Jump to topic:

What did Jesus die for?

Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 6:55:33 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
The connection between Jesus dying for our sins and our sins seems to be incoherent. I don't understand Jesus dying for our sins and the circumstances surrounding his death as clearly drawing a line to all of our sins from that event. The only thing I can see logically connecting his death to any sins at all was the sin of the angry mob of religious people demanding the government kill a heretic. If I get a traffic ticket for speeding I got that ticket for driving over the speed limit, but I can't see Jesus dying really being linked to anything else other than what I have already said.

Please explain to me what Jesus' death has to do with all the sins of all humans aside from quoting scripture because it doesn't make any sense either.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:08:25 PM
At 3/28/2016 6:55:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:
Please explain to me what Jesus' death has to do with all the sins of all humans aside from quoting scripture because it doesn't make any sense either.

Jesus came because of our sins. He came to declare the forgiveness of sins, and was killed because he did that. That is why he died because of our sins.

Here is the Biblical reason why Jesus came:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19
He said to them, "Let's go elsewhere into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this reason I came forth."
Mark 1:38

And here is the reason why he was allowed to die:

For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9

But Jesus had before all that right to forgive sins as you may notice from this:

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 8:17:58 PM
At 3/28/2016 6:55:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:
The connection between Jesus dying for our sins and our sins seems to be incoherent. I don't understand Jesus dying for our sins and the circumstances surrounding his death as clearly drawing a line to all of our sins from that event. The only thing I can see logically connecting his death to any sins at all was the sin of the angry mob of religious people demanding the government kill a heretic. If I get a traffic ticket for speeding I got that ticket for driving over the speed limit, but I can't see Jesus dying really being linked to anything else other than what I have already said.

The Jews sought to kill him because he was accused of blasphemy. I am gonna quote scripture because it's necessary to comprehend the context.

John:30 I and my Father are one.

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemes; because I said, I am the Son of God?

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,