Jump to topic:

Toy pig removed

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 11:02:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"A toy pig was withdrawn from a children's farm set by its makers to avoid the risk of causing offence to Muslim and Jewish parents, it has been reported."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

The manufacturer said: "Previously the pig was part of the Goosefeather Farm. However due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm."

Fair enough you might say, Muslims and Jews don't eat pork so the pig should be removed just in case the toy is bought for a Muslim or Jewish child.

But wait! What about the Hindus? They don't eat beef so surely the cow should be removed as well? And Buddhists don't eat meat at all so the rest of the animals should be taken out as well.

I can see profit in this:

Devout followers of minority religions - rush out and buy Eggleston's Ethnically-Aware Farmyard Animal Set for your child right now!

Why? Because they are guaranteed not to offend even the most extreme of religious fanatics.

Each Farmyard Animal Set includes:

12 pigs (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
12 cows (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
12 sheep (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
24 chickens (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)

Please note that a farmer and a farmer's wife to accompany this set are available at extra cost.

The customers would be paying good money for an empty box! This tiime next year I'll be a billionaire!

Seriously though, how far do you think we, as a society, should go to pander to the sensitivities of religious extremists?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 11:14:57 AM
At 11/19/2010 11:02:49 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
"A toy pig was withdrawn from a children's farm set by its makers to avoid the risk of causing offence to Muslim and Jewish parents, it has been reported."

The manufacturer said: "Previously the pig was part of the Goosefeather Farm. However due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm."

Fair enough you might say, Muslims and Jews don't eat pork so the pig should be removed just in case the toy is bought for a Muslim or Jewish child.

But wait! What about the Hindus? They don't eat beef so surely the cow should be removed as well? And Buddhists don't eat meat at all so the rest of the animals should be taken out as well.

Devout followers of minority religions - rush out and buy Eggleston's Ethnically-Aware Farmyard Animal Set for your child right now!

Why? Because they are guaranteed not to offend even the most extreme of religious fanatics.

12 pigs (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
12 cows (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
12 sheep (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)
24 chickens (due to customer feedback and religious reasons this is no longer part of the farm)

Please note that a farmer and a farmer's wife to accompany this set are available at extra cost.

The customers would be paying good money for an empty box! This tiime next year I'll be a billionaire!

Seriously though, how far do you think we, as a society, should go to pander to the sensitivities of religious extremists?

I have yet to see someone do something because I find something offensive, not only when it comes to religion. I am fine. Wherefore my answer is 0 however I wouldn't ever support something that just want to be offensive.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 11:24:38 AM
Muslims, and Hindus, and Vegans.. Oh My!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Woodycanuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 1:33:04 PM
Yes, this is much more reasonable than saying "Don't want the pigs? throw them away!" Also, they are FAKE PIGS and nobody is eating them...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 4:06:21 PM
We should stop selling bacon and ham on the off chance that a muslim or jewish child see it and one day decide they want to try it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 4:34:09 PM
At 11/19/2010 4:11:14 PM, Koopin wrote:
This is dumb. The Muslims who are offended by this need to build a bridge and get over it.

They don't build bridges they build mosques.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:30:23 PM
At 11/19/2010 5:32:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/19/2010 5:31:46 PM, Mirza wrote:
assassasa
I am very sorry, I updated my signature and mistakenly posted this nonsense.

Why is our debate your sig?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:11:59 AM

I am deeply offended that I am unable to purchase a same sex couple for my child's farmyard and shall be suing.

Also your monkey butler crapped everywhere.

We should pretty much ignore them, in the case of Islam we should probably go out of our way to cause offence. It is better that we have this argument now and not when white brits are an ethnic minority. Jesus... I am such a reactionary turd.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:12:51 AM
At 11/19/2010 4:06:21 PM, lovelife wrote:
We should stop selling bacon and ham on the off chance that a muslim or jewish child see it and one day decide they want to try it.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:14:52 AM
PS: The toy pig has been restored, save for sets sold in the middle east.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 2:13:26 PM
At 11/20/2010 7:14:52 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
PS: The toy pig has been restored, save for sets sold in the middle east.

We should put pigs in it.

I mean seriously, we have farms with dogs and cats. I don't know any non-chinese person that eats either, so should we then not have cats and dogs in them? I think we should add some rats too.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 2:20:07 PM

This is exactly why I prefer the good ol days. Back when Merry Christmas wasn't a no no for companies. I think it was less about political correctness and more about people not being so shallow and getting their feelings hurt so easily. It's not just stuff like this, it's many areas of society that have taken this dive into this type of childish behavior.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Elmakai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 7:50:10 PM
This is nothing new in capitalism. They are catering to a certain group, just like any product does. When the government starts to do that, then it's a different story. . .