Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is There Any Contribution of Atheists in..

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:54:45 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/28/2016 5:42:31 AM, UUU wrote:
in sports, music, food, architecture and.. religion forums?

Atheist means they don't believe in music food and architecture.
What kind of question is that?
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:40:20 AM
in sports,

Well, we don't pray for the winning of any team, so we keep sport fair.

music,

Secular jazz...my favourite!

food,

Godless Pie and Satanic Stew

architecture

The Great Wall of logic

and.. religion forums?

Not much, but we contribute greatly to the "arts" forum.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 10:46:26 AM
in sports
Rafael Nadal, Lance Armstrong (whoops!), Riccardo Montolivo, Bruce Lee, Fernando Alonso, Chris Kluwe

music,
Larry Adler, Bjoerk, Brian Eno, Percy Grainger, Billy Joel, Brian Johnson, Paul Kelly, Aram Khachaturian, Simon Le Bon, Tom Lehrer, Marilyn Manson, Tim Minchin, Randy Newman, Randy Newman, Linda Ronstadt, Dmitri Shostakovich, Michael Tippett, Jerry Wexler, Frank Zappa

food,
Nigella Lawson

architecture
Frank Lloyd Wright

and..

religion forums?
Mad Cornish Biker and Brontoraptor, both secret atheist trolls.

(True story!)
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:35:54 PM
At 3/28/2016 10:46:26 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
in sports
Rafael Nadal, Lance Armstrong (whoops!), Riccardo Montolivo, Bruce Lee, Fernando Alonso, Chris Kluwe

music,
Larry Adler, Bjoerk, Brian Eno, Percy Grainger, Billy Joel, Brian Johnson, Paul Kelly, Aram Khachaturian, Simon Le Bon, Tom Lehrer, Marilyn Manson, Tim Minchin, Randy Newman, Randy Newman, Linda Ronstadt, Dmitri Shostakovich, Michael Tippett, Jerry Wexler, Frank Zappa

food,
Nigella Lawson

architecture
Frank Lloyd Wright

and..

religion forums?

(True story!)

Brontoraptor fits the label if you add Islamophobia. But MCB??? I thought he was a suicidal pervert trying to hookup with some menopausal virgin. He was found advertising the same on Mingle2.com tbe other caveate being she had to own a motorcycle because his is heading for the junk yard.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:52:48 PM

I noticed you left out science ;)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:08:15 PM
At 3/28/2016 4:35:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
in sports

music,

food,
Nigella Lawson

architecture
Frank Lloyd Wright

and..

religion forums?

(True story!)

Brontoraptor fits the label if you add Islamophobia. But MCB??? I thought he was a suicidal pervert trying to hookup with some menopausal virgin. He was found advertising the same on Mingle2.com tbe other caveate being she had to own a motorcycle because his is heading for the junk yard.

Hari, I am trying to work out by what arcane means you research the victims you wish to slander. Do they begin by trusting you and over-sharing, or are you simply one very creative fiction-writer who'd rather drive people to misery than put his malignant imagination to work producing publishable fiction?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:45:54 PM

music,

I was skeptical about Linda Ronstadt so I double checked...lo and behold, it's true. Also, Randy Newman is listed twice. (there's always a critic, eh?)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:01:45 PM
At 3/28/2016 6:08:15 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/28/2016 4:35:54 PM, Harikrish wrote:
in sports

music,

food,
Nigella Lawson

architecture
Frank Lloyd Wright

and..

religion forums?

(True story!)

Hari, I am trying to work out by what arcane means you research the victims you wish to slander. Do they begin by trusting you and over-sharing, or are you simply one very creative fiction-writer who'd rather drive people to misery than put his malignant imagination to work producing publishable fiction?

Each individual is different. You first develop a psychological profile of the person. In this information age everyone leaves a digital signature. MCB is extremely narcissistic and like all narcissists he left a digital trail that was easy to follow. I did the same with Brad Holkesvig aka Bornofgod. The psychological profile is fed to my AI application and every post by the individual is cross reference with his profile to arrive at the probability of truth in content on a weighted average. People often lie when they are posting anonymously and unless the facts are filtered, the exposure would fail and will often be ignored as irrelevant.
Christians are easy to profile. Their use of particular verses of scriptures provides the digital signature my application looks for and highlights the scriptural ignorance associated with the verses, again a scale and weighted average is used.
Atheists are more difficult. Their digital signature often returns a high level of profound stupidity. My application then has to search for any hint of sapien association that can be analyzed against known primate evolutionary peaks as meaningful expression.
Australian are rather divided in their choice of animals. Their digital signatures could be wooly like sheep or cuddly like Koalas. Being geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world, digital comparisons with other workdviews cannot be applied. My AI application produces a boomerang list of options. I try each one and feed the response to my system which then recalibrates and narrows the list to best practice.
The system was designed for total objectivity. I am trying to incorporate an emotional mood gauge so it is sensitive to the individuals threshold for pain. But that would reguired a whole plethora of human emotions.
Sorry I cannot reveal anymore because my work is really classified stuff.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:10:11 PM
At 3/28/2016 11:01:45 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/28/2016 6:08:15 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Each individual is different. You first develop a psychological profile of the person. In this information age everyone leaves a digital signature. MCB is extremely narcissistic and like all narcissists he left a digital trail that was easy to follow. I did the same with Brad Holkesvig aka Bornofgod. The psychological profile is fed to my AI application and every post by the individual is cross reference with his profile to arrive at the probability of truth in content on a weighted average. People often lie when they are posting anonymously and unless the facts are filtered, the exposure would fail and will often be ignored as irrelevant.
Christians are easy to profile. Their use of particular verses of scriptures provides the digital signature my application looks for and highlights the scriptural ignorance associated with the verses, again a scale and weighted average is used.
Atheists are more difficult. Their digital signature often returns a high level of profound stupidity. My application then has to search for any hint of sapien association that can be analyzed against known primate evolutionary peaks as meaningful expression.
Australian are rather divided in their choice of animals. Their digital signatures could be wooly like sheep or cuddly like Koalas. Being geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of the world, digital comparisons with other workdviews cannot be applied. My AI application produces a boomerang list of options. I try each one and feed the response to my system which then recalibrates and narrows the list to best practice.
The system was designed for total objectivity. I am trying to incorporate an emotional mood gauge so it is sensitive to the individuals threshold for pain. But that would reguired a whole plethora of human emotions.
Sorry I cannot reveal anymore because my work is really classified stuff.
So you have your own culturally-modulated Cyberstalking app?

You should patent it, or at least write it up for a PhD.

Thank you for a very entertaining explanation, Hari. :)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:31:26 PM
At 3/28/2016 8:45:54 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
music,
Larry Adler, Bjoerk, Brian Eno, Percy Grainger, Billy Joel, Brian Johnson, Paul Kelly, Aram Khachaturian, Simon Le Bon, Tom Lehrer, Marilyn Manson, Tim Minchin, Randy Newman, Linda Ronstadt, Dmitri Shostakovich, Michael Tippett, Jerry Wexler, Frank Zappa
I was skeptical about Linda Ronstadt so I double checked...lo and behold, it's true. Also, Randy Newman is listed twice. (there's always a critic, eh?)
What's most interesting about that, Skep, is why, of all the names I listed, Linda Ronstadt stood out for you as being least likely to disbelieve in God. I mean, sure, I get why you wouldn't contest Khachaturian, Tom Lehrer or Tim Minchin, but why not check Billy Joel, or Brian Eno? Is it that folk rock needs Jesus, while piano ballads and ambient music are inherently secular?

It got me wondering, is all. Despite my irreligion, I'm a big fan of blues, and that's all about God, alcoholism and domestic violence. Perhaps I need to listen to more Tangerine Dream instead?

Also, Randy Newman is listed twice. (there's always a critic, eh?)
I cannot tell you how much sleep I lost over this, Skep, once I pushed the 'post' button. It arose from an interruption to my research in which I was obliged to offer some helpdesk support for Mrs Draba's new laptop... followed by my usual haphazard copy-editing while posting not long before midnight and my putative bed-time. :p But anyway, thank you for prodding my psychic wounds. :(
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:46:41 PM
At 3/28/2016 11:31:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/28/2016 8:45:54 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
music,
Larry Adler, Bjoerk, Brian Eno, Percy Grainger, Billy Joel, Brian Johnson, Paul Kelly, Aram Khachaturian, Simon Le Bon, Tom Lehrer, Marilyn Manson, Tim Minchin, Randy Newman, Linda Ronstadt, Dmitri Shostakovich, Michael Tippett, Jerry Wexler, Frank Zappa
What's most interesting about that, Skep, is why, of all the names I listed, Linda Ronstadt stood out for you as being least likely to disbelieve in God. I mean, sure, I get why you wouldn't contest Khachaturian, Tom Lehrer or Tim Minchin, but why not check Billy Joel, or Brian Eno? Is it that folk rock needs Jesus, while piano ballads and ambient music are inherently secular?

Lol, you give me too much credit. I didn't see Billy Joel at first (but I'm not too surprised he is a non believer), and Brian Eno I am not familiar with (at least not by name). On the flip side, Linda Ronstadt, being a well known older generation country singer (a genre that is known for its propensity to mention "God", the "words in red", or "God bless" whatever), shocked me.

It got me wondering, is all. Despite my irreligion, I'm a big fan of blues, and that's all about God, alcoholism and domestic violence. Perhaps I need to listen to more Tangerine Dream instead?

Haha! Nah, good music is good music - no matter the muse.

I cannot tell you how much sleep I lost over this, Skep, once I pushed the 'post' button. It arose from an interruption to my research in which I was obliged to offer some helpdesk support for Mrs Draba's new laptop... followed by my usual haphazard copy-editing while posting not long before midnight and my putative bed-time. :p But anyway, thank you for prodding my psychic wounds. :(

My apologies...we shall never speak of this again.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 11:47:22 PM
in sports

music,

food,
Nigella Lawson

architecture
Frank Lloyd Wright

and..

religion forums?

(True story!)

You werent supposed to prove him wrong!
Meh!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:03:20 AM
At 3/28/2016 11:46:41 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 3/28/2016 11:31:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Haha! Nah, good music is good music - no matter the muse.
Well, the faithful need something to vilify atheists by. If it's not food (I eat healthily), drug abuse (I drink moderately, though don't ask me about my coffee consumption), sexual preference (straight and monogamous), exercise (cycling, kickboxing) or morality (donate to a centre for ethics, and a range of charities), it's going to break their minds when they learn that the hit singer of "Blue Bayou" loves down-home Louisiana and the people there, but not the Good Gawd HaMIGHTeh. :(

My apologies...we shall never speak of this again.
Too late! It's now in Hari's Artificially Intelligent, Culturally Insensitive Slanderomatic 2000 Pro (TM) [http://www.debate.org...]
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:09:27 AM
At 3/28/2016 11:47:22 PM, Axonly wrote:
You're right, Ax. The proper tradition for irreligion is to smile while being lovingly patronised and vilified by the religious who of course, know better -- and if you don't, it's because you're impious and immoral y'know.

I'm not sure what came over me. I need to get back in line behind the Muslims and rapists where I belong. :p
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:02:10 AM
No one could mention a song, a monument, a recipe etc.. in the name of an atheist.

As for the science, is not it a different religion.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 8:04:43 AM
At 3/29/2016 7:02:10 AM, UUU wrote:
No one could mention a song, a monument, a recipe etc.. in the name of an atheist.

Because this isn't the question you asked. You asked for atheist contributors, not specific songs, monuments or recipes about atheists.

As for the science, is not it a different religion.

My brain broke trying my parse this.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 11:47:43 AM

Yes there is.

If nothing else they underline the truth of Bible prophecy since they are, to their cost, helping fulfil it.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 12:32:43 PM
At 3/29/2016 11:47:43 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes there is.

If nothing else they underline the truth of Bible prophecy since they are, to their cost, helping fulfil it.

According to you atheists are prophecy facilitators. Which is not so bad considering the JW has over a 100 years of prophecy blunders.

100 years of Jehovah's Witnesses prophecy blunders.
http://www.bible.ca...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:35:28 PM
At 3/29/2016 12:36:18 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:
Really? This is a bad question. Do you think Lady Gaga believes in a god?

She was raised Catholic.

Published June 3rd, 2010 by Peter Elliott
Is Lady Gaga a Christian?
When you think of well-known Christians in entertainment, the list is pretty familiar.

Now can you add arguably the hottest name in popular music?

You be the judge.

Lady Gaga has become a pop music superstar with her wild costumes and memorable melodies. She was also raised in a Catholic home and was candid in a Larry King interview about her attraction to religion.

What was striking, other than that she wore a tie and suspenders to match King daily wardrobe of choice, was how her answers were candid and similar to what many Christians ask themselves.

Let me take a quick diversion.

Many of us, when cornered, would love to think we have unshakable faith. Consider this quote, however, from Max Lucado"s best-seller Fearless, released last year. In this snippet, he"s following up on a story about filmmaker Woody Allen, an avowed atheist: "I suppose someone exists who can"t fathom Woody Allen"s fears (of no life after death). There must be in God"s great world a soul who has never doubted God"s existence or questioned his goodness. But that soul is not writing this book."

If someone as devout and inspirational as Lucado can have even a glimmer of doubt, what does that say about the rest of us?

And in this case, what does it say about Lady Gaga?

Here"s part of what she told King: "I believe in Jesus, I believe in God, I"m very spiritual, I pray. At the same time there isn"t one religion that doesn"t hate or speak against or be prejudiced against another racial group or religious group or sexual group.

"I guess you could say I"m a very religious woman who is confused about religion."

Confused about religion?

Having a few doubts?

Is it possible Max Lucado and Lady Gaga would actually have something " anything " in common?

A more pertinent question is could her view of faith have something in common to you and I, most of whom are otherwise ordinary people living quite ordinary North American lives?

Consider further:

Gaga said, "I believe I"ll go to heaven, but I"ll suppose I could go either way, couldn"t I?"

Raise your hand if you have always been 100 percent convinced a spot is waiting for you in heaven.

Max Lucado"s hand is down.

Gaga"s hand is down.

My hands are still typing.

http://www.everydaychristian.com...
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:50:08 PM
At 3/29/2016 1:35:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:

She was raised Catholic.

When you think of well-known Christians in entertainment, the list is pretty familiar.

You be the judge.

Lady Gaga has become a pop music superstar with her wild costumes and memorable melodies. She was also raised in a Catholic home and was candid in a Larry King interview about her attraction to religion.

What was striking, other than that she wore a tie and suspenders to match King daily wardrobe of choice, was how her answers were candid and similar to what many Christians ask themselves.

Many of us, when cornered, would love to think we have unshakable faith. Consider this quote, however, from Max Lucado"s best-seller Fearless, released last year. In this snippet, he"s following up on a story about filmmaker Woody Allen, an avowed atheist: "I suppose someone exists who can"t fathom Woody Allen"s fears (of no life after death). There must be in God"s great world a soul who has never doubted God"s existence or questioned his goodness. But that soul is not writing this book."

If someone as devout and inspirational as Lucado can have even a glimmer of doubt, what does that say about the rest of us?

Here"s part of what she told King: "I believe in Jesus, I believe in God, I"m very spiritual, I pray. At the same time there isn"t one religion that doesn"t hate or speak against or be prejudiced against another racial group or religious group or sexual group.

"I guess you could say I"m a very religious woman who is confused about religion."

Confused about religion?

Having a few doubts?

Is it possible Max Lucado and Lady Gaga would actually have something " anything " in common?

A more pertinent question is could her view of faith have something in common to you and I, most of whom are otherwise ordinary people living quite ordinary North American lives?

Consider further:

Gaga said, "I believe I"ll go to heaven, but I"ll suppose I could go either way, couldn"t I?"

Raise your hand if you have always been 100 percent convinced a spot is waiting for you in heaven.

Gaga"s hand is down.

Ok, that was probably a flop example.

David Bowie died christian.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:55:30 PM
When I was an evangelical, the idea was consistently driven home that the vast majority of contemporary music is the work of unbelievers-- and perhaps even the seductive handiwork of Satan...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 2:01:30 PM
At 3/29/2016 1:50:08 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:

She was raised Catholic.

You be the judge.

Confused about religion?

Having a few doubts?

Consider further:

Gaga"s hand is down.

Anyone who is confused about religion as Lady Gaga confesses to Larry King in tbe interview must be a Christian. The only group that is certain about what they are and know are atheists. Believing their ancestors were monkeys doesn't take rocket science. There is even evidence their chimpanzee cousins are smarter.
Chimpanzees beat humans in cognitive tests.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 2:06:08 PM

for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

i.e. God showers his blessings on everyone. One's God given talents do not depend on having faith. There will be many with and without faith who will display adeptness at various human skills.
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 2:13:07 PM
At 3/29/2016 2:01:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 3/29/2016 1:50:08 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:

She was raised Catholic.

You be the judge.

Confused about religion?

Having a few doubts?

Consider further:

Gaga"s hand is down.

Anyone who is confused about religion as Lady Gaga confesses to Larry King in tbe interview must be a Christian. The only group that is certain about what they are and know are atheists. Believing their ancestors were monkeys doesn't take rocket science. There is even evidence their chimpanzee cousins are smarter.
Chimpanzees beat humans in cognitive tests.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Planet of the apes?
O.O
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 3:05:52 PM
At 3/29/2016 1:55:30 PM, Fly wrote:
When I was an evangelical, the idea was consistently driven home that the vast majority of contemporary music is the work of unbelievers-- and perhaps even the seductive handiwork of Satan...

As an ex-Christian, I second that...
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 3:09:30 PM
At 3/29/2016 2:06:08 PM, Geogeer wrote:

for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

But didn't do f*ck all during the whole plagues,measles, small pox thing.

But rain ? yeah he got that covered.

Might be time to start thinking more than just gong along with the christian talking points.

i.e. God showers his blessings on everyone. One's God given talents do not depend on having faith. There will be many with and without faith who will display adeptness at various human skills.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 3:54:18 PM
At 3/29/2016 3:09:30 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 3/29/2016 2:06:08 PM, Geogeer wrote:

But didn't do f*ck all during the whole plagues,measles, small pox thing.

And your point is?

But rain ? yeah he got that covered.

But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. "And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.

Might be time to start thinking more than just gong along with the christian talking points.

I do think, maybe you should attempt to understand the Christian understanding instead of just repeating the angry atheist talking points.