Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Life After Death?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do you believe in life after death?

Why do you believe in life after death?

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

What is it that survives after death?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:42:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

No.

Why do you believe in life after death?

I don't.

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

It doesn't work.

What is it that survives after death?

My rotting corpse?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:44:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

No.

Do you believe in life after love?

Why do you believe in life after death?

I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think I've got a soul, no

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

But after all is said and done
You're going to be decomposin'

What is it that survives after death?

Other people.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:46:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

Unsure, but given the following answers this time I will say, sure why not.

Why do you believe in life after death?

cause.

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

Well after we expereince something we have expereiced it, right? I mean If something happens to you as a child, it still affects you as an adult, right?
Same type of deal, and assuming its true, I would then say, we grow from it, and change even more after we die.

What is it that survives after death?

I'm going to guess essence, like spirit and mind or something like that.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:48:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

I do not believe in life after death. I do, however, believe in death after life.


Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

Good question.

What is it that survives after death?

Nothing (apart from the memories we leave behind). As some would put it, I do not have a body, I am a body.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:50:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:42:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

No.

Why do you believe in life after death?

I don't.

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

It doesn't work.

What is it that survives after death?

My rotting corpse? ---------->
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:57:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 12:50:47 AM, Freeman wrote:
At 11/10/2010 12:42:50 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/10/2010 12:40:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Do you believe in life after death?

No.

Why do you believe in life after death?

I don't.

Given that our personalities appear to be the product of physical causes how can life after death work?

It doesn't work.

What is it that survives after death?

My rotting corpse? ---------->



ROFL YES! My energy shall transcend dirt and gravel and instead, become the whispers in the willow and the hum of the river...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 1:01:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
For what it is worth I believe that consciousness is dependant of physical courses. The idea of a ghost, with the full personality and memories of the deceased seems absurd.

However I am open to the idea of an 'essence', and other ideas I can't quite express. Not very optimistic though.

Just wondered what other people thought really.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 1:28:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 1:01:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
For what it is worth I believe that consciousness is dependant of physical courses. The idea of a ghost, with the full personality and memories of the deceased seems absurd.

Depends on how you define ghost.

However I am open to the idea of an 'essence', and other ideas I can't quite express. Not very optimistic though.

Seems to be similar with what I said.

Just wondered what other people thought really.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 1:53:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"The notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality." -- Thich Nhat Hanh
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:02:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 1:53:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"The notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality." -- Thich Nhat Hanh

That makes absolutely no sense. I get that it's supposed to be "spiritual talk" and have a certain quality to the way things are phrased... but man, at least have logical content. Dieing can definitely be applied to reality. We come into the world through sex, and then our body functions for as long as it can until it can't work anymore, a part of it goes kaput and we stop functioning (a.k.a. die). So, maybe you can translate this for me in a way that actually makes sense? That might require you to get rid of the quote and start over anew.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Is it the point of perspective, the undelying you when all memories, knowledge and personality is stripped away. What I mean is this, when you say I think therefore I am, it is the bit that observes that statement. Not the bits that utter it or understands it. Does that make any sense? I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this concept of a core soul.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:06:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Is it the point of perspective, the undelying you when all memories, knowledge and personality is stripped away. What I mean is this, when you say I think therefore I am, it is the bit that observes that statement. Not the bits that utter it or understands it. Does that make any sense? I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this concept of a core soul.

Does a "core soul" differ from the commonly referred to, generic soul?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:13:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:06:40 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Is it the point of perspective, the undelying you when all memories, knowledge and personality is stripped away. What I mean is this, when you say I think therefore I am, it is the bit that observes that statement. Not the bits that utter it or understands it. Does that make any sense? I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this concept of a core soul.

Does a "core soul" differ from the commonly referred to, generic soul?

Most religions regard the soul as something that can suffer. I am suggesting the soul as the witness to existence incapable in of itself of opinions or personality.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:20:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Based on the quote, your character (qualities about you, not all of your memories/thoughts, that make you) is reborn, but there is no core soul that will transmigrate.

I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this concept of a core soul.

That's because such a concept is not possible.

"There is not a self residing in name and form, but the cooperation of the conformations produces what people call a man. Just as the word 'chariot' is but a mode of expression for axle, wheels, the chariot-body and other constituents in their proper combination, so a living being is the appearance of the groups ... as they are joined in a unit. There is no self in the carriage and there is no self in man. O bhikkhus, this doctrine is sure and an eternal truth, that there is no self outside of its parts. This self of ours which constitutes Name and Form is a combination of the groups ..., but there is no ego entity, no self in itself." -- the Buddha
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:27:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:13:59 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:06:40 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Is it the point of perspective, the undelying you when all memories, knowledge and personality is stripped away. What I mean is this, when you say I think therefore I am, it is the bit that observes that statement. Not the bits that utter it or understands it. Does that make any sense? I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this concept of a core soul.

Does a "core soul" differ from the commonly referred to, generic soul?

Most religions regard the soul as something that can suffer. I am suggesting the soul as the witness to existence incapable in of itself of opinions or personality.

Like an energy, or life force?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:31:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:02:45 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/10/2010 1:53:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"The notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality." -- Thich Nhat Hanh

That makes absolutely no sense. I get that it's supposed to be "spiritual talk" and have a certain quality to the way things are phrased... but man, at least have logical content.

In matters of empiricism, logic isn't required. Why is water made of 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen? It's not logical, it just is.

His quote is derived from observation, not logic.

Dieing can definitely be applied to reality. We come into the world through sex, and then our body functions for as long as it can until it can't work anymore, a part of it goes kaput and we stop functioning (a.k.a. die). So, maybe you can translate this for me in a way that actually makes sense? That might require you to get rid of the quote and start over anew.

Let me show the rest of the quote so you can see the full context.

"But if you look deeply, you can see the cloud in the rain and that is why it is impossible for a cloud to die. A cloud can become rain, or snow, or ice, but a cloud cannot be nothing. And that is why the notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality whether to a cloud or to a human being." -- Thich Nhat Hanh
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:43:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:31:07 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:02:45 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/10/2010 1:53:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"The notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality." -- Thich Nhat Hanh

That makes absolutely no sense. I get that it's supposed to be "spiritual talk" and have a certain quality to the way things are phrased... but man, at least have logical content.

In matters of empiricism, logic isn't required. Why is water made of 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen? It's not logical, it just is.

No, that's still logical. Open up a biology textbook and they can lay it out for you in a very simplistic form.

His quote is derived from observation, not logic.

Ah, that's why it makes no sense...

Dieing can definitely be applied to reality. We come into the world through sex, and then our body functions for as long as it can until it can't work anymore, a part of it goes kaput and we stop functioning (a.k.a. die). So, maybe you can translate this for me in a way that actually makes sense? That might require you to get rid of the quote and start over anew.

Let me show the rest of the quote so you can see the full context.

"But if you look deeply, you can see the cloud in the rain and that is why it is impossible for a cloud to die. A cloud can become rain, or snow, or ice, but a cloud cannot be nothing. And that is why the notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality whether to a cloud or to a human being." -- Thich Nhat Hanh

Uh, a cloud does not become rain - it produces rain. It does not become snow or ice, it produces RAIN which then turns into snow as it plummets to the ground due to low temperature which causes hydrogen molecules to expand (turning into hexagon shapes) which creates the basic structure for frozen H2O. And once it lands on the ground, it then continues to solidify and turn into ice. A cloud can be nothing since it is merely water vapor which can dissipate at any time. And then - poof - it's gone.

Look, I understand that Thich Nhat Hanh is trying to portray this idea of "continuation", that one form almost 'evolves' into another, without ever being 'nothing'. But, due to logic which I find to have a very strong role in this Life After Death conversation, I cannot accept that. Once something ceases to exist, it is no more. Even if it's water vapor or a human being, once it's gone... it's gone. So far you only have quotes to prove this idea of continuation... Anything else?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:59:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:43:48 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:31:07 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
In matters of empiricism, logic isn't required. Why is water made of 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen? It's not logical, it just is.

No, that's still logical. Open up a biology textbook and they can lay it out for you in a very simplistic form.

Wow, you seriously think empirical facts are logical? Something can only be considered a matter of logic if the 3 laws of logic apply or if any of the various formal and informal fallacies apply. Something is considered logical if it can be derived from logical induction or deduction.

Simple facts about reality like the chemical composition of water, are not matters of logic. If they were, we would be able to derive the composition of water purely from reason without ever having to observe a water molecule! Yet, this is not the case. We must observe the water molecule and we can't use pure reason and logic to infer the chemical composition of water!

His quote is derived from observation, not logic.

Ah, that's why it makes no sense...

I think you are abusing the term "logic."

"I observe that leaves grow from trees."
^^^^
That's a true statement, but such a fact is not logical, but can be known to be true through observation.

Let me show the rest of the quote so you can see the full context.

"But if you look deeply, you can see the cloud in the rain and that is why it is impossible for a cloud to die. A cloud can become rain, or snow, or ice, but a cloud cannot be nothing. And that is why the notion of death cannot be applied to reality. There is a transformation, there is a continuation. But you cannot say that there is death, because in your mind, to die means from something, you suddenly becoming nothing, from someone, you suddenly become no one. And so the notion of death cannot apply to reality whether to a cloud or to a human being." -- Thich Nhat Hanh

Uh, a cloud does not become rain - it produces rain.

False. The water vapor, which is the cloud, transforms into rain. You really think that a cloud is an independent entity that produces rain? A cloud turns into rain.

It does not become snow or ice, it produces RAIN which then turns into snow as it plummets to the ground due to low temperature which causes hydrogen molecules to expand (turning into hexagon shapes) which creates the basic structure for frozen H2O. And once it lands on the ground, it then continues to solidify and turn into ice.

You are missing the point of what he's saying. A cloud can and DOES actually become snow or ice. However, it has to go through several stages (the ones that you listed above), before the cloud becomes snow or ice. A cloud must always turn to rain before it turns to snow or ice obviously, but a cloud is still transformed into snow or ice, even if there are a few more steps inbetween.

A cloud can be nothing since it is merely water vapor which can dissipate at any time. And then - poof - it's gone.

Utterly false. That defies the law of conservation of matter and energy. The water vapor doesn't not become nothing or completely disappear. Merely dissipating means that the vapor has separated and scattered, but it hasn't been utterly destroyed. It still exists.

Look, I understand that Thich Nhat Hanh is trying to portray this idea of "continuation", that one form almost 'evolves' into another, without ever being 'nothing'. But, due to logic which I find to have a very strong role in this Life After Death conversation, I cannot accept that. Once something ceases to exist, it is no more.

The whole point is that it is impossible for something to cease to exist (again, law of conservation). It is only a transformation that occurs.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 3:29:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 2:20:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:04:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/10/2010 2:00:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words." -- the Buddha

So it is not the personality that is reborn, so what is?

Based on the quote, your character (qualities about you, not all of your memories/thoughts, that make you) is reborn, but there is no core soul that will transmigrate.

Oh it's cool. I misread it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 9:51:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know its been addressed, but ann I'm not really into science, if it was up to me, I wouldn't even be taking that class, I can't stand it.
But even I know about the laws of conservation, and yes clouds are made from water vapor, they don't stop existing, they change state from gas to liquid/solid fall to the earth and fullfill the water cycle.
I would have hoped that you would have understood that much...
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:33:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Where's DATCMOTO and Godsands these days? Is nobody going put the Christian point of view forward?

If the punters realise there's no afterlife they won't see any point in giving cash to the church and the vicars and priests will all go skint!

Anyway, there is life after death - at least if you have children - because a part of you lives on in them.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:51:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It has been my view for awhile that we really have no way of knowing what happens until after we die. We may end up in heaven/hell, get reincarnated, whatever other afterlifes exist, or nothing at all. It's not like we can go and ask dead people where they go after they die, lol. Also, people who have had near-death experiences have said they have seen things so that opens up possibilities too. Death is one of the biggest mysteries.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:54:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 10:51:52 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It has been my view for awhile that we really have no way of knowing what happens until after we die. We may end up in heaven/hell, get reincarnated, whatever other afterlifes exist, or nothing at all. It's not like we can go and ask dead people where they go after they die, lol. Also, people who have had near-death experiences have said they have seen things so that opens up possibilities too. Death is one of the biggest mysteries.

They tend to see lights. Which is interesting because I do too when I'm waking up from a deep sleep. Gives me a headache and makes me wish I were dead, breifly usually.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:56:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 10:51:52 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It has been my view for awhile that we really have no way of knowing what happens until after we die. We may end up in heaven/hell, get reincarnated, whatever other afterlifes exist, or nothing at all.

It's not like we can go and ask dead people where they go after they die, lol.

yes you can.

Also, people who have had near-death experiences have said they have seen things so that opens up possibilities too.

near death =/= death..

dying =/= death

Death is one of the biggest mysteries.

not from where I'm standing...

it seems to have to do with the Ceasing of brain function.. of Mind function... and body function.

and then decay.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:16:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 10:56:21 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

not from where I'm standing...

it seems to have to do with the Ceasing of brain function.. of Mind function... and body function.

and then decay.

That's only the physical body though... There's a bunch of other things that need to be factored in such as whether we have souls or not, etc.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:22:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:16:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
That's only the physical body though... There's a bunch of other things that need to be factored in such as whether we have souls or not, etc.

no... they don't, as there's no reason to believe in such things.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:23:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:16:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/10/2010 10:56:21 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

not from where I'm standing...

it seems to have to do with the Ceasing of brain function.. of Mind function... and body function.

and then decay.

That's only the physical body though...
There's a bunch of other things that need to be factored in such as whether we have souls or not, etc.

Before we can talk about the existence of a soul, first, what is a soul, what is it's nature, and is it philosohically possible?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:26:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:22:23 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 11/10/2010 11:16:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
That's only the physical body though... There's a bunch of other things that need to be factored in such as whether we have souls or not, etc.

no... they don't, as there's no reason to believe in such things.

It's pretty silly to say something doesn't exist because you personally think there's no reason to believe in it. That's not a very good reason not to believe in something.