Total Posts:81|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

TGT's wager

the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would God create a religion which a person would be better off avoiding ?

Here's my point, in biblical Christianity everyone who has been perfected gets into heaven full of "everlasting glory" and all the unclean go into "everlasting Hell", there's no middle ground,

In Mormonism however they believe in three degrees of Glory, the Celestial, the Terrestrial, and least of all the "Telestial Kingdom" which is not unpleasant: "the glory of the telestial...surpasses all understanding" (Doctrine and Covenants 76:89).

Qualification for this Kingdom, doesn't require membership in Mormonism, any person living a christian type life with all their imperfections can easily gain access.

So a person is better off avoiding the Mormon church in favour of biblical Christianity, because according to Mormonism at the very least they will be given a glory which "surpasses their understanding", on the other hand, for a person to reject biblical Christianity in favour of Mormonism, they run the risk of eternal damnation.

I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:30:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Fair enough.

I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.
/Islam
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Would God create a religion which a person would be better off avoiding ?

All wagers fail because none of them try to demonstrate the truth of the religion. They try to get you to believe despite whether the religion is true or not.

I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.

Hinduism, Jainism, Baha'i, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:34:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:30:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Fair enough.

I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.
/Islam

No explanation ?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:39:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.

Hinduism, Jainism, Baha'i, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age.

Reason: None of these religions require you to worship God for eternity in some sort of slave bondage relationship.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:41:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:34:50 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:30:56 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Fair enough.

I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.
/Islam

No explanation ?

Islam offers an eternal reward however you may only receive it though the word of god as told by Muhammad.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:44:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Hinduism,
No.

Jainism,
No.

Baha'i,
Not at all.

Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age.
And no.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:44:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:39:59 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.

Hinduism, Jainism, Baha'i, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age.

Reason: None of these religions require you to worship God for eternity in some sort of slave bondage relationship.
Not Bah'ai. >Kitáb-i-Aqdas
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:45:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:44:47 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:39:59 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided.

Hinduism, Jainism, Baha'i, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, New Age.

Reason: None of these religions require you to worship God for eternity in some sort of slave bondage relationship.
Not Bah'ai. >Kitáb-i-Aqdas
Thank you, Mirza.

Hinduism? LOL!
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 11:54:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Would God create a religion which a person would be better off avoiding ?

Sure, why not.

Qualification for this Kingdom, doesn't require membership in Mormonism, any person living a christian type life with all their imperfections can easily gain access.

That sounds like a much more reasonable God to me, one who basis rewards and punishment on merit and not on blind faith. If I were inclined to pick between the two, I would take this one.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:03:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Hinduism,

Your spirit soul gets absorbed into Brahman (infinite impersonal God) and experience Nirvana.

Jainism,

You acquire a state of omniscience and infinite awareness and basically become a god.

Baha'i,

Like a video game. You are continually evolving forever, and everytime you die, you get to the next world, a newer and better place each time.

Scientology,

You get reincarnated onto other planets. That sounds pretty cool to me.

Buddhism,

The ego-self is extinguished and you reach a state of Nirvana, the highest bliss.

Taoism,

Death is meaningless in Taoism. Everything is one with the Tao, the eternal flow of the Universe.

New Age.

The afterlife is whatever you want it to be. That beats the heck out of the Christian heaven.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:07:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:03:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:34:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Hinduism,


Your spirit soul gets absorbed into Brahman (infinite impersonal God) and experience Nirvana.

Jainism,

You acquire a state of omniscience and infinite awareness and basically become a god.

Baha'i,

Like a video game. You are continually evolving forever, and everytime you die, you get to the next world, a newer and better place each time.

Scientology,

You get reincarnated onto other planets. That sounds pretty cool to me.

Buddhism,

The ego-self is extinguished and you reach a state of Nirvana, the highest bliss.

Taoism,

Death is meaningless in Taoism. Everything is one with the Tao, the eternal flow of the Universe.

New Age.

The afterlife is whatever you want it to be. That beats the heck out of the Christian heaven.
"I'd like to know if anyone has a belief which offers an eternal reward or rewards where Christianity would be better avoided."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:18:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Becoming one with God is not a reward?

You gain eternal life, you become infinite and godly, and experience a state of Nirvana.

I would certainly avoid Christianity and try to attain this reward instead.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:26:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:18:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Becoming one with God is not a reward?

You gain eternal life, you become infinite and godly, and experience a state of Nirvana.

I would certainly avoid Christianity and try to attain this reward instead.
Not at all.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:33:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. *It could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:33:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 11:54:05 AM, Floid wrote:
At 11/18/2010 11:25:26 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Would God create a religion which a person would be better off avoiding ?

Sure, why not.



Qualification for this Kingdom, doesn't require membership in Mormonism, any person living a christian type life with all their imperfections can easily gain access.

That sounds like a much more reasonable God to me, one who basis rewards and punishment on merit and not on blind faith. If I were inclined to pick between the two, I would take this one.

Where in biblical Christianity are we taught to "adopt blind faith" ?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:33:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.
Yes it is.
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:35:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:33:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.
Yes it is.

You mean it is in the NT, right? I agree with that, but it is NOT in the OT.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:36:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.
Wrong.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:36:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.

Hell is all over the place in the NT. That's what started it all.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:37:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:35:24 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:33:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.
Yes it is.

You mean it is in the NT, right? I agree with that, but it is NOT in the OT.
I referred to the NT. The OT refers to punishment and reward.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:37:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:36:30 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:32:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.

I'm not even sure it's in the NT either. I could just be a later concept that somehow got introduced.

Hell is all over the place in the NT. That's what started it all.

Ok, I wasn't fully sure. :/ I figured it was. I don't really care much for the NT.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:38:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:26:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:18:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Becoming one with God is not a reward?

You gain eternal life, you become infinite and godly, and experience a state of Nirvana.

I would certainly avoid Christianity and try to attain this reward instead.
Not at all.

Explain your position.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:38:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:36:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.
Wrong.

Wrong
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:38:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:38:15 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:36:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.
Wrong.

Wrong
Sheol.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:40:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:38:55 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:38:15 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:36:13 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 11/18/2010 12:30:17 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
There is absolutely no mention of hell in the OT, so Jews do not believe in hell.
Wrong.

Wrong
Sheol.

That's not really hell in the traditional understanding of hell being a firey pit of doom.