Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why Do You Believe What You Believe?

SolonKR
Posts: 4,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 5:17:14 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Copied and pasted from my reply on another post: cuz I have too much of a headache to type and think right now.
[http://www.debate.org...]

I believe in God because I'm in awe at life and creation - and I believe in Christ's teaching - because I had strayed away from what was morally right to the point that I couldn't get on with living and loving myself and/or others. So when I read Christ's teaching in the Gospel - I felt forgiven and renewed and able to live a morally correct life free from guilt, and able to make amends for what I had done wrong. God allows me my free will - and it's why I don't join an organized religion - but my belief in God is sacred to me.

It wasn't just reading the Gospel - it was an emotional and spiritual experience in a Gospel Tent at a Blues festival across the street from my home - when I was 26 and pregnant with my second son out of wedlock - that affirmed my faith, and where I cleansed from the inside.

I had taken my conversion serious when I accepted Christ at a crisis counseling center early in my pregnancy. I began to read only the Gospel, since I hadn't understood the OT even as a kid. I still didn't feel saved though. It wasn't until there was a annual Gospel and Blues music festival at the park across the street from my home - that I felt saved. Other years I stuck to the Blues tent, but that year 1996, I wandered into the back of the Gospel tent, with my head hung - and trying to hide behind tall people. It had been raining out and the woman who had the lead mic, was speaking passionately about the choir was gonna raise their voices up to the heavens and proclaim his name and remove the clouds, so that the sun could shine.

And I thought within myself, that's a pretty bold claim, what if it doesn't happen and then I lose my new faith. Immediately the singers raised their voices. The most beautiful harmonized soulful voices. And the voices were singing about Love and How God Loves us. It penetrated my soul and I began to weep. tears flowing like a faucet, till the whole front of my dress was drenched with tears. and while i was weeping, this overwhelming calm came over me and it was not tears of sadness - but tears of cleansing, as I stood there recalling how filthy I felt for my sexual promiscuity and God cleansed me from the sin of molestation against me, as well as for the way I responded to sexual pleasure.

So when I walked out of the tent, I felt like a new person! A woman greeted me and embraced me, who could tell my dress was tear drenched. She told me that God loved me - look at the sky, and there wasn't a cloud to be seen. Then she told me to read the Gospel, only the Gospel, not the OT or more of the NT than the Gospel. So I did.

After my redemption - I faced more trials and tribulations than I ever imagined. That was proof to me that God is real, because he preserved my love and new heart in the process of severe trials and tribulations.

This is my some of my history of belief and why I don't try to "convert" atheists, copied and pasted from another post on the same thread.

I believe in moral theists, so much so that a family of atheist neighbors when I was a kid actually made me believe in God more. How you may ask?

I was a kid who went to Catholic grade school who questioned many teachings - even in my young mind - about the OT personality of God - compared to what we learned about Jesus's teaching. Bear in mind that it was a "liberal" Catholic Parish in the inter city of Milwaukee in the 70's, that allowed anyone to attend the school whether they could pay or not, of any race and of any or no religion. My parents were factors in getting the arch diocese to fund it. We also had unorthodox lay teachers - one even taught African Dance. I loved my school.

Some Orthodox parishioners disliked the outspokenness of my parents, and their ideas about allowing anyone to attend the school at the expense of others. Their kids were the meanest on the playground - and used racial slurs and gossiped behind people's back. These were the ones who's parents were rigid.

A family down the block were atheists, and their kids were kind - and stood up to bullies and were not racists. They didn't attend my school and I was shocked when I found out that they were Atheist's cuz in my mind they were the best Christians I had ever known. I figured God must have taught them something in their hearts - even if they didn't know it was God.
uncung
Posts: 3,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:15:42 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I do believe in Islam because it is a logic and a true religion. Thanks God my parents are muslims. If any other else religion that true than Islam then I would follow it.
tarantula
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:26:23 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I was a believer in Christianity as a young person, as it was the faith of my parents. However, when I actually read the Bible in detail, the doubts grew until I completely lost my faith by the time I was 19. I don't miss it.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.
tarantula
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!
janesix
Posts: 3,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 8:56:59 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I believe what I believe because of personal experience and study of comparative mythology and religion.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:15:56 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!

Not in the least, but you are welcome to your opinion since you are in denial about what is really going on.
tarantula
Posts: 863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 10:26:56 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 10:15:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!

Not in the least, but you are welcome to your opinion since you are in denial about what is really going on.

My dear you appear to be the one in denial, LOL!
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 10:50:14 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 10:26:56 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 10:15:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!

Not in the least, but you are welcome to your opinion since you are in denial about what is really going on.

My dear you appear to be the one in denial, LOL!

The one who accepts what is actually happening all around us for what it is, and that is me, is not the one in denial lol.
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 2:10:40 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.
What a wanker.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 2:19:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

If one can only believe that which one has only the preparation for believing, what makes a belief a truth becomes true to you but for another perhaps not. If today a thought crowns its thinking as king and tomorrow finds its mind all the time was only the jester in a court wider than once seen, will it then realized all it ever had was different shades of grey? or will it continue to add self-imposed colors to suit the moment? To think you're" something in a world that is nothing wherein another whom values nothing then becomes everything, I now ask you sir, what would you belive if born a life to live in India?
annanicole
Posts: 19,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 3:15:59 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 10:50:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 10:26:56 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 10:15:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!

Not in the least, but you are welcome to your opinion since you are in denial about what is really going on.

My dear you appear to be the one in denial, LOL!

The one who accepts what is actually happening all around us for what it is, and that is me, is not the one in denial lol.

The LAST thing anybody wants is a Jehovah's Witness "interpreting signs." The pages are past WatchTowers and AWAKES are filled with false interpretations, always "corrected" after nothing happened!

They have always been a doomsday cult built largely around "signs". Voodoo is about as accurate.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 3:50:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 3:15:59 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/9/2016 10:50:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 10:26:56 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 10:15:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:32:55 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

GARBAGE!

Not in the least, but you are welcome to your opinion since you are in denial about what is really going on.

My dear you appear to be the one in denial, LOL!

The one who accepts what is actually happening all around us for what it is, and that is me, is not the one in denial lol.

The LAST thing anybody wants is a Jehovah's Witness "interpreting signs." The pages are past WatchTowers and AWAKES are filled with false interpretations, always "corrected" after nothing happened!

What we want and what Jehovah wants are often two different things.

Yeah, you said it in one word there. "Past". The time will come when you will not want Christ to hold your past against you, maybe you should treat his people as you hope he will treat you?

Of course when that time does arrive it may well be too late for you to benefit of course, but that is entirely up to you.


They have always been a doomsday cult built largely around "signs". Voodoo is about as accurate.

Not in the least.

In fact they are the precise opposite of a doomsday cult since they are there to show people how to escape it.

The Bible, in your terms is a "Doomsday book" where in fact the Bible is a book full of hope, as the JWs wish to show people, and lead them to.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 3:53:13 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 2:19:52 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.


If one can only believe that which one has only the preparation for believing, what makes a belief a truth becomes true to you but for another perhaps not. If today a thought crowns its thinking as king and tomorrow finds its mind all the time was only the jester in a court wider than once seen, will it then realized all it ever had was different shades of grey? or will it continue to add self-imposed colors to suit the moment? To think you're" something in a world that is nothing wherein another whom values nothing then becomes everything, I now ask you sir, what would you belive if born a life to live in India?

Not true.

One can believe anything one chooses to believe.

I decided at an early age that I was living amongst lies (CoE and Baptist), and wanted to find the truth.

Thanks to Jehovah and his son I have done so, although it took about 20 years.

We cannot rely on our background as an excuse. In the end it is solely down to us as individuals.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 4:04:45 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

What evidence are you talking about, scientific evidence or personal evidence where God has made a difference in your life?

Here is what you shared about your personal life on DDO.

You remain divorced and your family ignores you.
You remain disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW elders.
You remain financially strapped, your fund raising attempts all failed.
You are still on medication for your suicidal depressions.
You are now physically handicapped and live on disability assistance.
You haven't been laid in 15 years.
You live alone with a dog.
You turned to Jehovah,but your government handouts are paying your bills.
You are 67 and do not have any employable skills besides being too old to work.
You think jesus was an angel. Everyone knows he was a Jewish carpenters son.
You pray to Jehovah a meaningless name in the English language.
Last we heard you were raising money for a motorcycle because your old one had to be scrapped.
You failed to raise money on Gofundme.com so you could join Imelda after trying for several years.
You joined a free dating service Mingle2.com while still committed to marrying Imelda.

Hard to see the evidence of God in your ungodly life. As for scientific evidence, better scientists than an uneducated suicidal pervert like you have found no evidence of God.
AWSM0055
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 4:16:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Emmarie: Because it made me feel cosy and warm inside

Uncung: Because my parents are Muslims, and it's true

MadCornishBiker: Because all the evidence supports it

Tarantula: STFU

Jansix: Personal experience

MadCornsihBiker: Your in denial

Tarantula: YOUR IN DENIAL

MadcornishBiker: NO YOUR IN DENIAL

Bulproof: Wanker

MasonicSlayer: Well, you know, we are all in denial

Annanicole: LIER

Madcornishbiker: I DONT CARE, ITS IN THE PAST!!! JUST LIKE OUR PEDOPHILA SCANDALS!

Madcornishbiker: Also, NO F*CKING EXCUSES FOR NOT JOINING MY OBVIOUSLY RIGHT RELIGION

Harikrish: You dirty scoundrel

This thread is off to a great start. My bet is on Bulproof, $100. Any other wagers?

[Leaderboard]

1: Bulproof
2: Harikrish
3: Tarantula
4: MadCornishBiker
5: Annanicole
6: MasonicSlayer
7: Jansix
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 5:20:23 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 3:53:13 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 2:19:52 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.


If one can only believe that which one has only the preparation for believing, what makes a belief a truth becomes true to you but for another perhaps not. If today a thought crowns its thinking as king and tomorrow finds its mind all the time was only the jester in a court wider than once seen, will it then realized all it ever had was different shades of grey? or will it continue to add self-imposed colors to suit the moment? To think you're" something in a world that is nothing wherein another whom values nothing then becomes everything, I now ask you sir, what would you belive if born a life to live in India?

Not true.

Not true for you? or not true for me? Will there ever be a plural of understanding that includes we (?) I think, so I think not.

One can believe anything one chooses to believe.

But if choices come from an index of personal biography, and your story is better read than I, I wonder what we'll read and what we'll write after we both die. A seed thinks he is a seed and can be no better. But if that seed dies and becomes now a root while reaching for something better it knows not, what I wonder is what will it write after taking its first breath of air and becomes then a tree(?)

I decided at an early age that I was living amongst lies (CoE and Baptist), and wanted to find the truth.

A lie for a lie and now it's a truth for a truth; you're tearing down your house: the walls, the floors, the ceilings and roof. Congratulations for dismissing one sect of Christianity for alignment with another section of Christianity. Such a bold restoration of thought deserves champagne and ribbons.

Thanks to Jehovah and his son I have done so, although it took about 20 years.

20 years with time standing still and would you bother to know if that's fast or slow?

We cannot rely on our background as an excuse. In the end it is solely down to us as individuals.

I wonder if among an organization an individual can truly exist.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 5:43:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 5:20:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 3:53:13 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 2:19:52 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.


If one can only believe that which one has only the preparation for believing, what makes a belief a truth becomes true to you but for another perhaps not. If today a thought crowns its thinking as king and tomorrow finds its mind all the time was only the jester in a court wider than once seen, will it then realized all it ever had was different shades of grey? or will it continue to add self-imposed colors to suit the moment? To think you're" something in a world that is nothing wherein another whom values nothing then becomes everything, I now ask you sir, what would you belive if born a life to live in India?

Not true.

Not true for you? or not true for me? Will there ever be a plural of understanding that includes we (?) I think, so I think not.

Not true for Jehovah and that's all that matters.


One can believe anything one chooses to believe.

But if choices come from an index of personal biography, and your story is better read than I, I wonder what we'll read and what we'll write after we both die. A seed thinks he is a seed and can be no better. But if that seed dies and becomes now a root while reaching for something better it knows not, what I wonder is what will it write after taking its first breath of air and becomes then a tree(?)

A seed is not sentient. It cannot look around it and see what is happening or choose how to react to it.

Most people take the comfortable choice and "go with the flow" I could see that "the flow" was going in the wrong direction and so didn't want to go with it.

Even as a child I could see that national divisions were all wrong. It was clear to me that al humans are simply that. Humans. I didn't know why it was wrong, but I new it was, I could see not rational or logic in mankind being anything other than united. In the same way I could see no logic in there being more than one real truth, more than one correct morality, set of standards.

I just didn't know what that truth was, what those standards should be, but I was determined to find out.


I decided at an early age that I was living amongst lies (CoE and Baptist), and wanted to find the truth.

A lie for a lie and now it's a truth for a truth; you're tearing down your house: the walls, the floors, the ceilings and roof. Congratulations for dismissing one sect of Christianity for alignment with another section of Christianity. Such a bold restoration of thought deserves champagne and ribbons.

Sarcasm doesn't suit you.

I wasn't tearing down my house, I was looking for God's, and in the meantime "camping" in any one that seemed right, until they proved to be wrong.


Thanks to Jehovah and his son I have done so, although it took about 20 years.

20 years with time standing still and would you bother to know if that's fast or slow?

Oh I wasn't standing still, I was actively searching for the right road. No point in venturing too far down the wrong one.


We cannot rely on our background as an excuse. In the end it is solely down to us as individuals.

I wonder if among an organization an individual can truly exist.

That depends on how extreme your idea of individual is.

A 100% individual is pointless, and has no reason to exist.

However an individual who suborns that part of him which he needs to so that the best can be achieved for all is still an individual at heart, just a cooperative one.

That is precisely what Jehovah is looking for, ones who are individuals but happy to suppress that individuality when it is necessary to do so for the good of all.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 6:34:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I believe what I believe because there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. I suspect other things because I believe evidence may seem to indicate it is reasonable to suspect.

There is an important distinction and one should know the difference.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:35:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 5:43:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 5:20:23 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 3:53:13 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 2:19:52 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.


If one can only believe that which one has only the preparation for believing, what makes a belief a truth becomes true to you but for another perhaps not. If today a thought crowns its thinking as king and tomorrow finds its mind all the time was only the jester in a court wider than once seen, will it then realized all it ever had was different shades of grey? or will it continue to add self-imposed colors to suit the moment? To think you're" something in a world that is nothing wherein another whom values nothing then becomes everything, I now ask you sir, what would you belive if born a life to live in India?

Not true.

Not true for you? or not true for me? Will there ever be a plural of understanding that includes we (?) I think, so I think not.

Not true for Jehovah and that's all that matters.

Yet what matters the most to the Creator is His creation. Likewise what matters most to a mother is her child. If I subscribe to no known religion, will my Creator define me to confine me? Will I become then less than you?

One can believe anything one chooses to believe.

But if choices come from an index of personal biography, and your story is better read than I, I wonder what we'll read and what we'll write after we both die. A seed thinks he is a seed and can be no better. But if that seed dies and becomes now a root while reaching for something better it knows not, what I wonder is what will it write after taking its first breath of air and becomes then a tree(?)

A seed is not sentient. It cannot look around it and see what is happening or choose how to react to it.

So you are not a seed. Are you then an equation living its sum in a world of mathematics that determines its own value?

Most people take the comfortable choice and "go with the flow" I could see that "the flow" was going in the wrong direction and so didn't want to go with it.

The only salmon worth catching some would say, are the ones swimming not for the symbol, but for what the symbol stands for. Do you know what your symbol stands for?

Even as a child I could see that national divisions were all wrong. It was clear to me that al humans are simply that. Humans. I didn't know why it was wrong, but I new it was, I could see not rational or logic in mankind being anything other than united. In the same way I could see no logic in there being more than one real truth, more than one correct morality, set of standards.

I just didn't know what that truth was, what those standards should be, but I was determined to find out.


I decided at an early age that I was living amongst lies (CoE and Baptist), and wanted to find the truth.

A lie for a lie and now it's a truth for a truth; you're tearing down your house: the walls, the floors, the ceilings and roof. Congratulations for dismissing one sect of Christianity for alignment with another section of Christianity. Such a bold restoration of thought deserves champagne and ribbons.

Sarcasm doesn't suit you.

Agreed. But it's the monster inside me that on occasion needs to feed.

I wasn't tearing down my house, I was looking for God's, and in the meantime "camping" in any one that seemed right, until they proved to be wrong.


Thanks to Jehovah and his son I have done so, although it took about 20 years.

20 years with time standing still and would you bother to know if that's fast or slow?

Oh I wasn't standing still, I was actively searching for the right road. No point in venturing too far down the wrong one.


We cannot rely on our background as an excuse. In the end it is solely down to us as individuals.

I wonder if among an organization an individual can truly exist.

That depends on how extreme your idea of individual is.

A 100% individual is pointless, and has no reason to exist.

However an individual who suborns that part of him which he needs to so that the best can be achieved for all is still an individual at heart, just a cooperative one.

That is precisely what Jehovah is looking for, ones who are individuals but happy to suppress that individuality when it is necessary to do so for the good of all.

To know what is good for you is then good for others, it is said that this is genius. But can genius be born in a world so prismatic to Truth? Be careful. Be humble. To know everything is to know you know nothing.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:50:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 7:35:43 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 5:43:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not true for Jehovah and that's all that matters.

Yet what matters the most to the Creator is His creation. Likewise what matters most to a mother is her child. If I subscribe to no known religion, will my Creator define me to confine me? Will I become then less than you?

Not less, just less able to accept Jehovah's wisdom to guide you.

But you are right, it is Jehovah's creation he cares about, not just man, but all of it.

All he asks from us is to do the same, but we do not.

If we truly cared about our fellow man there would be no wars or reasons for wars.

If we truly cared about our fellow man, there would be no starvation.

If we cared about our planet we would not have spent centuries raping it and destroying it.


A seed is not sentient. It cannot look around it and see what is happening or choose how to react to it.

So you are not a seed. Are you then an equation living its sum in a world of mathematics that determines its own value?

No, I am simply a human being trying hard to put the best way to live into my everyday life, as far as is humanly possible in this rotten world. Sometimes with more success, sometimes with less, but always trying.


Most people take the comfortable choice and "go with the flow" I could see that "the flow" was going in the wrong direction and so didn't want to go with it.

The only salmon worth catching some would say, are the ones swimming not for the symbol, but for what the symbol stands for. Do you know what your symbol stands for?

Absolutely.


Sarcasm doesn't suit you.

Agreed. But it's the monster inside me that on occasion needs to feed.

Then subdue the monster. That is part of what we need to do for the sake of others.



That is precisely what Jehovah is looking for, ones who are individuals but happy to suppress that individuality when it is necessary to do so for the good of all.

To know what is good for you is then good for others, it is said that this is genius. But can genius be born in a world so prismatic to Truth? Be careful. Be humble. To know everything is to know you know nothing.

Yes it can, but only if we are happy to be no part of this world, which I am more than happy about.

The only thing we are capable of doing to know what is best for all of creation is to listen to the creator who is the only one who knows.

That is what I do, and I try to persuade others to do so also.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 8:31:48 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 7:50:54 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 7:35:43 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 5:43:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not true for Jehovah and that's all that matters.

Yet what matters the most to the Creator is His creation. Likewise what matters most to a mother is her child. If I subscribe to no known religion, will my Creator define me to confine me? Will I become then less than you?

Not less, just less able to accept Jehovah's wisdom to guide you.

But if I cannot hear the wisdom of this Jehovah that speaks loudly to you, I then in quick time would in nature be something less than what you've become, no?

But you are right, it is Jehovah's creation he cares about, not just man, but all of it.

All he asks from us is to do the same, but we do not.

If we truly cared about our fellow man there would be no wars or reasons for wars.

Have you ever fought in a war?

If we truly cared about our fellow man, there would be no starvation.

If you need food then you need water and you need air - the perfect trifecta for mortal disappointment.

If we cared about our planet we would not have spent centuries raping it and destroying it.

Shakespeare would be so proud. Perhaps your moral compass is better zeroed than a sniper's rifle. If only it could shoot the infidels to Hell (no sarcasm here).

A seed is not sentient. It cannot look around it and see what is happening or choose how to react to it.

So you are not a seed. Are you then an equation living its sum in a world of mathematics that determines its own value?

No, I am simply a human being trying hard to put the best way to live into my everyday life, as far as is humanly possible in this rotten world. Sometimes with more success, sometimes with less, but always trying.

Well said. We try. We fail. We get back up and try and try again until we succeed. And then we try harder.

Most people take the comfortable choice and "go with the flow" I could see that "the flow" was going in the wrong direction and so didn't want to go with it.

The only salmon worth catching some would say, are the ones swimming not for the symbol, but for what the symbol stands for. Do you know what your symbol stands for?

Absolutely.


Sarcasm doesn't suit you.

Agreed. But it's the monster inside me that on occasion needs to feed.

Then subdue the monster. That is part of what we need to do for the sake of others.

Okay. You go first. First remove the log of hypocrisy from your eye. And then I will attempt also the impossible.


That is precisely what Jehovah is looking for, ones who are individuals but happy to suppress that individuality when it is necessary to do so for the good of all.

To know what is good for you is then good for others, it is said that this is genius. But can genius be born in a world so prismatic to Truth? Be careful. Be humble. To know everything is to know you know nothing.

Yes it can, but only if we are happy to be no part of this world, which I am more than happy about.

The only thing we are capable of doing to know what is best for all of creation is to listen to the creator who is the only one who knows.

That is what I do, and I try to persuade others to do so also.

If today persuade someone to forcefully in intension to bend them to your will, will this not come back to bite you? Can anyone skirt around the judicial system of universal karma, all the while staying unscathed?
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 9:49:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 8:31:48 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 7:50:54 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not less, just less able to accept Jehovah's wisdom to guide you.

But if I cannot hear the wisdom of this Jehovah that speaks loudly to you, I then in quick time would in nature be something less than what you've become, no?

It has nothing to do with becoming either more or less, it is simply down to accepting my own limitations and relying on Jehovah to do what he has promised and supplying the extra wisdom I need James 1:5-8.

However, whether any get the sense of what I say is not down to me, it is down to Jehovah, as Paul explained at 1 Corinthians 3:5-9
5 What, then, is Apollos? Yes, what is Paul? Ministers through whom you became believers, just as the Lord granted each one. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow. 8 Now the one who plants and the one who waters are one, but each person will receive his own reward according to his own work. 9 For we are God"s fellow workers. You are God"s field under cultivation, God"s building.

I could do nothing without Jehovah.


But you are right, it is Jehovah's creation he cares about, not just man, but all of it.

All he asks from us is to do the same, but we do not.

If we truly cared about our fellow man there would be no wars or reasons for wars.

Have you ever fought in a war?

No. nor will I because Christians are ordered to be no part of this world, and that includes not taking part in it's internal conflicts, and if you knew the truth you would realise that they are all internal since all governments are under Satan's influence.

Only Satan wants us divided and at each other's throats, Jehovah does not, he wants humanity united under the one government, his.


If we truly cared about our fellow man, there would be no starvation.

If you need food then you need water and you need air - the perfect trifecta for mortal disappointment.

Only because of this Satanically guided system we are forced to live in at present.


If we cared about our planet we would not have spent centuries raping it and destroying it.

Shakespeare would be so proud. Perhaps your moral compass is better zeroed than a sniper's rifle. If only it could shoot the infidels to Hell (no sarcasm here).

That is not my role, nor do I have authority too take it. Jehovah's son will do that when the time is right. My only weapon - the Bible, my shield and armour - faith.

No, I am simply a human being trying hard to put the best way to live into my everyday life, as far as is humanly possible in this rotten world. Sometimes with more success, sometimes with less, but always trying.

Well said. We try. We fail. We get back up and try and try again until we succeed. And then we try harder.

Thank you.


Then subdue the monster. That is part of what we need to do for the sake of others.

Okay. You go first. First remove the log of hypocrisy from your eye. And then I will attempt also the impossible.

There is no hypocrisy in my eye. What I preach I practice to the best of my human ability.

To succeed all the time is, at present, impossible.

To succeed some of the time gets easier with practice and reliance on Jehovah's spirit Galatians 5:21-23.



That is what I do, and I try to persuade others to do so also.

If today persuade someone to forcefully in intension to bend them to your will, will this not come back to bite you? Can anyone skirt around the judicial system of universal karma, all the while staying unscathed?

I do not try to bend anyone t my will, I invite them to bend themselves to Jehovah's. It is down to each individual to convert themselves, I can only show them how.

There is no such thing as Universal Karma. We reap as we sow, but the harvest may be a long time off, and we have the opportunity to take out the weeds as it matures. That way we can improve our harvest for when the reaper comes to asses it.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 9:56:19 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:26:23 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I was a believer in Christianity as a young person, as it was the faith of my parents. However, when I actually read the Bible in detail, the doubts grew until I completely lost my faith by the time I was 19. I don't miss it.

If you see the spider catching the fly, and you say look at this as this is survival of the fittest, did the schoolyard bully still beat the brain at the 20-year class reunion? What if in the end it's the fly consuming the spider as compassion outrunning always in distance against agression where to, to love takes greater strength than to hate. As we hate the things we cannot understand, round and round the perpetual conflict revolves therein to each the good compared to the bad we see in others, is this now the mirror of inner reflection of ourselves. And take then with blinders to protect ourselves from the perils of evil we see only unto others, we then put ourselves further into the darkness of misunderstandings. But hoot like an owl and let us pretend we can still see.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:18:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/9/2016 9:49:00 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/9/2016 8:31:48 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 4/9/2016 7:50:54 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not less, just less able to accept Jehovah's wisdom to guide you.

But if I cannot hear the wisdom of this Jehovah that speaks loudly to you, I then in quick time would in nature be something less than what you've become, no?

It has nothing to do with becoming either more or less, it is simply down to accepting my own limitations and relying on Jehovah to do what he has promised and supplying the extra wisdom I need James 1:5-8.

However, whether any get the sense of what I say is not down to me, it is down to Jehovah, as Paul explained at 1 Corinthians 3:5-9
5 What, then, is Apollos? Yes, what is Paul? Ministers through whom you became believers, just as the Lord granted each one. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow. 8 Now the one who plants and the one who waters are one, but each person will receive his own reward according to his own work. 9 For we are God"s fellow workers. You are God"s field under cultivation, God"s building.

If I am Gods cultivation then judge not His crop.

I could do nothing without Jehovah.

But what if His wish is for you to one day stand tall without His crutches?

But you are right, it is Jehovah's creation he cares about, not just man, but all of it.

All he asks from us is to do the same, but we do not.

If we truly cared about our fellow man there would be no wars or reasons for wars.

Have you ever fought in a war?

No. nor will I because Christians are ordered to be no part of this world, and that includes not taking part in it's internal conflicts, and if you knew the truth you would realise that they are all internal since all governments are under Satan's influence.

Can good be properly defined without first knowing what's bad?

Only Satan wants us divided and at each other's throats, Jehovah does not, he wants humanity united under the one government, his.

I thought God wanted humanity to sparse the four corners of the planet instead of after the flood wherein again humanity congregated together in Babylon, showing arrogance with building the tower of Babel under one law with one language. So divide the tongue and run Forest run we did.

If we truly cared about our fellow man, there would be no starvation.

If you need food then you need water and you need air - the perfect trifecta for mortal disappointment.

Only because of this Satanically guided system we are forced to live in at present.


If we cared about our planet we would not have spent centuries raping it and destroying it.

Shakespeare would be so proud. Perhaps your moral compass is better zeroed than a sniper's rifle. If only it could shoot the infidels to Hell (no sarcasm here).

That is not my role, nor do I have authority too take it. Jehovah's son will do that when the time is right. My only weapon - the Bible, my shield and armour - faith.


No, I am simply a human being trying hard to put the best way to live into my everyday life, as far as is humanly possible in this rotten world. Sometimes with more success, sometimes with less, but always trying.

Well said. We try. We fail. We get back up and try and try again until we succeed. And then we try harder.

Thank you.


Then subdue the monster. That is part of what we need to do for the sake of others.

Okay. You go first. First remove the log of hypocrisy from your eye. And then I will attempt also the impossible.

There is no hypocrisy in my eye. What I preach I practice to the best of my human ability.

To succeed all the time is, at present, impossible.

So it's like with here we're sorta saying the same thing.

To succeed some of the time gets easier with practice and reliance on Jehovah's spirit Galatians 5:21-23.



That is what I do, and I try to persuade others to do so also.

If today persuade someone to forcefully in intension to bend them to your will, will this not come back to bite you? Can anyone skirt around the judicial system of universal karma, all the while staying unscathed?

I do not try to bend anyone t my will, I invite them to bend themselves to Jehovah's. It is down to each individual to convert themselves, I can only show them how.

There is no such thing as Universal Karma. We reap as we sow, but the harvest may be a long time off, and we have the opportunity to take out the weeds as it matures. That way we can improve our harvest for when the reaper comes to asses it.

We reap what we sow, correct. For some reason I thought that was called karma. I'd hate to pull a weed before it matures. You never know, it might turn out to be something of beauty. I mean who can say? Who can be the judge? I can't tell the difference between a tare from the wheat before harvest, but I'm no farmer. But have you seen how pretty ornamental grasses can be once they bloom? At first they look ugly but wait and wait and then it's like wow...how amazing are you. Patience is a virtue
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:28:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I believe what I believe to be an accumulation of events with its sum total of experiences never ending. So I believe to believe in something perhaps for the moment is in necessity, where for truth or for repose take what you will but the will for curiosity can never take both. We will always be what's been shown to me, we will be always our worst enemy. How deep one's dark rabbit hole goes is nobody knows but you. Everyday the sun shines bright. Pierce through the clouds and you'll know what's right from what's wrong. Who's good and who's bad and who can say (?) Trust instinct over emotion and don't listen to me. What's right for me may well be what's wrong for the moment for you. If we all have a purpose we should all walk our own way. In the end there can be no better way than to know there is always another way, another level and high and higher, the stairways to Heaven are infinite in steps. Perhaps we don't go to Heaven but grow to Heaven we must; this is our destiny.
bamiller43
Posts: 201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:39:55 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

I was raised in Christianity, and i practiced that for a good while, until i got into college. I've taken a religious studies course that has really opened my eyes to the different belief systems that exist. And my thought was "why should any of them go to hell because they don't believe what my book says? Especially if they've never heard its words." Then from there it went "how do i know what i believe is right? How do i know this Jesus guy wasn't just a cool guy who got some weird stories made up about him? or how do we know he wasn't just lying?". So at this point, all i have accepted is that God is real. I'm not sure if it's out of a certain kind of knowledge of his presence, or if it's because i am simply too afraid to let go of the idea of it. Either way, that is what i believe. so far.
bamiller43
Posts: 201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:44:26 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 1:31:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:37:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Belief systems don't exist in a vacuum. What we believe is often shaped by our societies, our families, major life events, and more. It affects the ways we interpret any religion ourselves, as evidenced by the endless number of varying sects, translations of holy books, and so on.

So, what makes you believe (or not) in what you believe (or don't)?

Because all the evidence points to the truth of what I believe.

If you claim evidence, i think wed all appreciate it if you provided it.