Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

The gospel of thomas

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:49:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The Gospel of Thomas is a book listing 114 alleged sayings of Jesus. It was discovered in Egypt in 1945, and is considered to have been written as early as 50 AD, though there are some historians who believe it was written in the 2nd Century.

The unusual feature of this book is that it is a confusing mix of quotes that are consistent with the Biblical gospels and sayings that make little sense or that are wholly inconsistent. Here are some examples:

Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don"t deserve life." Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

His disciples said to him, "is circumcision useful or not?" He said to them, "If it were useful, their father would produce children already circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has become profitable in every respect."

His disciples said, "When will you appear to us, and when will we see you?" Jesus said, "When you strip without being ashamed, and you take your clothes and put them under your feet like little children and trample then, then [you] will see the son of the living one and you will not be afraid."

Jesus said, "Where there are three deities, they are divine. Where there are two or one, I am with that one."

"If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the (Father"s) domain. If you do not observe the sabbath as a sabbath you will not see the Father."

Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and look, I"m guarding it until it blazes."

Jesus said, "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human."

Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will rule over all."

It appears likely that the authors of the Biblical gospels used the Gospel of Thomas as source material, but filtered out the nonsensical sayings. The fact that traditional statements of Jesus are mixed so thoroughly with the puzzling ones gives some evidence that Jesus had schizophrenia or something similar that produced unclear and confused thinking. It is unlikely that oral traditions of what Jesus said would have become contaminated with such unusual sayings if there was not a kernel of truth to them. This is evidence against the concept of Jesus as a divine being.