one will be accounted to him alone.

23 Indeed, any soul that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people."

12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned

Well the wages of sin are death, but salvation is eternal life. I would say some souls do gain immortality.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:06:20 AM
At 3/8/2016 3:04:06 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Well the wages of sin are death, but salvation is eternal life. I would say some souls do gain immortality.

ME: Which ones do and which ones don't.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:26:13 AM
At 3/8/2016 2:04:33 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 3/8/2016 1:50:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

I'm done here.

Prove it.....
OK I will.

ME: I know you consider yourself a classical wit; however most would agree that you are only half there. What is your purpose for getting into posts of others and disrupting them with your inane mutterings. Go and play with Komodo Mouth, he is of the same brain deficiency as you are, at least you will have something in common, you have nothing in common with the rest of the posters...Rack off!

Surely there must be a way to keep you out, I must look at the rules and ask an Administrator.

Ya bitch and moan cos nobody answered your question and when I do you bitch and moan because you don't understand the answer.
Get nurse to burp you, you've got a touch of colic.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:37:38 AM
At 3/8/2016 5:06:20 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

The ones God saves.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:48:42 AM
At 3/8/2016 5:37:38 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/8/2016 5:06:20 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

The ones God saves.

ME: May I ask you to elaborate and give me examples from the Bible?

Did you read my post on the need for an immortal soul, a need that does not exist?
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:03:49 AM
Could we look at the word soul in its original interpretation.

What is the origin of the myth?

"The early Christian philosophers adopted the Greek concept of the soul"s immortality and thought of the soul as being created by God and infused into the body at conception.""The New Encyclop"dia Britannica (1988), Volume 11, page 25.
What does the Bible say?

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die.""Ezekiel 18:4, King James Version.

Regarding the creation of the first human soul, the Bible says: "Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul [Hebrew, neE7;phesh].""Genesis 2:7.

The Hebrew word ne'phesh, translated "soul," means "a creature that breathes." When God created the first man, Adam, He did not infuse into him an immortal soul but the life force that is maintained by breathing. Therefore, "soul" in the Biblical sense refers to the entire living being. If separated from the life force originally given by God, the soul dies."Genesis 3:19; Ezekiel 18:20.

The doctrine of the immortality of the soul raised questions: Where do souls go after death? What happens to the souls of the wicked? When nominal Christians adopted the myth of the immortal soul, this led them to accept another myth"the teaching of hellfire.

ME: Ego is another word for soul, and that means personality of the living person, not the personality of the persons soul.

Even in these times if a tragedy happens and many people are killed the report says, "And all souls were lost." This is the accurate statement, as it says what really happens.

This site is not from JW.org but it has a very good historical study of the Immortality of the soul. I think I could rest my case on this information:

http://www.ucg.org...