Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Made up story about John the Baptists birth

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 5:36:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
In the gospel of Luke, an angel appears to Zacharias and tells him that his wife will bear a son, to be called John. What follows is in Luke 1:18-20:

Zacharias said to the angel, "How will I know this for certain? For I am an old man and my wife is advanced in years." The angel answered and said to him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. "And behold, you shall be silent and unable to speak until the day when these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their proper time.

There are many problems with this passage:

1. It appears only in Luke and no other gospel, making it highly likely to be a product of the author"s imagination.
It involves an angel talking to a human in a human language, well outside the bounds of the real world that we inhabit.

2. It involves a complicated dialogue that the author was not present to hear, besides it was written at least 70 years after the event itself (before the author was born),
Although Zacharias asks a reasonable question, the angel destroys his ability to speak for the next nine months.

3. The angel states that the punishment is because Zacharias did not believe his words, but the dialogue indicates that Zacharias was only asking an appropriate clarifying question.

4. This obviously made-up story is contained in one of the four most important books in the Christian Bible. it is a good example demonstrating that the gospel authors were not historians as adjudged by today"s standards, but rather story tellers in the same vein as modern-day fiction writers.