Jump to topic:

Will there be a Christianity-Ask

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:34:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Has it been done already and if not who should do it? Ideas?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:40:49 PM
I don't think there has been one actually. Feel free to make one unless you don't want to and are waiting for somebody else to do it.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:44:04 PM
No offence, but don't.

It hasn't been done because of the different and utter meaninglessness of Christianity in this era.

To be Christian all you must believe is that Jesus Christ died for you sins. You don't need to believe,

the trinity,
the resurrection,
the virgin birth,
the birth,
the prophets,
the gospels,
the mosaic law,
the teachings of Jesus,
the teachings of the apostle,
Easter,
Christmas,
other fesitiavals, (all St., Lent, passover, harvest ect.)
one holy catholic and apostolic Church,
Doomsday,
Judgement day,
creation
Hell,
Heaven,
the Afterlife,
the Ten commandments,
Nicene Creed.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 12:55:47 PM
At 11/11/2010 12:44:04 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
No offence, but don't.

It hasn't been done because of the different and utter meaninglessness of Christianity in this era.

Basically Fuk the Bible, I do what I want.

We believe in one God, the father, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;
and in one Lord, jesus Christ, the only begotten son of god, light of light, true God of true God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the father;
by whom all things were made;
who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;
he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried;
on third day he rose again, according to the scriptures, and ascended to heaven, and was seated on the right hand of the father;
he shall come to judge the living and the dead;
whose kingdom shall have no end.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come;
Amen.

Memorised in English and Latin!!! ^the Anglician Nicene Creed, the basics to being Christian.

At 11/11/2010 12:46:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Zets, for most people it's not that simple.
That's my point.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:14:09 PM
First of all, Zetsubou, I can pray in another language too (Italian) so that's really not a testament to your religiosity.

Second, it makes no sense to say that one has to believe in Jesus but they don't have to believe in Christmas or Easter, for example. Both of those apply directly to Jesus' life and death... do you know a Christian who doesn't believe in what happened on Easter? It seems you're being bitter or dramatic.

That said, a Christian is welcome to begin a thread like this, though it's already pretty obvious what kinds of things will be addressed. For instance Geo and Freeman typically call out Christians on things that seem paradoxical, contradictory or otherwide fallacious, and examples of those things can be seen all over the forum making this somewhat unnecessary. However it could be helpful at getting specific questions answered or making specific points, so I say go for it, and those who want to take the time to check it out - and those who don't, won't (Zetsubou).
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:19:50 PM
The Bible is not clear on lots of issues, and Christians like to interpret it however they want to suit their beliefs. It is not easy for a non-Christian to get the correct answer unless he looks for answers from specific beliefs (e.g. protestantism, catholicism, etc.).
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:21:21 PM
so no Christianity-Ask.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:23:33 PM
And there is no such thing as celebration of Christmas in order to believe in Jesus (peace be upon him). This celebration is not supported by the Bible.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:25:43 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:21:21 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
so no Christianity-Ask.

If you have questions, you should ask InquireTruth or popculturepooka.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:25:51 PM
so no Christianity-Ask.

I say go for it. Then we can see how different each Christians view of Christianity is.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:42:47 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:23:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
And there is no such thing as celebration of Christmas in order to believe in Jesus (peace be upon him). This celebration is not supported by the Bible.
Correct you are.

At 11/11/2010 1:14:09 PM, theLwerd wrote:
First of all, Zetsubou, I can pray in another language too (Italian) so that's really not a testament to your religiosity.
It is a testament of faith/zeal. One of the reasons I took up Latin was because of my faith.

Second, it makes no sense to say that one has to believe in Jesus but they don't have to believe in Christmas or Easter, for example. Both of those apply directly to Jesus' life and death... do you know a Christian who doesn't believe in what happened on Easter? It seems you're being bitter or dramatic.

Yes, I do, hell, I know many. By Easter I mean the resurrection, they celebrate but they don't believe in miracles: Creation, Noah's flood, Moses' Curses, splitting the red sea, Prophecy of Isaiah, Jesus' healing, walking on water, none of it.

I don't know about America, but as well as the 'new age of secular thought' many theists, especially Christians, have become almost deistic, they don't believe hell or miracles. I mean they disregard almost everything. I don't know if you remember, but my second/third debate on DDO was on this issue "Christian ethics according to liberal "Christians" are not Christian". It was against Askbob as Johngriswald.

It's bad enough Christianity is dying in it's homestead, but the fact that the ones who still follow it, follow it with such little regard is much more saddening.

Yes, I am very bitter.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:45:01 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:42:47 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
Yes, I do, hell, I know many. By Easter I mean the resurrection, they celebrate but they don't believe in miracles: Creation, Noah's flood, Moses' Curses, splitting the red sea, Prophecy of Isaiah, Jesus' healing, walking on water, none of it.
I certainly agree with that.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:48:34 PM
By Easter I mean the resurrection, they celebrate but they don't believe in miracles: Creation, Noah's flood, Moses' Curses, splitting the red sea, Prophecy of Isaiah, Jesus' healing, walking on water, none of it.

Then they're not Christian. To deny Jesus' divinity (allegedly evidenced by the events recounted on Easter) is not to be Christian. I still celebrate Christmas and Easter in a cultural context with my family, but I am not Christian.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:49:54 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:48:34 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Then they're not Christian. To deny Jesus' divinity (allegedly evidenced by the events recounted on Easter) is not to be Christian.
Where does the Bible state that (or Jesus himself)?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:55:30 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:49:54 PM, Mirza wrote:
Then they're not Christian. To deny Jesus' divinity (allegedly evidenced by the events recounted on Easter) is not to be Christian.

John 1...?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:56:34 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:55:30 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

John 1...?
No, it does not.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 1:58:54 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:23:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
Correct you are.

At 11/11/2010 1:14:09 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It is a testament of faith/zeal. One of the reasons I took up Latin was because of my faith.

I don't know about America, but as well as the 'new age of secular thought' many theists, especially Christians, have become almost deistic, they don't believe hell or miracles. I mean they disregard almost everything. I don't know if you remember, but my second/third debate on DDO was on this issue "Christian ethics according to liberal "Christians" are not Christian". It was against Askbob as Johngriswald.

It's bad enough Christianity is dying in it's homestead, but the fact that the ones who still follow it, follow it with such little regard is much more saddening.

Yes, I am very bitter.

You're too young to be bitter. Why by the way. Do you think Christ would be disheartened if people believed less in his miracles than in his teachings? Which do you think is truly the important part of Christianity, the account of him walking on water or his beatitudes? I have often found that it is rare to see both in a single person. I see people that hold tight to the word of scripture but don't have a clue of living the spiritual principles contained. They believe in the instance of water to wine, but live with hate in their heart against their fellow man. Meanwhile, you have someone that may not even know or find terribly interesting the various miracles, but do indeed practice charity, love, kindness, gratitude, prudence etc. I think Christ would opt for person #2.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:04:18 PM
By Easter I mean the resurrection, they celebrate but they don't believe in miracles: Creation, Noah's flood, Moses' Curses, splitting the red sea, Prophecy of Isaiah, Jesus' healing, walking on water, none of it.

Then they're not Christian. To deny Jesus' divinity (allegedly evidenced by the events recounted on Easter) is not to be Christian. I still celebrate Christmas and Easter in a cultural context with my family, but I am not Christian.
They acknowledge his divinity but that's the only needed criteria.

Accept that Jesus is God and you are "Christian".
'sup DDO -- july 2013
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:05:16 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:56:34 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/11/2010 1:55:30 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

John 1...?
No, it does not.

Lol, yes it does. I'd offer to debate you on "The gospels explicitly assert Jesus' divinity," but I know you'd never accept it.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness...That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth...grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:05:56 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:04:18 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Accept that Jesus is God and you are "Christian".
If that is your opinion, then you contradict yourself.

"To be Christian all you must believe is that Jesus Christ died for you sins. You don't need to believe,

the trinity
,..."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:06:19 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:04:18 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Accept that Jesus is your savior and you are "Christian".
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:07:57 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:05:16 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Lol, yes it does. I'd offer to debate you on "The gospels explicitly assert Jesus' divinity," but I know you'd never accept it.
Since you have such faith in your prediction, maybe you can write a gospel of your own?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness...That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth...grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."
Good, debate me on this:

"John 1:1 states that Jesus is God, and that you must believe that he is divine in order to be a Christian"

Thank you very much.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:09:36 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:07:57 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/11/2010 2:05:16 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Since you have such faith in your prediction, maybe you can write a gospel of your own?

Uh, why would I do that?

Good, debate me on this:

"John 1:1 states that Jesus is God, and that you must believe that he is divine in order to be a Christian"

Thank you very much.

Can I use other verses to support my contention? You have to consider the passage in context.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:09:55 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:09:00 PM, Mirza wrote:
And you can also debate me on, "Jesus never claimed divinity with his own cited words"

Sure.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:11:32 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:09:36 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Uh, why would I do that?
I was kidding.

Can I use other verses to support my contention? You have to consider the passage in context.
You explicitly mentioned John 1:1, and no other verses are to be used (except a few in John, chapter 1). A lot can be said with hundreds of passages, which is why I want a good limit for the sake of character space.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:11:49 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:25:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
so no Christianity-Ask.

I say go for it. Then we can see how different each Christians view of Christianity is.

I would prefer if someone else posted this topic because I'm extremely unexperienced:
0-about 12 I only knew that I was a Christian (never read a verse in my life unless told to)

12-about 13 I would describe myself as a Taoist and sometimes as a Buddhist or simply as a truth seeker

13-To now Only two years of experience and most of those two years didn't have anything to do with religion
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:12:44 PM
At 11/11/2010 2:09:55 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 11/11/2010 2:09:00 PM, Mirza wrote:
And you can also debate me on, "Jesus never claimed divinity with his own cited words"

Sure.
And that means Jesus saying, "I am God" etc. It is not about what John or Mark stated, even if you find his citations in their writings (which you, of course, will).
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 2:13:22 PM
At 11/11/2010 1:25:43 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
so no Christianity-Ask.

If you have questions, you should ask InquireTruth or popculturepooka.

popculturepooka ?
Why?