Jump to topic:

Should all children be raised in an atheist e

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:05:10 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Environment? Should parents keep their religious beleifs to themselves? And leave religious desicions to be made as adults, when a person is able to study the religions and make their own informed decisions on the matter?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 2:50:26 AM
At 3/12/2016 2:05:10 AM, janesix wrote:
Environment? Should parents keep their religious beleifs to themselves? And leave religious desicions to be made as adults, when a person is able to study the religions and make their own informed decisions on the matter?

If adults studied and made informed decisions maybe.

This would just result in more atheist.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 4:24:43 AM

Children should have access to all sides of every story. They will learn science and anti religion in school. They will learn creation and religion at home/church/not at all depending on their parents. I teach my children the bible and creation as the other side of the story. I do not however tell them that this is the facts that they must believe. That isn't my job.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 4:41:46 AM

The main problem isn't belief per se it's indoctrination.

Once a childs mind has being poised with everyone who doesn't believe as us is just being evil and satan, oh and if you stop believing your going to burn in hell for ever...........
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 5:51:39 AM

Children shouldn't be indoctrinated with belief or lack of belief. I think it is more important to teach them how to evaluate claims and allow them to come to their own conclusions rather than teaching them exactly what to believe. Obviously, I am not a believer, but my three sons currently have varying degrees of belief diminishing with age/maturity. This in spite of it being encouraged by grandparents, peer pressure, etc., and not discouraged by me.

I'll let you know the outcome in 10 years or so. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 8:53:08 AM
Religion has nothing to do with what you believe or what your parents think. The numbers show. if you are born here you are this religion if you are born there you are that religion. If your lucky you might get 2 to choose from. If they are deaf and blind , they might have a slight chance of making a unbiased decision. But I don't wish Christianity on any middle eastern kid. So religion is all crap , and people of any and every religion are to blame. I suggest you all pull ya heads in , this ain't no cattle train. Snap the F out of it and grow the F up. Wankers . It's like when the doctor pulls you from the womb he turns to the mother and say. Congratulations you have a baby girl and she's a catholic. Idiots.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 12:22:19 PM
At 3/12/2016 2:50:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

If adults studied and made informed decisions maybe.

This would just result in more atheist.

So?
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 12:27:03 PM

Religion needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. It is, quite literally, the utter, adulterated sh*t stain of humanity. It's is the drug that blocks all logic, and replaces it with a pseudo-knowledge that poisoning everything that gets anywhere near it.

So yes, I would definitely want this. I would also like it if logic and reasoning was a mandatory subject to be taught in school alongside maths and English. I swear, logic and the understanding of fallacious reasoning had helped me more in the the last 5 years than Pythagoras's theorem has helped me in 20.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 5:06:19 PM

When I was a child, I was terrified I would burn in hell for sinning. I was also told I would never get a chance to grow up and have children because society would get so evil that Christians would be raptured. Instilling those beliefs in children is terrible.