Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why Do Atheists Want to Disprove Christianity

NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:18:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

There are threads addressing most of these. Considering the time you have been here, you haven't been paying attention.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:21:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:18:52 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

There are threads addressing most of these. Considering the time you have been here, you haven't been paying attention.
Okay, well, would you care to address my question?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:23:21 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:21:54 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:18:52 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

There are threads addressing most of these. Considering the time you have been here, you haven't been paying attention.
Okay, well, would you care to address my question?

About as much as you would care to search the threads for the answers...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:23:59 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

It is harder to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism because they are original religions and were developed by the same people who inherited the finished product/religion.
Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism. It was taken from the Jews and modified/changed to make it acceptable to the Gentiles. Much was changed and much was lost in translation. Christianity has broad appeal but very little original facts. Ask any Jew!!!
NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:24:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:23:21 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:21:54 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:18:52 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

There are threads addressing most of these. Considering the time you have been here, you haven't been paying attention.
Okay, well, would you care to address my question?

About as much as you would care to search the threads for the answers"
Then why bother posting originally?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:28:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Christianity is always the most familiar. Many atheists have been to church at least once, have lived through a western easter\christmas, and know Christians.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Jovian
Posts: 1,719
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:37:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist?

Nothing bad with the god per se, but a god to a world like this would be something to make a coup d'etat against rather than worship.

Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says?

Ehm? Do you like a god who punishes humanity by giving women painful childbirths at least 6000 years afterwards only because Adam ate an apple? (Gen 3:16) I think this should answer your question.

It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

1. Most people here are grown up in Christian countries (aren't the majority of this forum Americans?), so that religion will be the main one. The second religion to be disproved by them is often Islam, and that is probably because it's the second largest religion even in said countries where Christianity is the main. If I wer an atheist brought up in an Islamic country, then Islam would naturally be the religion I would disprove first.

2. I do not encounter any Hindu or Sikh or Australian Aboriginal mythologist or whatever trying to shove their absolute truths down my throat, hence I have never got any motivation in educating myself about those religions in order to counterargument them.
Fly
Posts: 2,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:41:33 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:24:35 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:23:21 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:21:54 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:18:52 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

There are threads addressing most of these. Considering the time you have been here, you haven't been paying attention.
Okay, well, would you care to address my question?

About as much as you would care to search the threads for the answers"
Then why bother posting originally?

Because it was an answer to your many unoriginal questions-- just not the spoon fed answer you were seeking. As a believer, you should know all too well that many answers are not quite that easy...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:47:59 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity.
Christian cruelty, intolerance and injustice demand accountability and rebuttal. Those evils are founded in unjustified authorities claimed from an unreliable, poorly authenticated set of ancient writings. So the behaviour is the material issue, but since the behaviour is justified from beliefs about the writings and the natural world, the beliefs themselves need to be addressed.

Do you not want God to exist?
I do not believe the Abrahamic god is valid, even as a conjecture, however I certainly would not want some psychopathic dictator with wondrous powers reducing humanity to mindless subservience through bribery and terror.

Is there something you have against Him?
There is no god to criticise, NLC. There are just cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish men claiming authorities they cannot justify through constantly changing fictions.

Do you dislike what the Bible says?
I neither like nor dislike the Bible, NLC. Since it's a piece of human cultural history, it's a precious set of documents. However, I abhor cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish people using it to intimidate and oppress others. So as I mentioned above, it's the behaviour that's the issue and the beliefs underpinning the behaviour, not the text.

Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism?
Hindu and Sikh cruelty, intolerance and injustice also demand accountability and rebuttal.
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 11:30:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity.

I see no point in disproving Christianity as it already fails to prove itself valid, accountable or useful.

Do you not want God to exist?

Why should I want God to exist or not exist? Either way, it does not appear reality will change one iota.

Is there something you have against Him?

Other than a lack of belief?

Do you dislike what the Bible says?

Some of it, yes. The nasty intolerant hateful bits.

It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

That's just demographics of this forum.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:13:17 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:47:59 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity.
Christian cruelty, intolerance and injustice demand accountability and rebuttal. Those evils are founded in unjustified authorities claimed from an unreliable, poorly authenticated set of ancient writings. So the behaviour is the material issue, but since the behaviour is justified from beliefs about the writings and the natural world, the beliefs themselves need to be addressed.

Good thing that is not what is being discussed, and what evils precisely in Christianity are you referring? and by precisely I don't mean what somebody else did...

And what if I told you that all human actions represent you as a human? that is the same comparison that you constantly make when you blame human actions on Christianity when the teachings themselves oppose what is being done.

If one is abiding in what Jesus taught then all the laws are fulfilled in love, that is our direct command. The rest are just opinions, teachings, understandings, perspectives and knowledge.


Do you not want God to exist?
I do not believe the Abrahamic god is valid, even as a conjecture, however I certainly would not want some psychopathic dictator with wondrous powers reducing humanity to mindless subservience through bribery and terror.

Is there something you have against Him?
There is no god to criticise, NLC. There are just cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish men claiming authorities they cannot justify through constantly changing fictions.

So then your complaints don't belong here in these forums that educate people. You need to regurgitate your nonsense to individual people and politics. What Jesus taught was spirituality, in which an atheist like yourself would be repulsed by anyway, which also is a good reason for you to buzz off because no one needs your proselytizing.


Do you dislike what the Bible says?
I neither like nor dislike the Bible, NLC. Since it's a piece of human cultural history, it's a precious set of documents. However, I abhor cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish people using it to intimidate and oppress others. So as I mentioned above, it's the behaviour that's the issue and the beliefs underpinning the behaviour, not the text.

Great, so then your complaints don't belong here in these forums that educate people about spirituality. You need to regurgitate your nonsense to individual people and politics. What Jesus taught was spirituality, in which an atheist like yourself would be repulsed by anyway, which also is a good reason for you to play elsewhere because no one needs your proselytizing.


Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism?
Hindu and Sikh cruelty, intolerance and injustice also demand accountability and rebuttal.

What Hindu and Sikh cruelty?? your complaints aren't with the teachings once again, which makes you void of any meaning in your posts. All they are is the continual misrepresentation of beliefs, of which you have no personal experience with. You just moan and groan about what other people do. Well guess what Ruv? you can exempt Christianity from the entire world and the morons will still fill the void, all except for the killers and power hungry fools will have another backbone say...atheism, Islam, anarchy, rebellion, some cult, government ect ect....

All the laws are fulfilled in love period, in which you should have no complaint, if we are not abiding in that and producing fruit we are not what Jesus represents. What Christians represent is Jesus, not what Jesus represents what "christians" do.
The same is to be said for the Hindu's and others...
Stronn
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:37:04 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

It's really quite simple. Atheists argue most often against the religious claims they encounter most often. In western civilization it's Christianity. In predominantly Muslim nations, atheists most often argue against Islam.

As far as wanting God to exist, atheists run the gamut. Some wish a God existed, but simply cannot bring themselves to believe on bad evidence. Some think it would be a terrible thing if God did exist, especially the Abrahamic God of the Bible. Some think that a God may exist, but be so completely unprovable and intangible that it makes no difference in our daily lives.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:36:36 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 12:13:17 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:47:59 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity.
Christian cruelty, intolerance and injustice demand accountability and rebuttal. Those evils are founded in unjustified authorities claimed from an unreliable, poorly authenticated set of ancient writings. So the behaviour is the material issue, but since the behaviour is justified from beliefs about the writings and the natural world, the beliefs themselves need to be addressed.
Good thing that is not what is being discussed
Actually, it's precisely what's being discussed, EV. Because God isn't just a powerful agency. Christians hold that it's a moral authority with the power to prescribe human actions, and they also hold that they (more or less) know what it's like and what it wants.

This lets Christians claim huge but unaccountable authority to order the lives of fellow citizens and even people who aren't citizens.

what evils precisely in Christianity are you referring?
Any time Christians claim the power to prescribe a law, vilify someone, imprison someone, harm someone, kill someone, educate someone young or vulnerable to fear and submission, or discriminate against someone based purely on an appeal to unaccountable, unauthenticated scriptural authority, that is an evil.

When Christians claim the theological authority to terrify adherents into paying money, donating labour, reordering their relationships, going to war, feeling lifelong shame for sexual expression, or avoiding measures that could protect them from harm, that is an evil.

Whenever a Christian institution treats its clergy and officials as so sacred, they are beyond legal or social accountability for what they say and do -- even if their advice or deeds harm another -- that is an evil.

(Of course, it's not just Christians who perpetrate these evils -- most religions do these things.)

And what if I told you that all human actions represent you as a human?
Then you've empowered me to criticise my fellow humans for representing me badly. Thank you.

Do you not want God to exist?
I do not believe the Abrahamic god is valid, even as a conjecture, however I certainly would not want some psychopathic dictator with wondrous powers reducing humanity to mindless subservience through bribery and terror.
Is there something you have against Him?
There is no god to criticise, NLC. There are just cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish men claiming authorities they cannot justify through constantly changing fictions.
So then your complaints don't belong here in these forums that educate people.
Are not religion and morality, religion and psychology, or religion and society legitimate topics in a forum called Religion?

You need to regurgitate your nonsense to individual people and politics.
Yes, that too. But the conversation also belongs here.

What Jesus taught was spirituality
You've never persuaded me that you know what you're talking about with respect to spirituality, EV. And you've been given numerous opportunities to try in this forum.

Do you dislike what the Bible says?
I neither like nor dislike the Bible, NLC. Since it's a piece of human cultural history, it's a precious set of documents. However, I abhor cruel, ignorant, conceited and selfish people using it to intimidate and oppress others. So as I mentioned above, it's the behaviour that's the issue and the beliefs underpinning the behaviour, not the text.
Great, so then your complaints don't belong here in these forums that educate people about spirituality.
Could you please show me the forum charter that says this forum's sole job is to educate people about spirituality?

Or if you can't, then is it possible that you're being narrow-minded, self-interested and belligerent?

Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism?
Hindu and Sikh cruelty, intolerance and injustice also demand accountability and rebuttal.
What Hindu and Sikh cruelty??
As some examples from HIndus, the Hindu caste system established intergenerational cruelty lasting millennia. Hindu nationalists have also been responsible for attacks on non-Hindus (for example, the Sikhs have long suffered persecution under certain Hindu rulers and governments.)

As an examples among Sikhs, during the Punjab insurgency of the 1970s and 1980s, militant Sikhs killed hundreds of Hindu citizens (which is not to critique the underlying grievance, only to point out the cruelty.) Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was also assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards in 1984, following an Indian army assault on the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

your complaints aren't with the teachings once again
My complaints are with the people who claim moral and intellectual authority from gratuitous, narrow-minded opinion, EV.

If you think that doesn't cover the religious pretty broadly, could you please point out those theistic members who claim no theological authority about the world, and claim no right to impose a theologically-framed moral order on their fellow man?

(You might find some, but I think they'll be rare, and I don't believe you're numbered among them.)
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:46:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Everyone 1 has the same god,
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 4:52:07 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 4:46:22 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Everyone 1 has the same god,

No they don't.

Some people have several Gods, some have only one. Most of the Gods teach completely opposite things and almost ALL of them say that every other God is a fraud and if you worship them, you're probably going to hell.

If everyone worshipped the same God, you'd probably all be told the same thing by God (whereas in fact most people have personal experience of their own God, which tells them things that is completely at odds with what other people experience of other Gods), and most importantly, if all Gods were the same God then there would be no need whatsoever to punish, convert, vilify, or treat people who believe in God differently just because they have a different religion; but we know that's not true.

I understand what you're coming from, though; people obviously do not believe in the same God, but you have to convince yourself that they do; because if they don't, it means people can vehemently and passionately believe in something that doesn't exist and you have no reason to believe that this doesn't apply to you also.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 5:00:09 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Having cow gods and what ever they have is more sensible . And way more believable. Then . Just pretend his there god.
The just pretend his there god comes with a book of quotes.

When I got my 1st cabbage patch kid, he come with a birth certificate. I mean that made him as good as real.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:35:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Let me correct your question. Why do Atheists want Christians to prove Christianity? You see, it's the believers making the claims for which there is no factual support. We don't have to disprove something that has never been factually demonstrated but we do have to interact on a daily basis with people who want us to believe as they do and give their beliefs a special level of respect not accorded to others. Anyone who wants that kind of deference will have to rise to a high level of evidence to convince me, at least, that what they believe is actually true, not just the pronouncements of people in power who want to remain in power. Hope that clears it up for you.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:39:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.

Denigrating christians and christianity seems an odd task for the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 2:53:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 2:39:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.

Denigrating christians and christianity seems an odd task for the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO

That should be left to Ramshutu to defend his myopic observation. You have very little to contribute to any discussion. Belonging to a low caste untouchable group has left deep scars of inferiority in you. Discussing your problems publicly might be marginally beneficial. Getting professional help is highly recommended.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:09:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 2:53:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:39:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.

Denigrating christians and christianity seems an odd task for the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO

That should be left to Ramshutu to defend his myopic observation. You have very little to contribute to any discussion. Belonging to a low caste untouchable group has left deep scars of inferiority in you. Discussing your problems publicly might be marginally beneficial. Getting professional help is highly recommended.

So leave it to him then, and stop denigrating the religions you have self proclaimed yourself the champion of.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:28:08 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 3:09:30 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:53:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:39:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.

Denigrating christians and christianity seems an odd task for the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO

That should be left to Ramshutu to defend his myopic observation. You have very little to contribute to any discussion. Belonging to a low caste untouchable group has left deep scars of inferiority in you. Discussing your problems publicly might be marginally beneficial. Getting professional help is highly recommended.

So leave it to him then, and stop denigrating the religions you have self proclaimed yourself the champion of.

I am the one who challenged the varsity of his observation. You on the other hand keep trying to derail every thread with your unsolicited opinions. Get a life, take a bath.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:29:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 3:28:08 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 3:09:30 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:53:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:39:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:23:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 2:09:15 PM, desmac wrote:
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.

Is that a "dumb observation"? Not really; it's why I primarily talk about Christian religion more than others. It's pretty much why everyone else here talks primarily about Christian religions.

It's why Indian Atheists talk primarily Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism, It's why Turkish Atheists talk primarily about Islam; and why Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh, and Atheists in other Islamic countries are persecuted; because they talk primarily about the religion that is all around them and end up getting accused of blasphemy.

Again you are wrong to believe familiarity of a religion diminishes interest in that religion. There is no movement in India or other places to remove any of the known and established religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism etc. Etc.) . But that is not the case with Christianity....the more one learns of Christianity and its followers the more one grows critical of the two because the two do not hold up well to scrutiny unlike other religions.

This should really be a non-issue; it's blindingly obvious that this is the reason.

Interesting comments from the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO.

Why would you be surprised at my ability to do good? I am after all the most spiritual member on DDO.

Denigrating christians and christianity seems an odd task for the self proclaimed christian champion of DDO

That should be left to Ramshutu to defend his myopic observation. You have very little to contribute to any discussion. Belonging to a low caste untouchable group has left deep scars of inferiority in you. Discussing your problems publicly might be marginally beneficial. Getting professional help is highly recommended.

So leave it to him then, and stop denigrating the religions you have self proclaimed yourself the champion of.

I am the one who challenged the varsity of his observation. You on the other hand keep trying to derail every thread with your unsolicited opinions. Get a life, take a bath.

So why do you keep denigrating the religions you have proclaimed yourself the champion of?
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 3:35:51 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/11/2016 1:27:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/11/2016 4:34:27 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:54:58 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:48:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 3/10/2016 10:14:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Like the title says, why do so many atheists want to disprove Christianity. Do you not want God to exist? Is there something you have against Him? Do you dislike what the Bible says? It just doesn't make any sense . . . Why not try to disprove Hinduism or Sikhism? Why is it always Christianity?

Primarily it's down to western cultural and religious bias; Atheists here are more exposed to Christianity and so therefore know more about it. Moreover, here, the majority of posters are Christian too; meaning it makes more sense to address that particular target audience. I think, however, it's pretty fair to say that Christianity isn't singled out as invalid insofar as it's not the case that they think Christianity is wrong, and the others maybe okay; all are wrong.

You see, when you actually think about it, it does actually make sense.

What a dumb observation. How is it that in Muslim countries where everyone is exposed to Islam and know more about Islam only infidels are targeted?

It took me a few times of reading that sentence to work out whether you were serious, or whether you actually think that's any sort of intelligent response. FYI: it's not.

Let me spell it out.

Anyone can "target" anyone they like, in whatever what they like, without having any exposure, knowledge or understanding of those people. People have been doing it throughout history on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Unfortunately, despite what you may want to believe, engaging in discussion on the subject of religion, and attempting to show that a belief is wrong through thoughtful debate and substantive arguments; whether you agree with it or not, is not the same as "targeting", and requires a good deal more exposure to, knowledge of, and understanding of the things you are talking about.

So, this means that those in the west who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to christian religion, and are surrounded primarily by Christians; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Christian God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.


Read your senseless observation when explored further.

So, this means that those in muslin countries who are arguing against religion typically have far more exposure to the Islamic religion, and are surrounded primarily by Muslims; so it's pretty much a no-brainer that if they're going to talk primarily about the Allah their God, why he's absurd and if they're going to try and come up with arguments against peoples religion, it's pretty obvious that's the one they're going to pick.

We don't see that happening in Muslim countries. The infidels remain infidels. Because unlike Christianity, Islam survives scrutiny and is more believable.


Its not Islam that survives scrutiny; its the scrutinizer that might not survive the scrutiny in many Muslim countries.

People not saying anything because their heads may be chopped off at worst or shunned by their family as an apostate at best is not the same as saying it survives scrutiny.