kperry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:19:00 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
: At 3/30/2016 8:12:34 AM, RedAtheist912 wrote:
At 3/30/2016 7:31:34 AM, UUU wrote:
What comes to your mind when you hear the word 'religion'.? .

http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:31:09 AM

re - legion - re=again / legion = a large group
is the first thing that came to mind - but I googled ligion and it is related to the word legion as well as the latin root legare which means to bind. "Religion comes from the Latin word, legare, meaning "to connect.""
https://www.wordnik.com...
http://www.wordhippo.com...

So technically it means to bind a group. Probably the reason that I shy away from religion but embrace my belief in God, and share it freely with anyone who is open enough to consider my unique perspective of belief.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:59:00 AM

The old JW slogan "Religion is a snare and a racket".

Truer than even Atheists realise and in ways they would never believe.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:31:23 AM

Divide .
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:14:31 AM

Rel: people you have to live with and love, but don't necessarily like;
+
Ig: prefix of ignoble, igneous and ignoramus: a harbinger of the recreant, incendiary and foolish arriving any minute;
+
Ion: a charged, incomplete element known for wild deflections and vaguely associated with cancer.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 12:52:22 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:59:00 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

... as the WatchTower has proven about as well as anyone, excluding the Catholics.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:24:27 PM
Huh, I never studied the word itself all that much, but according to the way its used in my life never considered the binding interpretation. I feel like a defined religion can be used to classify people, but that their are almost as many religions as their are people.

So there is the Catholic Church, that studies really hard for 1 view on Christianity that all the Catholics are supposed to follow, but Catholic members of the church often have their own personal beliefs as well that differ from the church.

Then there are people who are non denominational, who are obviously just different then various church denominations, which leads me to my next view.

I used to consider only the largest diversions to be religions, like Judaism, Buddhism, and Christianity, but now I've changed my mind and decided that whether the change be large or small, it is still change, so I narrow different religions down to below the denominational classification.

I also consider science to be a religion, or an integral part of some religions.

Religions do not require a God, or a soul in my unwritten definition.

Now that I've got it pinned down, there are two things I thought about when reading the word. Personal growth via influence, and exclusivity leading to poor outcomes.

What I mean is, if your religion is stagnant, then you aren't growing and changing, which to me means you've lost the pursuit of perfection. If you have an imperfect system and put faith in it, due to the nature of probability something bad is bound to happen, like the suicide bombings that I can't help but think about, the pure essence of stagnation. That's a general philosophy I have on religion. Have faith in what you believe, but don't be so proud that you see the illusion of perfection, and don't treat others as though your actions are perfect. Be humble, and learn. You are human.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:25:09 PM

When I hear the word religion, I see large groups of people who worship a dead Jewish corpse nailed to a cross who are hounded by another large group of atheists who believe their ancestors were monkeys.
When I think of spirituality Hinduism comes to my mind. We should all be thinking of Hinduism. It is our only hope of transcending the other groups by having higher aspirations, higher intellectual pursuits and a guaranteed shot at enlightenment.
Why resurrect a dead Jewish corpse nailed to a cross who had the living day lights beaten out of him for saying dumb things and then hung to dry?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:28:10 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:14:31 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

+
Ig: prefix of ignoble, igneous and ignoramus: a harbinger of the recreant, incendiary and foolish arriving any minute;
+
Ion: a charged, incomplete element known for wild deflections and vaguely associated with cancer.

Honestly that has to be derisive instead of etymological
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 1:31:36 PM

A human made social system propagated on the idea that certain customs and ceremonies can entice the divine for personal favors, protection and aid in selfish endeavors.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 2:15:46 PM
At 3/30/2016 1:39:22 PM, UUU wrote:
Mhykiel,

Who made science?

The one who made everything, Jehovah, but Satan caused man to abuse it.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 2:18:16 PM
At 3/30/2016 12:52:22 PM, annanicole wrote:

... as the WatchTower has proven about as well as anyone, excluding the Catholics.

Yes, they prove it continually, that is why they are not truly a religion. They are a way of life.

They certainly proved that people like you are a snare for the unwary, who are as easily misled as you have been.

Not that it is hard, the Bible is the perfect tool for opposing such Antic-Christs as you.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 2:50:58 PM
At 3/30/2016 2:18:16 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, they prove it continually, that is why they are not truly a religion. They are a way of life.

So is Scientology.

They certainly proved that people like you are a snare for the unwary, who are as easily misled as you have been.

Not that it is hard, the Bible is the perfect tool for opposing such Antic-Christs as you.

They have continually given heart to unscrupulous politicians, since they have repeatedly proven that gullible people will believe one ridiculous assertion after another. Was it 1914? No, it'll be 1915? Oops, no it's 1918! God chose us in 1919! It'll be 1925. No, it'll be 1926. Well, no, it'll be sometime in the 1930's. It's "very near." It'll be before the generation that comprehended the signs of 1914 dies off. Dang, that didn't work: let's redefine "generation" a dozen times.

Yep, people like Obama l-o-v-e the WatchTower!
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:15:12 PM
Mhykiel,

Who made science?

Mankind

It's a system design and instituded by humans. It's methodology has a history of refinement. It's implementation is constrained by it's axioms, accepted inferences and the prior accepted premises of academia. As a methodology it is human made

As a domain of study, which is to say a repository of knowledge humans have gained by way of scientific methodology it is still human made
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:25:04 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:12:34 AM, RedAtheist912 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...

I will be forever in your debt for showing me that video. That was....that was awesome....
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:14:44 PM
At 3/30/2016 2:50:58 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 3/30/2016 2:18:16 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

So is Scientology.

True, and Mormonism, as well as the Society of Friends (Quakers), but those two are false ways of life. The JWs are the real deal, and lead to the real life which is to come.

Though the Mormons do officially call themselves the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as well.

They have continually given heart to unscrupulous politicians, since they have repeatedly proven that gullible people will believe one ridiculous assertion after another. Was it 1914? No, it'll be 1915? Oops, no it's 1918! God chose us in 1919! It'll be 1925. No, it'll be 1926. Well, no, it'll be sometime in the 1930's. It's "very near." It'll be before the generation that comprehended the signs of 1914 dies off. Dang, that didn't work: let's redefine "generation" a dozen times.

Yep, people like Obama l-o-v-e the WatchTower!

Not really because they know that the WTBTS is no part of this world and therefore against them in effect.

Yes, the JWs made mistakes, but they learned from them.

You make mistakes every time you post, but you never learn from them at all.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:19:56 PM

And, so the obsession with MCB continues as does the derailing of threads? Why not just move in with MCB and you can both have at it. You're already an old married couple, on these forums, anyways.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:29:11 PM

The state of ignorance, delusion and belief from which reason, rationale and understanding evolved and supplanted.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:30:15 PM

So nice to know you haven't forgotten us...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:31:56 PM
At 3/30/2016 2:15:46 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Mhykiel,

Who made science?

I always knew MCB and Mhykiel were the same person...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:45:26 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:31:56 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Mhykiel,

Who made science?

Not even close. We disagree on quite a bit. And I don't think my speech or rationale is like his :p

Would religion or science exist if there were no humans? Barring some other intelligent life like us no they wouldn't
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:47:51 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:36:00 PM, UUU wrote:
Mhykiel,

Unknown exists indepently though others are dependent on it.

I don't see your contention.

Can the unknown exist without a mind and that mind's frame of reference? No

So religion and science are man made. Made by the minds of humans
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:51:18 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:45:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 4:31:56 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Mhykiel,

Who made science?

Not even close. We disagree on quite a bit. And I don't think my speech or rationale is like his :p

Would religion or science exist if there were no humans? Barring some other intelligent life like us no they wouldn't

I was just joking that he responded to a post addressed to you. The man can't help but derail threads and discussions.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:08:14 PM
At 3/30/2016 1:28:10 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:14:31 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

+
+

Honestly that has to be derisive instead of etymological

It was unquestionably a pseudo-etymology, Mhykiel, and I wasn't being serious, even in my derision. You've probably seen the one about 'expert' where 'X' is the unknown quantity, and 'spurt' is a drip under pressure. I just wanted to see how bad a pseudo-etymology I could make, and whether anyone would believe it true -- or believe I believed it. :p

Nevertheless, I'd be appalled if my religious friends believed I thought them foolish, incendiary recreants whom I had to love but didn't like. People are worthy of love by birth, and worthy of being liked if they sacrifice today for the good of others at all (even in the selfish and ignorant hope of rewards later.)

A human made social system propagated on the idea that certain customs and ceremonies can entice the divine for personal favors, protection and aid in selfish endeavors.

A more serious answer would be not unlike yours. When I think of religion I think of a sociological category (that is: a category of social belonging, with all the cultural activities and artefacts that attach) typically founded in systematised, magical thought. Or at a personal level it's simultaneously a fascinating cultural curio, a sometime evil tool of human oppression, and a regrettably tangled obstacle I must at times navigate to do good and reasonable things.