Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Question for Christians

VirBinarus
Posts: 323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:12:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 5:11:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
How do you know the Bible is correct?

Colossians 1:4-7

4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God"s people" 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel 6 that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world"just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God"s grace.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:35:38 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 5:11:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
How do you know the Bible is correct?

So now you know , the bible is true.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 8:56:21 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 7:12:08 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 3/18/2016 5:11:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
How do you know the Bible is correct?

Colossians 1:4-7

4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God"s people" 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel 6 that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world"just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God"s grace.

You use the bible to prove the bible is true....f*cking. classic.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:36:53 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 5:11:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
How do you know the Bible is correct?

I don't trust the pen of a scribe, because the Bible tells me Jesus said so.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:17:28 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?

You don't know the book I refer to: nature
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:38:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?
Prophecy. Show me one Biblical prophecy that has been proven to be inaccurate. You cant. If that is not proof of Divine authorship, what is?
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:40:57 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 3:17:28 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?

You don't know the book I refer to: nature

I'm not talking about god. I'm talking about the bible/christianity
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:42:41 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 3:38:43 AM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?
Prophecy. Show me one Biblical prophecy that has been proven to be inaccurate. You cant. If that is not proof of Divine authorship, what is?

lets start with two that you think are accurate.

What would you say is your most convincing, top two prophecies?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:58:55 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 3:40:57 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:17:28 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?

You don't know the book I refer to: nature

I'm not talking about god. I'm talking about the bible/christianity

Then read the reply I gave about scribes
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:24:06 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 3:58:55 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:40:57 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:17:28 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?

You don't know the book I refer to: nature

I'm not talking about god. I'm talking about the bible/christianity

Then read the reply I gave about scribes

"I don't trust the pen of a scribe, because the Bible tells me Jesus said so."

You realize this is circular reasoning, correct?

If I wrote a book that 1) said some historical figure that was a nice guy was God, and 2) said everything I wrote in the book was correct, you would have to believe it to stay consistent.

Since there are many books that say they are the correct ones, how did you pick? Do you identify as the same religion as your parents?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:58:19 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 4:24:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:58:55 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:40:57 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:17:28 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?

You don't know the book I refer to: nature

I'm not talking about god. I'm talking about the bible/christianity

Then read the reply I gave about scribes

"I don't trust the pen of a scribe, because the Bible tells me Jesus said so."

You realize this is circular reasoning, correct?

If I wrote a book that 1) said some historical figure that was a nice guy was God, and 2) said everything I wrote in the book was correct, you would have to believe it to stay consistent.

Since there are many books that say they are the correct ones, how did you pick? Do you identify as the same religion as your parents?

Do you understand Jesus said NOT to trust the pen of the scribe? Did you know the Bible says to test everything and keep what is good? Did you know the Bible says you will tell good by the fruits it produces, backed by the logic that we don't gather grapes from thorn bushes, that a fruit tree doesn't produce poison berries.

Do you accept things because they are written in a Science book (Is that your holy book)? Do you accept things because they are attested by scientist (You didn't want an Author to be the authority)?

Or do you accept things things based on personal experience, logic, and usefulness?

I think the Bible is a book that is the composition of narratives, poetry, and records of people. People inspired by God. That they did their best given their culture, time period, and understanding to convey what God had inspired them with. Manipulated and edited by politicians. Translated from languages nearly lost, into languages with out 100% analog terms.

I pray and praise God for the spirit. I struggle to temper all my actions with wisdom, Strength and Love. I try to be content with my labor and not proud of the results.

While you may imply it is unreasonable to digest the testimony of some goat herders from 6,000 years ago; I consider it arrogant to presume a position of intellectual superiority sustained by elaborating doubt and pulling other people down. There is doubt in every statement made, doubt in every epistemology, doubt and error in every method of investigation. It's too easy to nay say. But human progress is made by arguments back with evidence. Progress is made by creating, refining, and establishing concepts. It's not made by tearing everyone else down and then when asked "well how do you think it is?" cowardly hide in "I don't know", Yes, we are all in the dark, unhappy with where we are at. But don't act like staying still and quite is the smartest thing to do.
LittleBallofHATE
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:36:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/19/2016 3:42:41 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 3:38:43 AM, LittleBallofHATE wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:54:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:45:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:02:29 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I cant say that I'm surprised there is only one person that answered. I think religious people deep down know how ridiculous their reasoning sounds.

The answer that was given is really the only answer that can be given. The bible is true because the bible says its true.

I think that's a small step above having a belief based on doubt. A stubborn rejection based on emotion. Arguments composed of criticism instead of premises.


Imagine a world where the only standard we used to determine fact from fiction is that the author simply has to say its true.

Even if that author is the very author of reality.

How do you know god is the author?
Prophecy. Show me one Biblical prophecy that has been proven to be inaccurate. You cant. If that is not proof of Divine authorship, what is?

lets start with two that you think are accurate.

What would you say is your most convincing, top two prophecies?

The seventy weeks of Daniel, and the destruction of Tyre.
I would agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong.