Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Teaching children your own religion

ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 6:54:25 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I know you do this in good faith , but I'm going to try it differently
What about the great God cleanor. He demands you clean up after yourself, share and be kind . To worship him you must be quite for 30 mins . And make mummy a coffee . Or he makes you sad and not have fun. That's might be borderline child abuse , hey? It's not that much different to what Santa ask from the little ones . I'm going to invent the quiet god , who demands quiet . Or he eats kids. Or the great lord Lego. He demands great behavior. No kid is finding god that's for sure. Unless his a ninja turtle ,
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:07:16 AM
Posted: 8 months ago

I know you do this in good faith , but I'm going to try it differently
What about the great God cleanor. He demands you clean up after yourself, share and be kind . To worship him you must be quite for 30 mins . And make mummy a coffee . Or he makes you sad and not have fun. That's might be borderline child abuse , hey? It's not that much different to what Santa ask from the little ones . I'm going to invent the quiet god , who demands quiet . Or he eats kids. Or the great lord Lego. He demands great behavior. No kid is finding god that's for sure. Unless his a ninja turtle ,

I see the point you are trying to make. However, there is a difference between fun and games with santa or other made up beings to humour children or even to teach them something to God/religion. Namely the fact that when children grow up, the joke/game loses its novelty and they are taught the truth. This clearly does not happen with religion and so is incomparable.
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:16:17 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter.

Your triple negative confused me slightly, and I don't think you intended to have that many. If we cancel 2 of them out we get:

Clearly young children are impressionable and is it unfair that they are given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter.

Discuss.

By the time I was 11, (so after my most impressionable years were over), I was an atheist, with Christian parents. So I knew quite a bit about the Bible, but I didn't believe much of it. It all became real to me when I went on a Christian camp. It was a week of being with other 11-14 year olds, some in my position, some strong Christians. It somehow became real to me then. Not through my eleven years of indoctrination.

It's easy as a Christian child to ignore God. There are enough sources telling you it's false. Atheist friends, yourself, (indirectly) movies. These all point you away from God, even when you're only 9-11, like it did to me.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:30:50 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Your triple negative confused me slightly, and I don't think you intended to have that many. If we cancel 2 of them out we get:

Clearly young children are impressionable and is it unfair that they are given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter.

Discuss.

By the time I was 11, (so after my most impressionable years were over), I was an atheist, with Christian parents. So I knew quite a bit about the Bible, but I didn't believe much of it. It all became real to me when I went on a Christian camp. It was a week of being with other 11-14 year olds, some in my position, some strong Christians. It somehow became real to me then. Not through my eleven years of indoctrination.

It's easy as a Christian child to ignore God. There are enough sources telling you it's false. Atheist friends, yourself, (indirectly) movies. These all point you away from God, even when you're only 9-11, like it did to me.

Agreed, that first sentence was poorly worded.
In regards to your claim that it is easy for a Christian child to ignore God however, I feel as though this is a statement that can only be related to your life. How often is it the case that, when asking someone why they believe in God, they answer with they were taught to (e.g by their parents/school). Fair enough to you for being able to reason logically once getting a bit older, but for many this is not something that happens, even prohibited.
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:44:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Discuss.

By the time I was 11, (so after my most impressionable years were over), I was an atheist, with Christian parents. So I knew quite a bit about the Bible, but I didn't believe much of it. It all became real to me when I went on a Christian camp. It was a week of being with other 11-14 year olds, some in my position, some strong Christians. It somehow became real to me then. Not through my eleven years of indoctrination.

Having just reread this i noticed that you said that it 'somehow' became real to you after you went to Christian camp... Surely Christian camp at the age of 11 is arguably more indoctrinating than all of those first 11 years? I phrase this as a question since i don't know exactly what it entails. However, what i can say is that 11-14 is definitely still an impressionable age and it's easy to imagine how a camp like that could make a believer out of a young non-believer.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:07:41 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 7:16:17 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter.

Your triple negative confused me slightly, and I don't think you intended to have that many. If we cancel 2 of them out we get:

Clearly young children are impressionable and is it unfair that they are given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter.

Discuss.

By the time I was 11, (so after my most impressionable years were over), I was an atheist, with Christian parents. So I knew quite a bit about the Bible, but I didn't believe much of it. It all became real to me when I went on a Christian camp. It was a week of being with other 11-14 year olds, some in my position, some strong Christians. It somehow became real to me then. Not through my eleven years of indoctrination.

It's easy as a Christian child to ignore God. There are enough sources telling you it's false. Atheist friends, yourself, (indirectly) movies. These all point you away from God, even when you're only 9-11, like it did to me.
Atheist by eleven. At least the argument that education results in atheism is no longer viable. At least ur an honest atheist. Most I've seen say it's their higher education that leads to atheism. Of course I expect a justification that an eleven year old has enough education to make the choice to believe there is no God. Just don't see too much of that position. Lol
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:09:36 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.
Would like to see the evidence that God doesn't find children or vice versa. You really have no clue about humanity. You only have a clue about your biased sample you're citing or attempting to address.
Discuss.
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:11:13 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Atheist by eleven. At least the argument that education results in atheism is no longer viable. At least ur an honest atheist. Most I've seen say it's their higher education that leads to atheism. Of course I expect a justification that an eleven year old has enough education to make the choice to believe there is no God. Just don't see too much of that position. Lol

It wasn't clear to me at first either, but i'm pretty sure he's saying that he isn't an atheist. I think he's saying he was a Christian, then an atheist and now a Christian again.
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:15:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Would like to see the evidence that God doesn't find children or vice versa. You really have no clue about humanity. You only have a clue about your biased sample you're citing or attempting to address.
Discuss.

Not sure what you mean about me having no clue about humanity .. But I wasn't actually saying that God does or doesn't find children/people. I was saying that If God does then why not let him do that instead of teaching children that there only is one way/one God etc?
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,861
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:30:17 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 8:15:11 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
Would like to see the evidence that God doesn't find children or vice versa. You really have no clue about humanity. You only have a clue about your biased sample you're citing or attempting to address.
Discuss.

Not sure what you mean about me having no clue about humanity .. But I wasn't actually saying that God does or doesn't find children/people. I was saying that If God does then why not let him do that instead of teaching children that there only is one way/one God etc?
Well if getting hit by a car at thirty miles an hour teaches a child how painful getting hit by a car is why not just let them learn it via experience? You can apply your reasoning to any subject. You don't honestly think you're going to get reasonable answers. Atheists will claim genetic fallacy. Christians will claim it's a good moral base to begin with. Agnostics will claim all knowledge is good and may or may not be actual knowledge. Lol
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:43:44 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 8:30:17 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 3/10/2016 8:15:11 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
Would like to see the evidence that God doesn't find children or vice versa. You really have no clue about humanity. You only have a clue about your biased sample you're citing or attempting to address.
Discuss.

Not sure what you mean about me having no clue about humanity .. But I wasn't actually saying that God does or doesn't find children/people. I was saying that If God does then why not let him do that instead of teaching children that there only is one way/one God etc?
Well if getting hit by a car at thirty miles an hour teaches a child how painful getting hit by a car is why not just let them learn it via experience? You can apply your reasoning to any subject. You don't honestly think you're going to get reasonable answers. Atheists will claim genetic fallacy. Christians will claim it's a good moral base to begin with. Agnostics will claim all knowledge is good and may or may not be actual knowledge. Lol

Except your example is a universally understood concept. Much like don't put your fork in the toaster. Whereas like you say .. religious people/atheists/agnostics all have different ideas and so is it not fair to the child to allow him/her to explore all of them as opposed to being told one is right and another is wrong? And in terms of teaching kids about morals, that can also be done without religion.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:48:06 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

It depends how you look at it. If the religion/value system you offer them is destructive then that would be abuse.

If your religion/value system lifts them up and givrs them inner strength, and hope it would be abuse to not share it and doing nothing to keep them from the antireligion that offers onthing beyond self to lean on, gives no hope, and has the highest suicide rate of all "religions/anti-religions."
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:50:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
"Why do Atheists have Highest Suicide Rates"

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com...

Seeing I know this is it not abuse to offer them this belief system?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 7:15:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

The funny part is that most Christians in the US grow up in a melting pot. When I was a kid there were so many various beliefs and positions it's hard to keep up with them all. Funny how atheists and non believers put so much emphasis on indoctrination, church attendance and parents like it actually is a real threat lol, all the kids I knew growing up didn't give a rats behind what their parents thought or told them to do and as a matter of fact I was one of the rare few who actually applied spirituality as a young kid and loved God with my whole heart despite everything going on around me.

My children being raised in the same areas with a mixing pot of all beliefs, colors and sizes they have every chance in the world to engage and explore ideas and customs, especially in the school system and all the friends they acquire. They know all about atheism, various religions and beliefs so there is no shortage or restrictions on their minds to think, consider and choose and actually, I think they get more from friends and acquaintances than they do from parenting...
What I have found also is that kids naturally gravitate towards truth and real fundamental qualities and values if they are taught in freedom and maybe that is why they also gravitate towards God at an early age, before all the temptation and carnal desires take over, myself and my own children really have a heart to seek God and know His ways and they possess a natural tendency to interact and listen. That doesn't come through indoctrination and church attendance or even the good ol parents forcing it, rather simply through an organic tendency. When I was a kid I would think about God and talk to Him almost non<x>stop on my own accord.

I personally don't force religion or beliefs down my children's throats, they know and understand what I trust to be the truth BUT they also have complete freedom in thought and desires.

I agree with you 100% to allow their own awakening and God reaching them, but don't forget about foundation... in Christianity the focus is on the example of Jesus, and through that example no one can lose morally or spiritually because all of the law is fulfilled in love. When love has saturated the entire being of a person there is no law that can be broken or morality that can be compromised and this is a solid foundation for anyone. Do we need Jesus for that.....? maybe not but it doesn't eliminate the need for inspiration and accountability and there is no finer example than Jesus IMO in that regard. I don't think a kid or child could gain anything corrupt or misleading about what Jesus taught unless of course one is an atheist but then again...to teach or instruct a child that there is no God is in itself indoctrinating and unfair.
Jesus instructs quality of life and spirituality, both the material and the spiritual are important not just one or the other and Jesus meets both of these qualities. I think it is fair and genuine to introduce a child to spirituality, not by force but by their own involvement, curiosity and timing.
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:18:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 8:11:13 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
Atheist by eleven. At least the argument that education results in atheism is no longer viable. At least ur an honest atheist. Most I've seen say it's their higher education that leads to atheism. Of course I expect a justification that an eleven year old has enough education to make the choice to believe there is no God. Just don't see too much of that position. Lol

It wasn't clear to me at first either, but i'm pretty sure he's saying that he isn't an atheist. I think he's saying he was a Christian, then an atheist and now a Christian again.

oh ok. To make it clearer. (you're gonna laugh at some of this)

1-6 - I don't have a clue
7-8 - knew the Bible, but wasn't really christian
9-10 - Greek pantheon! (too much Rick Riordan)
10-11 - How could I have been so stupid. None of that makes sense. Neither does Christianity, I mean, a big boat... really? and surely God can't be loving like that. I was asking so many questions that I've seen on this forum recently.
11 - went on a ventures camp. God suddenly made 100% sense to me. This video summs it up: https://www.youtube.com... .
I was no longer coming up with questions, but answers to those questions.

However, what I can say is that 11-14 is definitely still an impressionable age and it's easy to imagine how a camp like that could make a believer out of a young non-believer.

Yes, but I was entirely sceptical, and this turned it around. And not only was I remembering answers to those questions, but I was coming up with my own, and had a longing for more of God.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.
Stronn
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:32:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 5:50:38 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
"Why do Atheists have Highest Suicide Rates"

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com...

Seeing I know this is it not abuse to offer them this belief system?

The study that you reference has been thoroughly discredited at http://freethoughtblogs.com.... In short, the study's religious authors leap to a conclusion that is completely unsupported by their evidence.
Flaws include the following.

1. The study looked at 371 people who were already depressed, to the point of being admitted. This is hardly a representative sample of the general population.

2. Atheism was not even a category. The only non-religious category was "religiously unaffiliated". This could include believers who do not identify with a particular denomination.

3. It failed to distinguish between religious affiliation and the mere fact of having a social support group.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:19:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I was raised a devout Christian. By the time I had kids almost 20 years ago, I had transitioned into a Christian that didn't take the Bible literally. My kids were raised with Christianity, went to church, etc.

I taught my kids to think for themselves and to question what people tell them. I believed (and still do) that scrutiny only makes the truth stronger. If Christianity was real then they would simply have a better understanding as to why they are a Christian.

Long story short, I am now Pantheistic leaning agnostic and my kids pretty much believe the same. I think Christianity has as much credibility as Islam, Mormonism, Scientology, etc and they share the same opinion.

I believe the only way to keep kids religious is to teach them not to question "authority" and don't ask hard questions.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:00:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Some of the key principles of psychology concerning good mental health are:

-A sense of meaning and purpose

-Not focusing on the negative

-Letting go of guilt

-Focusing on the positive

-Feeling safe/safe environment

-Having deep, meaningful friendships

-----

--So, let's check out the type of religion/beliefs I was offered as a child vs. Atheism.

-----YOUTUBE-----

Joel Olsteen, Christian

http://youtu.be...

Billy Graham

http://youtu.be...

Joyce Meyer

http://youtu.be...

VS.

--Atheist Leaders

Christopher Hitchens

http://youtu.be...

Richard Dawkins

http://youtu.be...

Bill Maher

http://youtu.be...

-----

ATHEISM

-----

"Religion teaches the dangerous nonsense that death is not the end."

-- Richard Dawkins, "Religion's Misguided Missiles" (September 15, 2001)

-----

An example of Atheism denying purpose:

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."

-- Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life (1995), quoted from Victor J Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001)

-----

An example of Atheism denying purpose:

"In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice."

-- Richard Dawkins, "God's Utility Function," published in Scientific American (November, 1995), p. 85

-----

Focusing on the negative:

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but indifferent.

-- Richard Dawkins, on describing how one need only look upon nature where the wasp lays her eggs inside the body of a living caterpillar in order to dispense with the idea that the Universe is supervised by a benevolent deity, in The Devil's Chaplain (2004)

-----

Example of Negative/complacent focus:

"Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

--Christopher Hitchens

-----
-----

CHRISTIANS

Positive focus + deeper meaning + not ever "being alone", deep friendship(With God)

"Don"t ever hesitate to take to God whatever is on your heart."He already knows it anyway,"but He doesn"t want you to bear its pain or celebrate its joy alone."

-Billy Graham

-----

Relinquishing self guilt:

"When God forgives us and purifies us of our sin, He also forgets it."Forgiveness results in God dropping the charges against us.

-----

Positive focus:

"Life is just a schoolroom with a glorious opportunity"to prepare us for eternity."

-Billy Graham

-----

When you are tempted to get discouraged, remind yourself that according to God"s word, your future is getting brighter; you are on your way to a new level of glory. You may think you"ve got a long way to go, but you need to look back at how far you"ve already come. You may not be everything you want to be but at least you can thank God that you"re not what you used to be."

-Joel Olsteen

-----

"If you"ll dare to take your mind off your troubles, get your mind off your own needs and, instead, seek to be a blessing to other people, God will do more for you than you could even ask or think."

-Joel Olsteen

-----
-----

-Children talk about praying

http://youtu.be...

-Child praying

http://youtu.be...

-Baby During Prayer

http://youtu.be...

-Toddler caught on cam praying

http://youtu.be...

-----
-----

-The unifying factor of Christianity-

"The Majesty and Glory of Your Name"

http://youtu.be...

"FDR's Moving Prayer"

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:04:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I fought in a war, graduated from college, engineer different machines, and have studied every major religion plus many nonmajor ones. I have studied history, physics, astronomy, biology, and philosophy extensively. I have listened to Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher extensively, and am with Christ. I have used a combination of prayer, rationale, logic, philosophies, and prophecy to come to my conclusion.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:39:00 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Children praying

http://youtu.be...

Children on prayer

http://youtu.be...

Children praying and singing

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:40:46 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 9:32:34 PM, Stronn wrote:
At 3/10/2016 5:50:38 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
"Why do Atheists have Highest Suicide Rates"

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com...

Seeing I know this is it not abuse to offer them this belief system?

The study that you reference has been thoroughly discredited at http://freethoughtblogs.com.... In short, the study's religious authors leap to a conclusion that is completely unsupported by their evidence.
Flaws include the following.

1. The study looked at 371 people who were already depressed, to the point of being admitted. This is hardly a representative sample of the general population.

2. Atheism was not even a category. The only non-religious category was "religiously unaffiliated". This could include believers who do not identify with a particular denomination.

3. It failed to distinguish between religious affiliation and the mere fact of having a social support group.

Who do you lean on in your weakness? What will keep you going? What will inspire you when the chips down?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 6:18:48 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 7:15:34 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

The funny part is that most Christians in the US grow up in a melting pot. When I was a kid there were so many various beliefs and positions it's hard to keep up with them all. Funny how atheists and non believers put so much emphasis on indoctrination, church attendance and parents like it actually is a real threat lol, all the kids I knew growing up didn't give a rats behind what their parents thought or told them to do and as a matter of fact I was one of the rare few who actually applied spirituality as a young kid and loved God with my whole heart despite everything going on around me.

My children being raised in the same areas with a mixing pot of all beliefs, colors and sizes they have every chance in the world to engage and explore ideas and customs, especially in the school system and all the friends they acquire. They know all about atheism, various religions and beliefs so there is no shortage or restrictions on their minds to think, consider and choose and actually, I think they get more from friends and acquaintances than they do from parenting...
What I have found also is that kids naturally gravitate towards truth and real fundamental qualities and values if they are taught in freedom and maybe that is why they also gravitate towards God at an early age, before all the temptation and carnal desires take over, myself and my own children really have a heart to seek God and know His ways and they possess a natural tendency to interact and listen. That doesn't come through indoctrination and church attendance or even the good ol parents forcing it, rather simply through an organic tendency. When I was a kid I would think about God and talk to Him almost non<x>stop on my own accord.

I personally don't force religion or beliefs down my children's throats, they know and understand what I trust to be the truth BUT they also have complete freedom in thought and desires.

I agree with you 100% to allow their own awakening and God reaching them, but don't forget about foundation... in Christianity the focus is on the example of Jesus, and through that example no one can lose morally or spiritually because all of the law is fulfilled in love. When love has saturated the entire being of a person there is no law that can be broken or morality that can be compromised and this is a solid foundation for anyone. Do we need Jesus for that.....? maybe not but it doesn't eliminate the need for inspiration and accountability and there is no finer example than Jesus IMO in that regard. I don't think a kid or child could gain anything corrupt or misleading about what Jesus taught unless of course one is an atheist but then again...to teach or instruct a child that there is no God is in itself indoctrinating and unfair.
Jesus instructs quality of life and spirituality, both the material and the spiritual are important not just one or the other and Jesus meets both of these qualities. I think it is fair and genuine to introduce a child to spirituality, not by force but by their own involvement, curiosity and timing.

I respect your beliefs, and you're approach to teaching your kids clearly allows freedom in some respect. However, remember this isn't just about Jesus and Christianity. There are obviously other religious teachings that are a bit less 'ethical', examples point towards the Old testament and the Quran.
ellomate123
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 6:31:16 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.

If an atheist taught their children that religion is wrong and it's all a lie i wouldn't agree with that either. I grew up with the freedom to learn about all religions and it was my understanding of them all that allowed me to respectfully disagree with them. That also came from an original belief in God at a young age and so of course i don't believe either side of the debate should be able to tell their children that their view is definitely right.

In regards to getting plenty of scientific knowledge in school, i hope that would be the case so long as instances like this don't take place:
That is just a video talking about schools in the US trying to teach creationism in science/evolution class.
https://www.youtube.com...
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:19:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 6:31:16 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.

If an atheist taught their children that religion is wrong and it's all a lie i wouldn't agree with that either. I grew up with the freedom to learn about all religions and it was my understanding of them all that allowed me to respectfully disagree with them. That also came from an original belief in God at a young age and so of course i don't believe either side of the debate should be able to tell their children that their view is definitely right.

In regards to getting plenty of scientific knowledge in school, i hope that would be the case so long as instances like this don't take place:
That is just a video talking about schools in the US trying to teach creationism in science/evolution class.
https://www.youtube.com...

The problem as pointed out in the video is that creationism is not science and therefore should not be taught in a science class. The other problem is that in a science class science teachers do not only teach evolution but insult religion and in some cases (like that of my oldest son) insult the children that are believers.

Science should teach only science but it should be done by presenting what science calls facts and not as a rebuttal to creationism.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:57:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 1:19:55 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/11/2016 6:31:16 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.

If an atheist taught their children that religion is wrong and it's all a lie i wouldn't agree with that either. I grew up with the freedom to learn about all religions and it was my understanding of them all that allowed me to respectfully disagree with them. That also came from an original belief in God at a young age and so of course i don't believe either side of the debate should be able to tell their children that their view is definitely right.

In regards to getting plenty of scientific knowledge in school, i hope that would be the case so long as instances like this don't take place:
That is just a video talking about schools in the US trying to teach creationism in science/evolution class.
https://www.youtube.com...

The problem as pointed out in the video is that creationism is not science and therefore should not be taught in a science class. The other problem is that in a science class science teachers do not only teach evolution but insult religion and in some cases (like that of my oldest son) insult the children that are believers.

Science should teach only science but it should be done by presenting what science calls facts and not as a rebuttal to creationism.
Is your son trying to make a case for creationism?
Then perhaps the ridicule is warranted, if he brings fantasy into a science then what would you expect?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 1:57:52 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:19:55 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/11/2016 6:31:16 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.

If an atheist taught their children that religion is wrong and it's all a lie i wouldn't agree with that either. I grew up with the freedom to learn about all religions and it was my understanding of them all that allowed me to respectfully disagree with them. That also came from an original belief in God at a young age and so of course i don't believe either side of the debate should be able to tell their children that their view is definitely right.

In regards to getting plenty of scientific knowledge in school, i hope that would be the case so long as instances like this don't take place:
That is just a video talking about schools in the US trying to teach creationism in science/evolution class.
https://www.youtube.com...

The problem as pointed out in the video is that creationism is not science and therefore should not be taught in a science class. The other problem is that in a science class science teachers do not only teach evolution but insult religion and in some cases (like that of my oldest son) insult the children that are believers.

Science should teach only science but it should be done by presenting what science calls facts and not as a rebuttal to creationism.
Is your son trying to make a case for creationism?
Then perhaps the ridicule is warranted, if he brings fantasy into a science then what would you expect?

No sir, its just the mentality some of these teachers have. Its sounds far fetched but its true. My son is 18 now and still does not have his mind made up on what he really believes. He does believe in God but has done no real research on the subject. His teachers started day one by asking who believes in the invisible man.
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:10:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 1:57:52 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:19:55 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/11/2016 6:31:16 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 9:29:40 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 3/10/2016 6:03:18 AM, ellomate123 wrote:
What is a religious person's perspective on teaching your own children about your religion. Clearly young children are impressionable and is it not unfair that they are not given a chance to even consider the fact that there may not be a God or even other religions for that matter. Religious people often make claims of God reaching them in dreams etc .. If God is able to do this then why not allow God to find your child instead of formulating their own beliefs for them.

Discuss.

I feel that its a parents Job to introduce their children to the bible. They will get plenty of the science stuff in school.
How do you feel about an atheist raising there children never giving them an opportunity to learn the bible and getting only negative views of God in school?
The former at least lets them see both sides so they can make their own personal choice.

If an atheist taught their children that religion is wrong and it's all a lie i wouldn't agree with that either. I grew up with the freedom to learn about all religions and it was my understanding of them all that allowed me to respectfully disagree with them. That also came from an original belief in God at a young age and so of course i don't believe either side of the debate should be able to tell their children that their view is definitely right.

In regards to getting plenty of scientific knowledge in school, i hope that would be the case so long as instances like this don't take place:
That is just a video talking about schools in the US trying to teach creationism in science/evolution class.
https://www.youtube.com...

The problem as pointed out in the video is that creationism is not science and therefore should not be taught in a science class. The other problem is that in a science class science teachers do not only teach evolution but insult religion and in some cases (like that of my oldest son) insult the children that are believers.

Science should teach only science but it should be done by presenting what science calls facts and not as a rebuttal to creationism.
Is your son trying to make a case for creationism?
Then perhaps the ridicule is warranted, if he brings fantasy into a science then what would you expect?

Sorry for repost. I pluralized teacher where I didnt mean to. wish we had an edit pr delete function for posts

No sir, its just the mentality some of these teachers have. Its sounds far fetched but its true. My son is 18 now and still does not have his mind made up on what he really believes. He does believe in God but has done no real research on the subject. His teacher started day one by asking who believes in the invisible man.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:54:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 3:04:40 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
I fought in a war, graduated from college, engineer different machines, and have studied every major religion plus many nonmajor ones. I have studied history, physics, astronomy, biology, and philosophy extensively. I have listened to Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher extensively, and am with Christ. I have used a combination of prayer, rationale, logic, philosophies, and prophecy to come to my conclusion.

So, who are you and what have you done with that interesting person?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth