Jump to topic:

Going to heaven

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:37:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I propose that the Christian God won't send a honest man to hell who at the same time fixes hes errors. Though he doesn't deserve heaven.

Just an idea also anything else related to heaven may be discussed here.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:48:26 AM
do you believe an honest man exist by the standards that we think God judges (traditionally thought to be the ten commandments).

I suspect though that all have fallen short http://bible.cc... though. so whether god would send an honest man to hell is rather a mute point.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:51:01 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:37:04 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
I propose that the Christian God won't send a honest man to hell who at the same time fixes hes errors. Though he doesn't deserve heaven.

We are at least in part the product of our circumstances, our circumstances being arbitary and beyond our control will not bar us from heaven if God is just. The boy raised by loving Priests and the boy raised by abusive priests must have an equal chance of getting into heaven or God is not just. If one of us ends up in heaven then so does everyone else... though some may spend longer in purgatory.

Yep purgatory is the one bit of Christianity that starts to make sense.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 10:54:09 AM

Self defeating unless you believe in purgatory or any other third option.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:08:49 AM
At 11/18/2010 10:50:35 AM, Koopin wrote:
No, read the bible.

This.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 1:35:31 PM
No, read the bible.

On the cross, Jesus told a man that spent his life as a thief and was being executed for it and He will see the man in Heaven on the merit that the man recognized, acknowledged, and respected Jesus, and humbled himself.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 9:03:29 AM
At 11/18/2010 1:35:31 PM, Ren wrote:
No, read the bible.

On the cross, Jesus told a man that spent his life as a thief and was being executed for it and He will see the man in Heaven on the merit that the man recognized, acknowledged, and respected Jesus, and humbled himself.

actually what Jesus said was 'today you will be with me in paradise', and as I recall from the class my pastor taught, paradise properly understood does not mean heaven. No one enters Heaven until there is judgment, and the day of judgment has yet to come. That's why we wright 'R.I.P' (rest in peace) on tombstones; when the church started that tradition it was out of the understanding that the souls of those passed away are currently still in the bodies and 'R.I.P' is put there as a way of saying we don't want there soul to be restless, wonder around up hear bothering us (ghost are creepy).
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Woodycanuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 9:38:32 AM

A problem with religion is that anyone can propose anything they want to make themselves feel better or to make their religion more palatable. Of course, it doesn't mean anything real. Your statement flies in the face of scripture, the same scripture which is often cited as evidence of God. So if you reject your own scripture that clearly states I'm going to burn in hell (and you too in all likelihood), then you should obviously reject your God.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 9:46:29 AM
At 11/19/2010 9:38:32 AM, Woodycanuck wrote:

A problem with religion is that anyone can propose anything they want to make themselves feel better or to make their religion more palatable. Of course, it doesn't mean anything real. Your statement flies in the face of scripture, the same scripture which is often cited as evidence of God. So if you reject your own scripture that clearly states I'm going to burn in hell (and you too in all likelihood), then you should obviously reject your God.

having a different idea is not necessarily rejecting scripture you hard@$$. vardas0antras is completely at liberty to view them with different perspective and thus interpretation without rejecting the principal that they are the true word of God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Woodycanuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 9:54:55 AM
Everyone is at liberty to do whatever they want. I am at liberty to point out that if something as fundamental and clearly written as the 10 Commandments is now open for interpretation and rationalization, and if completely opposite views about scripture (we're not talking shades of grey here) are both equally "valid", then you should logically conclude that the Bible really can not be used to learn the truth about anything.

P.S. Why the namecalling?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 10:09:38 AM
At 11/19/2010 9:54:55 AM, Woodycanuck wrote:
Everyone is at liberty to do whatever they want. I am at liberty to point out that if something as fundamental and clearly written as the 10 Commandments is now open for interpretation and rationalization, and if completely opposite views about scripture (we're not talking shades of grey here) are both equally "valid", then you should logically conclude that the Bible really can not be used to learn the truth about anything.

I not talking about total relativism in truth, I am a objectivity there too. but the basis for Vardas current view does not mean he just rejected scripture for it. He can be wrong, overlook something, undertake something in his search for truth in the scripture and still be consistent in the fact that the bible is the source of his belief. He has done nothing worthy of being accused of cherry picking what he wishes to take from the bible simply because it's not perfectly in syncs with all others that read it.
second off as an atheist you are the last person in a position to tell him what the bible really say's as I've heard all atheist on this site state what they think it teaches and it is all embarrassingly inaccurate. No atheist ever rejects what the bible really teaches, only made up teachings they pretend is in there.

P.S. Why the namecalling?

well, with the exception of the fact that your clearly an atheist, your referring to the bible like a hard@$$ legalistic christian would. and whats worse you didn't actually quote the scripture that supposedly makes there no way to get around it.

the pointlessness of you post and the with the attitude it was posted in pissed me off so much that I responded to it with equal attitude, as it's often all people who post like you do can understand.

A Scout is Obedient.