Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Noah's Ark

bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:45:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It's a fairytale designed to demonstrate the power of the genocidal god who demands your worship or else.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tarantula
Posts: 846
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:47:49 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It is a fairy tale, possibly based on a regional severe flood.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:33:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Animals can be shipped over seas.
And fairies have tails
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:38:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 3:27:49 PM, desmac wrote:
A drop of rain never harmed anyone.

Well duh, but that's kind of irrelevant to the story. Stay tuned for next week when we discuss compromise between style and function of old world witch apparel.

PS: You are winning the comment competition. You deserve a prize.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:40:14 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 3:38:35 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 3:27:49 PM, desmac wrote:
A drop of rain never harmed anyone.

Well duh, but that's kind of irrelevant to the story. Stay tuned for next week when we discuss compromise between style and function of old world witch apparel.

PS: You are winning the comment competition. You deserve a prize.

Thank you. May I have a prize like Carmody's?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:52:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Moses was not the only one to tell the story. The story of Noah is older than the Bible.

Contemporary scholars believe the books of Moses were composed in the sixth century BC. Yet the story is told in books more than a thousand years older than the Bible.

The Instructions of Shuruppak, Sumerian, 1700 BC or older...

This story is also preserved in Hindu scriptures as old or older than the Bible.

There are more: the story of the "great deluge" has been told not only by the Hebrews, Christians, Sumarians, and Hindus, but also by the Greeks (Deukalion), the K"iche", Maya, Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa, and Muisca, people from many cultures, on many continents, and many eras.

http://gnosticteachings.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:15:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Poor Noah didn't get his wife turned into a pillar of salt.
He wasn't as righteous as the daughter f*cking Lot, how righteous do ya gotta be?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:01:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Don't have sex with aliens. Mankind innately immoral. God is patient for only so long.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:15:45 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 6:01:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Don't have sex with aliens. Mankind innately immoral. God is patient for only so long.
And never take responsibility.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:16:08 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 6:01:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Don't have sex with aliens.

Damn....too late...
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
bulproof
Posts: 25,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:23:22 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.

Or learn some science and KNOW that not enough water exists on the planet.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Chloe8
Posts: 2,576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:12:45 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It disproves christianity as it is scientifically proven the myth of a world wide flood is false. A similar myth is included in scripture of other religions older than Christianity. If the great flood happened mount Everest would have been submerged, where did all the water go?
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:23:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 8:23:22 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.

Or learn some science and KNOW that not enough water exists on the planet.

I've had enough of this.

Could we form a mutual agreement? I'd prefer that you stop replying to me, and if you'd like I'll stop replying to you. I'm sure your a swell guy, but I'm not trying to prove anything, and you are always trying to disprove me anyway and it just doesn't cut it for me and every one of our posts has contributed nothing good to either of us to my knowledge.

We don't need to learn some science. Just look at a globe, estimate that the amount of water is less then surface area of the earth, and realize said water will not rise to the top of the tallest mountain. Due to the detailed description of the story beyond religious practicality I have reason to believe there is a decent possibility of a massive recorded flood in the story of Noah's Ark. Due to common sense, I have good reason to believe that if the "world" was ever mentioned it did not mean the entire earth in a time when people didn't know what earth was, and therefore did not mean all the animals of the earth. Due to my limitations, I'm not drawing any crazy unfounded conclusions. In fact I haven't even put a real posts down here yet up to this point. Its just a discussion that I've been reading, and slapping a couple jokes on before I figure out something good to say.

If you want to debate, please go to the debate section. You have one permissible post left in this forum. Then I respectfully ask that you see fit to go elsewhere or stop repeatedly debunking scripture when we aren't on the subject of verification. Please bulproofproof my religious/personal OP'd forums so that we can avoid each other from becoming PO'd in the future. I wish I could communicate well with you, but I can't. Sorry, I don't mind a little criticism, but I'll be talking about something that is merely religiously related, and all I hear out of you is why religion is wrong. I don't care, and I never claimed it was right, so please stop replying or get on topic of what you are replying to. I'd like this to be over with.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:32:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 9:12:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It disproves christianity as it is scientifically proven the myth of a world wide flood is false. A similar myth is included in scripture of other religions older than Christianity. If the great flood happened mount Everest would have been submerged, where did all the water go?

Don't you think if God was mighty enough to create a Giant Flood that reached to top of Mount Everest, He would have found a way to dissipate the water after it served its purpose. You only use the second part of the argument to refute the first. Even though the bible explains how the water receded. Water still makes up 3/4 of the earths surface and much is stored as Artic ice.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 1:50:55 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 9:23:15 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:23:22 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.

Or learn some science and KNOW that not enough water exists on the planet.

I've had enough of this.

Could we form a mutual agreement? I'd prefer that you stop replying to me, and if you'd like I'll stop replying to you. I'm sure your a swell guy, but I'm not trying to prove anything, and you are always trying to disprove me anyway and it just doesn't cut it for me and every one of our posts has contributed nothing good to either of us to my knowledge.

We don't need to learn some science. Just look at a globe, estimate that the amount of water is less then surface area of the earth, and realize said water will not rise to the top of the tallest mountain. Due to the detailed description of the story beyond religious practicality I have reason to believe there is a decent possibility of a massive recorded flood in the story of Noah's Ark. Due to common sense, I have good reason to believe that if the "world" was ever mentioned it did not mean the entire earth in a time when people didn't know what earth was, and therefore did not mean all the animals of the earth. Due to my limitations, I'm not drawing any crazy unfounded conclusions. In fact I haven't even put a real posts down here yet up to this point. Its just a discussion that I've been reading, and slapping a couple jokes on before I figure out something good to say.

If you want to debate, please go to the debate section. You have one permissible post left in this forum. Then I respectfully ask that you see fit to go elsewhere or stop repeatedly debunking scripture when we aren't on the subject of verification. Please bulproofproof my religious/personal OP'd forums so that we can avoid each other from becoming PO'd in the future. I wish I could communicate well with you, but I can't. Sorry, I don't mind a little criticism, but I'll be talking about something that is merely religiously related, and all I hear out of you is why religion is wrong. I don't care, and I never claimed it was right, so please stop replying or get on topic of what you are replying to. I'd like this to be over with.

To some degree, isn't the validity of the story a relevant discussion?

If I were to start a thread, "what is the significance of Cyclopes giving Zeus lightning", would it be appropriate for someone to question whether the story actually happened in the first place?

If you are saying that the flood did not cover the entire earth, you are saying that the bible should not be taken literally because that is exactly what it says. If you are not taking it literally, then why would you take the story of the event literally at all? I was raised a Christian but even by the time I was 8, I knew something was fishy about the story if you put any thought into it at all.

Skepticism makes the truth stronger. If it just raises more questions, then it most likely isn't true. If you don't consider skepticism, how can you test your beliefs? Haven't you ever believed something and found out later you were wrong? I have.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 2:04:00 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 9:32:25 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/3/2016 9:12:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It disproves christianity as it is scientifically proven the myth of a world wide flood is false. A similar myth is included in scripture of other religions older than Christianity. If the great flood happened mount Everest would have been submerged, where did all the water go?

Don't you think if God was mighty enough to create a Giant Flood that reached to top of Mount Everest, He would have found a way to dissipate the water after it served its purpose. You only use the second part of the argument to refute the first. Even though the bible explains how the water receded. Water still makes up 3/4 of the earths surface and much is stored as Artic ice.

If it simply turned into ice, then even if the ice was flat, it would still be over 29,000 feet thick....above sea level and would cover the highest mountains. That is not including the water below sea level. If it all accumulated at the poles, it would literally reach well into space.

The "God is so mighty" argument is used with literally every religion ever created. How religious people think that argument is ridiculous for other ancient religions but not their own?

Christians ask for non-Christians to prove that the bible isn't true. There is mountains of proof and the creation story is just one.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 2:38:46 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 1:50:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 9:23:15 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:23:22 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.

Or learn some science and KNOW that not enough water exists on the planet.

I've had enough of this.

Could we form a mutual agreement? I'd prefer that you stop replying to me, and if you'd like I'll stop replying to you. I'm sure your a swell guy, but I'm not trying to prove anything, and you are always trying to disprove me anyway and it just doesn't cut it for me and every one of our posts has contributed nothing good to either of us to my knowledge.

We don't need to learn some science. Just look at a globe, estimate that the amount of water is less then surface area of the earth, and realize said water will not rise to the top of the tallest mountain. Due to the detailed description of the story beyond religious practicality I have reason to believe there is a decent possibility of a massive recorded flood in the story of Noah's Ark. Due to common sense, I have good reason to believe that if the "world" was ever mentioned it did not mean the entire earth in a time when people didn't know what earth was, and therefore did not mean all the animals of the earth. Due to my limitations, I'm not drawing any crazy unfounded conclusions. In fact I haven't even put a real posts down here yet up to this point. Its just a discussion that I've been reading, and slapping a couple jokes on before I figure out something good to say.

If you want to debate, please go to the debate section. You have one permissible post left in this forum. Then I respectfully ask that you see fit to go elsewhere or stop repeatedly debunking scripture when we aren't on the subject of verification. Please bulproofproof my religious/personal OP'd forums so that we can avoid each other from becoming PO'd in the future. I wish I could communicate well with you, but I can't. Sorry, I don't mind a little criticism, but I'll be talking about something that is merely religiously related, and all I hear out of you is why religion is wrong. I don't care, and I never claimed it was right, so please stop replying or get on topic of what you are replying to. I'd like this to be over with.

To some degree, isn't the validity of the story a relevant discussion?

If I were to start a thread, "what is the significance of Cyclopes giving Zeus lightning", would it be appropriate for someone to question whether the story actually happened in the first place?

Yes, your completely right. I'm just sick of a certain variety of bulproof's posts in particular, and don't want loaded substance free comments like "learn some science" repeatedly directed towards me by the same person over and over in forum after forum nor do I wish to be that person. I didn't mean that towards anyone else. bulproof just had strike 3 for me from past experience. I didn't mean to put anything down or subdue any skepticism of the story. I'm just getting towards my limit with bulproof so I laid it on the line so it doesn't go past my limit. I hope I came across respectfully. I just don't get along with bulproof, and that's just how it is.

Skepticism makes the truth stronger. If it just raises more questions, then it most likely isn't true. If you don't consider skepticism, how can you test your beliefs? Haven't you ever believed something and found out later you were wrong? I have.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 2:59:25 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 3:52:28 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Moses was not the only one to tell the story. The story of Noah is older than the Bible.

Contemporary scholars believe the books of Moses were composed in the sixth century BC. Yet the story is told in books more than a thousand years older than the Bible.

The Instructions of Shuruppak, Sumerian, 1700 BC or older...

This story is also preserved in Hindu scriptures as old or older than the Bible.

There are more: the story of the "great deluge" has been told not only by the Hebrews, Christians, Sumarians, and Hindus, but also by the Greeks (Deukalion), the K"iche", Maya, Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa, and Muisca, people from many cultures, on many continents, and many eras.

http://gnosticteachings.org...

I was hoping someone would go this route. Diverge by all means people, but this is one of the most repercussive aspects of the story. In truth, I'm not sure how long ago Noah actually lived, but it goes WAY back, and the story is ancient, even when comparing to organized scripture as we know it.

Unfortunately I have little to go on, as I haven't yet invested my time, but the accounts of Noah are similar, but from different perspectives when comparing Judaism to Islam. Since the flood wiped out the people preceding Noah, its a sure bet that people following him thereafter had a pure line of interest to THE God, and just as sure that we lost our way. To me, the stories of Noah, especially Noah's ark challenges the interpretation of Christian denominations claiming that we are born sinners. I feel a more appropriate way would be to say that we are born into sin, as in sin surrounds us when we are born in all likelihood because like the people of the flood, we have lost our way as a people, but not necessarily as individuals, proven by Noah's direct relationship with God as he was surrounded by ungodliness, and his willingness to attempt to spread the TRUE word of the lord, which at the time had no denominations, because there was only one interpretation and that was through Noah, or possibly other true prophets of the time not recorded. (Regional Flood Theory) Not saying Noah was perfect, but his extremely long life (900+) leads me to believe that while he may have committed sin, he was pretty darn close to what he was supposed to be, at least compared to us and the swim team.

I think under a premise like that, any modern religion surrounding God should humble itself as fundamentally flawed to some extent, because either the religion is wrong, or our interpretation is wrong if we are still ungodly creatures at the end. Furthermore, if we accept that we are imperfect from that point forward, despite God's efforts, there may be no one religion that leads to anything remotely worthy of heaven, unless we have religion derived directly from the divine at a later point in time, which has only shown to help us have better standing and approach perfection.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:04:01 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

The same significance as Revelstion. Once the Earth becomes a complete sespool of violence, greed and immorality, God will wipe it out for lack of usefulness and those that are His can and will survive due to His saving hand alone.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:45:11 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
There probably was a giant flood - at some time in pre-history; not dissimilar to the Tsunami on 26th December, 2004 - the consequence of an earthquake under the sea. Such things happen. The event is mythologized through oral histories, and then incorporated into religious texts. In this context it makes perfect sense that God saves Noah and his family - the virtuous people, relative to the wicked whom God drowned. How else can you tell such a story except in terms of the righteous man who is saved? It makes this awful event a good news story, conveys a moral message - and confirms the awesome power of God as played out through the physics of tectonic plate shift, and water displacement. I imagine the people of Aceh have come up with a few myths of their own since 2004, in order to come to terms with such a devastating event. Theologists can argue over the meanings attached to it, but I believe it describes something that actually happened.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:01:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Noah is a prefigurement of Christ.

The ark symbolizes the Church.

As the ark was was built by Noah so was the Church built by Jesus.

It is by the wood of ark that man was saved physically and it is by the wood of the cross that we are saved spiritually.

Outside of the ark there was no salvation and outside of the Church there is no salvation.

Dry earth was found by the dove, just as there was a dove present after Christ was baptized. The waters made the earth clean again as the waters of baptism cleanse our souls.

There is more, but I'll leave it at that for now...
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 8:04:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

We gonna need a bigger boat.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 11:12:52 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 2:04:00 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 9:32:25 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/3/2016 9:12:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

It disproves christianity as it is scientifically proven the myth of a world wide flood is false. A similar myth is included in scripture of other religions older than Christianity. If the great flood happened mount Everest would have been submerged, where did all the water go?

Don't you think if God was mighty enough to create a Giant Flood that reached to top of Mount Everest, He would have found a way to dissipate the water after it served its purpose. You only use the second part of the argument to refute the first. Even though the bible explains how the water receded. Water still makes up 3/4 of the earths surface and much is stored as Artic ice.

If it simply turned into ice, then even if the ice was flat, it would still be over 29,000 feet thick....above sea level and would cover the highest mountains. That is not including the water below sea level. If it all accumulated at the poles, it would literally reach well into space.

The "God is so mighty" argument is used with literally every religion ever created. How religious people think that argument is ridiculous for other ancient religions but not their own?

Christians ask for non-Christians to prove that the bible isn't true. There is mountains of proof and the creation story is just one.

Global warming is causing a rapid melting of the Artic ice which will cause massive flooding. That does not include the ice caps on Mount Everest. All that water has been in check for thousands of years after the great flood.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:31:53 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/4/2016 2:38:46 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/4/2016 1:50:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 9:23:15 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:23:22 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:18:58 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:08:32 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:43:47 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 4/3/2016 7:24:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/3/2016 2:09:56 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
What is the significance of this story?

Apparently to show that if some people are bad, all people and all animals on the earth will be killed. They must of been pretty bad since god is totally ignoring Isis and Boko Haram.

On a side note, the bible says that the highest mountain peaks were covered with water up to additional 15 cubits. That means if you were standing at what would normally be sea level, you would be 29,000 feet under the surface of the water. The average ocean depth is 12,000 feet. Because of land mass, that means that there had to be at least 4 times the water on this planet then that exists now.

Where did all the water go? How did any land exist in the first place? God works in mysterious ways ;)

Hey, some guys just need to let off some steam. Others, need to unleash massive floods of water. You do what ya gotta do man.
Where did you say the water is?

I didn't, but if you need a little direction over 2/3 or the earth is covered in water. Walk straight and narrow, keep the faith, and you shall find what you seek.

Or learn some science and KNOW that not enough water exists on the planet.

I've had enough of this.

Could we form a mutual agreement? I'd prefer that you stop replying to me, and if you'd like I'll stop replying to you. I'm sure your a swell guy, but I'm not trying to prove anything, and you are always trying to disprove me anyway and it just doesn't cut it for me and every one of our posts has contributed nothing good to either of us to my knowledge.

We don't need to learn some science. Just look at a globe, estimate that the amount of water is less then surface area of the earth, and realize said water will not rise to the top of the tallest mountain. Due to the detailed description of the story beyond religious practicality I have reason to believe there is a decent possibility of a massive recorded flood in the story of Noah's Ark. Due to common sense, I have good reason to believe that if the "world" was ever mentioned it did not mean the entire earth in a time when people didn't know what earth was, and therefore did not mean all the animals of the earth. Due to my limitations, I'm not drawing any crazy unfounded conclusions. In fact I haven't even put a real posts down here yet up to this point. Its just a discussion that I've been reading, and slapping a couple jokes on before I figure out something good to say.

If you want to debate, please go to the debate section. You have one permissible post left in this forum. Then I respectfully ask that you see fit to go elsewhere or stop repeatedly debunking scripture when we aren't on the subject of verification. Please bulproofproof my religious/personal OP'd forums so that we can avoid each other from becoming PO'd in the future. I wish I could communicate well with you, but I can't. Sorry, I don't mind a little criticism, but I'll be talking about something that is merely religiously related, and all I hear out of you is why religion is wrong. I don't care, and I never claimed it was right, so please stop replying or get on topic of what you are replying to. I'd like this to be over with.

To some degree, isn't the validity of the story a relevant discussion?

If I were to start a thread, "what is the significance of Cyclopes giving Zeus lightning", would it be appropriate for someone to question whether the story actually happened in the first place?

Yes, your completely right. I'm just sick of a certain variety of bulproof's posts in particular, and don't want loaded substance free comments like "learn some science" repeatedly directed towards me by the same person over and over in forum after forum nor do I wish to be that person. I didn't mean that towards anyone else. bulproof just had strike 3 for me from past experience. I didn't mean to put anything down or subdue any skepticism of the story. I'm just getting towards my limit with bulproof so I laid it on the line so it doesn't go past my limit. I hope I came across respectfully. I just don't get along with bulproof, and that's just how it is.

Fair enough