Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

If your god would lift the ban on murder?

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:24:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Let's say your god made an obvious approach to us, for saying that the ban on murder has been lifted, would you adjust your moral compass after this? And now I don't want anyone of you to say things like "God would never do that". Imagine he would, and discuss.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:26:25 PM
At 4/2/2016 12:24:04 PM, Jovian wrote:
Let's say your god made an obvious approach to us, for saying that the ban on murder has been lifted, would you adjust your moral compass after this? And now I don't want anyone of you to say things like "God would never do that". Imagine he would, and discuss.

I think my topic had a little better flavor text to it. ;)
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:34:48 PM
At 4/2/2016 12:26:25 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I think my topic had a little better flavor text to it. ;)

Damn, I didn't see your thread until now. However, that was about killing unbelievers, this is about killing anyone out of arbitrary grounds.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:49:51 PM

No. I'm 44, and still, occasionally, I wake from dreams about crappy things I did as a kid.
Conscience has a long memory!
(I didn't kill anyone)
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 1:26:19 PM
At 4/2/2016 12:49:51 PM, autocorrect wrote:

No. I'm 44, and still, occasionally, I wake from dreams about crappy things I did as a kid.
(I didn't kill anyone)

Sure. But this is because you have heard people throughout your whole life saying what you did was wrong. Religious people have their religion as an absolute moral. Thus, what it is saying should be the conscience.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 7:24:39 PM
At 4/2/2016 1:26:19 PM, Jovian wrote:
At 4/2/2016 12:49:51 PM, autocorrect wrote:

(I didn't kill anyone)

Sure. But this is because you have heard people throughout your whole life saying what you did was wrong. Religious people have their religion as an absolute moral. Thus, what it is saying should be the conscience.

No, I haven't heard people throughout my life - telling me what I did was wrong. It's a long time in the past - and there's no good reason to be haunted by it, but that conscience is a long winded teacher. I can't speak for anyone else. I can only suppose other people function in the same basic way - but maybe not. Still, I doubt religious people suspend all rational moral judgement - even as they are guided in their moral conduct by religion.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:33:18 PM

Its good to see that your open minded, but I really hope this little experiment only has 1 result.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:55:50 PM
At 4/3/2016 2:33:18 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Its good to see that your open minded, but I really hope this little experiment only has 1 result.

The theist arming himself and going out on the street to play GTA in real life?