Total Posts:114|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christians who are sick should prey instead.

AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Fly
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 4:45:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I think your title has a Freudian slip in it...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
missmedic
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 5:12:13 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

I prayed for my team to win the super bowl and they did, so prayer works.............
Fly
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 5:16:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 5:12:13 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

I prayed for my team to win the super bowl and they did, so prayer works.............

Praise The Lord! But wait... what about all the people who must have prayed for the opposing team? How sad for them to come to the crushing realization that they were not praying according to God's will...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
missmedic
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 5:20:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 5:16:27 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:12:13 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

I prayed for my team to win the super bowl and they did, so prayer works.............

Praise The Lord! But wait... what about all the people who must have prayed for the opposing team? How sad for them to come to the crushing realization that they were not praying according to God's will...

You have to promise god half your winning or it won't work. You need to realise that sometimes god is to busy killing little boys and girls with car accidents and cancer to answer all our prayers....................
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 7:44:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 5:20:34 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:16:27 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:12:13 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

I prayed for my team to win the super bowl and they did, so prayer works.............

Praise The Lord! But wait... what about all the people who must have prayed for the opposing team? How sad for them to come to the crushing realization that they were not praying according to God's will...

You have to promise god half your winning or it won't work. You need to realise that sometimes god is to busy killing little boys and girls with car accidents and cancer to answer all our prayers....................

Your Father Satan is the god of this world. He roams with the intent to steal lie and kill. This is not a The Devil did it, because there are a lot of people doing as their Father on Earth wills it to be done
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 7:56:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
James 5:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

To be fair, it doesn't say anything about doctors - and such physicians as existed at the time could probably not have done anything much more effective than the priest. Until quite recently, the causes of disease were mysterious - and it's in that context this passage was written. To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.
nonwo
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:57:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now. : :

"should prey when their sick" ( should pray when they're sick )

"It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway"
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 1:12:28 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Prey or pray?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:23:34 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 7:44:17 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:20:34 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:16:27 PM, Fly wrote:
At 3/22/2016 5:12:13 PM, missmedic wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

I prayed for my team to win the super bowl and they did, so prayer works.............

Praise The Lord! But wait... what about all the people who must have prayed for the opposing team? How sad for them to come to the crushing realization that they were not praying according to God's will...

You have to promise god half your winning or it won't work. You need to realise that sometimes god is to busy killing little boys and girls with car accidents and cancer to answer all our prayers....................

Your Father Satan is the god of this world. He roams with the intent to steal lie and kill. This is not a The Devil did it, because there are a lot of people doing as their Father on Earth wills it to be done

Ok then....
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:25:16 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.

Titus and Timothy showed your actually DIS-obeying God, which I pointed out but you conveniently ignored, so God is angry with you now.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 7:56:02 PM, autocorrect wrote:
James 5:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

To be fair, it doesn't say anything about doctors - and such physicians as existed at the time could probably not have done anything much more effective than the priest. Until quite recently, the causes of disease were mysterious - and it's in that context this passage was written. To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying.

Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:28:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 12:57:11 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now. : :

"should prey when their sick" ( should pray when they're sick )

"It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway"

Last time I checked, everyone misspells something at some point in their life, so I don't think it should a factor of stupidity. Anyway, my spelling mistake has been noted (I wish they had an editing feature on this site...dang...)
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:29:06 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 1:12:28 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Prey or pray?

Pray XD
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:30:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.

NOW F*CK OFF PLEASE!
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
nonwo
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:59:43 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 5:28:40 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 12:57:11 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now. : :

"should prey when their sick" ( should pray when they're sick )

"It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway"

Last time I checked, everyone misspells something at some point in their life, so I don't think it should a factor of stupidity. Anyway, my spelling mistake has been noted (I wish they had an editing feature on this site...dang...) ::

I'm only humoring you. I'm always struggling with "their", "there" and "they're" but I don't think I've ever preyed to God.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 6:11:23 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
We already know there are NO genuine jebus' believers (1 John 3:6)

As far as these jebus' pretenders suggesting the sick should ' pray ' for healing or suggest going to a Doctor for treatment, in typical bible Story book & religious BS fashion this is contradicted by e.g. -

Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will keep it. (Luke 17:33) KJV Story book

So were there ever a genuine jebus' believer to step forward outside of bible Story book land, them seeking or suggesting healing by prayer & or Doctors, is strictly forbidden!
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 7:56:02 PM, autocorrect wrote:
James 5:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

To be fair, it doesn't say anything about doctors - and such physicians as existed at the time could probably not have done anything much more effective than the priest. Until quite recently, the causes of disease were mysterious - and it's in that context this passage was written. To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying.

Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.

I think that between my interpretation and yours, yours is the one that's 'utterly stupid.'

In your OP you wrote:

'According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.'

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

Then you wrote:

'So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?'

Easy. Your deliberate misinterpretation of the passage... where you added 'and not a doctor.'

I put this to you and you reply by saying: :

'Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.'

No. It's you that misinterpreted the passage by adding '...and not a doctor.' It doesn't say that. Does it?
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 10:25:21 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 7:56:02 PM, autocorrect wrote:
James 5:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

To be fair, it doesn't say anything about doctors - and such physicians as existed at the time could probably not have done anything much more effective than the priest. Until quite recently, the causes of disease were mysterious - and it's in that context this passage was written. To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying.

Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.

I think that between my interpretation and yours, yours is the one that's 'utterly stupid.'

No it isn't. Sick means sick. I don't see how you could interpret it as "priests offering comfort to the dying". It doesn't even hint toward what your saying. Thus, your interpretation is stupid. It's clearly saying to bring sick people to the priests for them to pray for him to get better. In fact, it says they WILL get better in verse 15.

In your OP you wrote:

'According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.'

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the scripture says for you to go to a priest to get prayed for and thus get healed, rather than going to a doctor, not that the scripture prohibited going to a doctor. I guess my language was a bit sloppy but oh well.

Then you wrote:

'So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?'

Easy. Your deliberate misinterpretation of the passage... where you added 'and not a doctor.'

That wasn't what I meant, but apologies for my sloppy language.

I put this to you and you reply by saying: :

'Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.'

I said that in answer to the last part of your response "To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying."

No. It's you that misinterpreted the passage by adding '...and not a doctor.' It doesn't say that. Does it?

No, but again, that's not what I meant.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 10:28:03 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 5:59:43 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:28:40 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 12:57:11 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now. : :

"should prey when their sick" ( should pray when they're sick )

"It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway"

Last time I checked, everyone misspells something at some point in their life, so I don't think it should a factor of stupidity. Anyway, my spelling mistake has been noted (I wish they had an editing feature on this site...dang...) ::

I'm only humoring you. I'm always struggling with "their", "there" and "they're" but I don't think I've ever preyed to God.

I'm hunting wabb...erm...GODS!
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 10:29:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 7:56:02 PM, autocorrect wrote:
James 5:14English Standard Version (ESV)

14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

To be fair, it doesn't say anything about doctors - and such physicians as existed at the time could probably not have done anything much more effective than the priest. Until quite recently, the causes of disease were mysterious - and it's in that context this passage was written. To me, it seems to be saying that it's the priests duty to offer what comfort they can to the dying.

Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.

I think that between my interpretation and yours, yours is the one that's 'utterly stupid.'

In your OP you wrote:

'According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.'

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

Then you wrote:

'So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?'

Easy. Your deliberate misinterpretation of the passage... where you added 'and not a doctor.'

I put this to you and you reply by saying: :

'Of course it would be, lets reinterpret it so it doesn't sound so utterly stupid in the modern era.'


No. It's you that misinterpreted the passage by adding '...and not a doctor.' It doesn't say that. Does it?

Oh, BTW, F U AUTOCORRECT
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 11:18:45 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 5:30:20 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.

NOW F*CK OFF PLEASE!

Nope.

What you so afraid of?
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:05:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 10:29:08 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Oh, BTW, F U AUTOCORRECT

That was worth saying, you f*king moron.
But let's get back to the point. In the passage you cited, but failed to quote - does it say '...and not a doctor'? You claim it does.

At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.

Here is the passage:
James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Could you point out where it says '...and not a doctor.'

You added that, interpreting the passage to have a meaning that was more suited to ridicule. So, you are ridiculing yourself. Is that not so?

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the scripture says for you to go to a priest to get prayed for and thus get healed, rather than going to a doctor, not that the scripture prohibited going to a doctor. I guess my language was a bit sloppy but oh well.

No. You could have copied the text of James 5:14 - but you didn't. You wrote about it, saying what it contains and what it means. You said it contains, and means that the sick should be taken to a priest and not a doctor. Point out where it says '...and not a doctor.' It's that simple.

It doesn't say that, does it?
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:48:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 2:05:40 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 10:29:08 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Oh, BTW, F U AUTOCORRECT

That was worth saying, you f*king moron.

Oh...I see you didn't get the reference....it's actually a internet gag where the autocorrect on an iPhone changes words into other more embarrassing things (Google "f u autocorrect" to see what I mean).

But let's get back to the point. In the passage you cited, but failed to quote - does it say '...and not a doctor'? You claim it does.


No I didn't, or at least wasn't trying to anyway.

At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.

Here is the passage:
James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Could you point out where it says '...and not a doctor.'

You added that, interpreting the passage to have a meaning that was more suited to ridicule. So, you are ridiculing yourself. Is that not so?

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the scripture says for you to go to a priest to get prayed for and thus get healed, rather than going to a doctor, not that the scripture prohibited going to a doctor. I guess my language was a bit sloppy but oh well.

No. You could have copied the text of James 5:14 - but you didn't.

I know I could have, and probably should have to get my message across more clearly.

You wrote about it, saying what it contains and what it means. You said it contains, and means that the sick should be taken to a priest and not a doctor. Point out where it says '...and not a doctor.' It's that simple.

Once again, you misunderstand. I was trying to say that the text wants you to go to a preist rather than a doctor. When I said "want you to go to a preist", I am directly referring to the text. When I said "rather than a doctor", that was my own comment. Unfortunately I blended the two seperate thoughts into the one sentence, hence your misunderstanding of what I meant to say.

It doesn't say that, does it?

No it doesn't, but I wasn't trying to make that point, so that's basically irrelevant,
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:53:06 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 11:18:45 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:30:20 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.

NOW F*CK OFF PLEASE!

Nope.

What you so afraid of?

You hijacking and destroying the purpose of this thread, because your a twat and do it all the time in the name of Jova and Jebus.

Once again, your breaking clear rules in Titus 3:9 and Timothy 2:14, and I've clearly told you I don't care and I'm not interested in what you have to say, but you still hang around like an old fart because you can't help yourself but have the last say, which is not only f*cking annoying, but also highly inconsiderate (about the equivalent of throwing Watchtowers at someone's house like ape-sh*t baboons after being rejected).
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 4:22:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 3:53:06 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 11:18:45 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:30:20 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/22/2016 11:13:31 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

That was back in the days of the Apostles when the gift of healing was still active. However as Paul said, all such gifts were soon to pass away.

Therefore doctors are all we have.

And don't forget that Luke was a physician.


Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now.

Sorry, this is a public forum, and I have to obey God rather than man. Especially such a foul mouthed one as you.

Still I guess you can't stand the heat since you know deep inside how wrong you are, maybe you should swallow your excessive pride and repent.

You have nothing to fear from me but the exposure of your lies, and your treachery.

NOW F*CK OFF PLEASE!

Nope.

What you so afraid of?

You hijacking and destroying the purpose of this thread, because your a twat and do it all the time in the name of Jova and Jebus.

You are welcome t your opinion.


Once again, your breaking clear rules in Titus 3:9 and Timothy 2:14, and I've clearly told you I don't care and I'm not interested in what you have to say, but you still hang around like an old fart because you can't help yourself but have the last say, which is not only f*cking annoying, but also highly inconsiderate (about the equivalent of throwing Watchtowers at someone's house like ape-sh*t baboons after being rejected).

Titus 3:9
9 But have nothing to do with foolish arguments and genealogies and disputes and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.

2 Timothy 2:14
14 Keep reminding them of these things, instructing them before God not to fight about words, something of no usefulness at all because it harms those listening.

If you were the sole beneficiary of the truths I teach you would have a point, but I know only too well that others read what is posted on here also and so exposing you for the liar and traitor that you are serves a useful purpose.

Certainly your arguments are, as you have no admitted by referring to those verses foolish in the extreme.

However I have had proof in teh past that my calm and straightforward replies to you may have precisely the same effect they did once before, when I came across someone like you when out in the ministry, and my calm replies to her impressed a friend of hers sufficiently for her to approach one of the Pioneers and request a Bible Study.
Those who appreciate spiritual things also appreciate the Fruits of the spirit when they see them, and especially when they see them in contrast to the fruits of the flesh you demonstrate on here. Galatians 5:19-24
19 Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, 20 idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God"s Kingdom.
22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed to the stake the flesh together with its passions and desires.

If nothing else the offensive expletives show that you display the fruits of the flesh, though there are also other instances of such Satanic fruits in your posts.
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 4:23:16 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 3:48:30 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 2:05:40 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 10:29:08 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 9:14:20 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:26:32 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
Oh, BTW, F U AUTOCORRECT

That was worth saying, you f*king moron.

Oh...I see you didn't get the reference....it's actually a internet gag where the autocorrect on an iPhone changes words into other more embarrassing things (Google "f u autocorrect" to see what I mean).

But let's get back to the point. In the passage you cited, but failed to quote - does it say '...and not a doctor'? You claim it does.


No I didn't, or at least wasn't trying to anyway.

At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor.

Here is the passage:
James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Could you point out where it says '...and not a doctor.'

You added that, interpreting the passage to have a meaning that was more suited to ridicule. So, you are ridiculing yourself. Is that not so?

That's inaccurate. It doesn't say that. It says take the sick to a priest. It doesn't say 'do not take the sick to a doctor.' Does it?

I think your misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the scripture says for you to go to a priest to get prayed for and thus get healed, rather than going to a doctor, not that the scripture prohibited going to a doctor. I guess my language was a bit sloppy but oh well.

No. You could have copied the text of James 5:14 - but you didn't.

I know I could have, and probably should have to get my message across more clearly.

You wrote about it, saying what it contains and what it means. You said it contains, and means that the sick should be taken to a priest and not a doctor. Point out where it says '...and not a doctor.' It's that simple.

Once again, you misunderstand. I was trying to say that the text wants you to go to a preist rather than a doctor. When I said "want you to go to a preist", I am directly referring to the text. When I said "rather than a doctor", that was my own comment. Unfortunately I blended the two seperate thoughts into the one sentence, hence your misunderstanding of what I meant to say.

It doesn't say that, does it?

No it doesn't, but I wasn't trying to make that point, so that's basically irrelevant,

Fine. So you added '...and not a doctor' to a passage from the Bible and criticized the result. Bravo! Why not do Genesis next: And God said 'Let there be light... and a big mac and fries!'

Oh no, that was a separate thought ...hence your misunderstanding!
My misunderstanding indeed!

For me, in the modern scientific age, religions have such serious drawbacks, their virtues are eclipsed. But those virtues remain, nonetheless - not least the attention paid to the sick, the homeless, the poor, prisoners, the dying. There are valid reasons to criticize religion - both in it's political effects, and it's effects upon respect for scientific knowledge. But your criticism, even if it were valid - is neither of these. It just attacks the excuse provided by scripture, for good people to do good. Why?
nonwo
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:03:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/23/2016 10:28:03 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:59:43 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:28:40 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:
At 3/23/2016 12:57:11 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/22/2016 4:44:33 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
According to James 5:14, if your sick, you must be taken to the church elders (or priests I guess) to be cured through prayer, and not a doctor. I guess this puts a whole new perspective on Lawrence Krauss's "shall I pray for you or do the heimlich manoeuvre when your chocking to death" thing.

Nonetheless, I think Christians should prey when their sick instead of using modern medicine. It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway.

So what semantical "oh but this doesn't really apply" argument have you defensive Christians got for the above scripture today?

[NOTE]

FU MadCornishBiker. If your reading this, piss off now. : :

"should prey when their sick" ( should pray when they're sick )

"It will certainly thin out the stupid people anyway"

Last time I checked, everyone misspells something at some point in their life, so I don't think it should a factor of stupidity. Anyway, my spelling mistake has been noted (I wish they had an editing feature on this site...dang...) ::

I'm only humoring you. I'm always struggling with "their", "there" and "they're" but I don't think I've ever preyed to God.

I'm hunting wabb...erm...GODS! : :

You're not the only one hunting for him.