Jump to topic:

The Bible: A project proposal

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 6:51:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We all know that the Bible is a magnificent piece of literature. Yes, it is historically significant, filled with knowledge, and makes a great paperweight. However, the best thing about the bible is how it applies to almost all time periods. Why? Because it's so freaking long and artfully written that you can interpret Bible quotes any whatsoever way you choose.

This is where the project comes in.

Theists have used random, nonsensical Bible quotes to "prove" things like prophecies fulfilled, random pseudo-scientific explanations for how the Earth was formed, the evil of Disney, natural disasters and tragedies, the end of the world, etc.

I would like to see a proof of something outrageously nonsensical. Just to prove that the "interpretation" power of the Bible can be used in any which way.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 7:28:19 AM
At 11/16/2010 6:51:46 AM, Kleptin wrote:
We all know that the Bible is a magnificent piece of literature. Yes, it is historically significant, filled with knowledge, and makes a great paperweight. However, the best thing about the bible is how it applies to almost all time periods. Why? Because it's so freaking long and artfully written that you can interpret Bible quotes any whatsoever way you choose.

Theists have used random, nonsensical Bible quotes to "prove" things like prophecies fulfilled, random pseudo-scientific explanations for how the Earth was formed, the evil of Disney, natural disasters and tragedies, the end of the world, etc.

I would like to see a proof of something outrageously nonsensical. Just to prove that the "interpretation" power of the Bible can be used in any which way.

Research the Mormon religion, they make a whole new doctrine from a single verse, which serves as a indication of how gullible people can be, here's one that has millions of people researching their family tree with a view of getting them baptised by proxy -
1 Cor 15:29 "Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead"?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 10:52:41 AM
It has nothing to do with the bible being more fit for mistranslation than others books are because its 'wonderfully written'. basically all teachings can be twisted to look like they mean something else because people can easily learn to be skilled rhetoric. Do you think Darwins "THE DESCENT OF MAN" is an amazing artistic piece of literature on the grounds that someone can interpret the teaching of that book to mean we should kill all our crippled people, those born blind, or mute, or with diabetes, or even born a little underweight? Every election season people take the simplest not-very-good-literature of politicians past statements or speeches or blog writings and recently twitter tweets and twist them to look as if the canadite teaches or believes something he does not. Misinformation does not require excellent literary works to be practiced at its best for absolutely any goal one has in mind.

so I propose a different project, we take this book here http://books.google.com... and show some ridiculous teaching from it that the book obviously doesn't represent. by the end of our efforts you might actually be surprised how good the rhetoric comes out that even you are convinced that this book is secretly propaganda for something bad rather than it being a harmless children's book. that's how the 9-11 conspiracies was formed, a school project to simply make up a conspiracy theory, but then the kid that made it up was convinced by his own rhetoric designed to look for something that wasn't there.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 10:56:16 AM
At 11/16/2010 6:51:46 AM, Kleptin wrote:

Amen
I have never done that but I can imagine that this is practiced by others
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 10:56:45 AM
At 11/16/2010 10:52:41 AM, Marauder wrote:
It has nothing to do with the bible being more fit for mistranslation than others books are because its 'wonderfully written'. basically all teachings can be twisted to look like they mean something else because people can easily learn to be skilled rhetoric. Do you think Darwins "THE DESCENT OF MAN" is an amazing artistic piece of literature on the grounds that someone can interpret the teaching of that book to mean we should kill all our crippled people, those born blind, or mute, or with diabetes, or even born a little underweight? Every election season people take the simplest not-very-good-literature of politicians past statements or speeches or blog writings and recently twitter tweets and twist them to look as if the canadite teaches or believes something he does not. Misinformation does not require excellent literary works to be practiced at its best for absolutely any goal one has in mind.

so I propose a different project, we take this book here http://books.google.com... and show some ridiculous teaching from it that the book obviously doesn't represent. by the end of our efforts you might actually be surprised how good the rhetoric comes out that even you are convinced that this book is secretly propaganda for something bad rather than it being a harmless children's book. that's how the 9-11 conspiracies was formed, a school project to simply make up a conspiracy theory, but then the kid that made it up was convinced by his own rhetoric designed to look for something that wasn't there.

Taking this debate as an example http://www.debate.org... I started it knowing good and well it's ridiculous to say Lincoln was a robot, but after my opponents amazing rhetoric twist on historic facts, I am much less certain that Lincoln was not a robot.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 11:19:23 AM
I think Marauder's response was excellent.

People's interpretation of the Bible has absolutely no bearing on its validity or actual meaning.

If you read the Bible, Kelptin, you'd know that the Gospel is it's only real message, and you wouldn't expect there to be evidence for any fantastical claims that it supposedly makes.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2010 11:31:57 AM
for those of you who do not have a copy of 'the monster at the end of this book' to read, you may view its content in this video.

now obviously this book is trying to teach our kinds that they are monster, or worse yet that there hero's are actually monsters. It is teaching them that they are monsters because after all the dread of looking for where the monsters are, the main character discovers that it is actually he, himself, that he was trying to hide from and this feeling of awful discovery that oneself is actually the monster you fear can only be expected to carry over to the reader.

it teaches our hero are in fact monsters because the hero of this books story, Grover who makes a terrible mess of the pages trying to stop you from turning them, is the culprit he spent all his time trying to tell you to not find.

this is the most despicable of all teachings, a teaching that is trying to eradicate all hope by singling out our favorite hero's like the iconic super Grover http://muppet.wikia.com... and slandering them as monsters rather than hero's.
even if Grover is just a Muppet (meaning not real) it does not mean that he is not a real hero to the children who where 'raised on the street' http://www.polyvore.com... as they watched him growing up. It's the ideal of what Grover should be considered to stand for that makes that Jim Hanson Muppet a hero of toddler television programs. I don't think they are any parents who will tell you they don't fell safe allowing there kids to watch Grover on Sesame street but rather they will tell you they feel safe taking there eyes off there kid long enough to get the dishes done while there kid contently watches Super Grover try to bend bars he is not strong enough to bend.

And now after seeing this book we know Jon Stone is out to destroy this good thing, pulling the rug from under our behaving children who were watching to lovable Grover and has them convinced that Grover is actually a monster secretly, and of course all children know monsters are things you are to think of as scary, and unlike teenagers toddlers avoid watching scary stuff and would prefer you to turn off the tv if they think whats on there is scary.

these are tough times, and the last thing we need is to be ruining the image of our children's heroes. I urge you all to do the right thing and protest the further publication of the book 'the monster at the end of this book'. the late Jim Hanson's legacy that he left behind in that blue fuzzball deserves better than that. If for any other reason do it in memory of Mr. Hanson.

A Scout is Obedient.