The forgery of John Chapter 21

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:54:01 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
The final verses of John Chapter 20 are as follows:

And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This is an author"s unmistakable ending to his narrative. But there is an extra chapter 21 that continues to tell of more post-resurrection appearances of Jesus. As described at this website, there is scriptural evidence that the original book of John ended at Chapter 20:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

In 2006, one 4th century Sahidic papyrus manuscript (Bodleian MS. Copt.e.150(P)) came to light that may end at 20:31. One side of this single-leaf fragment consists of John 20:30-31 with a large space under it, having no subscription.

It appears that another author added this extra chapter to explain why Jesus had not returned as soon as expected by referencing a beloved disciple who would possibly live to see the second coming, but then dismissing the certainty of that event. Evidently there was a general consensus that Jesus would return before his beloved disciple would die. The extra chapter was added to put into scripture that his death should not be viewed as a reason to lose faith in Jesus"s return.

Another purpose of the forgery was to support Peter as the historical first head or "rock" of the church, by adding a heartfelt conversation between Jesus and Peter. It also added, after the fact, a description of the way Peter would die. This was a common practice of Biblical writers- to insert a prophecy of something that had already happened, but make it look as if it was predictive.

It is reasonable to assume that the contents of John 21 are fictional, similar to the forged ending of the Book of Mark. It provides another reflection of the overall unreliability of the Bible as a historical document.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:12:58 PM
At 4/11/2016 9:54:01 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This is an author"s unmistakable ending to his narrative. But there is an extra chapter 21 that continues to tell of more post-resurrection appearances of Jesus. As described at this website, there is scriptural evidence that the original book of John ended at Chapter 20:

In 2006, one 4th century Sahidic papyrus manuscript (Bodleian MS. Copt.e.150(P)) came to light that may end at 20:31. One side of this single-leaf fragment consists of John 20:30-31 with a large space under it, having no subscription.

It appears that another author added this extra chapter to explain why Jesus had not returned as soon as expected by referencing a beloved disciple who would possibly live to see the second coming, but then dismissing the certainty of that event. Evidently there was a general consensus that Jesus would return before his beloved disciple would die. The extra chapter was added to put into scripture that his death should not be viewed as a reason to lose faith in Jesus"s return.

Another purpose of the forgery was to support Peter as the historical first head or "rock" of the church, by adding a heartfelt conversation between Jesus and Peter. It also added, after the fact, a description of the way Peter would die. This was a common practice of Biblical writers- to insert a prophecy of something that had already happened, but make it look as if it was predictive.

It is reasonable to assume that the contents of John 21 are fictional, similar to the forged ending of the Book of Mark. It provides another reflection of the overall unreliability of the Bible as a historical document.

just to show just how stupid this posting is, the reference of Peter as the head of the church is through out acts and referred to on and off in some of Paul's writings I do believe. if there is add-ons to scripture that doesn't prove anything other than they where added do to new findings of verifiable scripture which would be a shame to exclude from the reading believer. I do believe the original intention seeing that the scriptures were preserved by scribes not printing presses that the concern that the general public would go stupid wasn't there because at that time the text wasn't available without the churches supervision considering the work it toke to produce the text. but false accuser here probably already knows that, so whats up there Chloe8 ,practicing lies and deceit, are we?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:37:15 PM
At 4/11/2016 10:12:58 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 4/11/2016 9:54:01 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

just to show just how stupid this posting is, the reference of Peter as the head of the church is through out acts and referred to on and off in some of Paul's writings I do believe. if there is add-ons to scripture that doesn't prove anything other than they where added do to new findings of verifiable scripture which would be a shame to exclude from the reading believer. I do believe the original intention seeing that the scriptures were preserved by scribes not printing presses that the concern that the general public would go stupid wasn't there because at that time the text wasn't available without the churches supervision considering the work it toke to produce the text. but false accuser here probably already knows that, so whats up there Chloe8 ,practicing lies and deceit, are we?

So do you admit John Chapter 21 is a forgery?

It's true few people had access to the scripture but what if those who did started to lose faith? If the priests themselves began to doubt the return of Jesus then that would have led to a huge loss of followers and undermine the apparent credibility of Christianity.

When the forgery occurred Christianity would not have been in the position of relative strength it is today. It's similar to how the Jehovah's witness religion made a series of failed Armageddon predictions. A spectacular prediction is made by a modern small cult to attempt to attract conversions. It fails so changes are made. The person/s who forged this gospel believed in Christianity just like Jehovah's witnesses believe in their religion. They justify the changes as mistakes not seeing that they were actually being deceitful and lying.

In the 2nd century Jews viewed and outnumbered Christianity in a similar manner to how Christians view and outnumber Jehovah's witnesses today.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.