Jump to topic:

Have you ever converted someone on ddo?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 12:33:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Theists have you ever persuaded another user of this website to adopt your religion? Or have you been converted to a particular religion while using this website?

Atheists have you ever persuaded someone on this website that their belief in god(s) is actually false? Or have you through using this website realized that no gods exist?

From my experience it seems everyone here is 100% sure their views are right and have very set opinions. It seems a place where people with strong opinions on religion gather to attack opposing views in ways that are often best avoided in real life. I accept I am one of those people.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 12:41:33 AM
I was reading this topic, and it was like a light suddenly went off in my brain, and it hit me. Jesus is the one true lord!

You have converted me. Thank you, Chloe.! Thank you!
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 12:51:11 AM
At 3/21/2016 12:41:33 AM, Stronn wrote:
I was reading this topic, and it was like a light suddenly went off in my brain, and it hit me. Jesus is the one true lord!

I'm an atheist lol.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:12:51 AM
At 3/21/2016 12:51:11 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 3/21/2016 12:41:33 AM, Stronn wrote:

I'm an atheist lol.

I was an atheist too, until you converted me. Thanks again!
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:29:58 AM
At 3/21/2016 12:33:40 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
Theists have you ever persuaded another user of this website to adopt your religion? Or have you been converted to a particular religion while using this website?

Atheists have you ever persuaded someone on this website that their belief in god(s) is actually false? Or have you through using this website realized that no gods exist?

From my experience it seems everyone here is 100% sure their views are right and have very set opinions. It seems a place where people with strong opinions on religion gather to attack opposing views in ways that are often best avoided in real life. I accept I am one of those people.

I won't deny I have whatchamacallit bias. Everyone does. The best you could do is be honest.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 7:38:18 PM

Yes I came here rather deistic and expected Atheist to live up to the hype of being rationally ground in their stoicism towards God/s. But after speaking with many of them and watching youtube channels of some Atheist and reading Atheistic literature I am fully conferted to Christianity.

And I have now come to consider Atheism an emotional position, a symptom of a mind robbed of consistent cognitive rationale.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 7:50:01 PM
At 3/21/2016 7:38:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Yes I came here rather deistic and expected Atheist to live up to the hype of being rationally ground in their stoicism towards God/s. But after speaking with many of them and watching youtube channels of some Atheist and reading Atheistic literature I am fully conferted to Christianity.

And I have now come to consider Atheism an emotional position, a symptom of a mind robbed of consistent cognitive rationale.
And now his fear of death is pacified.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 7:52:11 PM

I had massive flame wars with RationalThinker for months or maybe years and after a while he changed from atheist to agnostic to believer in some type of God, weather I had any influence on him, I can't say, but he did change his tune.
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:37:17 PM

Through several conversations in the religion forum (some of which you were a part of), I believe that I am now agnostic.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:41:14 PM
At 3/21/2016 10:37:17 PM, Godgirl wrote:

Through several conversations in the religion forum (some of which you were a part of), I believe that I am now agnostic.

I'd like to know what those were...if you don't mind..
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:44:04 PM
At 3/21/2016 10:41:14 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

The general discussion/arguments that took place.... if too complicated could you sum up the arrangements that took place to convert you?? I'd be interested in the rationale...
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:01:50 PM
At 3/21/2016 10:44:04 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

The general discussion/arguments that took place.... if too complicated could you sum up the arrangements that took place to convert you?? I'd be interested in the rationale...

This list, shared to me by Chloe8(I think) in another thread :
http://www.kyroot.com...
Someone (dee-em I think) said something along these lines:
Requiring a blood sacrifice (his own son, God to God) to appease himself isn't perfect . . .
The thread "if the Christian God exists he must be evil"
And other things I can't remember. Plus lots of things I thought about without the help of strangers on the internet . . .
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:16:22 PM
At 3/21/2016 11:01:50 PM, Godgirl wrote:

Okay, you do know these are secular opinions and the assumption that....

"Most Christians fail to comprehend the implications of the belief system they embrace. Much of what they " know" about their religion is a highly sanitized version that is promoted by their priests and pastors. Few bother to read and understand what is written in the Bible or think critically about what Christian doctrine implies."

is blatantly false right??....

Requiring a blood sacrifice (his own son, God to God) to appease himself isn't perfect . . .

What needs to be perfect in your mind?? so do you understand sacrifice as a spiritual principle or do you have a more secular view of it??

Maybe you can direct me here a little.... if you think an atheists view of the "Christian" God is evil I would like to hear it....and for it to be relevant....

And other things I can't remember. Plus lots of things I thought about without the help of strangers on the internet . . .

Elaborate if you wouldn't mind....
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:49:14 PM
At 3/21/2016 11:16:22 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

"Most Christians fail to comprehend the implications of the belief system they embrace. Much of what they " know" about their religion is a highly sanitized version that is promoted by their priests and pastors. Few bother to read and understand what is written in the Bible or think critically about what Christian doctrine implies."

No, I think there is some truth in it. Maybe not for you, but it certainly applies to me and several other Christians.

What needs to be perfect in your mind?? so do you understand sacrifice as a spiritual principle or do you have a more secular view of it??

Maybe you can direct me here a little.... if you think an atheists view of the "Christian" God is evil I would like to hear it....and for it to be relevant....
http://www.debate.org...
This is actually less convincing now than it was the first time I read it

If God knows everything, then why would he create people that he knows will not believe in him? Why are they created if they are predestined to go to hell?

Some people are simply more prone to doubt and scepticism than others. God created them that way. It doesn't seem fair that these people will be eternally separated from him simply because of the way he designed them, while others who don't think as critically are allowed into heaven for eternity.

Why can't we all start our lives in the garden of Eden and then get kicked out when we do wrong? Shouldn't we be punished for our own choices instead of the choices of our great great great etc. grandparents?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:37:29 AM
At 3/21/2016 11:49:14 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 3/21/2016 11:16:22 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

No, I think there is some truth in it. Maybe not for you, but it certainly applies to me and several other Christians.

http://www.debate.org...
This is actually less convincing now than it was the first time I read it

If God knows everything, then why would he create people that he knows will not believe in him? Why are they created if they are predestined to go to hell?

Some people are simply more prone to doubt and scepticism than others. God created them that way. It doesn't seem fair that these people will be eternally separated from him simply because of the way he designed them, while others who don't think as critically are allowed into heaven for eternity.

Why can't we all start our lives in the garden of Eden and then get kicked out when we do wrong? Shouldn't we be punished for our own choices instead of the choices of our great great great etc. grandparents?

Some excellent points in this post. Agnosticism is a very sensible position. Although I'm 100% sure the Christian god of the bible does not exist I acknowledge I cannot entirely disprove the existence of some type of god or creator (although i think its highly unlikely one exists) so I describe my views as atheistic agnosticism.