Jump to topic:

Would we be better off without Atheism?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 6:48:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
During the pinnacle and height of America morally and financially the U.S. was 90%+ Christian, would we just be better off without Atheism?

;-)
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 6:55:29 PM
At 4/1/2016 6:48:30 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
During the pinnacle and height of America morally and financially the U.S. was 90%+ Christian, would we just be better off without Atheism?

;-)

What, then we wouldn't have anyone to P and moan like a pathetic shrew with a firm belief in their entitlements to everything in the world. are sure we wouldn't be better off without atheism? maybe we should ask the peasantry in china or Russia to be sure. those are atheist (secular) governed nations.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 6:57:25 PM

;-)

Economics is cyclical. Through the industrial age, we had an opportunity to exploit our resources. The industrial age was fueled by new technology, not religion.

Regarding morality, if you ask someone that is black or a woman who would like to vote, they might not agree. Also, a society that grows up in wealth and excess, it impacts how people develop.

If you are referring to crime, criminals are disproportionately religious so the speculation that lack of religion causes more crime is false.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 7:05:25 PM

;-)

What moral heights are you talking about? Manifest destiny? Slavery? Segregation? When exactly did America reach its moral pinnacle, in your view? Prohibition, perhaps?
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 7:06:57 PM

;-)

Simple question and simple answer: No.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 7:58:01 PM

;-)

Why do you make such false correlations? A lot has happened bw those times. Here is one of mine... since religion is on the decline we are more free. This is bc the idea of multiple gods (ie pagan gods) is coming back. With the return of the pagan gods we have made technology bc the gods worked together to bring us together. That is why countries like the middle east (that don't allow multiple gods) are doing so poorly.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 11:10:43 PM
At 4/1/2016 7:58:01 PM, Outplayz wrote:

;-)

Why do you make such false correlations? A lot has happened bw those times. Here is one of mine... since religion is on the decline we are more free. This is bc the idea of multiple gods (ie pagan gods) is coming back. With the return of the pagan gods we have made technology bc the gods worked together to bring us together. That is why countries like the middle east (that don't allow multiple gods) are doing so poorly.

Religion isn't on the decline. It's bigger than ever worldwide.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 11:13:56 PM

;-)

Would you mind just explicitly stating what time period this was?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 1:59:01 AM

Setting aside how you evaluate morality, do you believe China would be less industrialised today if only the world were more religious?

If so, please explain!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:09:29 AM
At 4/6/2016 1:59:01 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Setting aside how you evaluate morality, do you believe China would be less industrialised today if only the world were more religious?

If so, please explain!

Being industrialized does not make you moral.

Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 4:28:18 AM
At 4/5/2016 11:10:43 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 4/1/2016 7:58:01 PM, Outplayz wrote:

;-)

Religion isn't on the decline. It's bigger than ever worldwide.

One: I will make sure i do something about that. Two: I have no problem with the people that follow religion - they need guidance and follow what is already there. So Three: They are actually spiritual and very easily made unaffiliated or just neutral to the term "religion" making them more spiritual.

Now, i can't talk for the whole world... that is just too many people and i will run into ignorance (Plus technology hasn't had its full effect everywhere). But, the trend in Western nations such as Europe and America is what i explained above. The millennials are the least likely to be religious, and we will take this with us into the future. So ... if i had to make a prediction, i would say religion is on the decline while unaffiliated, spirituality, personal belief is on the rise.

To me, as someone that is highly spiritual, that is good news. I think organized religion has been hijacked by the "devil" (as a theist would say). I understand what you are fighting for, and i respect that - i respect you as a spiritual soul. However, i think you should really evaluate who you are fighting for. All religion is doing is dividing us and creating fear. If you can't see that, i don't know what to tell you.

I can only tell you that in my belief, you are powerful. There is no one judging you or swaying you from your path. You are in full control - which - makes you accountable for anything and everything you add to this world. In my eyes, a theist that teaches another that they are not powerful, is sub-human (spiritually) and possessed by darkness. Religion is only saving a group of people and forgets spirituality effects us all. We need to understand what everyone is and what everyone believes - at which point we will know who to respect and who to be cautious of. This takes mental maturity in the spiritual sense. I believe the younger generations growing with technology understand this. However, this is all assumption and prediction from me - I'm usually right though =)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 5:38:30 AM
At 4/6/2016 2:09:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 4/6/2016 1:59:01 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

If so, please explain!

Being industrialized does not make you moral.

Your claims about US morality meant nothing to me, but a big part of the present threat to US economic dominance is the industrialisation of manufacturing economies with big populations, like China.

So, are you asserting that China would be less industrialised if the world were more religious? That's what you seem to be saying. I'd like to know how that works!