Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 6:45:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Where does the evidence lead?

James Gates, Science Adviser to the U.S. President-

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:06:24 PM
At 4/9/2016 6:45:20 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Hmmm, let's see...

Sociologically, we know there are some 4,200 extant faiths in the world, made up of hundreds of thousands of sects, none able to agree with one another on the traditions and beliefs humans ought to live by -- and thousands more faiths and creeds extinguished without consequence despite being convinced they too were right.

Physically we know that no religious tradition has ever been able to predict anything significant, specific and fundamental about astronomy, geology, biology, physics or medicine with any accuracy, and that almost all are wildly wrong on these critical topics.

Psychologically we know that religion is no better than irreligion in producing tolerant, stable, dignified, law-abiding, compassionate humans with respect for their fellow man.

Demographically, we know that religion is learned from the society you're born into, with people adopting the religion of their family around 70% of the time in pluralist societies, and nearly 100% of the time in societies where one major faith dominates. So people are adopting faith based on tradition and instruction rather than evidence.

And we also know that no faith has routinely been able to produce specific, significant, repeatable miracles or other wonders under clinical conditions, and that their wonders and prophecies are all either outright false, or so vague as to be unfalsifiable.

So overwhelmingly, the evidence leads us to the conclusions that religion:
1) is sustained by tradition, rather than evidence;
2) has no intrinsic, practical benefit to humanity -- any benefits appearing incidental and replaceable;
3) Is not knowledge, and should not be treated a priori as such; and
4) is better explained by sociopsychology than by any supposition that it is true.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:20:45 PM
At 4/9/2016 7:06:24 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Hmmm, let's see...

Sociologically, we know there are some 4,200 extant faiths in the world, made up of hundreds of thousands of sects, none able to agree with one another on the traditions and beliefs humans ought to live by -- and thousands more faiths and creeds extinguished without consequence despite being convinced they too were right.

Im actually curious, what is the suggested implication youd like to share?

Physically we know that no religious tradition has ever been able to predict anything significant, specific and fundamental about astronomy, geology, biology, physics or medicine with any accuracy, and that almost all are wildly wrong on these critical topics.
Your 100% right however dont mistake that Gods prophets havent predicted events. Its funny you say something like this when in Christians and Jews have a set of books that literally predict things.

Psychologically we know that religion is no better than irreligion in producing tolerant, stable, dignified, law-abiding, compassionate humans with respect for their fellow man.
This is only because man was made in the image of God.

Demographically, we know that religion is learned from the society you're born into, with people adopting the religion of their family around 70% of the time in pluralist societies,
Can you give an instance where majority belief equates to truth? You can even use the history of our sciences.
and nearly 100% of the time in societies where one major faith dominates. So people are adopting faith based on tradition and instruction rather than evidence.
While I know saying something perposterous like nearly 100% of the time is just silly, what compels the minority to switch? I think your confusing institutional Christianity with Christianity.

And we also know that no faith has routinely been able to produce specific, significant, repeatable miracles or other wonders under clinical conditions, and that their wonders and prophecies are all either outright false, or so vague as to be unfalsifiable.
They obviously were not to the authors of the texts that wrote about them and Im fairly certain eyewitnesses to a literal working of God wouldnt be convinced otherwise.

For if Christ never rose, eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!
2) has no intrinsic, practical benefit to humanity -- any benefits appearing incidental and replaceable;
Im sorry are you referring to androids or biological spirtual humans?
You dont find wisdom of life in books like psalms or proverbs?
4) is better explained by sociopsychology than by any supposition that it is true
I think if you look at reality rather than positing these other undocumented forces you might finally get somewhere
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:22:14 PM

James Gates, Science Adviser to the U.S. President-

Brontoraptor

I'm waiting on your 5 words and youtube snippet . In response to RuvDraba claims.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:40:53 PM
Hmmm, let's see...

Demographically, we know that religion is learned from the society you're born into, with people adopting the religion of their family around 70% of the time in pluralist societies, and nearly 100% of the time in societies where one major faith dominates. So people are adopting faith based on tradition and instruction rather than evidence.

4) is better explained by sociopsychology than by any supposition that it is true.

We also know that 90% of the theistic world is of an Abrahamic faith. Science is the study of the natural. Religion is the simple study of the supernatural.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:43:19 PM
Hmmm, let's see...

You missed my prophecy threads and debates. It is simple to see which is true. Atheists don't look to see. It's really very simple.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:50:45 PM
Hmmm, let's see...

Of course it is passed on and inherited. Just as the Bible declared. It made a split at Abraham. He had 2 sons. God declared both sons' sedd would rule the earth in numbers. The divide was set then. His sons were Isaac and Zishmael. From Isaac we got Israel, then Jesus,then Christians. From Ishmael we got Islam, Muhammed, Muslims.

TheBible declared that Isaac's seed would bless the world and be free. Ishmael's seed would be violent in nature, with their hand against their neighbor and each other. And thus it is today. In the story Ishmael himself wanted to kill Isaac. Thousands of years later, it's split just as it said.

It said Ishmael's seed would be slaves until the very end. And how do they refer to themselves? The slaves of Allah.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:51:10 PM
At 4/9/2016 7:43:19 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Overwhelmingly, the evidence leads us to the conclusions that religion:

You missed my prophecy threads and debates. It is simple to see which is true.

I didn't miss them, Bronto. I just don't respect your methods for interpreting ancient scripture and evaluating accuracy. I also believe it's not constructive to criticise your methods because you're too invested in your own correctness to question whether you're doing the best you can. Essentially I'd be wasting my time and causing you stress and frustration, without any hope of you learning methods and disciplines that I think you should have learned years ago.

At 4/9/2016 7:40:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
We also know that 90% of the theistic world is of an Abrahamic faith.
Though that wasn't always true, was it? And when we ask how that changed, it's not pretty.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 7:53:39 PM
At 4/9/2016 7:50:45 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Of course it is passed on and inherited. Just as the Bible declared.
So you're not really arguing that atheists don't follow the evidence. You're arguing that atheists don't follow the contorted apologetics of Christian fundamentalism.

And in my case at least, you'd be right. I don't follow it at all.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 8:01:01 PM
At 4/9/2016 7:51:10 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I didn't miss them, Bronto. I just don't respect your methods for interpreting ancient scripture and evaluating accuracy. I also believe it's not constructive to criticise your methods because you're too invested in your own correctness to question whether you're doing the best you can. Essentially I'd be wasting my time and causing you stress and frustration, without any hope of you learning methods and disciplines that I think you should have learned years ago.

Though that wasn't always true, was it? And when we ask how that changed, it's not pretty.

It actually is. Have you studied these religions. They were all worshipping the same things by different names. The Bible depicted the finslity would be between Isaac and Ishmael. And here we are. Buhdism is nontheistic. Hinduism is dying out and being replaced rapidly by Islam. That leaves Judaism, Christianity, and Islam just as was fortold.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 10:53:31 PM
At 4/9/2016 8:01:01 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It actually is. Have you studied these religions.
By 'these religions' you mean the pre-Christian beliefs across Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, the Americas and the Near East?

Yes I have. Ancient myths and rituals have been a lifelong interest of mine.

They were all worshiping the same things by different names.
No, they really weren't. If you're ignorant enough to think that because the sky is physically the same everywhere, all sky gods are the same culturally, then it just means you need to read more.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:08:32 PM
At 4/9/2016 10:53:31 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 4/9/2016 8:01:01 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It actually is. Have you studied these religions.
By 'these religions' you mean the pre-Christian beliefs across Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, the Americas and the Near East?

Yes I have. Ancient myths and rituals have been a lifelong interest of mine.

They were all worshiping the same things by different names.
No, they really weren't. If you're ignorant enough to think that because the sky is physically the same everywhere, all sky gods are the same culturally, then it just means you need to read more.

They were recycled. Isis was Diaana and about a 100 other godesses.

Nevertheless, it's irrelevant. The Bible speaks of other "gods". The common denominator demon god that continually angered the actual god of Abraham was Satan, who became Baal, who became Allah.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:09:10 PM
In the Bible Satan is referred to as "The god of this world".

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:11:04 PM
How did people draw God's wrath in the Old Testament? By bowing to the Babylonian Demon god Baal and kissing his image.

Yet I will preserve 7,000 others in Israel who have never bowed down to Baal or kissed him."
(1 Kings 19:18)

Islam's Kaaba was a Babylonian temple prior to Islam. The black stone is bowed to and kissed.

Kissing the stone.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:16:44 PM
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

2 Corinthians 2:4