Jump to topic:

Inferring God

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:15:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Let's assume two things, that there is a creator/shaper/architect of the Universe and his nature may be inferred from his creation. What therefore can we infer about him?

This is simply a thought experiment.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:18:56 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:15:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Let's assume two things, that there is a creator/shaper/architect of the Universe and his nature may be inferred from his creation. What therefore can we infer about him?

I doubt that. It will soon turn into another childish fight.
kfc
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:22:02 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:18:56 AM, Koopin wrote:

I am getting better at ignoring the trolls, if I have to ignore several pages for the occaisional valid post I don't mind.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:28:54 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:22:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I am getting better at ignoring the trolls, if I have to ignore several pages for the occaisional valid post I don't mind.

well you just responded to the KFC troll that only post 'Dance Magic Dance' quite often in the religious forums so your off to a bad start.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:29:19 AM

That he knows everything that you can cognition.

Other than that, nothing.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:30:24 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:28:54 AM, Marauder wrote:

well you just responded to the KFC troll that only post 'Dance Magic Dance' quite often in the religious forums so your off to a bad start.

Koopin is not really a troll though is he?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:31:54 AM

you can infer a central theme being in his design of death and resurrection. for example the Caterpillar. or the general way nature recycles itself. the changing seasons of the year slowly approaching death (winter) to be reborn (spring) the next year. If God has anything to say through his artwork to us it has something to do with death and rebirth.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:34:18 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:30:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/18/2010 10:28:54 AM, Marauder wrote:

not right now I guess, and when he does post his 'KFC' spam or 'Dance Magic Dance' it doesn't usually take up more than one post. He's on the borderline I guess, witch is okay.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:37:30 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:31:54 AM, Marauder wrote:

you can infer a central theme being in his design of death and resurrection. for example the Caterpillar. or the general way nature recycles itself. the changing seasons of the year slowly approaching death (winter) to be reborn (spring) the next year. If God has anything to say through his artwork to us it has something to do with death and rebirth.

Interesting idea.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:58:19 AM

He likes water. Water keeps people going, it is necessary for life and it makes things clean. Since water takes up about 70 percent of the earth I suppose God wants to be compared to water. Then many other conclusions follow. If interested in the importance of water:
http://science.howstuffworks.com...
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:01:15 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:58:19 AM, vardas0antras wrote:

He likes water. Water keeps people going, it is necessary for life and it makes things clean. Since water takes up about 70 percent of the earth I suppose God wants to be compared to water. Then many other conclusions follow. If interested in the importance of water:
> God exists.
> Water exists.
> Water does a lot to sustain life.
> Therefore God likes water.

You can't make any reasonable guesses that aren't completely abstract, for that reason--pointless answers are pointless.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:08:06 AM

Most of the universe is dark very dark even in this world its not always bright and sunny (night,bad weather, etcetera). I don't think I have to argue that color black is usually associated with evil.
The sun on the other hand is very similar to water when it comes to how important something is. I assume that God wants to be compared to the sun. Its interesting to note that the sun being the element of fire is opposite to water being the element of water, obviously. The other conclusions follow.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:10:01 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:01:15 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 10:58:19 AM, vardas0antras wrote:

> God exists.
> Water exists.

You can't make any reasonable guesses that aren't completely abstract, for that reason--pointless answers are pointless.

Are you serious ?!?
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:11:22 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:10:01 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
> God exists.
> Water exists.

Are you serious ?!?
Prove me wrong.

N.B. I'm talking about A God, not the Christian God.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:13:20 AM
Ultimately all we can do is stand in awe and honestly the universe is too magnificent for us not to be able to compare God to virtually everything. Anyway thats it because I have a feeling that I'm supposed to do something more productive.

*Marches out just to get distracted, again*
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:15:11 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:11:22 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:10:01 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
> God exists.
> Water exists.

Are you serious ?!?
Prove me wrong.

Read my (second) final post as to why I don't bother.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:18:56 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:13:20 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
Ultimately all we can do is stand in awe and honestly the universe is too magnificent for us not to be able to compare God to virtually everything. Anyway thats it because I have a feeling that I'm supposed to do something more productive.

*Marches out just to get distracted, again*
We base what we infer based on everything that we know to exist. Based on everything we know to exist we can't infer anything from complexity, nature or design.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:25:15 AM

They're defined as people who say random retardation for attention, right? In that case he definitely applies.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:25:31 AM

That he's evil or incompetent, or both.

The birth canal is too small, too many diseases in the world, our teeth don't grow properly, Andromeda is going to collide with the Milky Way, too many natural disasters, and the list goes on.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:26:00 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:11:22 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Hehe the Christian God's not Christian - he's just "A God" too :P
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:27:12 AM

Anyway back to the OP.

I'd say we can infer that she was powerful and intelligent insofar as intelligent design (creation). That's about it. We wouldn't automatically know if she was good or evil, for example, let alone her goals or desires.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:28:26 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:25:15 AM, theLwerd wrote:

They're defined as people who say random retardation for attention, right? In that case he definitely applies.

Okay he is a troll, but he is the most palatable of trolls.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:37:25 AM
At 11/18/2010 11:29:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Why do you ask? Or rather what's the experiment/hypothesis?

To be honest with you I just have issues. I am obsessed with God. I also like mythology, this was just purely to see what sort of ideas people might come up with.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 1:02:29 PM
I really wish more people simply genuinely answered the question rather than present their self-important, pretentious opinions about the people on this site or their theological perspectives.

That said, I think that it's quite intriguing that some of these observations coincide with some "preposterous claims" presented in religion.

Something about spheres, circles, cycles, and the like, appeal to God. Everything is connected, eternal, but finite; present and simple, but incomprehensible. Everything arranges in a sphere, the only shape with one side, two-dimensional and three-dimensional, simultaneously... everything is circles and spirals, revolving outward or inward. Everything is explained by everything else--from spiral theory to galactic orbit.

I can see how someone could become completely consumed with Unified Theory. I can see how someone could be consumed with a single, independent theory, as well.

The truth, the reality to all things, is likely very simple. And, it will take us forever to figure it out.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 1:04:53 PM
At 11/18/2010 11:25:15 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Definitively!

Kfc
kfc
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 1:18:29 PM
At 11/18/2010 1:02:29 PM, Ren wrote:
I really wish more people simply genuinely answered the question rather than present their self-important, pretentious opinions about the people on this site or their theological perspectives.

That said, I think that it's quite intriguing that some of these observations coincide with some "preposterous claims" presented in religion.

Something about spheres, circles, cycles, and the like, appeal to God.

How?

Everything is connected, eternal, but finite; present and simple, but incomprehensible. Everything arranges in a sphere, the only shape with one side, two-dimensional and three-dimensional, simultaneously... everything is circles and spirals, revolving outward or inward. Everything is explained by everything else--from spiral theory to galactic orbit.

You may see this as a reason to infer how grand God is, while I simply see this as a reason to infer how grand the Universe is.

I can see how someone could become completely consumed with Unified Theory. I can see how someone could be consumed with a single, independent theory, as well.

The truth, the reality to all things, is likely very simple. And, it will take us forever to figure it out.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 1:24:14 PM
At 11/18/2010 1:18:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Something about spheres, circles, cycles, and the like, appeal to God.

How?

?!?!?!

First of all, practically everything that we know to exist is either a collection of things that forms into something rounded, completely round, or spherical; or, it's something that forms in a spiral.

Everything is cyclic, as well. Life to death to life, the recycling of all matter (which is neither created, nor destroyed), and the general arrangement that results in everything spinning or revolving, from atoms to planets to galaxies.

Everything is connected, eternal, but finite; present and simple, but incomprehensible. Everything arranges in a sphere, the only shape with one side, two-dimensional and three-dimensional, simultaneously... everything is circles and spirals, revolving outward or inward. Everything is explained by everything else--from spiral theory to galactic orbit.

You may see this as a reason to infer how grand God is, while I simply see this as a reason to infer how grand the Universe is.

What?

It was an answer to a hypothetical question that assumed there is a God.

Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 2:42:39 PM

First of all, practically everything that we know to exist is either a collection of things that forms into something rounded, completely round, or spherical; or, it's something that forms in a spiral.

http://read.mangashare.com...
I miss the old members.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 4:15:32 PM
At 11/18/2010 2:42:39 PM, Atheism wrote:

http://read.mangashare.com...

http://www.imdb.com...