Jump to topic:

Why has the Bible not continued?

Cogito-ergo-sum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 6:42:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
As the topic states, I am curious to know why the Bible no longer continues to have Books added to it. Christianity didn't stop, did it? God did God's bit and went away so that's it?
Thoughts???
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 9:57:02 AM
At 11/12/2010 6:42:14 AM, Cogito-ergo-sum wrote:
As the topic states, I am curious to know why the Bible no longer continues to have Books added to it. Christianity didn't stop, did it? God did God's bit and went away so that's it?
Thoughts???

well, according to mormons there is a book added to it, as well as Muslims who subtract everything written by John and generally ignore the rest of the bible too on the grounds that it's been mistranslated. same with the mormons

on Supernatural, a new gospel was said to be planned to be added called the Winchester Gospel.

personally I think there's only two serious ways at approaching this question, one is to consider the trend that now writer of religious works feels confident enough to call themselves a prophet, or that there writings in anyway truly add to what bible already says with the books in it, so why fight to have it added?

the second approach is to ask why God has stopped writing his divine word for us through the holy spirit in his servants? I think this is in large part because what is already there is what we need right now, and more is unnecessary. also there is a general trend towards less supernatural events in general in our era compered to the previous ones, so I think Satan has (like in Job) gone to god and made an accusation of some kind that suggest we only believe because of those obviously supernatural events that god has chosen to accept the challenge and raise us without them (in general, not to say exceptions don't exist), and new additions to the word are neglected because of that.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 11:17:57 AM
Thoughts???
Christianity dictates that there are no more prophets past the Messiah era.

After state Christianity and the Greek Codices I don't think it was feasible to add another book to mainstream circulation.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 11:46:08 AM
At 11/12/2010 11:17:57 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Thoughts???

After state Christianity and the Greek Codices I don't think it was feasible to add another book to mainstream circulation.

"Christianity dictates that there are no more prophets past the Messiah era".

Interesting but not entirely correct ! What about "Agabus" who is mentioned after Christ ascended ?
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:00:45 PM
At 11/12/2010 11:46:08 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Thoughts???

Interesting but not entirely correct ! What about "Agabus" who is mentioned after Christ ascended ?
I've never heard of him, but he is part of the Seventy Disciples who are within the "Jesus Era".
'sup DDO -- july 2013
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:12:22 PM
At 11/12/2010 12:00:45 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/12/2010 11:46:08 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Thoughts???

I've never heard of him, but he is part of the Seventy Disciples who are within the "Jesus Era".

No, the NT [1611 KJV] clearly names him as a Prophet !

Acts 21:10 - "A certain Prophet named Agabus"
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:18:07 PM
Thoughts???

When everything has been "said and done" (fulfilled) what else is there to add ?, everything you need has been provided, so no need to perfect perfection.
JimProfit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:34:05 PM

It's called Warhammer 40k. (I'm half joking here... lol! I'm implying Christianity is a fictional novel, but I have religious beliefs and they're best represented in Warhammer 40k. It's like comparing neoconservatives to Dirty Harry. Same principle, just not as cool...)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 2:35:02 PM
At 11/12/2010 12:34:05 PM, JimProfit wrote:

It's called Warhammer 40k. (I'm half joking here... lol! I'm implying Christianity is a fictional novel, but I have religious beliefs and they're best represented in Warhammer 40k. It's like comparing neoconservatives to Dirty Harry. Same principle, just not as cool...)

I remember back in my old school days trying to liken the sacrifice of Jesus to the eternal suffering of the Emperor... he did not quite get it.

Of course that was before it was all toned down to appeal to 11 year old boys.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2010 4:52:11 PM

You worship a necrotic psychic vampire?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2010 8:15:14 PM

I was Tzeentch when I played. I never won a single match but I used to cry out "Tzeetch is upon you!" all the same. Damn expensive religion, Chaos.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...