Jump to topic:

Christianity stole from other traditions

Comfy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 2:37:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
How do Christians claim that Christianity is "original" when it has clearly stolen so much from other traditions? Jesus was stole from many other religious figures, and many of the events depicted in the Bible were clearly plagiarized from other texts. Anyone else have any opinions/sources on this type of argument against Christianity. I've been using http://exposingchristianity.org... for a source and found if helpful if anyone's interested.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:00:11 PM
At 4/5/2016 2:37:11 PM, Comfy wrote:
How do Christians claim that Christianity is "original" when it has clearly stolen so much from other traditions?

I have not seen any proof for theft. Therefore I don"t think it is reasonable to believe your claim.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:49:37 AM
At 4/5/2016 10:00:11 PM, 12_13 wrote:
How do Christians claim that Christianity is "original" when it has clearly stolen so much from other traditions?

I have not seen any proof for theft. Therefore I don"t think it is reasonable to believe your claim.

http://www.debate.org...
Begin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:32:24 AM
How do Christians claim that Christianity is "original" when it has clearly stolen so much from other traditions? Jesus was stole from many other religious figures, and many of the events depicted in the Bible were clearly plagiarized from other texts. Anyone else have any opinions/sources on this type of argument against Christianity. I've been using http://exposingchristianity.org... for a source and found if helpful if anyone's interested.

Not a text is used, just accusations, in the opening page. Yes, this is "Satan's joy". Accuser.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:56:27 AM

So, lets set the bench mark then. What demonstrations are needed to parallel Jesus to other mythos out there to warrant being convinced that perhaps the Jesus concept was lifted from other religions?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:03:34 PM
At 4/6/2016 11:56:27 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

So, lets set the bench mark then. What demonstrations are needed to parallel Jesus to other mythos out there to warrant being convinced that perhaps the Jesus concept was lifted from other religions?

Every one get a big prize when they die.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:06:05 PM

Let's be honest.
Cultures borrow, meld, incorporate, other cultures.
Christianity is no exception.

We would expect deniers.
"My people invented spaghetti, not yours."

From my understanding, the oldest currently operating organised religion is Hindu.
They borrowed from those who came before.

This isn't an issue about Christianity, or even religion.
It is an issue about assimilation of cultures, and cultural/ethnic pride.

I like spaghetti and I am going to eat it, let the others argue over who invented it.
It does not decrease my enjoyment of spaghetti.
Same with chimichangias.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:11:09 PM
At 4/6/2016 12:06:05 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Let's be honest.
Cultures borrow, meld, incorporate, other cultures.
Christianity is no exception.

We would expect deniers.
"My people invented spaghetti, not yours."

From my understanding, the oldest currently operating organised religion is Hindu.
They borrowed from those who came before.

This isn't an issue about Christianity, or even religion.
It is an issue about assimilation of cultures, and cultural/ethnic pride.

I like spaghetti and I am going to eat it, let the others argue over who invented it.
It does not decrease my enjoyment of spaghetti.
Same with chimichangias.

A make believe god , A book of sorts , A place to worship .
Begin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:29:23 PM

Come on everybody, let's go argue! If you are referring to the RC church, then I would have to agree with you.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 9:39:29 PM

Similar demonstrations that are usually need in court, when someone is judged.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 9:51:51 PM

What aspects of Jesus were stolen?

Please cite the Bible verses and the 'original' you think it was stolen from. Just to be clear the 'original' should predate Jesus.

As for the details to count as a parallel, lets make these 1. Unique not common to majority of the population 2. Similar narratives that a court would call plagarizing
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 9:55:44 PM

False Christianity did, that is true, and that is what makes it false, as well as other things.

The original Christianity, taught by Christ and the Apostles, was simply a continuation of the original worship in a new form under a New Covenant.

However it died out at the end of the 1st century after the last of the Apostles died and the foretold Apostasy took over. Luke 18:8; Luke 17:26-30.

In the mid 19th century, when the Gentile Times were almost up, and Armageddon would eventually follow, there was once again a need for the true faith to be revived so that "The Good News of the Kingdom could be preached n the entire inhabited Earth" Matthew 24:14.

Thus Jehovah once again drew truth seekers to his son's side John 6:44; John 4:23-34 and Christ spent the next few decades teaching them, via the Bible and holy spirit.

It was a slow process with numerous false starts, but by the 1920's they were close enough to the truth to be entrusted with the work that was stretching out in front of them.

However it was not just a slow process, but also a continuing one, and they continue to learn as the light on Jehovah's word grows ever brighter.

Thus Isaiah 54:13,14 is slowly but surely undergoing it's initial fulfilment which will be fully accomplished after Armageddon:

13 And all your sons will be taught by Jehovah,
And the peace of your sons will be abundant.
14 You will be firmly established in righteousness.
You will be far removed from oppression,
You will fear nothing and have no cause for terror,
For it will not come near you.

However false, Apostate Christianity borrowed a number of midwinter festivals from other faiths and called it Christmas

They also borrowed a number of practices from the worship of the fertility Goddess Ishtar, also known as Astarte and called it by a name which is a mere corruption of Ishtar, Easter.

The main things they borrowed from Ishtar's and Astarte's worship were eggs (fertility symbols) and what we now know as hot cross buns.

Yes Apostate Christianity a corrupted and has been for centuries. That is why Christ will destroy it.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:08:35 PM

Christmas and Easter are absolute proof of that fact.

Christmas is a combination of midwinter festivals such as Saturnalia and Natalis Invecti and is well known for their customs.

The name of Easter is a corruption of Ishtar, a fertility Goddess known to the Assyrians as Astarte.

If you get teh chance to go to the British Museum and go down not the Assyrian section you will find, as i did on my last visit there, a wall frieze of a procession to Astarte and in that procession are priests carrying trays of buns with crosses on top. Yes, Hot cross buns have no connection to Christianity at all. That is also why Easter employs fertility symbols such as Easter Eggs ad the Easter Bunny.

Harvest festivals are a copy of festivals to Baal, and Halloween is decidedly pagan.

The formal robes of Priests and Bishops are copies of the robes worn by priests of the god Dagon, a fish god right down to the shiny silvery material which echoes a fishes scales, and the Mitre which represents a fishes open mouth.

Even the idea of the cross was borrowed from faiths that predate Christianity by many centuries. It is a common pagan symbol, in a number of different forms.

The list of things stolen from other religions sometimes seems endless.

Maybe you should swat up on religious history, especially the history of Christianity. I suspect, from your post, that you would find a few surprises hidden away there if you did.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:16:17 PM
Many of these claims have been refuted if one takes the time to look at all the available historical material available.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 10:38:34 PM

Must go and self flagellate...
Begin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:41:54 AM
At 4/6/2016 9:55:44 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

False Christianity did, that is true, and that is what makes it false, as well as other things.

The original Christianity, taught by Christ and the Apostles, was simply a continuation of the original worship in a new form under a New Covenant.

Under a New Covenant? New form? Do tell all.

However it died out at the end of the 1st century after the last of the Apostles died and the foretold Apostasy took over. Luke 18:8; Luke 17:26-30.

In the mid 19th century, when the Gentile Times were almost up, and Armageddon would eventually follow, there was once again a need for the true faith to be revived so that "The Good News of the Kingdom could be preached n the entire inhabited Earth" Matthew 24:14.

Thus Jehovah once again drew truth seekers to his son's side John 6:44; John 4:23-34 and Christ spent the next few decades teaching them, via the Bible and holy spirit.

It was a slow process with numerous false starts, but by the 1920's they were close enough to the truth to be entrusted with the work that was stretching out in front of them.

However it was not just a slow process, but also a continuing one, and they continue to learn as the light on Jehovah's word grows ever brighter.

Thus Isaiah 54:13,14 is slowly but surely undergoing it's initial fulfilment which will be fully accomplished after Armageddon:

However false, Apostate Christianity borrowed a number of midwinter festivals from other faiths and called it Christmas

They also borrowed a number of practices from the worship of the fertility Goddess Ishtar, also known as Astarte and called it by a name which is a mere corruption of Ishtar, Easter.

The main things they borrowed from Ishtar's and Astarte's worship were eggs (fertility symbols) and what we now know as hot cross buns.

Yes Apostate Christianity a corrupted and has been for centuries. That is why Christ will destroy it.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 9:13:16 AM
At 4/7/2016 2:41:54 AM, Begin wrote:
At 4/6/2016 9:55:44 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Under a New Covenant? New form? Do tell all.

Jeremiah 31:33
33 "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares Jehovah. "I will put my law within them, and in their heart I will write it. And I will become their God, and they will become my people."

The New Covenant was formed with a small group of Jews who wished to return to faithful worship of Jehovah. It was formed at what is known as the Last Supper.

The New form of worship is worship according to principle, not law, and it was bought about, or at east begun by Jesus and his teachings were he taught people how to take the principles embedded in the law deep into their heart, as is clearly shown in the Sermon on the Mount as well as other teachings of Christ.

The New Nation aspect is explained by Christ in his illustration of the vineyard found at Luke 20:9-16
9 Then he began to tell the people this illustration: "A man planted a vineyard and leased it to cultivators, and he traveled abroad for a considerable time. 10 In due season he sent a slave to the cultivators so that they would give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. The cultivators, however, sent him away empty-handed, after beating him. 11 But again he sent another slave. That one also they beat and humiliated* and sent away empty-handed. 12 Yet again he sent a third; this one also they wounded and threw out. 13 At this the owner of the vineyard said, "What should I do? I will send my son, the beloved. They will likely respect this one." 14 When the cultivators caught sight of him, they reasoned with one another, saying, "This is the heir. Let us kill him so that the inheritance may become ours." 15 So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What, then, will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16 He will come and kill these cultivators and will give the vineyard to others."
On hearing this, they said: "Never may that happen!"

The "vineyard" was Israel.

The Cultivators were the religious leaders.

The Vines were the people.

The "others" given the responsibility for the vines were those faithful Jews who followed Christ and became the basis of the root stock of the New Nation, the Israel of God Galatians 6:16.

This is explained quite thoroughly in Paul's letter to the Hebrews.

By this means Jehovah remained faithful to Israel, by creating a new Israel from a seed of the few faithful that his son found in Judaism. The new Israel was then expanded to include firstly the Samaritans and then the Gentiles.

The Israel of God in it's revived state has now gone completely global under the care of the revival of that New Nation, the Israel of God, not be be confused with the Satanic counterfeit which arose in 1948 known as Jehovah's Witnesses simply because that is what they are, and what they do.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 9:14:36 AM
At 4/6/2016 10:16:17 PM, rnjs wrote:
Many of these claims have been refuted if one takes the time to look at all the available historical material available.

What claims?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 9:15:26 AM
At 4/6/2016 10:38:34 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Must go and self flagellate...

Another practice stolen from other faiths.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:06:47 PM
At 4/6/2016 9:39:29 PM, 12_13 wrote:

So then, for you, if I were to regale you with various resurrection, rise from the dead, wandering teachers with followers etc before Christ's time, that would convince you that Christendom as a mythos was infact stolen, a twice told tale?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:43:31 PM
At 4/7/2016 2:06:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/6/2016 9:39:29 PM, 12_13 wrote:

So then, for you, if I were to regale you with various resurrection, rise from the dead, wandering teachers with followers etc before Christ's time, that would convince you that Christendom as a mythos was infact stolen, a twice told tale?

No, because it happened before in Israel but on a much smaller scale.

The evidence abut Christ is not contained in miracles, no prophecy foretold that he would do miracles.

It is contained in the prophecies he did fulfil, as laid out in the Hebrew Scriptures, and prophets such as Jeremiah, Isaiah and Daniel, et al.

I believe in Christ because the Bible tells about him long before he was born.

I believe in the Bible because of its prophetic accuracy, as well as historical and scientific accuracy. Some of it's prophecy, which is basically history written before time, is still being fulfilled as we argue about these things and will continue to be fulfilled until all have been, precisely on time.

I believe it also because Genesis 1, though it tells us very little, none the less tells us facts that humanity has taken about 6,000 years to catch up on, things which no human knew until the last century or so.

Any who can't see the accuracy of Genesis 1 simply aren't reading it properly, quite possibly deliberately in many cases.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:27:16 PM
At 4/6/2016 10:08:35 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Maybe you should swat up on religious history, especially the history of Christianity. I suspect, from your post, that you would find a few surprises hidden away there if you did.

Ok, I taught Christianity meant in this what Bible and Jesus teach. After all, Christian originally meant disciple of Jesus and so Christianity should be what is said in the Bible, not doctrines or rituals that some who call themselves Christians have invented or perhaps copied.

However, if Christians have feast at same day as someone else perhaps have had it is not yet proof for that they stole it from others. By what we really have, one could as well claim that the others were the ones who copied. Proving some ancient theft is not so easy.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 8:27:39 PM
At 4/7/2016 2:06:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

That someone has similar story doesn"t prove it was stolen. It could be that there were many similar people with similar experiences also or that the others were actually the ones who stole and now God haters lie about who was first.

But the greatest thing Jesus did was not how he was born, or how he was killed, but what he taught and what his words can do also in our time. No other claimed prejesus has anything similar to say.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 12:39:53 PM
At 4/7/2016 8:27:16 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 4/6/2016 10:08:35 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Ok, I taught Christianity meant in this what Bible and Jesus teach. After all, Christian originally meant disciple of Jesus and so Christianity should be what is said in the Bible, not doctrines or rituals that some who call themselves Christians have invented or perhaps copied.

That is precisely what it should mean, but in all but one case doesn't.

Only Jehovah's Witnesses live by that standard.

However, if Christians have feast at same day as someone else perhaps have had it is not yet proof for that they stole it from others. By what we really have, one could as well claim that the others were the ones who copied. Proving some ancient theft is not so easy.

Most of the others predate Christianity by a very long way.