Jump to topic:

Personal experience of God

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:57:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Have you ever had a personal experience of/ with God?

Has God ever communicated to/ with you in any way?

I would like to hear your stories in detail if anyone is willing to share.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:26:37 AM
At 3/9/2016 12:57:04 AM, janesix wrote:

That obviously depends on how people define God.

If you define God as an invisible supernatural person, I have had plenty of experience with invisible supernatural characters IF you will accept that imagining such characters is experiencing them.
When you imagine a mythical character, do you experience them in your mind or not?

If you define God as Love, I think every person on earth has had an experience with God if they ever had any experience with Love and either been a giver or receiver of the concept.

As much as LIFE and LOVE have communicated with me in many ways.

Experience with any God depends on ones personal perception and definition of the word God.
I think most humans have experienced their own mind, imaginations, and the way it can play tricks on them.
I think most humans have experienced love and other abstract human concepts.
You could say your own conscience is God and when you feel your conscience "pricking" you, it is God "speaking" to you about something.
After all, are we not all ruled by our own conscience regardless of what we believe?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:29:48 AM
At 3/9/2016 1:26:37 AM, Skyangel wrote:

If you define God as an invisible supernatural person, I have had plenty of experience with invisible supernatural characters IF you will accept that imagining such characters is experiencing them.
When you imagine a mythical character, do you experience them in your mind or not?

If you define God as Love, I think every person on earth has had an experience with God if they ever had any experience with Love and either been a giver or receiver of the concept.

Experience with any God depends on ones personal perception and definition of the word God.
I think most humans have experienced their own mind, imaginations, and the way it can play tricks on them.
You could say your own conscience is God and when you feel your conscience "pricking" you, it is God "speaking" to you about something.
After all, are we not all ruled by our own conscience regardless of what we believe?

Please stay out of my thread unless you are going to actually answer the question. For instance, you have claimed a supernatural experience with what you thought was the Hoy Spirit at the time. You could elaborate on that.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 2:39:21 AM
At 3/9/2016 1:07:06 AM, Composer wrote:
Which God?

At 3/9/2016 1:08:17 AM, janesix wrote:
Any God or Gods.
Thanks!

In my long experience successfully busting religions this same question has arisen many times!

No one has been able to prove that any alleged experience they claim to have had emanated from ANY literal Supernatural being of any kind!

It was ALL in their head/imagination!
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:19:18 AM
At 3/9/2016 1:29:48 AM, janesix wrote:

Please stay out of my thread unless you are going to actually answer the question. For instance, you have claimed a supernatural experience with what you thought was the Hoy Spirit at the time. You could elaborate on that.

It was a feeling like none I had ever had before that point. It was like being washed with warm oil except no oil was being poured over me. It just felt like it. I described what I felt to the people who were there at the time and they told me I had been touched by the Holy Spirit and anointed by God.

I have no explanation for the feeling. It just happened during the time when people were praying for me. It most likely has something to do with the interaction between a persons body and their state of mind at the time.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 1:25:59 AM
At 3/10/2016 1:19:18 AM, Skyangel wrote:

It was a feeling like none I had ever had before that point. It was like being washed with warm oil except no oil was being poured over me. It just felt like it. I described what I felt to the people who were there at the time and they told me I had been touched by the Holy Spirit and anointed by God.

I have no explanation for the feeling. It just happened during the time when people were praying for me. It most likely has something to do with the interaction between a persons body and their state of mind at the time.

How did it feel mentally? Did it "feel" like God to you?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:33:23 AM
At 3/10/2016 1:25:59 AM, janesix wrote:

Mentally it felt soothing. It felt peaceful. It felt comforting.
Physically it felt like warm oil being poured all over me. Get some warm oil and pour it on your skin and you will feel something similar to what I felt. It is a very warm smooth sensation.

How can I or anyone else say if it "feels" or felt like God when they have never felt "God" before?

It was a feeling I had never felt before and I had no way to explain it logically. "God" seemed to be an acceptable explanation at the time so I simply accepted it as being something of a supernatural source due to having no natural or logical explanation.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 2:37:03 AM
At 3/10/2016 2:33:23 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Physically it felt like warm oil being poured all over me. Get some warm oil and pour it on your skin and you will feel something similar to what I felt. It is a very warm smooth sensation.

How can I or anyone else say if it "feels" or felt like God when they have never felt "God" before?

Believe me, you would know.

It was a feeling I had never felt before and I had no way to explain it logically. "God" seemed to be an acceptable explanation at the time so I simply accepted it as being something of a supernatural source due to having no natural or logical explanation.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 3:07:20 AM
At 3/10/2016 2:37:03 AM, janesix wrote:
At 3/10/2016 2:33:23 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Believe me, you would know.

Why should anyone believe you ? How do you know that you would know?
Have you ever had a personal experience with God?

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:23:43 AM

Cool topic, I personally have had many experiences that I would say are from God. I will share one with you here.

I was serving as a bible study teacher and lay person for a baptist church in florida in 2000. I had picked up bible salvation tracts from the church from time to time to distribute as needed. I had given a bunch out and early one morning during morning prayers I realized I was down to one tract.

Side bar

Before i had come to know Jesus in 1999 may I was a common ruffian. i had been incarcerated a few times and I had done many things that Im not very proud of and would never tell to my children. Being born in NY and living there my first 24 years Ive experienced many things and embraced many things that would be frowned upon. One of my best friends and brother at arms at that time was Bob. Me and bob sold drugs as well as other things. I moved to florida in 1994 and the last I had saw of bob was in 1996. I stopped hanging with him when my wife (girlfriend at time) had become pregnant. I had a feeling it would be best to part ways.

End side bar

So on that day I was praying in my morning prayer and reflecting on a dream I had had the night before. I had seen Bob and he was bad off. i was trying to help him but he ignored me as if he didnt know me. I asked God to show me as I went through my day to make known to me who I should give my last tract to. He did not tell me or reveal to me anything at that time.

On the way to church I stopped at a winn dixie (supermarket in florida) to get something and got on line to pay. I felt Gods presence overwhelm me. I tingled with anxiety. As I turned around in the line I knew exactly what i would see. It was Bob. i hadnt seen him in a long time but I knew Gods message was clear.We talked and I gave him the tract and told him all that God had done in my life.

I dont know what became of bob, I havent seen him since. But I had not thought about him in a few years. All of a sudden i have a dream about him and then pray and then see him to give him Gods message. These are the little things that God does. I dont expect you Jane to take serious what Im saying, but I dont mind that. i am grateful to get the chance to share something that happened to me. I have so many of these stories.
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:37:42 AM
I feel really bad questioning your experience, but I have a question

On the way to church I stopped at a winn dixie (supermarket in florida) to get something and got on line to pay. I felt Gods presence overwhelm me.

Isn't God's presence everywhere?

I tingled with anxiety. As I turned around in the line I knew exactly what i would see. It was Bob. i hadnt seen him in a long time but I knew Gods message was clear.We talked and I gave him the tract and told him all that God had done in my life.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:09:16 AM

My mate believed he talked to god, he also would take pictures and move the camera when he took the pic , so it looked like a streak . He had rocks that God gave him to. He injected a lot of drugs , I ain't getting into the how , but he is not with us no more . Rip Carl. Bummer I can't religion forum tonight no more . Good day.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:14:51 AM
At 3/9/2016 2:39:21 AM, Composer wrote:
Which God?

Any God or Gods.
Thanks!

In my long experience successfully busting religions this same question has arisen many times!

No one has been able to prove that any alleged experience they claim to have had emanated from ANY literal Supernatural being of any kind!
No one has? Would like to see evidence you have met and investigated everyone in order to make this ridiculous statement that "no one" has. You simply over compensate to seem definitive in your position. Hint. It's obviously a non claim.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:20:04 AM
Which God?

Any God or Gods.
Thanks!

At 3/10/2016 8:14:51 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
No one has? Would like to see evidence you have met and investigated everyone in order to make this ridiculous statement that "no one" has. You simply over compensate to seem definitive in your position. Hint. It's obviously a non claim.

By all means should you know of any one that has and is telling the truth then by all means provide their proofs?

Meanwhile ' no one has ' remains vindicated!
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:31:42 AM
At 3/10/2016 8:20:04 AM, Composer wrote:
Which God?

Any God or Gods.
Thanks!

By all means should you know of any one that has and is telling the truth then by all means provide their proofs?

Lmao. Have you met everyone? Typical deflection though.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:40:46 AM
At 3/10/2016 8:20:04 AM, Composer wrote:
Which God?

Any God or Gods.
Thanks!

At 3/10/2016 8:31:42 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Lmao. Have you met everyone? Typical deflection though.
I have not met every one!

Don't need to!

Not a single person has ever stepped forward to demonstrate with proofs they have had a personal encounter with a literal Supernatural God(s)/a God.

Not sure how long the JREF challenge has been running, but so far no one has even met the pre-requisites - (Composer's source: http://www.randi.org...) - (Challenge now made even easier: Link: http://www.randi.org...)

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs!

I accept YOU don't have such proofs either!

Your vindicated Mentor, Moi!
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 3:19:18 PM
At 3/10/2016 7:37:42 AM, VirBinarus wrote:

On the way to church I stopped at a winn dixie (supermarket in florida) to get something and got on line to pay. I felt Gods presence overwhelm me.

I believe that it is. But I dont always feel like it is if that makes sense. Most of the time I go about my life but sometimes I feel Gods presence more than others. Usually theres a reason for this.
I tingled with anxiety. As I turned around in the line I knew exactly what i would see. It was Bob. i hadnt seen him in a long time but I knew Gods message was clear.We talked and I gave him the tract and told him all that God had done in my life.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 3:43:30 PM
At 3/10/2016 3:19:18 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

I believe that it is. But I dont always feel like it is if that makes sense. Most of the time I go about my life but sometimes I feel Gods presence more than others. Usually theres a reason for this.

What does God's presence feel like, exactly? And, how do you distinguish these feelings from any other normal biological feeling?

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 4:07:30 PM
At 3/10/2016 3:43:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

What does God's presence feel like, exactly? And, how do you distinguish these feelings from any other normal biological feeling?
Great question. At this particular example Like i said it was anxiety sort of. It was like anticipation all over me. It was like have things flash before me too rapidly to comprehend. But at the same time as I turned I knew what i would see, it all made sense.

If your question is how do I distinguish these things as being supernatural as compared to biological I guess i would have to take what I was feeling and match it to what realistic thing was happening.

In this case I could say that out of the blue I had a dream about an old friend and in that dream he was in trouble and by coincidence I ran into him the very next day just after praying about it and having a very strange feeling experience. I could say that and it would write off anything supernatural. It would have just been a very strange coincidence.
But these things happen to me over and over throughout my life. Little things that happen. Not big huge burning bushes just little subtle things.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 4:34:50 PM
At 3/10/2016 4:07:30 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Great question. At this particular example Like i said it was anxiety sort of. It was like anticipation all over me. It was like have things flash before me too rapidly to comprehend. But at the same time as I turned I knew what i would see, it all made sense.

If your question is how do I distinguish these things as being supernatural as compared to biological I guess i would have to take what I was feeling and match it to what realistic thing was happening.

In this case I could say that out of the blue I had a dream about an old friend and in that dream he was in trouble and by coincidence I ran into him the very next day just after praying about it and having a very strange feeling experience. I could say that and it would write off anything supernatural. It would have just been a very strange coincidence.
But these things happen to me over and over throughout my life. Little things that happen. Not big huge burning bushes just little subtle things.

But, those subtle little coincidences happen to everyone. Let me try to explain.

Coincidences, such as running into someone you know is a likely probability, much higher in a small town over a big city, for example, but the probability exists and people do in fact run into each unexpectedly, whether we thought about them or not.

And, that's the clincher, we think about the people we know often, and it is often that when we think about them, we never do run into them. It is the one time that we have thought about someone whereupon we run into them the next day that leaves such an impression in our minds, but we have conveniently forgotten the many times before that we thought about them and didn't see them. We certainly don't make a big deal about running into someone that we haven't thought about.

And, we certainly don't jump to supernatural conclusions, we merely chuckle at the mathematical probability coming to fruition in front of our very eyes.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 4:49:00 PM
What the Hindu sages and rishi's and Buddhusts monks have been saying about their transcendental spiritual experiences is now being confirmed by neurologists. The scientific evidence for the presence of God.

The Neurobiology of God.
http://alternative-doctor.com...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:10:51 PM
At 3/10/2016 4:49:00 PM, Harikrish wrote:
What the Hindu sages and rishi's and Buddhusts monks have been saying about their transcendental spiritual experiences is now being confirmed by neurologists. The scientific evidence for the presence of God.

The Neurobiology of God.

LOL. Did you actually read the article?

"Even if these feelings of oneness and awe fall short of the personal experiences of God that many people report, anyone who still doubts the brain"s ability to generate religious experiences need only visit neuroscientist Michael Persinger at Laurentian University in the bleak nickel-mining town of Sudbury, Ontario. He claims almost anyone can meet God, just by wearing his special helmet.

For several years, Persinger has been using a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation to induce all sorts of surreal experiences in ordinary people (New Scientist, 19 November 1994, p 29). Through trial and error and a bit of educated guesswork, he"s found that a weak magnetic field"1 microtesla, which is roughly that generated by a computer monitor"rotating anticlockwise in a complex pattern about the temporal lobes will cause four out of five people to feel a spectral presence in the room with them.

What people make of that presence depends on their own biases and beliefs. If a loved one has recently died, they may feel that person has returned to see them. Religious types often identify the presence as God. "This is all in the laboratory, so you can imagine what would happen if the person is alone in their bed at night or in a church, where the context is so important," he says. "
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:43:55 PM
At 3/10/2016 5:10:51 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

The Neurobiology of God.

You are not asking the right question because you don't get it. The implications of these findings go beyond your average forum discussion. I have repeated said the Christians here as scripturally illiterate and the atheists took too long to branch off from their common ancestor monkeys and evolved little beyond them.
What you should be asking is whether our brain wiring creates God, or whether God created our brain wiring.
The scientists just discovered the seat of God in our brains. But they cannot tell if God put it there or the reason it it there.
"Even if these feelings of oneness and awe fall short of the personal experiences of God that many people report, anyone who still doubts the brain"s ability to generate religious experiences need only visit neuroscientist Michael Persinger at Laurentian University in the bleak nickel-mining town of Sudbury, Ontario. He claims almost anyone can meet God, just by wearing his special helmet.

For several years, Persinger has been using a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation to induce all sorts of surreal experiences in ordinary people (New Scientist, 19 November 1994, p 29). Through trial and error and a bit of educated guesswork, he"s found that a weak magnetic field"1 microtesla, which is roughly that generated by a computer monitor"rotating anticlockwise in a complex pattern about the temporal lobes will cause four out of five people to feel a spectral presence in the room with them.

What people make of that presence depends on their own biases and beliefs. If a loved one has recently died, they may feel that person has returned to see them. Religious types often identify the presence as God. "This is all in the laboratory, so you can imagine what would happen if the person is alone in their bed at night or in a church, where the context is so important," he says. "
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:49:57 PM
At 3/10/2016 5:43:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:

The Neurobiology of God.

You are not asking the right question because you don't get it. The implications of these findings go beyond your average forum discussion. I have repeated said the Christians here as scripturally illiterate and the atheists took too long to branch off from their common ancestor monkeys and evolved little beyond them.
What you should be asking is whether our brain wiring creates God, or whether God created our brain wiring.
The scientists just discovered the seat of God in our brains. But they cannot tell if God put it there or the reason it it there.

All you had to say was, no, and you didn't read the article. No need to blather and bleat.

Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:07:51 PM
At 3/10/2016 4:34:50 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

But, those subtle little coincidences happen to everyone. Let me try to explain.

Coincidences, such as running into someone you know is a likely probability, much higher in a small town over a big city, for example, but the probability exists and people do in fact run into each unexpectedly, whether we thought about them or not.

And, that's the clincher, we think about the people we know often, and it is often that when we think about them, we never do run into them. It is the one time that we have thought about someone whereupon we run into them the next day that leaves such an impression in our minds, but we have conveniently forgotten the many times before that we thought about them and didn't see them. We certainly don't make a big deal about running into someone that we haven't thought about.

And, we certainly don't jump to supernatural conclusions, we merely chuckle at the mathematical probability coming to fruition in front of our very eyes.

Indeed that is the other way to look at it. But I have chance coincidences all the time. Like you said everyone does. When I relate it to the supernatural is when other things are involved as well. But to your point I live my life with God on my mind always so for me to see something as supernatural could be because I want it to be supernatural. I understand that fully.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:19:21 PM
At 3/10/2016 6:07:51 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Indeed that is the other way to look at it. But I have chance coincidences all the time. Like you said everyone does. When I relate it to the supernatural is when other things are involved as well. But to your point I live my life with God on my mind always so for me to see something as supernatural could be because I want it to be supernatural. I understand that fully.

And, it is valued that you admit that what you want your world to be is not necessarily aligned with reality and you are good with that. That's being honest.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:24:59 PM
At 3/10/2016 6:19:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:07:51 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

And, it is valued that you admit that what you want your world to be is not necessarily aligned with reality and you are good with that. That's being honest.

It may be aligned with reality, I think it is, but yes it may not be. But I honestly do believe in what I believe in. I would not take the course of Pascals wager. I do think that God is real. But if he is not then it wont really matter will it lol. We will all be the same then.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:35:56 PM

The Neurobiology of God.

And C2H6O can make you think you're falling in love with that girl over there. You can stimulate all sorts of things in the brain artificially.

But here's the thing: Love, or sexual attraction, that's a real thing. Smells, sounds, etc., anything that my be hallucinated, they correspond to genuine senses. We have senses and optimized sections of our brains (like language) because they correlate to an external reality.

So the logical conclusion of this kind of science is that there is a God. Why else would our brains have a God interface? ESPECIALLY when you consider that there is no obvious physical purpose accomplished by a God instinct, the way sight or hunger directly benefit us. Or, if there is a benefit to the God instinct, that would mean that we *should* believe in God and attempt to shut up those people who insist on derailing a useful human function.

I'm so glad I don't have to defend the irrational atheist position. It must be exhausting.
This space for rent.