Jump to topic:

How to create peace between religions?

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:40:45 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
So, like most of you, I have noticed that quite a lot of flame wars, arguing and such happen in this forum (What? No way!), most of this arguing is between people of different faiths.

How do you think peace could be achieved between these groups, so productive discussions can take its place?
Meh!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:44:29 AM
At 3/28/2016 2:40:45 AM, Axonly wrote:
So, like most of you, I have noticed that quite a lot of flame wars, arguing and such happen in this forum (What? No way!), most of this arguing is between people of different faiths.

How do you think peace could be achieved between these groups, so productive discussions can take its place?
Tactical nuclear weapons?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:59:00 AM

Tactical nucleur weapons.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 3:03:57 AM

How about we all have common sense? Nah- screw it I think we all know that peace through total destruction is more likely to occur
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:26:58 AM
At 3/28/2016 2:44:29 AM, bulproof wrote:

Well, better than not having an answer at all xD
Meh!
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:01:19 AM
At 3/28/2016 5:26:58 AM, Axonly wrote:

Says the agnostic
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:15:06 AM
At 3/28/2016 6:01:19 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Says the agnostic

Yes, the agnostic does say that :)
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:31:55 AM

Anytime people of different faiths are able to talk without reaching for their swords peace is triumphing. Religious forums are the best examples because it encourages productive discussions between different groups. So you are in the right place without even realizing it.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:36:35 AM

As long as humans have labels they will have war, simple as that.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:39:57 AM
At 3/28/2016 6:31:55 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Anytime people of different faiths are able to talk without reaching for their swords peace is triumphing. Religious forums are the best examples because it encourages productive discussions between different groups. So you are in the right place without even realizing it.

http://media.urbandictionary.com... :D
Never fart near dog
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 7:01:00 AM
At 3/28/2016 6:36:35 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Why does it have to be war? Labels are a way to show our differences.
I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition a Hindu by birth. I was trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. I am also a student of philosophy and the behavioural sciences. But I am employed in the IT field developing AI applications. I am also the most spiritual member in DDO.
Labels are a way to show our differences...and I carry many labels. But I have never been to war. In fact I am the Christian Champion the David of Goliaths and the defender of the Muslims.
See, you don't have to go to war. You just champion a cause.

Most Spiritual discusses Spirituality
http://www.debate.org...

Harikrish for Christian Champion

Why Muslims need a Champion.
Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 7:46:00 AM

Stop Converting People .
Stop portraying other religions as Demonic .
Stop the ideology of My way or High way .

When Politicians in US can claim Hinduism as false faith and its God as False and Evil , what are you going to expect from the people who have elected such idiots .
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:38:44 AM

The arguing in which you describe will never end. It's a symptom of the new generation of skepticism. This is the new 80s, 90s and 2000s generation that has more atheists and agnostics than ever before. In this climate, arguments and flame wars about the validity of a religion is inevitable. Until either Religion is removed altogether ( Very unlikely ) or everyone is forced to be one religion ( Even more unlikely ) these arguments will continue.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:45:31 AM
At 3/28/2016 8:38:44 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

The arguing in which you describe will never end. It's a symptom of the new generation of skepticism. This is the new 80s, 90s and 2000s generation that has more atheists and agnostics than ever before. In this climate, arguments and flame wars about the validity of a religion is inevitable. Until either Religion is removed altogether ( Very unlikely ) or everyone is forced to be one religion ( Even more unlikely ) these arguments will continue.

I'm referring more to the flame wars that occur as a result of these arguments, but otherwise I agree, but the hostility involved can always be lessened
Meh!
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:54:08 AM
At 3/28/2016 8:45:31 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 3/28/2016 8:38:44 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

I'm referring more to the flame wars that occur as a result of these arguments, but otherwise I agree, but the hostility involved can always be lessened
Oh, i'm sorry. I agree that the hostility should and can be lessened, but I don't think it will be. People get very hostile, especially when you are questioning their heartfelt beliefs. You even see the same thing in politics (Especially right now in the American presidency race.).

Religion is unique in that almost every aspect of the belief and associated literature can and will be debated at some point. If not by an atheist, then someone of a different or even the same religion. This combined with humanity's tendency to become defensive when the thing they like is questioned and some very vitriolic threads are created.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:11:09 AM

Faiths enshrining non-violence both in scripture and theology include Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism, together comprising about 20% of the world's beliefs.

Faiths whose scripture and/or theology have traditionally supported the principle of a holy or just war include Judaism, Christianity and Islam, together comprising 54% of the world's beliefs.

How likely is it that the world would be less peaceful without Abrahamic faiths?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 3:59:52 PM
At 3/28/2016 11:11:09 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Faiths enshrining non-violence both in scripture and theology include Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism, together comprising about 20% of the world's beliefs.

Faiths whose scripture and/or theology have traditionally supported the principle of a holy or just war include Judaism, Christianity and Islam, together comprising 54% of the world's beliefs.

How likely is it that the world would be less peaceful without Abrahamic faiths?

But it will take a lot of wars to rid the world of their menace. My way is better. By championing their cause and steering them towards more spirituality religious wars can be avoided.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:11:01 PM

I think looking into the human psyche gives some clues as to what is possible.

For example, it is common for theists to feel glee of varying degrees at the idea of someone who does not believe in their religion to be burned and tortured for eternity. What is going on in their head to cause such a complete lack of empathy? This goes beyond dismissiveness; it is hatred.

Obviously, they consider other worldviews to be a threat. A threat to what and why? Many of those religions' idea of morality center around the subject of sex. Is there a connection?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:15:04 PM
Only love can combat evil.

Cheesy and true. We fight for our causes, but really its just the other side of the same coin, no matter how well you justify it.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:24:39 PM
At 3/28/2016 4:11:01 PM, matt8800 wrote:

For example, it is common for theists to feel glee of varying degrees at the idea of someone who does not believe in their religion to be burned and tortured for eternity. What is going on in their head to cause such a complete lack of empathy? This goes beyond dismissiveness; it is hatred.

Obviously, they consider other worldviews to be a threat. A threat to what and why? Many of those religions' idea of morality center around the subject of sex. Is there a connection?

Holy crap, that sure opens a can of wars. Can you define "those religions"? I couldn't tell if you were generalizing a religion area like Christianity, or the smaller extremist religions found within it.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:35:08 PM
At 3/28/2016 4:24:39 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 3/28/2016 4:11:01 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Holy crap, that sure opens a can of wars. Can you define "those religions"? I couldn't tell if you were generalizing a religion area like Christianity, or the smaller extremist religions found within it.

I am referring to Christianity and Islam because they are the most intolerant of other views. I am generalizing for the sake of the discussion. I realize that not everyone that belongs to those religions are intolerant - just enough to create a problem. Ive never heard anyone complaining of intolerant or hateful Buddhists. Am I wrong?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:09:51 PM
At 3/28/2016 6:15:06 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 3/28/2016 6:01:19 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Says the agnostic

Yes, the agnostic does say that :)

Tactical nucleur weapons.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:12:03 PM
At 3/28/2016 7:01:00 AM, Harikrish wrote:

I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition a Hindu by birth. I was trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. I am also a student of philosophy and the behavioural sciences. But I am employed in the IT field developing AI applications. I am also the most spiritual member in DDO.
Labels are a way to show our differences...and I carry many labels. But I have never been to war. In fact I am the Christian Champion the David of Goliaths and the defender of the Muslims.

So per the Quran and the Quran you must kill infidels, yet are an infidel yourself. So you are suicidal by definition.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:26:42 PM
(Christian Bible)(Genesis 3:15)
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

(Islamic Quran)(2:191-193)
"And slay them wherever you come upon them, and expel them from where they expelled you; persecution is more grievous than slaying."

(Christian Bible)(Matthew 10:34)
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

(Genesis 27)
-The world is blessed through Isaac. Jews come from Isaac. Christ came from the Jews. Christianity came from Christ.

The world is cursed through Ishmael. Islam is the seed of Ishmael.

---

There will be no true peace until all is fulfilled.

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:36:28 PM
At 3/28/2016 5:12:03 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

So per the Quran and the Quran you must kill infidels, yet are an infidel yourself. So you are suicidal by definition.

You don't get it. An enemy of the enemy of Islam is a friend of Islam. I come from India where Muslims and Hindus live in peace.
You are a misguided infidel. All 64 jihad verses apply to you. You must bathe a thousand times before any Jihadist will touch you. Go in peace. Some cleaner pig will take your place for now.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:39:33 PM

That's the problem. Humans work better when we have an enemy. It's natural adaption to have an enemy.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:43:15 PM
At 3/28/2016 5:39:33 PM, Rami wrote:

That's the problem. Humans work better when we have an enemy. It's natural adaption to have an enemy.

Is it natural to make enemies as tbe Jews have done? Because from history we know the Jews haven't adapted well to being crushed by the enemies they created.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:01:39 PM
At 3/28/2016 5:43:15 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/28/2016 5:39:33 PM, Rami wrote:

Is it natural to make enemies as tbe Jews have done? Because from history we know the Jews haven't adapted well to being crushed by the enemies they created.

Well, we survived and rebuilt. And how are you saying that the Jews have made enemies?

The point still stands. Nazi Germany gained power by making Jews as devils. It worked.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:04:24 PM
At 3/28/2016 3:59:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/28/2016 11:11:09 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

But it will take a lot of wars to rid the world of their menace.
Abrahamic clergy have produced the most sanctimonious war-profiteers the world has ever seen. I'm not interested in feeding them new material.

My way is better. By championing their cause and steering them towards more spirituality religious wars can be avoided.
Please find me the clerical class of any faith willing to abandon traditional claims to authority in favour of better knowledge, but unwilling to misrepresent evidence and knowledge in order to expand their authorities.

That would be a fine thing to see.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:48:15 PM
At 3/28/2016 5:36:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/28/2016 5:12:03 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You don't get it. An enemy of the enemy of Islam is a friend of Islam. I come from India where Muslims and Hindus live in peace.
You are a misguided infidel. All 64 jihad verses apply to you. You must bathe a thousand times before any Jihadist will touch you. Go in peace. Some cleaner pig will take your place for now.

The Quran says Jesus is not Christ. The Bible says he is. The Quran says kill unbelievers. By definition and basic common logic, the ideology you have created for yourself command that you kill yourself in order to satisfy it.