Jump to topic:

Code of Conduct

Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 7:33:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I am not aware of any moderators on this website, but there should be some. In fact, it has become painfully obvious that there are none with my one month of reading forum posts. Since there are apparently none on here, we, as a community, must try our best to enforce the Code of Conduct outlined on this website. If you witness someone violating this Code of Conduct, please report them, but also do not respond to their posts. They will quickly change their attitude or leave if no one associates with them. Let's examine the "general" Code of Conduct for this website (emphasis added):
"Debate.org prides itself on intellectual and thought-provoking conversation. Please be courteous and mindful of other members. Do not post anything that is of an explicit, offensive, or harassing nature. When in doubt of whether or not something on the site violates our Code of Conduct, contact a moderator for clarification."

Under the section entitled "Content Posted and Code of Conduct," we read the following:
[Members] Will follow the following rules while participating on the site. Any disregard for these rules or any of the other terms or guidelines may result in termination of a member's account.
-No use of profanities or swear words.
-No personal attacks against other members or a member's opinions.
-No use of racial, sexual or religious slurs.
-No threats or implications thereof.

So let's collectively enforce the Code of Conduct in this forum. Report and ignore those who violate it. You can read the full Code of Conduct for yourself here:
http://www.debate.org...

I would like to conclude by establishing my own personal "rules" for threads I create:
My threads are for the purpose of debate.org members to discuss subjects of interest openly, honestly, and fairly without obvious personal attacks that are baseless, or even getting too negative about anyone or any one particular view.

My threads serve as a place for us to cultivate our belief and also to discuss how we can work together with others who believe similarly or even very differently from us.

Anyone who violates the Code of Conduct or my own personal "rules" on my threads will be reported and ignored.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
(John 4:24)
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 8:07:13 PM
At 4/2/2016 7:33:18 PM, Elihu wrote:
I am not aware of any moderators on this website, but there should be some. In fact, it has become painfully obvious that there are none with my one month of reading forum posts. Since there are apparently none on here, we, as a community, must try our best to enforce the Code of Conduct outlined on this website. If you witness someone violating this Code of Conduct, please report them, but also do not respond to their posts. They will quickly change their attitude or leave if no one associates with them. Let's examine the "general" Code of Conduct for this website (emphasis added):
"Debate.org prides itself on intellectual and thought-provoking conversation. Please be courteous and mindful of other members. Do not post anything that is of an explicit, offensive, or harassing nature. When in doubt of whether or not something on the site violates our Code of Conduct, contact a moderator for clarification."

Under the section entitled "Content Posted and Code of Conduct," we read the following:
[Members] Will follow the following rules while participating on the site. Any disregard for these rules or any of the other terms or guidelines may result in termination of a member's account.

So let's collectively enforce the Code of Conduct in this forum. Report and ignore those who violate it. You can read the full Code of Conduct for yourself here:

I would like to conclude by establishing my own personal "rules" for threads I create:
My threads are for the purpose of debate.org members to discuss subjects of interest openly, honestly, and fairly without obvious personal attacks that are baseless, or even getting too negative about anyone or any one particular view.

My threads serve as a place for us to cultivate our belief and also to discuss how we can work together with others who believe similarly or even very differently from us.

Anyone who violates the Code of Conduct or my own personal "rules" on my threads will be reported and ignored.

You said you held back to make your 1st post. In this section. 1 hour of ago
You then posted a good post, you recived some nice banter. I mean a nice little back and fourth.
Then bammmmm ya post this . Code of conduct crap and what you want for the religion forum.

INSTAMUTE
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 8:14:30 PM
At 4/2/2016 8:07:13 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

You said you held back to make your 1st post. In this section. 1 hour of ago
You then posted a good post, you recived some nice banter. I mean a nice little back and fourth.
Then bammmmm ya post this . Code of conduct crap and what you want for the religion forum.
I was reserved, because there is no moderation on this forum. However, I find it silly that anyone should have to be reserved on a public forum when there is a Code of Conduct members are supposed to be following. Since that is the case, I published the Code of Conduct in an easily accessible area.

This is not a Code of Conduct "I want." It is the official Code of Conduct for this website.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 8:44:15 PM

People get round that one quite easily, they just change one or more letters.

There are mods on here, I have been supported by them, encouraged by them on many occasions and censured on one or two. though it has to be said they aren't very keen on kicking people off except in fairly extreme circumstances, hence there are so many cyber-bullies on here.

Personally none of it worries me, which I guess just makes them worse.

However I have to abide by the ruling of my King and leader, Christ, and speak forthrightly and honestly, however nothing I say on here is intended to hurt, just to teach.

His foremost rule is "love your enemy" and by that rule I cannot completely ignore anyone, I have to try to guide them to the road to life whatever I think of them.

I try to avoid the more contentious and stupid posts but I simply cannot ignore all of them.

I wish you good fortune with your endeavours.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 9:04:16 PM
At 4/2/2016 8:44:15 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I try to avoid the more contentious and stupid posts but I simply cannot ignore all of them.
This is unfortunate. There should be no posts of that nature.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 12:26:00 AM

I noticed you have been on DDO for about a month with little over 50 posts. That is less than 2 posts a day. Now compare that to another new comer Chloe8 who joined about the same time who is an atheists with about 700 posts or a little less that 25 posts a day. You might want to focus on defending your beliefs as a Christian against highly motivated atheist like Chloe8 and others like her instead of complaining about the contributing membears on their conduct.

The religious forum is very active. If you cannot take the heat you are ill prepared to deal with secular arguments against Bronze Age sanctimony.

Welcome to DDO. We might yet make a man out of you.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 12:39:39 AM
At 4/3/2016 12:26:00 AM, Harikrish wrote:

I noticed you have been on DDO for about a month with little over 50 posts. That is less than 2 posts a day. Now compare that to another new comer Chloe8 who joined about the same time who is an atheists with about 700 posts or a little less that 25 posts a day. You might want to focus on defending your beliefs as a Christian against highly motivated atheist like Chloe8 and others like her instead of complaining about the contributing membears on their conduct.
I have had some brief discussions with the user you mentioned. I prefer to go with the position of "quality over quantity." I do not make aimless posts, but I make posts that are aimed to start a thorough and well reasoned discussion. In my discussions with the user you mentioned, I have found that they lack the foundation of knowledge needed to discuss the topics they start. That is fine if their objective is to inquire, but the objective often seems to be criticism.

I believe that you and me have very different definitions of a "contributor." I have watched many threads on here that appear to be the dialog of the deaf. In other words, they repeat statements over and over until one gets tired and moves on. Some people are bewildered by the lack of understanding shown by members and give up. Are spammers, trolls, and bullies "contributors"? One could say yes, but I would say no. A "contributor" offers a contribution, but that is not what many members do. Many members arguably take away from the website as a whole.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:07:22 AM

LOL, you must be new here, there is a reason those rules are not enforced, for example.

"No threats or implications thereof."

How about all the divine threats from the religious, that being if you don't comply with x,y,z your going to hell.

"No use of racial, sexual or religious slurs."

Lets also added non religious slurs.

"No personal attacks against other members or a member's opinions."

What if some one says, you know I don't think Hitler did anything wrong ? prepared to be attacked, mocked, ridiculed.

"No use of profanities or swear words."

If some one is like, you know, I just think abortion is so wrong cause God loves the zygotes (or something to that effect), then I point out, oh lets look at the history of human infants and children suffering and dying with various diseases, where God could of stop it, or provided the information on vaccinations but didn't, your damm right a swear word is coming to that person, along the lines of, you f*Cking kidding me right ?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:16:28 AM
At 4/2/2016 9:04:16 PM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/2/2016 8:44:15 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Members have a right to express their OPINIONS! The post you are quoting is not threatening it is an opinion.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:17:25 AM
At 4/2/2016 9:09:19 PM, desmac wrote:
Here come the Thought Police.

no sh!t - don't let em destroy your right to express yourself!
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:17:46 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:07:22 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

LOL, you must be new here, there is a reason those rules are not enforced, for example.

How about all the divine threats from the religious, that being if you don't comply with x,y,z your going to hell.
The "threat" of nonbelievers being punished by God is not applied in this forum. Why? Simply read the description of the religion forum:
"Engage and explore our religious forum and discuss your opinion on faith, world religions and more."

If we are to discuss world religions, then that will naturally come up and is therefore exempt. However, I would not find it productive or in accordance with the Code of Conduct for someone to say "I hope you burn in hell."

Absolutely.

What if some one says, you know I don't think Hitler did anything wrong ? prepared to be attacked, mocked, ridiculed.
Why would you do those things? If someone said that to me, I would inquire as to how they came to their conclusion. Maybe they know something I do not. If you disagree with them, then create a civil dialogue.

If some one is like, you know, I just think abortion is so wrong cause God loves the zygotes (or something to that effect), then I point out, oh lets look at the history of human infants and children suffering and dying with various diseases, where God could of stop it, or provided the information on vaccinations but didn't, your damm right a swear word is coming to that person, along the lines of, you f*Cking kidding me right ?
So the problem is with your own lack of self control and not the Code of Conduct? I am not saying that to be rude, but I do not see how your emotions override the rules of the website.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:19:56 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:16:28 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Members have a right to express their OPINIONS! The post you are quoting is not threatening it is an opinion.
I am not quoting any post other than the one made by MadCornishBiker. I had no objections to it, but I was adding my own opinion on the matter. People do have the right to express their opinions in a civil way, I agree. I do not recall ever saying otherwise.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:24:13 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:17:46 AM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/3/2016 1:07:22 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

The "threat" of nonbelievers being punished by God is not applied in this forum. Why? Simply read the description of the religion forum:
"Engage and explore our religious forum and discuss your opinion on faith, world religions and more."

If we are to discuss world religions, then that will naturally come up and is therefore exempt. However, I would not find it productive or in accordance with the Code of Conduct for someone to say "I hope you burn in hell."

Your exemption just creates a double standard, I reject your double standard thank you very much.

Your going to allow people to play the God will send you to hell card, fine, now just shut the f*ck up about threats, cause that is A THREAT.

Absolutely.

If you can police it, good luck with that one.

Why would you do those things? If someone said that to me, I would inquire as to how they came to their conclusion. Maybe they know something I do not. If you disagree with them, then create a civil dialogue.

So the problem is with your own lack of self control and not the Code of Conduct? I am not saying that to be rude, but I do not see how your emotions override the rules of the website.

No the problem is with peoples bullsh*t, we are allowed to call our bullsh*t, and name it as bullsh*t.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:27:22 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:19:56 AM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/3/2016 1:16:28 AM, Emmarie wrote:

I am not quoting any post other than the one made by MadCornishBiker. I had no objections to it, but I was adding my own opinion on the matter. People do have the right to express their opinions in a civil way, I agree. I do not recall ever saying otherwise.

Your response, "This is unfortunate. There should be no posts of that nature." is what bothered me - MCB's post is his observation and shows he is tolerant but uses his own discretion like individuals should do. Nobody is forcing anyone to read every post. Maybe someone else finds value or wants to engage in dialog on a post that offends others. You have the right to ignore things you find distasteful and MCB exercises discernment which is his and everybody else's right.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:33:48 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:27:22 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Your response, "This is unfortunate. There should be no posts of that nature." is what bothered me - MCB's post is his observation and shows he is tolerant but uses his own discretion like individuals should do. Nobody is forcing anyone to read every post. Maybe someone else finds value or wants to engage in dialog on a post that offends others. You have the right to ignore things you find distasteful and MCB exercises discernment which is his and everybody else's right.
You are right. I can choose to add my input to a discussion or not, as all members can. I may find a post about Jesus being a homosexual distasteful, but (assuming it was presented well) I have no objections to people discussing it. If someone is trying to create a thread for the purpose of offending, disrespecting, or bullying others, then I do have an objection to it.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:34:05 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:24:13 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Your exemption just creates a double standard, I reject your double standard thank you very much.
It does not create a double standard. If I speak to an atheist, I know that they view my death as being the end of me and I have no hope of anything else. I am not particularly bothered by that. I know that Muslims believe I will go to hell, but I am also not bothered by that since I am speaking on a religion forum.

Your going to allow people to play the God will send you to hell card, fine, now just shut the f*ck up about threats, cause that is A THREAT.
I am not sure what your objection is.

Absolutely.

I cannot police anything. The most I can do is guide, report, or ignore. Sometimes all three.

No the problem is with peoples bullsh*t, we are allowed to call our bullsh*t, and name it as bullsh*t.
Apparently not, as you have to censor the text.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:37:54 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:34:05 AM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/3/2016 1:24:13 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

It does not create a double standard. If I speak to an atheist, I know that they view my death as being the end of me and I have no hope of anything else. I am not particularly bothered by that. I know that Muslims believe I will go to hell, but I am also not bothered by that since I am speaking on a religion forum.

I am not sure what your objection is.

You complain about threats, but will look the other way when it comes to threats made in the name of divine and eternal hell fire.

Absolutely.

I cannot police anything. The most I can do is guide, report, or ignore. Sometimes all three.

Apparently not, as you have to censor the text.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:39:25 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:37:54 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

You complain about threats, but will look the other way when it comes to threats made in the name of divine and eternal hell fire.
God, deities, gods, etc. are not active members on debate.org who post in the religion section.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:41:04 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:39:25 AM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/3/2016 1:37:54 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

God, deities, gods, etc. are not active members on debate.org who post in the religion section.

Obviously, which is why your fellow man has to make such threats in their name.
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:45:11 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:41:04 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Obviously, which is why your fellow man has to make such threats in their name.
I already objected to people threatening the wrath of God on others. So what is the issue?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:46:46 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:33:48 AM, Elihu wrote:
At 4/3/2016 1:27:22 AM, Emmarie wrote:

You are right. I can choose to add my input to a discussion or not, as all members can. I may find a post about Jesus being a homosexual distasteful, but (assuming it was presented well) I have no objections to people discussing it. If someone is trying to create a thread for the purpose of offending, disrespecting, or bullying others, then I do have an objection to it.

My hair would stand up if I saw a post about Jesus being a homosexual - I would probably skim it to offer support to anyone who was refuting that claim and let them know someone is reading and appreciates their assertiveness on the subject.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 1:55:31 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:46:46 AM, Emmarie wrote:

My hair would stand up if I saw a post about Jesus being a homosexual -
Did it Yes or No sleep with up to 12 men at a time?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:08:53 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:55:31 AM, Composer wrote:

sleeping isn't sex
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:23:20 AM

There are lots of pretty little religious sites that meet all your criteria so why don't you go there.
This site is for grownups.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Elihu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:29:25 AM
At 4/3/2016 2:23:20 AM, bulproof wrote:

There are lots of pretty little religious sites that meet all your criteria so why don't you go there.
I quoted this website's Code of Conduct.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:02:20 AM
At 4/3/2016 2:29:25 AM, Elihu wrote:

I quoted this website's Code of Conduct.
Go to a little religious site where you can't say sh*t for a shilling, you'll be happy there, this place is for grownups.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:07:37 AM

You should notice that there are more Christians on this site than atheists.
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:19:54 AM
At 4/3/2016 1:55:31 AM, Composer wrote:

At 4/3/2016 2:08:53 AM, Emmarie wrote:
sleeping isn't sex
Do you have proofs it wasn't having sex with any/all of them?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:32:17 AM

My hair would stand up if I saw a post about Jesus being a homosexual - I would probably skim it to offer support to anyone who was refuting that claim and let them know someone is reading and appreciates their assertiveness on the subject.

How do you explain Mark 14?

50 And they all forsook him, and fled.
51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

First his disciples who had been sleeping all fled except for this more loyal half-naked young man who had obviously been hanging around with Jesus that evening. Then he too finally fled. Hmmm. Sounds suspicious to me.