Jump to topic:

Homosexuality & Religion.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 6:13:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
"I think that the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, but the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealously is a sin, and hate is a sin, evil thoughts are a sin, and so I don't think that homosexuality should be chosen as the overwhelming sin that we are doing today." Billy Graham

It's been proven that being Gay is not a choice, yet you are born that way. Call it a mental-illness, or whatever you wish, but a person was born Gay, just like a child is born autistic. My question is, why do Christians focus so much on Gay marriage? Yes, the Bible condemns it, but God has made them Gay. Why don't Christians focus on abolishing Abortion, or Prostitution instead?

"A 62-year-old man said: "My religious background taught me that this was something that was taboo and not accepted." A 32-year-old woman described her reasons for why homosexuality should be discouraged this way: "It clearly states in the Bible that it goes against God"s teachings." (http://www.people-press.org...)

Though this may be true, the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealously is a sin, and hate is a sin, evil thoughts are a sin. The fact of the matter is, nobody is perfect, so why do Christians hate on Gay people so much. God claims to love all of his children, shouldn't you too?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 7:03:09 PM
At 3/11/2016 6:13:17 PM, Rosalie wrote:

It's been proven that being Gay is not a choice, yet you are born that way. Call it a mental-illness, or whatever you wish, but a person was born Gay, just like a child is born autistic.

Yep. I 100% agree with that.

My question is, why do Christians focus so much on Gay marriage?

Because it's the easiest one to stop at the moment. Though soon society will probably push us back to having to say that paedophilia is bad first.

Yes, the Bible condemns it, but God has made them Gay. Why don't Christians focus on abolishing Abortion, or Prostitution instead?

Because Gay marriage was the last one to change, making it the easiest one to change.

"A 62-year-old man said: "My religious background taught me that this was something that was taboo and not accepted." A 32-year-old woman described her reasons for why homosexuality should be discouraged this way: "It clearly states in the Bible that it goes against God"s teachings." (http://www.people-press.org...)

Though this may be true, the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealously is a sin, and hate is a sin, evil thoughts are a sin.

The sexual sins are possibly the most dangerous though:

"24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator"who is forever praised. Amen."

The fact of the matter is, nobody is perfect, so why do Christians hate on Gay people so much.

We shouldn't.

God claims to love all of his children, shouldn't you too?

Yes.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 7:33:00 PM
Why do Christians hate on Gay people so much.
Christians will all tell you they don't hate gay people. Instead, they do what they've done to all the other people they don't like but nevertheless don't hate: patronise them, vilify them, marginalise and shame them, oppress and seek to control them.

Christians say they don't hate gay people, so perhaps that's what Christian love looks like without Christian respect.

And can you have justice without respect?
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 8:58:54 PM
"I think that the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, but the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealously is a sin, and hate is a sin, evil thoughts are a sin, and so I don't think that homosexuality should be chosen as the overwhelming sin that we are doing today." Billy Graham

It's been proven that being Gay is not a choice, yet you are born that way. Call it a mental-illness, or whatever you wish, but a person was born Gay, just like a child is born autistic. My question is, why do Christians focus so much on Gay marriage? Yes, the Bible condemns it, but God has made them Gay. Why don't Christians focus on abolishing Abortion, or Prostitution instead?

Though this may be true, the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealously is a sin, and hate is a sin, evil thoughts are a sin. The fact of the matter is, nobody is perfect, so why do Christians hate on Gay people so much. God claims to love all of his children, shouldn't you too?

But do you think a person can be Christian while still being a practicing homosexual?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 8:59:45 PM
At 3/11/2016 8:58:54 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

But do you think a person can be Christian while still being a practicing homosexual?

Sure, why not?

Can a prideful, arrogant man still be a Christian, though he's living in sin?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:25:39 PM
At 3/11/2016 8:59:45 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Sure, why not?

I completely agree. Don't we all sin? And doesn't the Bible say "whosoever believes in Him has everlasting life". And doesn't it say " Judge not, lest ye be judged."?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:33:08 PM
At 3/11/2016 9:25:39 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Sure, why not?

I completely agree. Don't we all sin? And doesn't the Bible say "whosoever believes in Him has everlasting life". And doesn't it say " Judge not, lest ye be judged."?

Exactly.

It's just sad that Christians seem to think they're the perfect ones, yet they live in sin everyday. But they go out, and attack gay people.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:54:56 PM

I have nothing against homosexuals. Wanna head to the mall later?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:09:19 PM
At 3/11/2016 9:54:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I have nothing against homosexuals. Wanna head to the mall later?

Sure, why not.

Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 10:58:44 PM

It has not been proven that people are born gay (or that a gay gene exists). So I really do not understand why anyone would claim that. That said, even if the gene were to exist, it would not excuse the behavior of the person. For example, someone might be born with a gene that causes theme to be overweight. But that is not an excuse for the person to not try and stay healthy.

On another note, Christians are called to hate sin. Homosexuality is a big sin and Christians must not condone it in anyway. The fact that we all sin does not allow people to do whatever they want.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:08:24 PM

ME: Notice the quote "I think the Bible teaches..." This from a man that made millions from being a "Christian evangelist". One would think he would know if the Bible speaks out against homosexuality, and it does, it says "A man that lies with another man is a despicable thing." There are several scriptures that condemn homosexuality.

ME: It seems to be the 'flavor of the Month' to "come out" these days, and the homosexuals flaunt their sex preferences, so the people react. that is simple.

ME: It is not proven, and to say it is indicates that there is a genetic reason. Does a homosexual person believe they are that way because of their parents? To say that God has made them 'gay' is like saying God made the child autistic, that is not the case as it is Satan that makes these problems for mankind. Is it God that makes stillborn babies, or badly deformed babies? What sort of Loving god do you know?

Me: Christendom is in such bad shape that it will accept anything, thrust upon it, to try to fill the pews and keep the money flowing. With the amount of pagan rituals inculcated into the Christendom's teaching there is little room for the Truth.

ME: No one is perfect, but we have the opportunity to learn and reduce out problems, or sins, by being an honest Christian and finding God's truth.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:44:27 PM

That surprises me that Billy Graham said that, but he is in line with the Bible in doing so.

I can't speak for Christians, I can only offer my opinion based upon observation. With that in mind, I think homosexuality and abortion are such popular issues because they are seen as symptoms of a sick society, especially since these issues are so closely related to the family. The family is very important to most Christians because God told Adam and Eve to fill and subdue the earth. And although this command wasn't stipulated to the Christian they often don't see that. Unfortunately this has also caused them to take an unscriptural position towards birth control.

The first example wasn't a good reason, but the second one was. God created the sexual union in a specific way and finds any variation of it to be an abomination. Imagine if you had invented a product that was misused in a disgusting sexual manner you didn't approve of.

Of course, but, the old saying love the person hate the sin is based upon scripture. At one point all of the people of Israel stood and heard the law of Moses, which included homosexuality as a sin punishable by death. Had I been there and was a homosexual, I would have had the choice of remaining and accepting this or leaving to one of the nearby nations to live freely as a homosexual.

The Law of Moses was discontinued upon the arrival of the Messiah, so homosexuality was no longer punishable by death, but it wasn't accepted by the Christian congregation, so again, a homosexual had, and continues to have the choice of remaining and not engaging in homosexual activity, or leaving the congregation and practicing freely.

As a homosexual myself, I have chosen the later. I no longer practice homosexuality.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 1:55:49 AM
At 3/11/2016 11:44:27 PM, DavidHenson wrote:

That surprises me that Billy Graham said that, but he is in line with the Bible in doing so.

I can't speak for Christians, I can only offer my opinion based upon observation. With that in mind, I think homosexuality and abortion are such popular issues because they are seen as symptoms of a sick society, especially since these issues are so closely related to the family. The family is very important to most Christians because God told Adam and Eve to fill and subdue the earth. And although this command wasn't stipulated to the Christian they often don't see that. Unfortunately this has also caused them to take an unscriptural position towards birth control.

Actually David, it is theologies such as Christianity that teach people to hate other people, referring to them as the "symptoms of a sick society", when in fact it is that theology that is the cause of a sick society, as it distorts people minds to magical thinking and irrational behavior.

The first example wasn't a good reason, but the second one was. God created the sexual union in a specific way and finds any variation of it to be an abomination. Imagine if you had invented a product that was misused in a disgusting sexual manner you didn't approve of.

So what? Once you sell a product, why would care what it was used for? Are you now going to tell people how to use the products they buy because you don't approve? Are there any other ways you would like to control people?

Again, this is what that theology causes people to do.

Of course, but, the old saying love the person hate the sin is based upon scripture. At one point all of the people of Israel stood and heard the law of Moses, which included homosexuality as a sin punishable by death. Had I been there and was a homosexual, I would have had the choice of remaining and accepting this or leaving to one of the nearby nations to live freely as a homosexual.

The Law of Moses was discontinued upon the arrival of the Messiah, so homosexuality was no longer punishable by death, but it wasn't accepted by the Christian congregation, so again, a homosexual had, and continues to have the choice of remaining and not engaging in homosexual activity, or leaving the congregation and practicing freely.

As a homosexual myself, I have chosen the later. I no longer practice homosexuality.

So, you sold out. Caved in to magical thinking, myth and superstition. So sorry to hear that.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:28:18 AM

Rosalie, actually "Christians" don't focus on gay people that is a generalization that does not include all of us, when people use the term "Christian" they include everyone in the same camp. The problem with doing that in today's world is that it seemingly covers a vast array of different kinds of people, and for that reason alone it is important to distinguish what types of "christians" you are addressing because I assure you that myself, my family and 90% of the Christians I've ever known or been involved with don't focus on such non sense. The main divide I'm seeing in the scheme of things is that a lot of folks want to preserve something they feel appropriate and the only way really to find a common ground here is through understanding perspectives/perceptions. Obviously Atheists and such don't believe a God exists so they do not see the value in creation and union between man and women like others may, they don't believe in a higher purpose so to them it is irrelevant.

Having said that, I do not focus on such nonsense and I never have, the only involvement I ever have had in the gay agenda is helping people with understanding Christianity and what it means.
In my personal life I have no enemies, gay or not, religious or not none of that matters to me because I do not have to compromise anything by loving and sharing with anyone, it's not my business to step beyond that. Homosexuals know exactly where the Bible stands concerning relations between same genders for the most part but what I have found is that they too are interested in spiritual things/discussions and I enjoy contemplating it with them without compromising anything at all by just loving them. The reason we do that is because we all need a starting point and grace, we all fell short of being "righteous" and were extended mercy in our weak state.

You can go on the internet and pull any story out of the wood works, on all types, religions, non religions and just about any genre of people you can think of and you can find the dirt. Well that's fine and dandy but it creates huge misrepresentations, how we clear those misrepresentations up is by observing the source, and to observe the source we have to go back to the Gospel and see who qualifies as a "christian".

I'm telling you that the majority of all this "hating" is mainly isolated stories across the globe on the news and internet, I have never, and I mean never hated on a Homosexual and I have known very few next to none believers at all who have ever done such things. These are the things that are highlighted on the news and web and especially within politics and in secular systems but has little relevance in the real day to day world.
Don't get me wrong, I've admitted the discrimination is there but please understand there are many of simple, honest spiritual Christians roaming this earth and don't forget that. Just go back to the Gospels and epistles and realize it is the example and epitome of what is attainable, many people will not attain it. Because of the nature of spirituality you will always see the good and bad, the pure with the unpure while we are on this earth.

So you should keep in mind and remember this world is full of people at all different levels of spirituality, some cultivated strongly while others at a different pace and still while others have not even begun despite their religious upbringing it is just a label, a religious label that means nothing so the integrity in being a vessel full of light is not priority and becomes compromised as well as the witness.

Here is clear instructions in Galatians 5 alone for us to abide in...

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

So basically if we are doing our part which is to walk in Spirit, we should not be fulfilling the flesh by hating, killing ect ect... because our temple should be full of the light of God and have no room for the other, or at least the goal is to have more of the one and the least as possible of the other lol O.o
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:45:59 AM

I don't see how it has been proven people are born gay.

In a christian world view this world is a fallen world and the God of this world is Satan. even if people were born gay doesn't mean God made them that way or intend them to be so. unless you think God also makes babies born with limbs missing.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 3:45:37 AM
At 3/12/2016 1:55:49 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Actually David, it is theologies such as Christianity that teach people to hate other people, referring to them as the "symptoms of a sick society", when in fact it is that theology that is the cause of a sick society, as it distorts people minds to magical thinking and irrational behavior.

I wonder then, how come it is that the atheists, screaming angrily for the rights of homosexuals, are always much more condemning of my lifestyle choice than are the Christians. As much as I don't like the religious, and especially Christians, they are far more sympathetic.

So what? Once you sell a product, why would care what it was used for? Are you now going to tell people how to use the products they buy because you don't approve? Are there any other ways you would like to control people?

So far reaching is that atheist need. It always reminds me of animal rights fanatics destroying a fur coat company and remaining unapologetic when they are told the fur company made artificial furs, no animal furs. Overly emotional dangerous idiots are not exclusive to religion.

Again, this is what that theology causes people to do.

What about money? Love? Patriotism? People are idiots.

So, you sold out. Caved in to magical thinking, myth and superstition. So sorry to hear that.

Yeah, I should be made to return to the gay bars, the road side rest areas, with the diseases running rampant. Of course, most of those guys were married.

You ever been f#cked in the @ss?
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 5:50:34 AM
At 3/12/2016 2:45:59 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I don't see how it has been proven people are born gay.
You prove it because you didn't choose to be str8.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 6:00:27 AM

Surely you can just choose to be heterosexual now? What's the problem?
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 6:32:00 AM
At 3/12/2016 6:00:27 AM, bulproof wrote:

ME: He can, or did you mean he can, when I read it I though that you said 'You can't'.

What stops a homo male from having a normal life with a wife and kids. I would suggest that there are many who are married but are also homo males, or even homo women and they are that way because they chose to be...You seem a little disappointed, Bullo, are you telling us you are "Coming out"..Woo! Woo!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:03:10 AM
At 3/12/2016 6:32:00 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

ME: He can, or did you mean he can, when I read it I though that you said 'You can't'.

What stops a homo male from having a normal life with a wife and kids. I would suggest that there are many who are married but are also homo males, or even homo women and they are that way because they chose to be...You seem a little disappointed, Bullo, are you telling us you are "Coming out"..Woo! Woo!

Stick to topics you possess knowledge of and we won't hear from you. Your ignorance is painful.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:12:47 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:03:10 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/12/2016 6:32:00 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

Stick to topics you possess knowledge of and we won't hear from you. Your ignorance is painful.

And that's exactly why I didn't respond to him, Lol...

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:26:59 AM
I think they focus on marriage so much, because it threatens the gender roles of their own marriages. Maybe they fear women will marry women to raise children, in the future, whether they are actually gay or not, and just have men occasionally for sex.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:28:15 AM

I could chosen to live a heterosexual lifestyle, but I don't think that would have made me happy.
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:30:45 AM
At 3/11/2016 9:25:39 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Sure, why not?

Nope, If a practising homosexual became a Christian, they would be sorry for their homosexual acts, and try not to do any more.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:31:31 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:28:15 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

I could chosen to live a heterosexual lifestyle, but I don't think that would have made me happy.
You don't see "lifestyle" anywhere in what I wrote, do you"
I asked why you can't just choose to be heterosexual?
ie choose to be romantically and physically attracted to the opposite gender?
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:33:33 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:31:31 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well, I believe that it's a learned behavior, but I don't know. I had assumed your response was sarcastic.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:36:53 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:33:33 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/12/2016 7:31:31 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well, I believe that it's a learned behavior, but I don't know. I had assumed your response was sarcastic.
I've asked you twice now, where do you see sarcasm. What I see is fear of facing the truth. You didn't choose to be gay and you can't choose to be str8.
Face your fear and be honest with yourself.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 7:46:30 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:36:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
I've asked you twice now, where do you see sarcasm. What I see is fear of facing the truth. You didn't choose to be gay and you can't choose to be str8.

I don't have a problem with facing my fear or being honest with myself. And you are correct. I didn't choose to be gay and can't choose to be straight. I don't have a problem with that, do you? That is pretty much a given, isn't it? Pretty obvious?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 8:20:16 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:46:30 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

I don't have a problem with facing my fear or being honest with myself. And you are correct. I didn't choose to be gay and can't choose to be straight. I don't have a problem with that, do you? That is pretty much a given, isn't it? Pretty obvious?

So you didn't choose to be gay but you think it's an unwanted learned behaviour?, Unwanted in the sense that you didn't choose it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 9:26:55 AM
At 3/12/2016 7:46:30 AM, DavidHenson wrote:

Not according to just about every believer on this forum and the wider world.
Personally I have no problem with gay people and believe they have exactly the same rights as str8's. Love is what life is about not an abomination.