Jump to topic:

Parent in heaven, child in hell.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 8:16:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Using orthodox Christian doctrine, it must be assumed that some people will go to Heaven and some people will go to Hell. Since judgment is an individual matter, it must also be assumed that some members of the same family can end up in both places. This presents a terrible problem for Christian parents who find themselves in heaven, but discover that their son or daughter is in Hell. It would seem unlikely that they could enjoy this situation or muster the fortitude to worship a god who is simultaneously torturing their children.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 8:33:37 PM
At 3/21/2016 8:16:10 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Using orthodox Christian doctrine, it must be assumed that some people will go to Heaven and some people will go to Hell. Since judgment is an individual matter, it must also be assumed that some members of the same family can end up in both places. This presents a terrible problem for Christian parents who find themselves in heaven, but discover that their son or daughter is in Hell. It would seem unlikely that they could enjoy this situation or muster the fortitude to worship a god who is simultaneously torturing their children.

That depends on many things, a child who is raised in truth, righteousness and justice will likely one day walk in it. However this is not something anyone could have control over, that's like saying my children could die in a horrible car accident and given that possibility I must fold under it or surrender to the fear, that is something that is out of my hands.

The next problem is.... what is "hell", is it really a place where God tortures people for eternity or is it just an idea of justice and accountability, if the former I have no control over those things and would like to believe my children will possess the same heart as I do, which is to love and honor God, anything outside that is not my business because I am not the maker and destroyer of souls, God is and I trust His judgement.

And then of course....as an atheist how much do you trust God?? as a believer there is no fear of injustice or cruel acts of torture, we must assume that God being the Master of everything knows all what needs to be done, not me....I'm just a vessel, not a God...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 9:03:22 PM
At 3/21/2016 8:33:37 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

That depends on many things, a child who is raised in truth, righteousness and justice will likely one day walk in it. However this is not something anyone could have control over, that's like saying my children could die in a horrible car accident and given that possibility I must fold under it or surrender to the fear, that is something that is out of my hands.

The next problem is.... what is "hell", is it really a place where God tortures people for eternity or is it just an idea of justice and accountability, if the former I have no control over those things and would like to believe my children will possess the same heart as I do, which is to love and honor God, anything outside that is not my business because I am not the maker and destroyer of souls, God is and I trust His judgement.

And then of course....as an atheist how much do you trust God?? as a believer there is no fear of injustice or cruel acts of torture, we must assume that God being the Master of everything knows all what needs to be done, not me....I'm just a vessel, not a God...

Hypothetically christianity is true. You die and ascend to heaven. You discover a close family member Is in hell. How would you approach this? If one of your children was being tortured for eternity would you feel aggrieved? Or through faith in god would you think they deserved their punishment?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 9:28:02 PM
At 3/21/2016 9:03:22 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Hypothetically christianity is true. You die and ascend to heaven. You discover a close family member Is in hell. How would you approach this? If one of your children was being tortured for eternity would you feel aggrieved? Or through faith in god would you think they deserved their punishment?

Neither. You never dealt with the possibility that God does not torture people for eternity, that is not what I believe....
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:26:17 PM

What is hell, and who goes there?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:29:30 PM

If you are so concerned, then you better make sure those children get saved, correct?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:40:27 PM
Interesting that some don't believe Hell is eternal punishment. Matthew 25:46 states "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Seems pretty concrete to me.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:41:09 AM
At 3/21/2016 9:28:02 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 3/21/2016 9:03:22 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Neither. You never dealt with the possibility that God does not torture people for eternity, that is not what I believe....

Well it says it in your holy book. What is your interpretation of what will happen in hell? It amazes me how much variation exists among Christians in their interpretations on key bible teachings.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:43:52 AM
At 3/21/2016 10:26:17 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It is a mythical place that does not exist. So no one goes there.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:48:34 AM
At 3/21/2016 10:29:30 PM, DPMartin wrote:

If you are so concerned, then you better make sure those children get saved, correct?

I'm suggesting you discover your child is in hell not heaven after you die. Hypothetically Christianity was true. As a perfect Christian you go to heaven. You have a son who converts to Buddhism after your death on earth meaning you are powerless to stop him converting. As a consequence he gets sent to hell despite being a good person in all Other respects. You would surely be angered by God's decision?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:51:25 AM
At 3/21/2016 11:40:27 PM, dhardage wrote:
Interesting that some don't believe Hell is eternal punishment. Matthew 25:46 states "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Agree. Many Christians however bend scripture in a variety of ways to match their opinions and get rid of the crazy and nasty bits.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:54:05 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:43:52 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 3/21/2016 10:26:17 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It is a mythical place that does not exist. So no one goes there.

Then what's the problem?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:56:44 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:48:34 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

I'm suggesting you discover your child is in hell not heaven after you die. Hypothetically Christianity was true. As a perfect Christian you go to heaven. You have a son who converts to Buddhism after your death on earth meaning you are powerless to stop him converting. As a consequence he gets sent to hell despite being a good person in all Other respects. You would surely be angered by God's decision?

In this hypothetical scenario, what did he go to hell for. You said he "was a good person". So what did he do that he was "sent to hell"? And what is hell in the first place?

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:56:53 AM

They'll appreciate it because justice has been served. It won't be a problem.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:02:22 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:51:25 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Agree. Many Christians however bend scripture in a variety of ways to match their opinions and get rid of the crazy and nasty bits.

Such as?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:06:51 AM

Are we basing the child's judgement on this?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:07:40 AM
Sermon on the Mount

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:21:45 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:56:44 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

In this hypothetical scenario, what did he go to hell for. You said he "was a good person". So what did he do that he was "sent to hell"? And what is hell in the first place?

I'm sure you know the verses so I won't bother showing them. He is sent to hell because he worshipped another god. According to the bible Hell is a place of loneliness where people are burnt and starved of food, water and oxygen for eternity

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:25:02 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:02:22 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 3/22/2016 12:51:25 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Such as?

There are many examples. Some people claim Christianity allows for an old earth for example. Others claim Christianity allows evolution is allowed. Some claim gay marriage is permitted. You know what I mean. It's hard to find two Christians who interpret the bible in identical ways.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:25:42 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:21:45 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

I'm sure you know the verses so I won't bother showing them. He is sent to hell because he worshipped another god. According to the bible Hell is a place of loneliness where people are burnt and starved of food, water and oxygen for eternity

Buhdism is a nontheistic religion.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:29:51 AM
"According to the bible Hell is a place of loneliness where people are burnt and starved of food, water and oxygen for eternity."

Based on?

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:38:06 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:56:53 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

The futility of arguing with the religious. No need to think. God's right because he is God.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:40:11 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:38:06 AM, Double_R wrote:

The futility of arguing with the religious. No need to think. God's right because he is God.

Well, that's the definition of God... holy, omniscient, etc.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:42:20 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:25:42 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

https://www.openbible.info...

Devotion is an important part of the practice of most Buddhists. Devotional practices include bowing, offerings, pilgrimage, and chanting. In Pure Land Buddhism, devotion to the Buddha Amitabha is the main practice. In Nichiren Buddhism, devotion to the Lotus Sutra is the main practice.

You may or may not agree, maybe you think the Christian god accepts Buddhists to heaven. Again some Christians will say yes others no. Suppose he became a yazidi then?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:47:43 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:40:11 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

So if your son was sent to hell for believing the wrong religion you would have no complaints? It seems a harsh position but I suppose you are too scared of god to question him. In a real life scenario no reasonable person would allow someone to violently torture their child for making a simple mistake. The person in question searched for the truth but came across one of the many lies. How is eternal torture a suitable punishment?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:50:52 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:42:20 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

Devotion is an important part of the practice of most Buddhists. Devotional practices include bowing, offerings, pilgrimage, and chanting. In Pure Land Buddhism, devotion to the Buddha Amitabha is the main practice. In Nichiren Buddhism, devotion to the Lotus Sutra is the main practice.

You may or may not agree, maybe you think the Christian god accepts Buddhists to heaven. Again some Christians will say yes others no. Suppose he became a yazidi then?

Only God judges. The Bible says he gives to anyone what they put out. He is merciful by the measure one is merciful. He is forgiving by the measure one forgives. Those who are not under His grace in salvation through Christ face the judgement.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:53:23 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:42:20 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

If the particular Yazidi is truely a devil worshipper, and aheres to Satan's ways, that would be telling...

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:09:16 AM

Is God just a definition, or is he an actual being that actually exists in your view?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:21:05 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:47:43 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

So if your son was sent to hell for believing the wrong religion you would have no complaints? It seems a harsh position but I suppose you are too scared of god to question him. In a real life scenario no reasonable person would allow someone to violently torture their child for making a simple mistake. The person in question searched for the truth but came across one of the many lies. How is eternal torture a suitable punishment?

If my child went to prison for a crime, I wouldn't hate the courts. I would be disappointed.

My testimony his/her entire life would bare witness against their logic of "choosing a lie". Nevertheless, their judgement would be based in measure by their own decisions and deeds whether I was "scared of God" or not. If they chose a life that warrants a tormenting punishment, Biblically they would recieve what they dished out. Nice? Nope. Just? Yup.

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:29:51 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:47:43 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

I haven't claimed any objective reason why someone goes to Hell. Having said that, anyone who ends in Hell deserves it and, in fact, has chosen it. No one accidentally goes to Hell. That's a straw man argument.