Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A crazy myth from the bible

Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Of all the crazy things written in Christian scripture this Is probably the most absurd. God ordering A 137 year old man to offer his 37 year old son to God in a pagan style sacrifice, only for God to let him off and sacrifice a sheep instead.

The Bible claims that God commanded Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, as a test of his faith, Genesis 22:1-18:

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his a ss, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the as s; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

There are many flaws with this story.

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.
Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.
Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 10:12:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

Then in this absurd pagan event who is at fault?

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

In my opinion the chance it actually happened is less than the chances of me winning the euromillions lottery 50 weeks in a row.

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why does that make it necessary?

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

Because we live in a natural imperfect world not created by a god.

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

True.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

True.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

So you acknowledge Christians who claim this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion are idiots?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 10:19:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 10:12:11 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
God is never at fault
Then in this absurd pagan event who is at fault?

I don't see who is the victim in this story...

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

In my opinion the chance it actually happened is less than the chances of me winning the euromillions lottery 50 weeks in a row.

must be your lucky year...

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.
Why does that make it necessary?

Why was it necessary for you to ask that question?

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
Why is there suffering in the world?
Because we live in a natural imperfect world not created by a god.

I was more thinking of the "To point people to God" answer.

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

True.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

True.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

So you acknowledge Christians who claim this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion are idiots?

Nope. I have underlined the part of it that makes them idiots.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 10:31:13 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 10:25:07 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Metaphor
Metaphorically speaking

Bovine
Bovine muscle

Can you explain your use of the word "metaphor" as opposed to just using it on its own randomly?
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 10:47:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 10:31:13 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 10:25:07 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Metaphor
Metaphorically speaking

Bovine
Bovine muscle

Can you explain your use of the word "metaphor" as opposed to just using it on its own randomly?

I was just reminding you of the " special " word you guys use . Just in case you forgot.
You know the good old , well thats a metaphor , for silly bum bum head, wich means the color4 circular square. You know .
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 10:48:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 10:19:57 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 10:12:11 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
God is never at fault
Then in this absurd pagan event who is at fault?

I don't see who is the victim in this story...

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

In my opinion the chance it actually happened is less than the chances of me winning the euromillions lottery 50 weeks in a row.

must be your lucky year...

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.
Why does that make it necessary?

Why was it necessary for you to ask that question?

Because I don't see why a god needs to carry out a pagan style sacrificial ritual. How is it connected to Jesus?

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
Why is there suffering in the world?
Because we live in a natural imperfect world not created by a god.

I was more thinking of the "To point people to God" answer.

That's illogical reasoning. Suffering clearly suggests a natural world free from divine intervention. A perfect suffering free world would imply intelligent design was responsible.

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

True.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

True.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

So you acknowledge Christians who claim this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion are idiots?

Nope. I have underlined the part of it that makes them idiots.

So are you claiming that they are wrong to deny the story is morbid and is a discredit to Christianity?

I doubt that's what you are trying to imply but that's my interpretation. You seem to be calling Christians idiots for denying this story discredits their religion.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 11:22:09 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Kinda off topic, but related and relevant, hope you don't mind my long post.

If we re-read Genesis 1 and 2 - we can see that the personality of the original Creator God differs considerably with the personality of The LORD God who begins his manipulation of God's Creation in Genesis Chapter 2. My synopsis is that God rested on the 7th "DAY" and while he rested the LORD god re-created portions of the earth, and manipulated mankind that he was the only God.

The story of creation in Genesis 1 differs too significantly from what you refer to as the topical evidence that begins in Chapter 2. Chapter 2 even goes a so far as giving him the title of LORD in Genesis 2:4, but in Genesis 1 he was simply referred to as - God.

God's instructions to mankind in Genesis 1 varies significantly, from the LORD's dealings with man in Chapter2.

Genesis 1:28-29 (capitalization - my emphasis)
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be FRUITFUL and MULTIPLY, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you EVERY herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and EVERY TREE, in the which is the FRUIT OF A TREE YIELDING SEED; to you it shall be for meat.

You can see that I capitalized EVERY TREE - and it's because these were God's instructions to humans, during the sixth day in which they were created. (day meaning as span of time, for there were not actual days until the earth revolved around the sun, so to speculate that a day means a literal day, is to speculate that the earth and sun were always here, and the story of creation is to explain the order)

There is a conclusion to day 6 which was that God saw that it was VERY GOOD.

Genesis 2:1-3 GOD RESTED
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Ok, so I'm going to interject my personal interpretation at this point. I believe that while God was resting, the LORD God manipulated God's creation, and created Humans in the Garden of Eden. I don't think that the LORD God meant that there were no people on the earth, (no man to till the earth) I think he meant that no humans could be manipulated into taming the plants that they freely ate from.

Genesis 2:4

4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

I think the LORD god - took credit for what God had done, while God was resting. The LORD god's personality seems contrary to the personality of the Original Creator God.

I stumped Priests in Catholic School when I asked these kinds of questions in 4th grade and they dreaded calling on me - lol.

Also, in Genesis 1
26 And God said, Let us make man in OUR image, after OUR LIKENESS: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created manKIND in his own image, in the image of God created he him; MALE AND FEMALE created he them.

The use of the word Our, suggests that there is more than one creative being during the time of God's creation.

Then the LORD God - began to manipulate humans, by respecting sacrifice.
2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Lord god basically caused Cain to sin and commit murder, since Lord gods supposed original reason he (in my opinion) added to God's Creation, was for a man to till the ground.

This was the beginning of God requiring sacrifice, and he messed with Abraham's mind when he wanted to see if Abe loved his son more than him.

Ok - fast forward to Christ. - here we see glimpses of the God - that HE represents - the original Creator, in my opinion. His life on earth represents the 8th "day" in my opinion and the jealous LORD still fights to mis-interpret his teaching. We could be in the 8th "day" still, or maybe about to enter the 9th when the truth will be revealed and judgement will take place. Not judgement based on religion, but judgement based on how well each of us followed the golden rule.
I'm just a believer in the Spirit - who thinks that scripture has meaning other than what is taught in organized religion, and I'm often accused of blasphemy.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 11:29:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Of all the crazy things written in Christian scripture this Is probably the most absurd. God ordering A 137 year old man to offer his 37 year old son to God in a pagan style sacrifice, only for God to let him off and sacrifice a sheep instead.

The Bible claims that God commanded Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, as a test of his faith, Genesis 22:1-18:

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his a ss, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the as s; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

There are many flaws with this story.

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.
Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.
Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

Imagine your neighbor telling you that he was going to take his son to a nearby field, kill him and burn his body as a human sacrifice to god because god told him to.

According to Christian's logic, this man is a godly man and should be applauded OR they would say that somehow this is completely different than the story of Abraham.

It is disturbing that there are so many Christians that think Abraham should be applauded for this.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 11:32:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:


Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

So, in other words, there is evil in this world that causes suffering and god is part of that evil.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 11:40:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 11:29:58 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Of all the crazy things written in Christian scripture this Is probably the most absurd. God ordering A 137 year old man to offer his 37 year old son to God in a pagan style sacrifice, only for God to let him off and sacrifice a sheep instead.

The Bible claims that God commanded Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, as a test of his faith, Genesis 22:1-18:

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his a ss, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the as s; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

There are many flaws with this story.

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.
Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.
Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

Imagine your neighbor telling you that he was going to take his son to a nearby field, kill him and burn his body as a human sacrifice to god because god told him to.

According to Christian's logic, this man is a godly man and should be applauded OR they would say that somehow this is completely different than the story of Abraham.

It is disturbing that there are so many Christians that think Abraham should be applauded for this.

Exactly its a stupid myth that makes Abraham and God look like evil deranged murderers. How anyone gives such a story credibility genuinely amazes me.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2016 11:50:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 11:40:37 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 11:29:58 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Of all the crazy things written in Christian scripture this Is probably the most absurd. God ordering A 137 year old man to offer his 37 year old son to God in a pagan style sacrifice, only for God to let him off and sacrifice a sheep instead.

The Bible claims that God commanded Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, as a test of his faith, Genesis 22:1-18:

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his a ss, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the as s; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

There are many flaws with this story.

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.
If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?
Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?
This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.
Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.
Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

Imagine your neighbor telling you that he was going to take his son to a nearby field, kill him and burn his body as a human sacrifice to god because god told him to.

According to Christian's logic, this man is a godly man and should be applauded OR they would say that somehow this is completely different than the story of Abraham.

It is disturbing that there are so many Christians that think Abraham should be applauded for this.

Exactly its a stupid myth that makes Abraham and God look like evil deranged murderers. How anyone gives such a story credibility genuinely amazes me.
The Abraham story cannot be definitively related to any specific time, and scholars are generally agreed that, whatever the origins may be, the so-called 'patriarchal/ancestral period', along with the exodus and the period of the judges, is a literary construct.[3] Some scholars, for example, argue that it was composed in the early Persian period (late 6th century BCE) as a result of tensions between Jewish landowners who had stayed in Judah during the Babylonian captivity and traced their right to the land through their "father Abraham", and the returning exiles who based their counter-claim on Moses and the Exodus tradition.[4] https://en.wikipedia.org...
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 12:49:48 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 11:22:09 PM, Emmarie wrote:
Kinda off topic, but related and relevant, hope you don't mind my long post.

If we re-read Genesis 1 and 2 - we can see that the personality of the original Creator God differs considerably with the personality of The LORD God who begins his manipulation of God's Creation in Genesis Chapter 2. My synopsis is that God rested on the 7th "DAY" and while he rested the LORD god re-created portions of the earth, and manipulated mankind that he was the only God.

You are suggesting God had a dual personality. Assuming He did. After God woke up He would have just as easily reversed the changes His other half made.

The story of creation in Genesis 1 differs too significantly from what you refer to as the topical evidence that begins in Chapter 2. Chapter 2 even goes a so far as giving him the title of LORD in Genesis 2:4, but in Genesis 1 he was simply referred to as - God.

Honey and bitch are both affectionate terms. So why complain?

God's instructions to mankind in Genesis 1 varies significantly, from the LORD's dealings with man in Chapter2.

Genesis 1:28-29 (capitalization - my emphasis)
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be FRUITFUL and MULTIPLY, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you EVERY herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and EVERY TREE, in the which is the FRUIT OF A TREE YIELDING SEED; to you it shall be for meat.

You can see that I capitalized EVERY TREE - and it's because these were God's instructions to humans, during the sixth day in which they were created. (day meaning as span of time, for there were not actual days until the earth revolved around the sun, so to speculate that a day means a literal day, is to speculate that the earth and sun were always here, and the story of creation is to explain the order)

There is a conclusion to day 6 which was that God saw that it was VERY GOOD.

Genesis 2:1-3 GOD RESTED
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Ok, so I'm going to interject my personal interpretation at this point. I believe that while God was resting, the LORD God manipulated God's creation, and created Humans in the Garden of Eden. I don't think that the LORD God meant that there were no people on the earth, (no man to till the earth) I think he meant that no humans could be manipulated into taming the plants that they freely ate from.

But has not that been proven true. Man is the master of the earth domain. Master over plants, fish, birds and all creatures.

Genesis 2:4

4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

I think the LORD god - took credit for what God had done, while God was resting. The LORD god's personality seems contrary to the personality of the Original Creator God.

Even if they split the credit between the two personalities. They still add up to one at the end.

I stumped Priests in Catholic School when I asked these kinds of questions in 4th grade and they dreaded calling on me - lol.

You would still stump them today if they met you with your 4th grade level questions.

Also, in Genesis 1
26 And God said, Let us make man in OUR image, after OUR LIKENESS: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created manKIND in his own image, in the image of God created he him; MALE AND FEMALE created he them.

The use of the word Our, suggests that there is more than one creative being during the time of God's creation.

Actually God was with His angels when He created man. The image/appearance He used were His own and that of the Angels.

Then the LORD God - began to manipulate humans, by respecting sacrifice.
2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.

4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Lord god basically caused Cain to sin and commit murder, since Lord gods supposed original reason he (in my opinion) added to God's Creation, was for a man to till the ground.

This was the beginning of God requiring sacrifice, and he messed with Abraham's mind when he wanted to see if Abe loved his son more than him.

There were some glitches. Nothing a God couldn't fix.

Ok - fast forward to Christ. - here we see glimpses of the God - that HE represents - the original Creator, in my opinion. His life on earth represents the 8th "day" in my opinion and the jealous LORD still fights to mis-interpret his teaching. We could be in the 8th "day" still, or maybe about to enter the 9th when the truth will be revealed and judgement will take place. Not judgement based on religion, but judgement based on how well each of us followed the golden rule.
I'm just a believer in the Spirit - who thinks that scripture has meaning other than what is taught in organized religion, and I'm often accused of blasphemy.
You are a blasphemous uninspired interpreter of scriptures. But if you cannot accept true Christian beliefs and it is very unlikely atheist will accept your warped fantasies. What purpose do you serve here?
DavidHenson
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 1:12:32 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

It wasn't a prank, it was a test to see if the nation of Israel, which Jehovah was soon to establish to produce Laws, to make the people aware of their sins as well as a Messiah to remove those sins, was worthy of the people who were about to produce said nation.

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It wasn't false.

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

He didn't.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

The boy, like the Son of God, were willing participants.

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

Are you sure about that? They dream of being soldiers possible sacrificing themselves for dirt and that honor frightened them? Perhaps if it were explained to them, if they were educated properly they wouldn't have thought that since it was obviously unnecessary by the point they came along and it had already been done and they wouldn't have qualified and on and on and on . . .

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

Hmmm. Or they were murdered because their parents were nuts, and, similar to the above, not educated properly. Keep spreading the propaganda though, you'll help the nuts come up with that idea. Don't educate yourself or anything drastic like that.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

Where they are not educated.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
RedAtheist219
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 1:39:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 1:12:32 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

It wasn't a prank, it was a test to see if the nation of Israel, which Jehovah was soon to establish to produce Laws, to make the people aware of their sins as well as a Messiah to remove those sins, was worthy of the people who were about to produce said nation.

So you would need a human sacrifice to cure a disease that stemmed from a person eating an apple. It isn't a prank for sure. A human sacrifice is definitely no simple prank. It disgusts me to see how people still see this as moral and righteous.

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It wasn't false.

Talking snakes and donkeys, resurrection and walking into the light, walking on water, the power to move mountains, two of every species on an ark, virginal birth, feeding 5000 men with a few pieces of bread and fish. I take that you do not believe in all that.

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

He didn't.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

The boy, like the Son of God, were willing participants.

If you were being called to be sacrificed because your father told you voices in his head commanded him to, would you be a willing participant for God?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

Are you sure about that? They dream of being soldiers possible sacrificing themselves for dirt and that honor frightened them? Perhaps if it were explained to them, if they were educated properly they wouldn't have thought that since it was obviously unnecessary by the point they came along and it had already been done and they wouldn't have qualified and on and on and on . . .

Then are you educated properly? Would you be willing to sacrifice yourself?

Another question brought up by this is objective morality. People killing themselves, is that moral? Now, people killing themselves in the name of an invisible higher being. Is that moral?

This is why the 911 attacks happened. People hijacking a plane and killing numerous people all in the name of God. It was as if an authority higher than all humans gave them the right to kill others. Killing themselves isn't much of a difference too. The distraction from real morality, stemmed from sympathy and empathy and shaped by human intelligence, why is this morality not thriving?

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

Hmmm. Or they were murdered because their parents were nuts, and, similar to the above, not educated properly. Keep spreading the propaganda though, you'll help the nuts come up with that idea. Don't educate yourself or anything drastic like that.

What if you were called to test your faith by killing your children?

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

Where they are not educated.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 1:41:00 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Of all the crazy things written in Christian scripture this Is probably the most absurd. God ordering A 137 year old man to offer his 37 year old son to God in a pagan style sacrifice, only for God to let him off and sacrifice a sheep instead.

I would have to disagree, but yes, it is pretty bad. Definitely up there on the "Top 10 evil things God has done" list.

The Bible claims that God commanded Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, as a test of his faith, Genesis 22:1-18:

Which is an awful thing to do to a supposed "friend".

And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his a ss, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the as s; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

There are many flaws with this story.

Such as...

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

Correct,

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

Correct.

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

YES I KNOW IT IS SO BLOODY STUPID!!!

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Because he's Yahweh. That's how he rolls....unfortunately...

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

Funny you say that, when my mother told me that story when I was about 5 or 6, I got really worried that God would instruct her to likewise sacrifice me (but the worry was pretty short lived).

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

Source please.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

I know. The OT is slowly waning away from Christianity, even though it is the basis of Christianity since it's almost a semi-bastard Judaism.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 2:00:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 1:39:08 AM, RedAtheist219 wrote:
At 3/13/2016 1:12:32 AM, DavidHenson wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It wasn't false.

Talking snakes and donkeys, resurrection and walking into the light, walking on water, the power to move mountains, two of every species on an ark, virginal birth, feeding 5000 men with a few pieces of bread and fish. I take that you do not believe in all that.

I bet he actually does believe all that. That is what's so crazy.


What if you were called to test your faith by killing your children?

He just might....
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 3:27:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

+1
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:38:36 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 10:48:47 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why was it necessary for you to ask that question?

Because I don't see why a god needs to carry out a pagan style sacrificial ritual. How is it connected to Jesus?

The ram that died in the son's place is symbolic for Jesus dying in all of our places.

And anyway, why does that reasoning mean you had to ask that question?

That's illogical reasoning. Suffering clearly suggests a natural world free from divine intervention. A perfect suffering free world would imply intelligent design was responsible.

In a suffering-free world, people wouldn't give a cow pat about God.

So are you claiming that they are wrong to deny the story is morbid and is a discredit to Christianity?

I doubt that's what you are trying to imply but that's my interpretation. You seem to be calling Christians idiots for denying this story discredits their religion.

Nope, I am calling them idiots for saying that the old testament is less true than the new.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:27:38 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

Perhaps the whole point was to show to us that Abraham was and is faithful to God and that God don"t really want human sacrifices.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:35:25 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 8:27:38 AM, 12_13 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

Perhaps the whole point was to show to us that Abraham was and is faithful to God and that God don"t really want human sacrifices.

Maybe so. However it does show he requires pagan style sacrifices of animals. It also seems bizarre a 137 year old man is so fit and able! It's also cruel for a god to order a man to murder his son even if he eventually lets him off.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:39:01 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 7:38:36 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 10:48:47 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why was it necessary for you to ask that question?

Because I don't see why a god needs to carry out a pagan style sacrificial ritual. How is it connected to Jesus?

The ram that died in the son's place is symbolic for Jesus dying in all of our places.

And anyway, why does that reasoning mean you had to ask that question?

I can't see why a god would value sacrifice of people or animals. It is a silly pagan myth.

That's illogical reasoning. Suffering clearly suggests a natural world free from divine intervention. A perfect suffering free world would imply intelligent design was responsible.

In a suffering-free world, people wouldn't give a cow pat about God.

So are you claiming that they are wrong to deny the story is morbid and is a discredit to Christianity?

I doubt that's what you are trying to imply but that's my interpretation. You seem to be calling Christians idiots for denying this story discredits their religion.

Nope, I am calling them idiots for saying that the old testament is less true than the new.

Both testaments are equally unreliable and false.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:12:32 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 8:27:38 AM, 12_13 wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

Perhaps the whole point was to show to us that Abraham was and is faithful to God and that God don"t really want human sacrifices.

Even though he asked for one.
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:48:03 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

I would like to suggest that everyone just ignore this troll. It craves attention. If you ignore it, it will go away.
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:23:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 7:38:36 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 10:48:47 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why was it necessary for you to ask that question?

Because I don't see why a god needs to carry out a pagan style sacrificial ritual. How is it connected to Jesus?

The ram that died in the son's place is symbolic for Jesus dying in all of our places.

And anyway, why does that reasoning mean you had to ask that question?

That's illogical reasoning. Suffering clearly suggests a natural world free from divine intervention. A perfect suffering free world would imply intelligent design was responsible.

In a suffering-free world, people wouldn't give a cow pat about God.

So are you claiming that they are wrong to deny the story is morbid and is a discredit to Christianity?

I doubt that's what you are trying to imply but that's my interpretation. You seem to be calling Christians idiots for denying this story discredits their religion.

Nope, I am calling them idiots for saying that the old testament is less true than the new.
Neither of them are true, get over it
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 3:43:06 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

Didn't it occur to you that God did it to test Abraham's faith?
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 3:46:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 3:43:06 PM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

Didn't it occur to you that God did it to test Abraham's faith?

That last was directed at the OP. Clicked the wrong button.
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 4:45:36 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 3:46:31 PM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/13/2016 3:43:06 PM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

Didn't it occur to you that God did it to test Abraham's faith?

That last was directed at the OP. Clicked the wrong button.

A Freudian click then?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 5:00:49 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/13/2016 4:45:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 3/13/2016 3:46:31 PM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/13/2016 3:43:06 PM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:49:40 PM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/12/2016 9:37:24 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

If it is true, then God is at fault for playing a barbaric and foolish prank.

God is never at fault

If it is false, it shows the tendency of Biblical writers to insert fiction into the scriptures.

It's not false

Why would God test Abraham since he would already know the outcome in advance?

It was symbolic for Jesus' sacrifice.

Why would God traumatize an innocent boy?

Why is there suffering in the world?

This story has caused many Jewish and Christian boys a certain measure of trauma, thinking God might similarly instruct their father to kill them.

idiots.

Some children have actually been murdered because a parent has believed that God was telling them to do it as a test of their faith, and this scripture has been one of the major instigators of these tragedies.

idiots.

Some Christians will claim that this morbid story is not a discredit to their religion because it falls in the Old Testament, but one thing cannot be denied- it is still in the Bible that they carry to church.

idiots.

Didn't it occur to you that God did it to test Abraham's faith?

That last was directed at the OP. Clicked the wrong button.

A Freudian click then?

A Freudian slip is a verbal or memory mistake that is believed to be linked to the unconscious mind. These slips supposedly reveal the real secret thoughts and feelings that people hold. Typical examples include an individual calling his or her spouse by an ex's name, saying the wrong word or even misinterpreting a written or spoken word.

Since I spend time on another forum, which has the reply button at the bottom of the post instead of at the top, there was no unconscious desire involved. I simply forgot which site I was on.
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.