Opinion on Calvinism?

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 10:43:23 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
What do you think of Calvinism?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 11:34:03 AM
At 4/3/2016 10:43:23 AM, foxxhajti wrote:

As a Catholic, I disagree with some of it.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Begin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 4:28:40 AM

What is it that wants you to bring this topic up about Calvinism? Is there something In perticular that you want to discuss?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 11:25:53 AM
At 4/7/2016 4:28:40 AM, Begin wrote:

What is it that wants you to bring this topic up about Calvinism? Is there something In perticular that you want to discuss?

I'm just not that knowledgeable about it and wanted to know about it a bit more.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:06:04 PM
At 4/7/2016 11:25:53 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 4/7/2016 4:28:40 AM, Begin wrote:

I'm just not that knowledgeable about it and wanted to know about it a bit more.

I'm not very familiar with Calvinism (*disclaimer), but from what I understand they don't believe in free will ie., you can only believe if God has chosen for you to believe.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:45:25 PM

The view that God does the choosing would be correct but how Calvin explains all of that in his theology seems off the rails. Think about it long enough and you"ll see it"s all God"s choice, even when the Lord tells you what to choose it"s still because it is His choice. He told the Israelites to choose life because that is His choice for them.

The catholic church goes with freewill, but that may have been adopted to have more influence throughout the populous back in the day. Like many churches do today.

it's been my experience that many US bible belt type churches like Baptists don't care for his thinking.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 3:34:02 PM
At 4/7/2016 2:45:25 PM, DPMartin wrote:

The view that God does the choosing would be correct but how Calvin explains all of that in his theology seems off the rails. Think about it long enough and you"ll see it"s all God"s choice, even when the Lord tells you what to choose it"s still because it is His choice. He told the Israelites to choose life because that is His choice for them.

The catholic church goes with freewill, but that may have been adopted to have more influence throughout the populous back in the day. Like many churches do today.

it's been my experience that many US bible belt type churches like Baptists don't care for his thinking.

Thank you for your response.