Jump to topic:

does Quran prohibit POLYANDRY

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 10:56:51 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I mean woman having multiple husbands. is it prohibited in the quran? polygyny is allowed up to 4 wives (ok, agree it is like a privilege, in certain conditions no arguement for that. dont start apologetics on this matter, please). Considering what is not prohibited is allowed, if it is not prohibited in the quran, can we say it is allowed? I saw many muslims who say "bible does not prohibit or limit having multiple wives, so in bible it is allowed more tha it is allpwed in the quran".

if it is prohibited, please share the verse. Verily I say unto you, this thread is not to argue but to learn. Thou shall not start a debate here. Thou shall not take it as an offense.woe to them who starts arguing here.

btw, if christians or people who think polygyny/polygamy is prohibited in the bible, you are wellcome to write here.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:59:12 AM
At 4/9/2016 10:56:51 AM, Artur wrote:
I mean woman having multiple husbands. is it prohibited in the quran? polygyny is allowed up to 4 wives (ok, agree it is like a privilege, in certain conditions no arguement for that. dont start apologetics on this matter, please). Considering what is not prohibited is allowed, if it is not prohibited in the quran, can we say it is allowed? I saw many muslims who say "bible does not prohibit or limit having multiple wives, so in bible it is allowed more tha it is allpwed in the quran".

if it is prohibited, please share the verse. Verily I say unto you, this thread is not to argue but to learn. Thou shall not start a debate here. Thou shall not take it as an offense.woe to them who starts arguing here.

btw, if christians or people who think polygyny/polygamy is prohibited in the bible, you are wellcome to write here.

Poliandry is prohibited in Islam base on the Quran surah Annisa 24.
"And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess."

IN this case muslim women are not allowed to have more than one husbands.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:34:46 PM
At 4/9/2016 11:59:12 AM, uncung wrote:

"And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess."

hmm, I think it is sufficient. I now read the verse. more than forbiding women to have multiple husbands, the verse prohibits men from having married women or marrying married women. so, for a muslim man it is haram to marry a woman who is married to one another at the time.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:32:37 PM

oh, I changed my thought. it does not prohibit poliandry for a muslim woman. it prohibits muslim men from marrying a woman who is married someone else at the moment. BUT:

let us say Jane is a muslim woman, she is married to an atheist guy, John. now, her husband allows/accepts her to have a second husband and Jane wants it too. so, she gets married to his second husband who is from India and who is a practicant of polyandry. his name is Anish let us say. now, Jane is married to two guys at once: John and Anish.

in this case Surah Annisa 24 does not apply to Jane since that verse prohibits men to marry a woman who is married, the verse you quoted does not refer to Jane or any other muslim woman.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:39:55 PM
At 4/9/2016 1:32:37 PM, Artur wrote:

oh, I changed my thought. it does not prohibit poliandry for a muslim woman. it prohibits muslim men from marrying a woman who is married someone else at the moment. BUT:

let us say Jane is a muslim woman, she is married to an atheist guy, John. now, her husband allows/accepts her to have a second husband and Jane wants it too. so, she gets married to his second husband who is from India and who is a practicant of polyandry. his name is Anish let us say. now, Jane is married to two guys at once: John and Anish.

in this case Surah Annisa 24 does not apply to Jane since that verse prohibits men to marry a woman who is married, the verse you quoted does not refer to Jane or any other muslim woman.

to be more clear: the verse you quoted says nothing on prohibiting women from doing so. it jusy says prohinits men from doing so, about women: nothing is told on that verse and hence that verse does not apply to the example I have. it does not apply to kind of polyandry in which muslim woman is getting married to multiple non-muslims as log as none of them is a muslim.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 2:27:56 PM

But muslims women are not allowed to marry non muslims either. If she married an atheist guy then she definitely violates the Islamic rule to begin with.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 2:30:34 PM
At 4/9/2016 1:39:55 PM, Artur wrote:

to be more clear: the verse you quoted says nothing on prohibiting women from doing so. it jusy says prohinits men from doing so, about women: nothing is told on that verse and hence that verse does not apply to the example I have. it does not apply to kind of polyandry in which muslim woman is getting married to multiple non-muslims as log as none of them is a muslim.

But muslim men are not allowed to marry the married women as per Quran. so how could the women has muslim husbands in one time without violating the islamic rule?
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 3:26:08 PM
hmm, I did not know muslim women were prohibited from marrying nonmuslims. does the quran prohibit it? if so, reference please.

p.s: this thread is about quran only, not islam. meaning, use only quran here not hadiths or interpretations of some people.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 11:30:00 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
But muslims women are not allowed to marry non muslims either. If she married an atheist guy then she definitely violates the Islamic rule to begin with.

what is the source for that from the quran? if that isnt forbidden in the quran do not say "no muslim sect allows it" or dont say "we do not allow" since this thread is about the quran. moreoever, you are not islam, just because you do something in a certain way does not mean that is how to be done in Islam. is that forbidden in the quran?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 12:07:25 AM
At 4/9/2016 3:26:08 PM, Artur wrote:
hmm, I did not know muslim women were prohibited from marrying nonmuslims. does the quran prohibit it? if so, reference please.

p.s: this thread is about quran only, not islam. meaning, use only quran here not hadiths or interpretations of some people.

Yes it prohibited by Quran.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 12:11:50 PM
At 4/19/2016 12:07:25 AM, uncung wrote:

reference please
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 12:57:59 PM
At 4/20/2016 12:11:50 PM, Artur wrote:
At 4/19/2016 12:07:25 AM, uncung wrote:

reference please

"They (muslim women) are not lawful (wives) for the Unbelievers, nor are the (Unbelievers) lawful (husbands) for them."
Al Quran 60 : 10
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:01:59 PM
"Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: a man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allure you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of Bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: that they receive admonition (221)"

Quran 2 : 221
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 9:51:31 AM
ok, then as of now no arguement. thank you