Jump to topic:

Genesis 1:1-2

bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 8:51:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Iv come to see that I think most people creationists alike dont really understand the opening script to genesis and the creation. We are told God created the heavens and the Earth. Then we are told the earth was without void...the bible in other places makes reference to God creating the earth and life on it with existing materials. What do you guys think? I find that everything was already here and the genesis account is only about the creation of the earth as we know it but that before Genesis the earth was here in some unrecognizeable form.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 8:55:27 PM
At 3/22/2016 8:51:57 PM, bigotry wrote:
Iv come to see that I think most people creationists alike dont really understand the opening script to genesis and the creation. We are told God created the heavens and the Earth. Then we are told the earth was without void...the bible in other places makes reference to God creating the earth and life on it with existing materials. What do you guys think? I find that everything was already here and the genesis account is only about the creation of the earth as we know it but that before Genesis the earth was here in some unrecognizeable form.

Seems as good a way as any other to avoid some of the contradictions in the bible.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 9:11:23 PM
At 3/22/2016 8:55:27 PM, desmac wrote:

Seems as good a way as any other to avoid some of the contradictions in the bible.

How so?
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 9:17:33 PM
God copied Earth from my home planet. It's a knock-off! My planet is almost exactly the same ...except for Cheesy Wotsits. We don't have those!
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 9:55:26 PM
At 3/22/2016 9:17:33 PM, autocorrect wrote:
God copied Earth from my home planet. It's a knock-off! My planet is almost exactly the same ...except for Cheesy Wotsits. We don't have those!
such scholarship
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:45:32 PM

http://retractionwatch.com...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:45:54 PM
At 3/22/2016 9:55:26 PM, bigotry wrote:
such scholarship

dont mock him
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:52:16 PM

I assume that by "in other places" you men Genesis 2. would I be right?

Genesis 2 is not a creation account, it is the account of Jehovah introducing Adam to what he was to care for.

Genesis 1:1 is simply a bald statement that God created the heavens and the earth.

From verse 2 onward, the account changes, and as you rightly point out it is an account of the earth being prepared for life in six stages of definite but unspecified length. Each stage marking a definite step towards what was to be seen before the flood, and before the single continent which science calls Pangea split, the last being described at Genesis 10:25-26.

It is evident from what is said that it is written as if by an observer on the earth.

Yes it says the earth is formless and waste, because verse 2 onwards is the description of it being given form, and being turned from a lifeless ball into a planet supporting life of all sorts.

Strictly speaking, Genesis 2 is a completely separate account from Genesis 1, which stands alone as the account of creation.

The trouble is that few people read it properly, they read it looking for excuses not to believe or accept it, even those who claim, falsely, to be Christian.

Christ believed in the creation account. Why would he not, he was there, in fact, as Colossians 1:13-16 tells us his father used him to create everything through him.

Since Christ believes it and taught it, any who are truly Christian will also teach it and believe it, or they have no right to call themselves followers of Christ, which is what the name Christian implies.

"Christian" isn't just a label, it is a specific way of life, it is a fixed set of beliefs, neither of which has changed since creation, or to be more precise since Jehovah was forced to form a plan to bring humanity back to what Adam threw away, which is put forward in a very broad brush stroke towards the end of Genesis 3.

Genesis 1 actually does fit in with scientific knowledge only recently gained, though it has to be admitted there is a great deal it doesn't bother to tell us, it is just a simple, basic, description of the creation and then the formation and population of the earth with life.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:54:03 PM

Lol, not a very accurate screen name because you are far from correct.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 11:10:08 PM
At 3/22/2016 10:45:54 PM, Hayd wrote:
such scholarship

dont mock him

He made a mockery of himself
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 11:13:52 PM
At 3/22/2016 11:10:08 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 3/22/2016 10:45:54 PM, Hayd wrote:
such scholarship

dont mock him

He made a mockery of himself

Ok
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 11:27:33 PM
At 3/22/2016 10:52:16 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I assume that by "in other places" you men Genesis 2. would I be right?

No I'm referring to Isaiah 45:18 and exodus 20:11. The earth in verse 2 is in a different state than when it was created. Tohu wa-bohu
Genesis 2 is not a creation account, it is the account of Jehovah introducing Adam to what he was to care for.

I would contend its also about the creation of man in chapter 2. The topic is on the contrast of chapter 1 verse 1 vs verse 2
Genesis 1:1 is simply a bald statement that God created the heavens and the earth.

From verse 2 onward, the account changes, and as you rightly point out it is an account of the earth being prepared for life in six stages of definite but unspecified length. Each stage marking a definite step towards what was to be seen before the flood, and before the single continent which science calls Pangea split, the last being described at Genesis 10:25-26.

It is evident from what is said that it is written as if by an observer on the earth.

Yes it says the earth is formless and waste, because verse 2 onwards is the description of it being given form, and being turned from a lifeless ball into a planet supporting life of all sorts.

Strictly speaking, Genesis 2 is a completely separate account from Genesis 1, which stands alone as the account of creation.

Yea I def agree with all this.
The trouble is that few people read it properly, they read it looking for excuses not to believe or accept it, even those who claim, falsely, to be Christian.

Christ believed in the creation account. Why would he not, he was there, in fact, as Colossians 1:13-16 tells us his father used him to create everything through him.

Since Christ believes it and taught it, any who are truly Christian will also teach it and believe it, or they have no right to call themselves followers of Christ, which is what the name Christian implies.

"Christian" isn't just a label, it is a specific way of life, it is a fixed set of beliefs, neither of which has changed since creation, or to be more precise since Jehovah was forced to form a plan to bring humanity back to what Adam threw away, which is put forward in a very broad brush stroke towards the end of Genesis 3.

Genesis 1 actually does fit in with scientific knowledge only recently gained, though it has to be admitted there is a great deal it doesn't bother to tell us, it is just a simple, basic, description of the creation and then the formation and population of the earth with life.
Well said. It's true we are not given much info we would appreciate now but I do think enough information is given to lead anyone in the correct direction. I just don't think anyone suggesting the universe is 6000 years old is reading scripture properly.
nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:41:52 AM
Iv come to see that I think most people creationists alike dont really understand the opening script to genesis and the creation. We are told God created the heavens and the Earth. Then we are told the earth was without void...the bible in other places makes reference to God creating the earth and life on it with existing materials. What do you guys think? I find that everything was already here and the genesis account is only about the creation of the earth as we know it but that before Genesis the earth was here in some unrecognizeable form. : :

You have to know how God created everything with his voice before you can understand how the earth was created without form and void.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 1:22:15 AM
At 3/23/2016 12:41:52 AM, nonwo wrote:
Iv come to see that I think most people creationists alike dont really understand the opening script to genesis and the creation. We are told God created the heavens and the Earth. Then we are told the earth was without void...the bible in other places makes reference to God creating the earth and life on it with existing materials. What do you guys think? I find that everything was already here and the genesis account is only about the creation of the earth as we know it but that before Genesis the earth was here in some unrecognizeable form. : :

You have to know how God created everything with his voice before you can understand how the earth was created without form and void.

All God created was cheesy wotsits - everything else he copied from us. Without form and void indeed. Without cheesy wotsits more like!
nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 1:32:41 AM
At 3/23/2016 1:22:15 AM, autocorrect wrote:

All God created was cheesy wotsits - everything else he copied from us. Without form and void indeed. Without cheesy wotsits more like! : :

Ignorance is the reason most inhabitants on earth have fear.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 1:46:44 AM
At 3/23/2016 1:32:41 AM, nonwo wrote:

All God created was cheesy wotsits - everything else he copied from us. Without form and void indeed. Without cheesy wotsits more like! : :

Define ignorance.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:58:34 AM

All God created was cheesy wotsits - everything else he copied from us. Without form and void indeed. Without cheesy wotsits more like!

What do you mean by cheesy wotsits? Copied what? Sounds like someone who didn't graduate high school!
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:59:33 AM

Well that's impossible
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:01:39 AM
At 3/22/2016 8:55:27 PM, desmac wrote:

Such as?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:01:46 AM
At 3/23/2016 2:58:34 AM, bigotry wrote:

What do you mean by cheesy wotsits? Copied what? Sounds like someone who didn't graduate high school!

What do 'I' mean by cheesy wotsits? What do you mean, more like!!
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:27:25 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:01:46 AM, autocorrect wrote:

I guess you aren't denying my op. My mistake. Just sounded like nonsense tbh.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:34:43 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:27:25 AM, bigotry wrote:

Of course I'm denying your OP. Your planet is a copy, a knock off, a fake planet - and God calls himself creator! Adds cheesy wotsits and slaps his own label on it. Nerve o' the guy!
nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:39:51 AM
At 3/23/2016 2:59:33 AM, bigotry wrote:

Well that's impossible : :

We have computer programmers who are speaking computer code into voice recognition programs to build computer simulation games today. It's not impossible for our Creator to speak us into existence with technology called the Voice of God.
nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:41:05 AM
At 3/23/2016 1:46:44 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Define ignorance. : :

Lack of knowledge to understand how you were created.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:44:29 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:41:05 AM, nonwo wrote:

Okay, so you're saying that most inhabitants on earth have fear because they do not have the knowledge to understand how they were created. Is that correct?
nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:45:58 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:44:29 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Okay, so you're saying that most inhabitants on earth have fear because they do not have the knowledge to understand how they were created. Is that correct? : :

Yes.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:49:27 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:45:58 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/23/2016 3:44:29 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Okay, so you're saying that most inhabitants on earth have fear because they do not have the knowledge to understand how they were created. Is that correct? : :

Yes.

And by telling them that there's some big magic man in the sky - watching their every thought, word and deed - and will cast them into a lake of fire to burn for all eternity should they not believe he created the earth, you're quelling those fears, are you?
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:55:44 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:34:43 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Of course I'm denying your OP. Your planet is a copy, a knock off, a fake planet - and God calls himself creator! Adds cheesy wotsits and slaps his own label on it. Nerve o' the guy!
Haha I really just have no idea what's going on here...
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:57:08 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:39:51 AM, nonwo wrote:
At 3/23/2016 2:59:33 AM, bigotry wrote:

Well that's impossible : :

We have computer programmers who are speaking computer code into voice recognition programs to build computer simulation games today. It's not impossible for our Creator to speak us into existence with technology called the Voice of God.

No it's entirely possible but it's not technology nor in the realm of any understanding. That's all I'm saying
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 4:01:05 AM
At 3/23/2016 3:55:44 AM, bigotry wrote:
At 3/23/2016 3:34:43 AM, autocorrect wrote:

Haha I really just have no idea what's going on here...

So you're saying you're not involved. I find that very difficult to believe. You and this God guy are like two peas in a pod one minuet, and next it's all 'noffin' to do wiv me guvnor!' Give it a rest Bigotry - you're bang to rights mate!