Total Posts:157|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I don't get why people think god exists

fire_wings
Posts: 5,555
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 9:15:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

You mean you "don't get why people believe in the Bible"?.... God didn't create the earth in 6 days just like God didn't need to take a nap on the 7th, it's just a model dude.....

And science, science is not anti-God, atheism is. Science just explains what God did it's not an atheist agenda, it's just a method not a world view....
janesix
Posts: 3,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 9:18:29 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!
I believe in god and science. They are not mutually exclusive.
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 9:29:53 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Seems to me that you can't discern why people are fundamentalists, believing a god exists doesn't necessarily entail they buy into bogus historical/metaphorical writings as true.
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:01:29 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
I don't get why people think god exists

It is the best explanation for why we exist as we can see and why Bible exists and knows future events so well.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:18:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

I'll give you a wee little snippet.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:18:22 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
"I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God."
(Revelation 20:4)

"ISIS declares war on the cross, beheading Christians"

http://www.ijreview.com...

-----

What/who is antichrist?

"Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist--denying the Father and the Son."
(1 John 2:22)

So Denying the "Son" is antichrist.

The Quran says Jesus is not the Son of God word for word.

http://youtu.be...

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the FALSE PROPHET had been thrown."
(Revelation 20:10)

False prophet that denounces Christ? Here's one, and he is infallable.

Aaah...the shahada, the testimony of faith. Who is the "Great prophet"? Muhammed of course. He is so infallable that he cannot be depicted. He thought he got his revelation(The Quran) from a demon. He was accused of demon posession as a child.

http://youtu.be...

"The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the IMAGE could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed."
(Revelation 13:15)

Who bows to an image? Here's who.

http://youtu.be...

Islamic tradition holds that it "fell from heaven."

In the hadith it says,"Thus Allah wrote this confirmation. And this stone has a pair of eyes, ears and a tongue and it opened its mouth upon the order of Allah (swt), who put that confirmation in it and ordered to witness it to all those worshippers who come for Hajj."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

-----

Isaiah 17:1

"This message came to me concerning Damascus: 'Look, Damascus will fall! It will become a heap of ruins."

"Damascus has been leveled"

http://youtu.be...

-----

"The great city, Jerusalem, split into three parts, eventually the great cities of the nations collapsed."
(Revelation 16:19)

Jerusalem is now divided between 3 religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:23:13 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Here's a little more to wet your appetite.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:23:33 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Atheism is philosophically impossible:

-----

The Kalam cosmological argument states:

Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore:
The universe has a cause.
From the conclusion of the initial syllogism, a further premise and conclusion based upon ontological analysis of the properties of the cause:

The universe has a cause.
If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful;
Therefore:
An uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful.

-----

Atheism is mathematically impossible.

Without God we get a regress in infinite causality. Meaning, we must accept infinite history, which is synonymous with the logic of saying everyone has a mother, but there is no first mother. We have history, but no first history. We have events, but no first event. We have intelligent beings but no first intelligent beings. We must accept that there is no beginning. There is no end. There are infinite you's, me's, and everyone else. There always has been a you. You were, you are, and you will be again, and infinitely into the past and into the future. There was no first you and no last you. There is no first or last anything. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Neither? This is paradoxial, illogical, unacceptable comprehensively, and 100% impossible mathematically.

----

Atheism is scientifically impossible.

The fact that anything exists or came from anything at all suggests someone beyond physics, mathematics, and philosophy must exist. Otherwise we must accept paradoxes that are beyond mythological in nature from around the board.

The universe/reality is finite or infinite. The door is open or shut. There is no in between. If the universe/reality is finite we must accept that the universe/reality exists literally inside of nothing. This is the equivalent of believing a basketball is sitting there inside of nothing. The entire concept is a logical fallacy. We must always ask,"But what is outside of the ball?" To say,"nothing" creates a full, 100% paradox. The point? For something to exist inside of nothing is completely uncomprehendable and illogical in a finite reality.

If the universe is infinite, we create a number (beyond measure) of paradoxes. In a carnal, physical world, the idea of an infinite "thing" is inconceivable. There are no " infinite things. No physical thing goes on forever. In our reality everything has a beginning. Everything has an end.

Even if we blindly forsake logic, physics, and mathemstics, and declare the universe/reality is infinite, we create many paradoxes including parallel realities, infinite you's, me's, infinite everythings. Everything that has happened has happened before and has never not been happening. We create a regress in infinite everything. Everything exists, and not only does it exist, infinite everythings exist infinitely.

--

How does this apply to the concept of God?

In a paradoxial finite universe/reality, we must ask who/what is outside of the universe/reality. If it is finite, logically something must exist outside of it. But for this to be true, we cause a regress of "infinite what's outside of thats?"

This concludes that the universe/reality must be infinite. If it is, all things exist. In infinite space and time, in theory, beings greater than us came to be, then greater than them, and greater than them, and even greater and greater infinitely. At some point we reach a singularity in which beings/a being of omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent consciousness and being "is". A singularity occurs at some point that puts forth a "master of reality as we know it. And in infinite space and time, this conscious being has always existed and cannot ever not exist within an eternal reality.

We can accept an omnipotent being through darwinian means in infinite space and time or we can accept an omnipotent being that "is" beyond physics, time, or our reality all together in the way that a computer programmer exists outside of the constructs of the programs or virtual realities he creates. He is beyond its laws, and is in no way governed, in being, by his creation's rules.

We cannot conceptualize the idea of an infinite "thing". Or can we?

There is only one way known to man to project an infinite reality without causing a paradox. A loop with the construct of a program.

Example: This game's world could go on infinitely.

http://youtu.be...

What is a program loop?

http://whatis.techtarget.com...

Program loops not only suggest design but demand a designer.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 10:32:46 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Look up the kalam argument and firmi paradox.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:10:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Not everything in the Bible is literal. In the story of Adam and Eve, "serpent" is always represtative of someone evil. Adam literally means "man" in Hebrew. There is a tree of life in the "garden". We know through later reading that Christ is this "tree". He himself fefers to people as good trees and bad trees and to himself as a vine.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 11:59:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy.
The question isn't simply one of God's existence, FireWings, but tradition changing the god held to exist. A god can only be understood by what it does, and about the only thing Abrahamic faiths agree on is that the god they refer to created the universe. When, how and why it did so is contested, along with what it wants from humanity, whom it favours and why, how it will act if pleased or displeased, and what plans (if any) it has in mind for our species and the universe we live in.

Moreover, individual sects change their ideas wildly over time.

Since all these conflicted ideas -- and tens of thousands of sects -- ultimately owe their authority to the same 80,000 or so words in the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible, one can only conclude that either it's outright wrong, or that people of Abrahamic faith are broadly incompetent at reading it.

So to the extent that you'd only rationally entertain an Abrahamic faith if you felt it would help you reliably validate these ancient scriptures from which most Abrahamic authority derives, there's plenty of sociological evidence that they can't.

So, no, it's not just you. :p
bamiller43
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:00:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 10:23:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Okay, so let's correct a few things. You said that Muhammad was basically a false prophet yes? I do not disagree, but how can you prove that Jesus was not a false prophet himself? You cannot. In fact, i can prove, using your own scripture, that he was.
Deuteronomy 19:15 states: One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Jesus, at his death, was tried for heresy, more or less. Who could his witnesses be to state that he was not a heretic, and that he was who he said he was? No one. His disciples were too busy running from persecution to stand up for him, and they would not even be valid witnesses of his deity. The only person who could validate that Jesus was not a liar, would have to be someone who had heard from God at the same time as Jesus, and could say that his teachings were true. No one of that nature existed. Jesus was the only person who claimed to have a direct line to the father's will like that. The disciples only regurgitated his message, they did not hear from God on anything he said. And i've not found a verse where God said to the Jewish court that Jesus was his son.

Atheism is philosophically impossible:

The Kalam cosmological argument states:
Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore:
The universe has a cause.
From the conclusion of the initial syllogism, a further premise and conclusion based upon ontological analysis of the properties of the cause:
The universe has a cause.
If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful;
Therefore:
An uncaused, personal Creator of the universe exists, who sans the universe is beginningless, changeless, immaterial, timeless, spaceless and enormously powerful.

Although i am not an atheist, i assure you your logic is flawed. It assumes that the universe began. What if it did not? What if it has always existed, and always will? There would be no need for a creator in that instance as nothing would need to be created or begun. In fact, in order for cause and effect to be real, time would have to exist. and it does not. Time is an abstraction, created by people to give a sense of order to daily life, as well as the sciences. Time is not a physical construct, but and idea. As are cause and effect. Merely ideas made by man to help make sense of the world around him. Without cause and effect, there is no beginning and no end. Also, regarding your general argument, if atheism is impossible, why are there atheists? If it were truly impossible, atheism would not exist.

Atheism is mathematically impossible.

Without God we get a regress in infinite causality. Meaning, we must accept infinite history, which is synonymous with the logic of saying everyone has a mother, but there is no first mother. We have history, but no first history. We have events, but no first event. We have intelligent beings but no first intelligent beings. We must accept that there is no beginning. There is no end. There are infinite you's, me's, and everyone else. There always has been a you. You were, you are, and you will be again, and infinitely into the past and into the future. There was no first you and no last you. There is no first or last anything. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Neither? This is paradoxial, illogical, unacceptable comprehensively, and 100% impossible mathematically.

Actually these ideas are practically the basis for Buddhism and Hinduism, the latter being a monistic faith. I have always existed. Not in the form i am now though. In the form of the supreme being Brahman, from which all life came. he who is eternal, even as the universe is eternal, always being destroyed and rebuilt and changed. As finite beings, of course it is impossible for us to comprehend the infinite. We weren't made to do it. If we truly could comprehend the infinite, it would literally take us our entire lives, and even then it's impossible. (think about counting to infinity. It can be done ... over an infinite time span, which we do not have).

Atheism is scientifically impossible.

The fact that anything exists or came from anything at all suggests someone beyond physics, mathematics, and philosophy must exist. Otherwise we must accept paradoxes that are beyond mythological in nature from around the board.
The universe/reality is finite or infinite. The door is open or shut. There is no in between. If the universe/reality is finite we must accept that the universe/reality exists literally inside of nothing. This is the equivalent of believing a basketball is sitting there inside of nothing. The entire concept is a logical fallacy. We must always ask,"But what is outside of the ball?" To say,"nothing" creates a full, 100% paradox. The point? For something to exist inside of nothing is completely uncomprehendable and illogical in a finite reality.
If the universe is infinite, we create a number (beyond measure) of paradoxes. In a carnal, physical world, the idea of an infinite thing is inconceivable. There are no infinite things. No physical thing goes on forever. In our reality everything has a beginning. Everything has an end.

Tell me where the water cycle ends? it's a circle. Tell me where the earth ends. It does not. You are also stating that at some point matter had to be created, if there is a beginning to the universe, and must therefore be destroyed. Your argument is scientifically impossible.

Even if we blindly forsake logic, physics, and mathemstics, and declare the universe/reality is infinite, we create many paradoxes including parallel realities, infinite you's, me's, infinite everythings. Everything that has happened has happened before and has never not been happening. We create a regress in infinite everything. Everything exists, and not only does it exist, infinite everythings exist infinitely.

This makes no sense. Matter, by definition of the law of conservation, is infinite. So is energy.

How does this apply to the concept of God?

In a paradoxial finite universe/reality, we must ask who/what is outside of the universe/reality. If it is finite, logically something must exist outside of it. But for this to be true, we cause a regress of "infinite what's outside of thats?"
This concludes that the universe/reality must be infinite. If it is, all things exist. In infinite space and time, in theory, beings greater than us came to be, then greater than them, and greater than them, and even greater and greater infinitely. At some point we reach a singularity in which beings/a being of omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent consciousness and being "is". A singularity occurs at some point that puts forth a "master of reality as we know it. And in infinite space and time, this conscious being has always existed and cannot ever not exist within an eternal reality.
We can accept an omnipotent being through darwinian means in infinite space and time or we can accept an omnipotent being that "is" beyond physics, time, or our reality all together in the way that a computer programmer exists outside of the constructs of the programs or virtual realities he creates. He is beyond its laws, and is in no way governed, in being, by his creation's rules.
We cannot conceptualize the idea of an infinite thing. Or can we?
There is only one way known to man to project an infinite reality without causing a paradox. A loop with the construct of a program.

You're trying to prove atheism impossible by proving infinity impossible. But I feel that i have shown infinity to be possible, thereby flawing your argument. Sorry for edits. No room.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:03:52 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 10:32:46 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Look up the kalam argument

Is God the only object accommodated by the set of things that do not begin to exist?
Does the logic of Kalam apply only to temporal antecedents in the real world?
Is the universe (cosmos) a member of itself?

and firmi paradox.

Type 3 civilizations are watching as we progress to Type 2.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:22:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 12:03:52 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/21/2016 10:32:46 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Look up the kalam argument

Is God the only object accommodated by the set of things that do not begin to exist?
Does the logic of Kalam apply only to temporal antecedents in the real world?
Is the universe (cosmos) a member of itself?

and firmi paradox.

Type 3 civilizations are watching as we progress to Type 2.

Funny. We're not even type 1 yet.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:24:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Type 1, type 2, and type 3 civilizations

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:48:49 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 12:03:52 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 3/21/2016 10:32:46 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Look up the kalam argument

Is God the only object accommodated by the set of things that do not begin to exist?
Does the logic of Kalam apply only to temporal antecedents in the real world?
Is the universe (cosmos) a member of itself?

and firmi paradox.

Type 3 civilizations are watching as we progress to Type 2.

If the universe/reality is uncaused, infinite in space and time, it has no singularity. It causes a regress of infinite causality within itself. There are infinite you's, me's, histories. There are infinite events, but no first event. There are intelligent beings, but no first intelligent beings. There are mothers, but no first mother. There is everything theoretically by some sort of darwinian means. An intelligent person "evolved", then greater, then greater than him, then somewhere greater than him, until within infinity you begat through darwinian means, beings beyond comprehension, even to the point of the master of our reality. But since infinity has no first anything, this being has never not existed.

This is one reason why we need an outside variable.

The second reason we need an outside variable is because infinite space is mythological. In our reality everything has a beginning and an end. If reality is finite, we have to explain how you have an expanding something or any something within nothing. It's a philosophical and logical fallacy. Reality has no choice but to be infinite or nothing can even exist. Either way causes a paradox of infinite everything. Thus, in order to satisfy the paradox, we must have an uncaused variable from beyond our reality, beyond space, time, biology, physics, etc as we know them.

Without a singularity, the first begating entity we cannot have anything else, nor can we even exist. And...if this reality is infinite the only way this is possible is through some coded programmable means such as within the construct of a program loop which scrambles, repeats, and spits out data once a certain requirement of movement within this construct is met. This is why we have some video games advertised by "never play the same game twice. And programs and codes do not culminate magically, and randomly from nowhere. It would be the same as flipping a coin 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times and always coming up heads and even then you would not get a recognizable, readable, and computable code with matching coder, hard drive, and medium. Without a designer we are not real, 100% simulated, 100% unconscious. But we are conscious. Thus, we know with certainty that our reality and we do have an intelligent designer from beyond our reality in the same way a programmer exists outside of his created video game, beyond its rules, beyond its reality, beyond its comprehension.

Where does God come from? It doesn't matter. We have satisfied the first singularity cause. We can not assess what being caused, what time is, how laws govern(if at all outside the scope of our reality). Seeing we are not from outside of this reality, we cannot speculate, know, or comprehend the laws of causality from beyond our own reality. We can judge everything, including laws, time, and theuniverse itself by these laws because they are all from and contained within this reality. These common sense laws do not apply beyond our reality to a god or creator. So in this equation, we need no answer for the cause of the first singularity cause because beyond our reality we do not know that any such concept or laws exist at all.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 8:51:35 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Hello, Fire_Wings

It seems as though there are several questions being asked, so I will try to address as many as I can without seeming as though I am rambling senselessly.

God made earth in 6, 24-hour earth days: While this is not an essential belief to have as a Christian, some have opted for it. The foundational principle would be that God created the universe with the appearance of age, because the forces acting throughout the universe are so vastly complex that He simply created it all as-is. Much in the same way that you could create a pair of faded jeans that look several years old, but in actuality are brand new.

God flooded the earth: While it is necessary to believe that the flood took place, the details of such are rather confusing... Ancient Hebrew is a tricky language, much in the same way that the English language can sometimes be frustrating. The word used in Hebrew is "Ha-Eretz", which means "the earth" or "the land". Now, the vast majority of uses (in the upper 90%) in the Old Testament for Ha-Eretz describes the land that God promised Abraham: Israel/Canaan. So it could be translated as a global flood, or simply a flood of that region of the world. Either are acceptable, neither are heretical in their current forms.

God exists: Another essential belief for Christians, this one is the most difficult to tackle, as we are bound to time and space, while God (the Father) resides beyond those limitations. The Atheist must prove a logical contradiction in God's nature or the biblical story, while the Christian must prove that it is more likely that God exists than the opposite. Both of these are immeasurably difficult, which is why the debate lives on today.

Atheists have tried and failed, as of today, to establish firm incontrovertible contradictions in God's character or the biblical story**, and Christians have failed to establish firm incontrovertible evidence that God's existence is more likely than the opposite.

I certainly hope that I have answered your questions in a way that would not immediately contradict all the ways of science, and would love to answer any more you might have. Be warned, my knowledge is not infinite, and there are many things I cannot answer.

** The biblical story reflects God's character/nature, so these two are entwined. The struggles for atheists in this area are that they rely on the same tools as layman Christians: The English translations of the text. There is no Atheism or Anti-Christian degree, which makes it rare to find a prominent atheist who even understands the language they're critiquing. They rely primarily on English first-glance readings, which are hopelessly misguided. Hence their overall inability thus far to make an impact. Time will tell if the arguments shift towards ancient languages.
tarantula
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 9:25:46 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

The creation story makes no sense, nor does anything attributed to the deity. The documents making up the Bible appear to be fairy stories by very human authors.
Jerry947
Posts: 777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:25:51 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

How do you think the universe was made?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:41:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Why? Here's why below.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:44:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Believe in science? Will you believe in science once it starts pointing to Creationism? Let's check it out.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:45:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
James Gates, Science Advisor to the President of the United States-

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:52:29 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

(Matthew 7:7)
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:15:01 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 3/21/2016 9:18:29 PM, janesix wrote:
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!
I believe in god and science. They are not mutually exclusive.

That depends on what you mean by 'God'.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:26:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

What makes you think I don't believe in science?

In fact I do, but I do not put faith in those who operate and often think it can do more than it can.

What is a day?

Are you so limited as to think the word only has one meaning?
It can mean

1: 24 hours.

2: A period of daylight, which on the earth can be anything from a few hours, to approximately 6 months.

3: It can even be an unspecified, but definite period of time, as in my father's day". This can be anything from days to millennia, and in the case of Genesis 1 simple logic says that it means untold thousands possibly even millions of years.

In fact nothing in Genesis even tells us whether each "day" is of the same length.

The reality is that despite the fact that Genesis 1 gives us very few details, it can actually be shown to agree entirely with what science can also clearly demonstrate, though admittedly not with some of its "best guesses".

Can you tell me any account, other than science and Genesis 1 which actually describes an earth with only one continent?

Not only that a continent which in time splits into a number of pieces?

That is what Genesis also describes, though the splitting is mentioned until Genesis 10:25-26.

What makes the flood impossible, apart from your inability to understand how it can be possible?

The water came from the layer of water placed above the expanse in Genesis 1, and the geological layers of the earth tilted to bring land back above the water, there are many places on earth where such tilting can be seen, in some of them tilting by almost 90%., and in fact the tectonic plates are still tilting, albeit now very slowly, as one plate subducts under another. For instance Everest is currently "growing" by about 4mm a year.

In fact the global flood could be said to explain things that science cannot.

As to believing that God actually exists, there is a great deal of evidence to suggest just that, much of it coming from the world of science, though they try not to admit it. However it does have to be admitted that such evidence is generally circumstantial.
However people have been executed on flimsier evidence.
Rami
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:33:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 3/21/2016 8:26:11 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Really. I don't think it is just me, but I think this is crazy. God made earth in 6 days? Floods the earth? Believe in Science!

Why not believe in G-d? (Trust me, I have this well thought out.)
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:40:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:27:47 PM, tarantula wrote:
There is NO verifiable evidence to prove god exists.

What you mean is that there is on verifiable evidence that you wish to accept.

However it is there, and verifiable if you would only admit it.

Living in denial must be very comfortable, so few wish to leave it.