Jump to topic:

What is the point of religion?

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 1:47:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I have asked this question before, but make no apology for asking it again.

Unless having a faith makes you a better person what is the point of it? Christianity is the faith of which I know most about, having been unfortunate enough to have been a 'born again' as a young person. Although I have known some very good, decent Christians, I have known many of whom Satan would be proud, if he exists. The more fundamentalist a Christian is, the more likely they are to be unpleasant. I have posted on many forums in my 66 years on this planet and speak from experience!

I have been shocked by the bigoted comments made about homosexuals, by some of these nasty people, and often racist comments are made as well. For all we know that guy Jesus could have been gay, having a disciple whom he loved, and he certainly wouldn't have been Caucasian in appearance.

I am so very grateful I am a Brit living in the UK where religion doesn't play a part in our politics, unlike the US. I hope to goodness the ghastly republican party, which seems to thrive on fundamentalist Christianity, doesn't provide the next President. Trump appears to be mentally deranged, and would be a danger to the world, worse than Putin, imo!

Over the centuries religion seems to bring out the worst in people, Christianity and Islam being the main offenders.
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:16:22 PM
There's the original function which would be to bind a group together, provide some leadership and attempt to explain the world in a way that people could understand. It's probably an evolutionary trait.

Nowadays it provides some degree of the first two whilst failing miserably at the third.

The problem is that - as you point out - some religions make liitle attempt to relate to the morals of today rather than of 2000 or 1400 years ago, so creating the tensions which we see. Some do adjust, like the Anglicans.

The other problem is that organised religion is a power structure and provides the leaders with power, influence and sometimes money and so is attractive for those reasons.

Of course, if you're brought up with a religious childhood, and your friends, family and work colleagues are all of the same religion, it's self-propogating
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 2:18:22 PM
At 4/10/2016 2:16:22 PM, Daedal wrote:
There's the original function which would be to bind a group together, provide some leadership and attempt to explain the world in a way that people could understand. It's probably an evolutionary trait.

Nowadays it provides some degree of the first two whilst failing miserably at the third.

The problem is that - as you point out - some religions make liitle attempt to relate to the morals of today rather than of 2000 or 1400 years ago, so creating the tensions which we see. Some do adjust, like the Anglicans.

The other problem is that organised religion is a power structure and provides the leaders with power, influence and sometimes money and so is attractive for those reasons.

Of course, if you're brought up with a religious childhood, and your friends, family and work colleagues are all of the same religion, it's self-propogating

I am so very glad I lost my faith by the time I married at the age of 19.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:09:00 PM
At 4/10/2016 1:47:38 PM, tarantula wrote:

Unless having a faith makes you a better person what is the point of it? Christianity is the faith of which I know most about, having been unfortunate enough to have been a 'born again' as a young person. Although I have known some very good, decent Christians, I have known many of whom Satan would be proud, if he exists. The more fundamentalist a Christian is, the more likely they are to be unpleasant. I have posted on many forums in my 66 years on this planet and speak from experience!

I have been shocked by the bigoted comments made about homosexuals, by some of these nasty people, and often racist comments are made as well. For all we know that guy Jesus could have been gay, having a disciple whom he loved, and he certainly wouldn't have been Caucasian in appearance.

I am so very grateful I am a Brit living in the UK where religion doesn't play a part in our politics, unlike the US. I hope to goodness the ghastly republican party, which seems to thrive on fundamentalist Christianity, doesn't provide the next President. Trump appears to be mentally deranged, and would be a danger to the world, worse than Putin, imo!

Over the centuries religion seems to bring out the worst in people, Christianity and Islam being the main offenders.

I suggest you to learn Islam. The point of true religion is to deliver us to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:44:13 PM
At 4/10/2016 3:01:43 PM, Daedal wrote:
Your children will be, too.

We allowed out kids to decide for themselves and all three are Christians, but good people and every moderate in their beliefs.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:45:13 PM
At 4/10/2016 3:09:00 PM, uncung wrote:

I suggest you to learn Islam. The point of true religion is to deliver us to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

How awful, I have no interest in either!
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:45:27 PM
Muslims believe Islam is the one true religion, Christians that it is Christianity, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and every other religion believe they follow the one true religion. They can't all be right....
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:51:20 PM

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 3:58:35 PM
At 4/10/2016 3:45:13 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 4/10/2016 3:09:00 PM, uncung wrote:

How awful, I have no interest in either!

As long as you don't need salvation and paradise then you may reject Islam.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 4:08:50 PM

Your confusing organized religion and authority with actual christianity. The whole point is that under Christianity your free, you take on a new way of life not bound by rituals or traditions.

Ah your one of those people that like to pander to less than 1% of people and enforce your own dogma on everyone else. Your no different saying this than the people you mentioned in the above paragraph.
To the whole homosexual thing, im curious that you seem so quick to condemn a group of people for disagreeing with you and then labling those that disagree with homosexual practices racist.

Im not sure why you see a need to interject your way of life into the ways of life for others if thats what you essentially were complaining about in the first place.

Oh really? So the ww2 era went completely over your head?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:02:09 PM
At 4/10/2016 4:08:50 PM, bigotry wrote:

Your confusing organized religion and authority with actual christianity. The whole point is that under Christianity your free, you take on a new way of life not bound by rituals or traditions.

Ah your one of those people that like to pander to less than 1% of people and enforce your own dogma on everyone else. Your no different saying this than the people you mentioned in the above paragraph.
To the whole homosexual thing, im curious that you seem so quick to condemn a group of people for disagreeing with you and then labling those that disagree with homosexual practices racist.

Im not sure why you see a need to interject your way of life into the ways of life for others if thats what you essentially were complaining about in the first place.

Christianity is just as much a religion as all the others. It can be very abusive, when fundies spout the evil, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell, stupidity!
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:11:49 PM
At 4/10/2016 5:02:09 PM, tarantula wrote:

Christianity is just as much a religion as all the others. It can be very abusive, when fundies spout the evil, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell, stupidity!
If its a reality dont you think it important to wake people up to it? Do you think its ok to spread a stop smoking campaign because studies show it leads to cancer?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:41:14 PM
At 4/10/2016 5:11:49 PM, bigotry wrote:

If its a reality dont you think it important to wake people up to it?

If it was reality, we would all know it because we all share reality equally.

Do you think its ok to spread a stop smoking campaign because studies show it leads to cancer?

I can observe a smoker smoking, i can understand the chemicals contained in what they're smoking and the potential harm those chemicals can have on the human body.

And, your God is where, exactly?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:56:50 PM
At 4/10/2016 5:41:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Exactly. Everyone will also share the same reality after death which is what was being talked about in the first place.

Do you think its ok to spread a stop smoking campaign because studies show it leads to cancer?

I can observe a smoker smoking, i can understand the chemicals contained in what they're smoking and the potential harm those chemicals can have on the human body.
Sure you can but there are smokers that dont believe it. They have people in their families that smoked all their lives and never got it. But you dix prove my point. You think its important because YOU know without any doubt it equals auto cancer. Its the same for the Christian. THEY know without a doubt hell fire awaits those who dont turn their lives over to Christ. Its the only reason anyone bothers sharing the gospel. Other wise theres no point in sharing anything

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:06:55 PM
At 4/10/2016 5:56:50 PM, bigotry wrote:

Exactly. Everyone will also share the same reality after death which is what was being talked about in the first place.

The reality of death is death, this is what we all know and share. The reality of Christianity is not a reality because we don't all share it.

Sure you can but there are smokers that dont believe it.

Yes, but we can actually observe them smoking, huge difference between that and your God.

They have people in their families that smoked all their lives and never got it. But you dix prove my point. You think its important because YOU know without any doubt it equals auto cancer. Its the same for the Christian. THEY know without a doubt hell fire awaits those who dont turn their lives over to Christ. Its the only reason anyone bothers sharing the gospel. Other wise theres no point in sharing anything

No, Christians don't know without a doubt, they believe without a doubt as knowing would be reality, which we all share. You appear not to understand the difference between knowing and believing.

So, where is your God that I may observe him?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:20:45 PM
At 4/10/2016 6:06:55 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/10/2016 5:56:50 PM, bigotry wrote:

The reality of death is death, this is what we all know and share. The reality of Christianity is not a reality because we don't all share it.
Not true at all. Ever heard of people being dead and resusitated? There have been people who have done 180s from various metaphysical experiences. So no we dont all share your "reality"

Sure you can but there are smokers that dont believe it.

Yes, but we can actually observe them smoking, huge difference between that and your God.
Yes but you cant observe the cancer forming directly from smoke inhilation...

They have people in their families that smoked all their lives and never got it. But you dix prove my point. You think its important because YOU know without any doubt it equals auto cancer. Its the same for the Christian. THEY know without a doubt hell fire awaits those who dont turn their lives over to Christ. Its the only reason anyone bothers sharing the gospel. Other wise theres no point in sharing anything

No, Christians don't know without a doubt, they believe without a doubt as knowing would be reality, which we all share. You appear not to understand the difference between knowing and believing.

I dont think so. To know something is to be convinced to a point of fact and to believe in the way you put it is to guess at an unknown or unrightly assume something. As I mentioned before about people who died and had an experience with God or an afterlife in general, they know probably more than me!

So, where is your God that I may observe him?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:42:09 PM
At 4/10/2016 6:20:45 PM, bigotry wrote:
Not true at all. Ever heard of people being dead and resusitated?

LOL. Yes, they rose from the grave and they eat our brains.

There have been people who have done 180s from various metaphysical experiences. So no we dont all share your "reality"

LOL. And, that is complete bullsh1t.

"Comedian George Burns is not only a living legend, he's living proof that smoking between 10 and 15 cigars a day for 70 years contributes to one's longevity."

http://www.cigaraficionado.com...

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

I dont think so. To know something is to be convinced to a point of fact and to believe in the way you put it is to guess at an unknown or unrightly assume something. As I mentioned before about people who died and had an experience with God or an afterlife in general, they know probably more than me!

They are obviously lying.

So, where is your God that I may observe him? Funny, how you keep avoiding this question, yet you talk as if God was part of reality.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:55:30 PM
At 4/10/2016 6:42:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

There have been people who have done 180s from various metaphysical experiences. So no we dont all share your "reality"

"Comedian George Burns is not only a living legend, he's living proof that smoking between 10 and 15 cigars a day for 70 years contributes to one's longevity."

Thats exactly my point though...

Thats realy all you had to say. If you dont find it credible then there isnt anything else to discuss.
So, where is your God that I may observe him? Funny, how you keep avoiding this question, yet you talk as if God was part of reality.
Oh no no no, I didnt see it at all. But if you want to observe him seek him out with an honest and open heart. Youll find him no doubt in my mind.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:00:34 PM
At 4/10/2016 6:55:30 PM, bigotry wrote:

Really? Even though you were claiming something completely different?

Thats realy all you had to say. If you dont find it credible then there isnt anything else to discuss.

Of course, it isn't credible as it completely ignores the trauma undergone by the brain. Only a complete fool would ever believe such nonsense.

Oh no no no, I didnt see it at all. But if you want to observe him seek him out with an honest and open heart. Youll find him no doubt in my mind.

LOL. Yes, tell us another one of your fairy tales.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:07:07 PM
At 4/10/2016 7:00:34 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Of course, it isn't credible as it completely ignores the trauma undergone by the brain. Only a complete fool would ever believe such nonsense.

Do it, make an honest attempt at it and see what your experience is.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:12:44 PM

If I answer will it suffice?

Sounds to me like you're just another casualty of being raised in a "Christian" household without without ever connecting with it, typical stuff BTW, you see this a lot with atheists that were raised by religious parents but never understood what the point was, they didn't know all these things come by way of the spiritual, not in the physical.
Now to answer your first question...
Being a person that seeks God and His ways doesn't entirely make them "better" though it can depending on the individual... but rather pliable. And beyond just being a better person or morally better, it's about being spiritually sensitive, to be able to discern and adjust to the source which is what the target is not because they weren't good or had good qualities before, but because God expands that which is your current make-up, He takes your current levels of morality and spirituality and maximizes them through your choices and lifestyle. Kind of like an equalizer...you have your current abilities and morality at a certain level but the spirit turns those bad boys on full blast...that is the objective, to be willing and able....to be willing to submit and put down some things to gain some things better. It's about doing and pursuing what God wants, not what we find satisfactory.
The spirit has caused me to dig much deeper and expand what I already possessed, and this is a constant cultivation as it never ends while you are alive on this earth, but without God there was no motivation to do such things, but with God all things are possible. God changes everything in your paradigms and mindsets, your lifestyle and morality..... your spiritual walk is unique and ever-changing.
The point is not necessarily to be a better person, but to be a better "listener" to the spirit and to God. This can only take place if the soul involved participates and acclimates, otherwise no transaction or change can take precedence.

You will find dirt everywhere you look, it doesn't matter where or what group you look into, there will always be duality, in other words you are most certainly going to see corruption, hate and evil even in Christianity and religion, and that is because where there is light, darkness is looking to invade that light. The enemy knows where to attack and make a stand.
I love all people including homosexuals and I have never condemned them or rejected them, rather converse, listen and share about spirituality and what Christianity is and they are always interested. Just remember when you see or hear something you don't like there are many, spiritual, normal Christians around just minding their business and just trying to find out what the worlds about and what God wants, we have no need to hate or get involved with nonsensical things like hating on people.
However, I honestly would have to reject the idea of Jesus being gay sorry, it just doesn't fit and is mere speculation. It is obvious Jesus is a man concerned about spirituality and not the flesh, not even a little so I highly doubt that. This is easy to ascertain just reading the Gospels, beyond that Jesus had so many followers and disciples it is very unlikely He could have hidden something like that, since He didn't admit He was gay I think it's appropriate to dismiss such an assertion.

Around here it's not always the "republican" party that is "ghastly", so I'm going to assume it's just an opinion from another secular character. Trump may appear to you deranged (and I'm no supporter) but he doesn't seem like a murderer, could be wrong though but I doubt it.

That's because like I said already, where you find a concentration of light and Godly activities you will find duality doing the opposite. When the light exposes the darkness it causes the darkness to surface, this is why you see good and bad in religion and elsewhere, this cannot be avoided.
My suggestion to you would be to go back to the source and you will find what is right and what is wrong. The source and example of Christianity is within the Gospels and Epistles, you can literally discard whatever does not fit as a counterfeit or corruption.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:17:56 PM
At 4/10/2016 7:07:07 PM, bigotry wrote:

LOL. Do you actually believe you're the first believer to have said that? There is no experience whatsoever other than the understanding one is simply talking to themselves.
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:19:00 PM

As far as I can tell, religion is a scam designed to provide power and a living to clerics.

I suppose that the first tribesman who discovered that he could escape the daily grind of survival by pretending to talk to gods realized quickly that he was on to a good racket.

Now, however, it is more like a chain letter, with many of the perpetuators victims themselves.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:28:59 PM
At 4/10/2016 7:17:56 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 4/10/2016 7:07:07 PM, bigotry wrote:

LOL. Do you actually believe you're the first believer to have said that? There is no experience whatsoever other than the understanding one is simply talking to themselves.
Well and your more than welcome to follow that where it leads. Im just sayinf because you asked and this is how you see. Other believers are teling you that because its how we all came to know Jesus. We all sought him out and in our lives has revealed himself. Like I said do it or dont do it. But dont go on this rant about showing you God when according to God himself this is how it works
Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 8:07:19 PM
At 4/10/2016 7:19:00 PM, Looncall wrote:

As far as I can tell, religion is a scam designed to provide power and a living to clerics.

I suppose that the first tribesman who discovered that he could escape the daily grind of survival by pretending to talk to gods realized quickly that he was on to a good racket.

Now, however, it is more like a chain letter, with many of the perpetuators victims themselves.

This is a good explanation.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 8:47:58 PM

Depends whether you are referring to true religion or false.

False religions, including the vast majority of so-called Christianity, is neither more nor less than Satan's attempt to get us to destroy ourselves when Jehovah destroys all his enemies.

True religion is designed to help such as you save your own eternal lives, and avoid all the traps Satan has set for you, including Atheism, which you have swallowed hook line and sinker.

It is like the instructions pinned to the hotel wall "in case of fire" it is designed to save your life.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 9:14:25 PM

It wasn't but the other day or maybe a month, and I'm sitting idol at the red light because I got things to do. But Homeland Security, it's like maybe they got the drop on you but I'm skating. I'm doing pristine figure eights but nobody giving me a gold metal. And who can care (?) I'm thinking crystal clear with a mind sharp as a shard of glass. Sleep is for suckers and I got things to do. So red light goes green and now I'll paint this picture yellow, because slow up what's this (?) Some car ran its red, and we barely just missed.

What a loser. What a prick. He flipped me off and I can only laugh and then I" cough. Because I got green so sticky and clean, try taking this story to court and noway I'm doing time for traffic crime better stuck to the guy driving at almost 80, I'm guessing. I mean how irresponsible is that to be driving while halfway decomposed when I'm feeling so high into my prime (?)

So obviously I was in the right while he was definitely in the wrong. But how could he have been so sure of himself is beyond me. They way he flipped me off with such confidence was astounding. Had we actually collided while nobody else was around, without an eye in the sky I'm afraid it's his story against mine. It would be his perception of reality verses my superior reception of the truth.

Sorry for swerving off the topic, but I just needed to rant.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:18:27 AM
At 4/10/2016 8:47:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Depends whether you are referring to true religion or false.

False religions, including the vast majority of so-called Christianity, is neither more nor less than Satan's attempt to get us to destroy ourselves when Jehovah destroys all his enemies.

True religion is designed to help such as you save your own eternal lives, and avoid all the traps Satan has set for you, including Atheism, which you have swallowed hook line and sinker.

It is like the instructions pinned to the hotel wall "in case of fire" it is designed to save your life.

There is no 'TRUE' religion, imo they are all human creations, some are nastier than others like the JW cult.