Jump to topic:

Atheists Have Nothing to Lose . . .

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:21:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
By becoming a Christian, going to church, getting their act together, etc.

Why do atheists have such a problem with considering Christianity as an option (in terms of a religion)?

What do you guys have to lose?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:27:18 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:21:15 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Why do atheists have such a problem with considering Christianity as an option (in terms of a religion)?

Nothing.
And what have we got to gain
Nothing
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:27:18 PM

Because it isn't credible!
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:32:13 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:27:18 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Nothing.
Nothing
"If I'm wrong about God then I've wasted my life. If you're wrong about God then you've wasted your eternity."

I think this quote from Lecrae pretty much sums it up . . . The real question here is, would you rather risk losing your salvation by being an atheist, or would you rather risk wasting your life by being a Christian? I would definitely chose the latter, because eternity is a long time.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:32:56 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:27:18 PM, tarantula wrote:

How so? There are many things that suggest that Christianity is credible. Why do you believe it isn't credible?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:42:57 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:32:13 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Nothing.
Nothing
"If I'm wrong about God then I've wasted my life. If you're wrong about God then you've wasted your eternity."

I think this quote from Lecrae pretty much sums it up . . . The real question here is, would you rather risk losing your salvation by being an atheist, or would you rather risk wasting your life by being a Christian? I would definitely chose the latter, because eternity is a long time.

Your right. And I hope you are. And I kind of wish I could feel the way you do. But my head or what ever it is . Won't let me.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:44:59 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:42:57 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Nothing.
Nothing

Your right. And I hope you are. And I kind of wish I could feel the way you do. But my head or what ever it is . Won't let me.
You're in control of your own beliefs . . . In fact, if I wanted to, I could become a liberal right now. I'm not programmed to be a conservative, you know. That's why I used to be a conservative, then a liberal, and back to a conservative.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:46:19 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:32:56 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

How so? There are many things that suggest that Christianity is credible. Why do you believe it isn't credible?

Virgins don't give birth, truly dead people don't resurrect, etc. The miracles attributed to Jesus aren't credible. In fact the life of Jesus is just a story with no evidence to support any of it.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:48:38 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:46:19 PM, tarantula wrote:

Virgins don't give birth, truly dead people don't resurrect, etc. The miracles attributed to Jesus aren't credible. In fact the life of Jesus is just a story with no evidence to support any of it.
There's plenty of evidence, with the greatest being the Bible. Also, if I may add, the testimonies of millions is a very convincing piece of evidence. Did you know there are more Christians in the world than any other religion? There's a reason for that . . . The God of Abraham exists, He is the only true god, and no other gods exist besides Him.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:51:58 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:48:38 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

There's plenty of evidence, with the greatest being the Bible. Also, if I may add, the testimonies of millions is a very convincing piece of evidence. Did you know there are more Christians in the world than any other religion? There's a reason for that . . . The God of Abraham exists, He is the only true god, and no other gods exist besides Him.

The Bible is NOT evidence. Even if the whole world believed in Christianity that doesn't make it true, that is a silly argument! You cannot prove the deity exists, so stating it as a fact is a lie!
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:52:39 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:51:58 PM, tarantula wrote:

The Bible is NOT evidence. Even if the whole world believed in Christianity that doesn't make it true, that is a silly argument! You cannot prove the deity exists, so stating it as a fact is a lie!
The Bible is historically accurate, in fact, many historians use it as historical fact. How can you say it isn't evidence?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:57:11 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:52:39 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:51:58 PM, tarantula wrote:

The Bible is historically accurate, in fact, many historians use it as historical fact. How can you say it isn't evidence?

Oh don't be so very silly! No genuine historian would ever consider the creation story, for instance, historical, only a crazy YEC, maybe!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:03:07 PM

Hello Mr Pascal.
Integrity and honesty.
Two capacities never demonstrated by theists.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:14:50 PM

Christians Have Nothing to Lose ...

By becoming an atheist, avoiding superstitions, getting their act together, etc.

Why do Christians have such a problem with considering atheism as an option (in terms of a worldview)?

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:42:31 PM

Integrity, honesty, respect, reason, rationale, logic, compassion, love, courage, happiness, dignity, honor, objective, open, responsibility, sanity, tolerance and host of other characteristic and traits I would lose if considering Christianity as an option.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 3:57:49 PM

Our minds.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:16:58 PM

Atheists don't want to be Christians for the same reason you don't want to be a Scientologist that believes in the evil overlord Xenu, thetans and e-meters. What do you have to lose?

More practically, you give up some of your ability to critically think. I have always been a seeker of truth but I was surprised with how much clarity I saw the world when I got rid of religion.

Imagine two 15 year old children - one that believes in an imaginary friend that loves him and is watching over him to swoop in and save the day if necessary; the other one that is a realist and does not believe in an imaginary friend. Is one better prepared for life? Why would you be concerned if your 15 yr old still believed in an imaginary friend and why? Is one more likely to have a rational, more pragmatic approach to life decisions?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:19:02 PM

Nothing.
Nothing

According to the Muslims, you will not have a pleasant afterlife. Since both the religions have equal claims to divine revelation, you might be riding the wrong horse straight to fire and brimstone.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:20:19 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:44:59 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:42:57 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Nothing.
Nothing

You're in control of your own beliefs . . . In fact, if I wanted to, I could become a liberal right now. I'm not programmed to be a conservative, you know. That's why I used to be a conservative, then a liberal, and back to a conservative.

The truth should be in control of your beliefs. Believing whatever you want despite the truth is an obvious problem.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:37:37 PM

What a ridiculous attitude.

If one does not follow the bible they should not call themselves Christians. That's what we have to lose. Our own free will. Our own morals.
Time spent in church. Church may have been a vital part of society in the past, but it is not any more, the majority of churchgoers are not specifically people whom I need or want to know.
What is the probability that the Christian God is the real one?
Why would I pray to a God instead of taking my life in my own hand? If I am thankful for life, wouldn't 'God' already know? Why would I constantly have to pray? Wouldn't that seem kind of pathetic?
And also, the God portrayed in the Bible is by no means an entity whom I would have respect for, nor worship. Which begs to question your morality and why you would question others who do not do as you do.

So, the same question would apply to you, why do you see it as such a problem considering non Christianity? I don't walk around and tell people to become atheists or agnostic. Yet Christians do that. Which is why whenever I meet any Christians who tell me that they are Christians, why they would even do that though is the other question, as I almost never talk about religion and most certainly do not ask people about their opinion in regards to religion, I will question their belief beyond the polite, as I'm better versed in the Bible than most 'Christians'.. And they are never able to justify why they are Christian. So why should I consider Christianity?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:46:30 PM

Nothing.
Nothing

Which Christianity should I choose? Catholicism, protestantism, Greek orthodoxism, Russian orthodoxism, presbyteranism etc? And why Christianity? Why not Islam, Hinduism, any African tribe religion, any Australian Aboriginal religion, etc etc?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:50:03 PM

Also, wouldn't God be very able to see if someone really believes in him or if someone only is going to church without belief only because "it would be more safe consideringa possible afterlife than being atheist"?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:02:23 PM
I mean - what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
- you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:08:15 PM

Nothing.
Nothing

If you're wrong about God you've wasted your only shot in eternity
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:11:47 PM
At 3/19/2016 5:08:15 PM, mc9 wrote:

Nothing.
Nothing

If you're wrong about God you've wasted your only shot in eternity
Is that a big deal?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 8:25:11 PM

I know Christianity is false so have nothing to gain by pretending to believe in it. It would be stupid for me to attend church services.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 8:45:34 PM

It would be intellectually dishonest, NLC. I would be submitting to a myth supported by ignorance and contrary to reason and evidence.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 8:49:52 PM

Nothing.
Nothing

Potentially wasting a known, tangible, finite life versus potentially wasting an afterlife that people are guessing about? There's no question about what the right choice is, there. But if you think the right thing to do is become a false Christian, then have I got a deal for you. Give me $500 and I guarantee you'll go to heaven. God personally came to me and said anyone who gave me $500 would be absolved of all sins in perpetuity and go to heaven when they die. PM me and I'll give you my address so you can send a money order.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 9:17:52 PM

An afternoon, every sunday, for the rest of my life
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 9:42:27 PM
Honesty, integrity, tolerance, kindness, peace and countless Sunday mornings.

Now please tell us how atheists 'do not have their act together', and while you do I'll explain how such a belief is deficient in honesty, integrity, tolerance, kindness and peace.