Jump to topic:

False predictions

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 9:30:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
There is a lot of fuss made of the predictions made by the Jehovah's Witnesses over future events which actually will happen.

But what about those who predict a false future for mankind as a basic teaching of their faith and refuse to change it despite Christ sending his father's messengers to correct them?

What false predictions?

Well for a start there are those who subvert Jehovah's Kingdom under Christ into a mere "something in the heart".

Scripture describes Jehovah's kingdom as a real government which will soon take over the rule of the whole earth from heaven. That is the true future of mankind and ay other prediction is false.

For just one more, for now, there is the "hellfire and torment" brigade.

That is not and never has been a part of Jehovah's plan for mankind, and is in fact a heinous calumny, an absolute slur on the name of our loving creator.

I admit I can understand where some get this from, but it still goes against accurate knowledge of God, which is an integral part of our salvation (John 17:3), so to twist figurative passages into a "real" lie condemns all who support it to destruction, and a very brief, but painful, torment just before hand when they are made to realise what they have thrown away with their lies. however sincerely they meant it.

Anyway that is a pair of false predictions that many fake Christian faiths put forward.

Jehovah's Witnesses learned from their errors and accepted correction.

Christ has sent his father's Witnesses out into the whole world to provide the necessary correction for all. How many will have the courage to accept correction as the JWs did?

All too few of scripture is to be believed, as I know it is, but no-one will ever be able to say that Jehovah, his son, and his Witnesses didn't try.

Don't be one of that unfortunate majority. Get to know God and Christ and you will know how wrong these false predication are, how far from the personalities such things lie.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 10:25:49 AM
At 4/12/2016 9:30:10 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
There is a lot of fuss made of the predictions made by the Jehovah's Witnesses over future events which actually will happen.

But what about those who predict a false future for mankind as a basic teaching of their faith and refuse to change it despite Christ sending his father's messengers to correct them?

What false predictions?

Well for a start there are those who subvert Jehovah's Kingdom under Christ into a mere "something in the heart".

Scripture describes Jehovah's kingdom as a real government which will soon take over the rule of the whole earth from heaven. That is the true future of mankind and ay other prediction is false.

That is not and never has been a part of Jehovah's plan for mankind, and is in fact a heinous calumny, an absolute slur on the name of our loving creator.

I admit I can understand where some get this from, but it still goes against accurate knowledge of God, which is an integral part of our salvation (John 17:3), so to twist figurative passages into a "real" lie condemns all who support it to destruction, and a very brief, but painful, torment just before hand when they are made to realise what they have thrown away with their lies. however sincerely they meant it.

Anyway that is a pair of false predictions that many fake Christian faiths put forward.

Christ has sent his father's Witnesses out into the whole world to provide the necessary correction for all. How many will have the courage to accept correction as the JWs did?

All too few of scripture is to be believed, as I know it is, but no-one will ever be able to say that Jehovah, his son, and his Witnesses didn't try.

Don't be one of that unfortunate majority. Get to know God and Christ and you will know how wrong these false predication are, how far from the personalities such things lie.

You make it up as you go along. Your nonsense is no more factual than that of the unpleasant hell-fire idiots!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 10:55:59 AM
At 4/12/2016 10:25:49 AM, tarantula wrote:

What false predictions?

You make it up as you go along. Your nonsense is no more factual than that of the unpleasant hell-fire idiots!

Not at all. Everything I post comes from or is based on scripture.

I do not have that good an imagination. I wish I did, I could make a fortune as the writer I always wanted to be. My life is however ruled by facts and truth even if others prefer to remain in self delusion and denial.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:12:00 AM
"God's will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven."

If you accept God's will as being sovereign over all things, this is the same as "God's will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven."

This is a fact, and it shows how we are talking about a relationship with God, not trivia.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:36:08 AM

"And being asked by the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God cometh, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for lo, the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17: 20-21)

Here's the BotchTower version:

" ... The kingdom of God cometh with LOTS of observation - and falling debris: and they shall say, Lo here! or There! for low, the kingdom of God is outside of you."

Question: will this supposed yet-future kingdom of God that you propose come "with observation" or not? Either it will - or it won't. Or is that yet another of those pesky little things that Jesus got wrong?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:47:04 AM

Christ has sent his father's Witnesses out into the whole world to provide the necessary correction for all.

When did He do this?

In fact, when did He ever send out any "Witnesses" with a capital W?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:50:37 AM
There is a lot of fuss made of the predictions made by the Jehovah's Witnesses over future events

No, the "fuss" is over their wild claims concerning direct guidance from God, or direct holy spirit leadings, to somehow add some credibility to their predictions. God obviously had nothing to do with their ridiculous predictions, although back at the time, they claimed that He did. They lied about that. They knew better. They didn't just claim, "Oh, we think the Bible teaches this" (even if it didn't). Nope, they claimed that the Bible taught it, AND they claimed some special one-on-one help from God.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:28:43 PM
At 4/12/2016 10:55:59 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/12/2016 10:25:49 AM, tarantula wrote:

What false predictions?

Not at all. Everything I post comes from or is based on scripture.

I do not have that good an imagination. I wish I did, I could make a fortune as the writer I always wanted to be. My life is however ruled by facts and truth even if others prefer to remain in self delusion and denial.

But the Jehovah's Witnesses have quite an imagination and they have made a fortune selling literature. So why did you fail them and earn their disfellowshipped and shunning?

For example:

"Watchtower has promoted six different and contradictory explanations of "this generation." Many Witnesses based crucial life choices on the understanding that Armageddon would arrive before the death of all those born prior to 1914. Can an organization that makes such critical errors rightfully claim they alone are directed by God?"
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 4:29:55 PM

I usually don't address MCB because I find him totally dishonest and the perfect example of the wolf in sheeps clothing whom Jesus warned us about, but this post of his is so lacking in self-awareness, I had to respond.

Lie. You made predictions of which you gave the date, those dates passed, and they did not happen. A lot has been made of predictions by the Jehovah's Witnesses over past events which actually did not happen.

Another double lie. First, those were not "errors", they were false prophesies. They were lies.
Deu 18:21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

So how were they errors? Did you mistake someone else speaking to you as God? Did you mis-hear? Were you just joshing around? JW's claimed repeatedly that they had gotten the info straight from God, that they were his only mode of communication to men. And for a hundred years, they were repeatedly wrong. Each time lying again to cover the previous lie.

The only people who can be Jehovahs Witnesses now are either the stupid or the evil.
You are of the latter.

Second, you did not learn from them, because you still refuse to admit your lies were false prophesies. You kept sending out lies claiming to be the mouthpiece of God on Earth for more than a hundred years!

And here you are again now, claim they were "errors". You've learned nothing except how to lie better.

Christ has sent his father's Witnesses out into the whole world to provide the necessary correction for all.

Why in Hell would God use the same deceitful false prophets to "correct" the rest of us? How you could make this post with a straight face is a wonder.

Here is the question I would like to ask you but I know you won't answer it.

How is what the JW's did, claiming "Thus sayeth the Lord...." and it NOT coming to pass, different from what is set out in Deu 18:21 & 22?

You are probably the worst person on this site, and some of the trolls here are nothing to sneeze at. But you are putrid MCB. Just putrid.

Ugh.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 8:54:18 AM

You have no clue if they will actually happen or not and neither do the JW's. You want to believe they will happen just like the JW's wanted to believe their past false prophecies would happen and never admitted any error till the dates of their prophecies passes and nothing happened.

The JW's are the people who continue to make false predictions. They simply learned to not place dates on their false predictions any more. They just leave them ambiguous with words like soon which can mean any thing from "in the next hour" to "in the next millenium".

What false predictions?

Jesus did say "the kingdom of God is within you". If you think it is something outside of you, you are in grievious error.

Where exactly does it describe the kingdom as something physical on Earth?
John 18:36 clearly says " Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

If the kingdom was ever some real government in this world, that scripture would become a complete lie. It can never be of the world or in the world if John 18:36 is to remain true at all times.

Then explain the parable in Luke 16:19-31. Why was a character in the parable tormented in hell ?

When will you realise the JW's are still preaching false doctrines and making false predictions?
You are obviously sincere but you are sincerely wrong.

They are still in error, still making false predictions.

The JW"s have not corrected their errors yet. They continue to make more errors and refuse to listen to anyone who points them out, the same as any other sects refuse to listen to anyone pointing out their errors.

All Christians try to tell the truth and sincerely believe they are doing the right thing and preaching the right doctrines but all of them are in error and preach false doctrines if they preach that anything about scripture is to be taken literally. It is all spiritual and is to be spiritually discerned. It is about heart matters and has nothing to do with physical worldly phenomenon.

You are one of the unfortunate majority as long as you believe any prophecies are about physical worldly earthy events which will physically happen one day in future.
Heaven and hell are states of mind and the kingdom of God is within the heart and mind of people who understand the revelation which is eternal and has nothing to do with temporary earthly things.
As long as you think God is a character living in some place outside of Earth, you remain as foolish and gullible as a child who believes in Santa as a man and has no understanding that the man is merely a mythical characterisation of a concept.
God is a concept, not an invisible man with supernatural powers who can actually hear you speak to him.
He cannot hear you any better than Mother Nature can.

I sincerely hope you wake up to that fact one day.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:29:02 PM

What false predictions?

I mean no offense by this, but using the Bible (your chosen standard), your 'religion' shouldn't exist anymore. It should have packed itself up all nice and tidy, shook hands, and wandered their own separate ways. Once you attempt to predict what will transpire from the Bible to the world, and fail, you are a 'false prophet'. Pack it up, you're done. There is no more attempting to hold legitimacy or authority over scripture after such a botched call. Right now, the "false prophets" are the JWs, its like they haven't learned.

In the end, its not spiritual guidance or some supernatural link that is being sought after, its power. Its derived authority. It just so happens that sadly, your predecessors flew to close to the sun.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:33:47 PM
At 4/12/2016 4:29:55 PM, ethang5 wrote:

I usually don't address MCB because I find him totally dishonest and the perfect example of the wolf in sheeps clothing whom Jesus warned us about, but this post of his is so lacking in self-awareness, I had to respond.

The only people who can be Jehovahs Witnesses now are either the stupid or the evil.
You are of the latter.

I will have to bite the bullet and defend poor MadClown here. I never thought I'd do that! However, he's a lot more of the former than the latter.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:09:47 PM
At 4/13/2016 12:33:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

You are of the latter.

I will have to bite the bullet and defend poor MadClown here. I never thought I'd do that! However, he's a lot more of the former than the latter.

Lol, I hope that wasn't too painful, however neither is true, as all will one day know.
Jehovah destroys no-one without them knowing precisely why.

I preach truth and can prove it from scripture as you well know if only you would allow yourself to admit it.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:19:20 PM
At 4/13/2016 12:29:02 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What false predictions?

I mean no offense by this, but using the Bible (your chosen standard), your 'religion' shouldn't exist anymore. It should have packed itself up all nice and tidy, shook hands, and wandered their own separate ways. Once you attempt to predict what will transpire from the Bible to the world, and fail, you are a 'false prophet'. Pack it up, you're done. There is no more attempting to hold legitimacy or authority over scripture after such a botched call. Right now, the "false prophets" are the JWs, its like they haven't learned.

ON the contrary.

The Bible makes it clear that the true faith if the only one which will survive forever on this earth.

The JWs are demonstrably just that faith.

In the end, its not spiritual guidance or some supernatural link that is being sought after, its power. Its derived authority. It just so happens that sadly, your predecessors flew to close to the sun.

I do not wish power, either does any JW I have met, and I have met plenty.

We are happy to accept the authority of Christ and his father.

We have no wish to control any, we simply encourage others to let themselves be controlled by holy spirit and scripture.

That is why we obey Christ and become no part of this world. We have our own government, though it is still incomplete at the moment, the last few still to be gathered, tested and accepted.

We have our own King, Christ.

We have our own law book, the Bible.

We are a part of, and live under Jehovah's Kingdom under his son Christ.

That is where our complete allegiance lies, though we are happy to obey any human law which does not go against the laws of God.

Any that do go against God's law we will not comply with.

We are all a part of that global nation, wherever we may live.

That is why there is a saying in Jehovah's organisation that there is no such thing as an American Jehovah's Witness. True there are many Jehovah's Witnesses living in America. paying American Taxes, and holding American passports, but they are no longer American.

The same applies to JWs living in all nations, we are, as was Abraham our spiritual forefather, alien residents in our lands.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:28:50 PM
At 4/13/2016 2:19:20 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

What false predictions?

ON the contrary.

The Bible makes it clear that the true faith if the only one which will survive forever on this earth.

We have no wish to control any, we simply encourage others to let themselves be controlled by holy spirit and scripture.

That is why we obey Christ and become no part of this world. We have our own government, though it is still incomplete at the moment, the last few still to be gathered, tested and accepted.

That is where our complete allegiance lies, though we are happy to obey any human law which does not go against the laws of God.

That is why there is a saying in Jehovah's organisation that there is no such thing as an American Jehovah's Witness. True there are many Jehovah's Witnesses living in America. paying American Taxes, and holding American passports, but they are no longer American.

The same applies to JWs living in all nations, we are, as was Abraham our spiritual forefather, alien residents in our lands.

And in all of that, you ignored the charge: the JW's prophesized falsely.

" True there are many Jehovah's Witnesses living in America. paying American Taxes, and holding American passports, but they are no longer American." --- I like this, though, it just goes to show that religion, in general, is incompatible with American values.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 3:34:08 PM
At 4/13/2016 2:09:47 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You are of the latter.

Lol, I hope that wasn't too painful, however neither is true, as all will one day know.

I preach truth and can prove it from scripture as you well know if only you would allow yourself to admit it.

.... thus proving my defense of you.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 3:44:47 PM

You are of the latter.

You mean MCB does not meet your standard of evil. Not even with his 4 divorces, perverted unnatural sexual acts, being disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW and living alone with a dog? What's in your closet?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:03:02 PM
At 4/13/2016 2:28:50 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/13/2016 2:19:20 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

What false predictions?

ON the contrary.

And in all of that, you ignored the charge: the JW's prophesized falsely.

" True there are many Jehovah's Witnesses living in America. paying American Taxes, and holding American passports, but they are no longer American." --- I like this, though, it just goes to show that religion, in general, is incompatible with American values.

I have never denied that because it never happened.

They did not truly prophesy, they simply interpreted already existing prophecies.

They only prophesy in the original meaning of the word, not the one you choose to use.

True they got that wrong a few times, but they learned.

When are you going to learn?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:03:42 PM
At 4/13/2016 3:34:08 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 4/13/2016 2:09:47 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

You are of the latter.

.... thus proving my defense of you.

Yes but not the accusation you endorsed.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:28:37 PM
At 4/12/2016 11:50:37 AM, annanicole wrote:
There is a lot of fuss made of the predictions made by the Jehovah's Witnesses over future events

No, the "fuss" is over their wild claims concerning direct guidance from God, or direct holy spirit leadings, to somehow add some credibility to their predictions. God obviously had nothing to do with their ridiculous predictions, although back at the time, they claimed that He did. They lied about that. They knew better. They didn't just claim, "Oh, we think the Bible teaches this" (even if it didn't). Nope, they claimed that the Bible taught it, AND they claimed some special one-on-one help from God.

I think Annanicole hit the nail on the head here. There is a big difference between making an innocent mistake, as all humans are prone to do, and claiming that Jehovah led you to your conclusions. And it seems to me that the Watchtower Society has been equivocal on this issue. On the one hand, they claim to be prophets in the same sense as Ezekiel, to be spirit led, etc. Then on the other hand, they deny being "inspired prophets." When they want to be obeyed and respected, they emphasize being spirit led and being Jehovah's channel of communication, and being the faithful and discreet slave. But when they get it wrong, they play all that down, admitting fallibility, making no claim to being an inspired prophet, etc. It's like they want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want all the authority of a prophet, but none of the responsibility. Well, if you make the sorts of claims the leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses have made for their organization, that entails more responsibility than somebody who is merely trying to gain an accurate understanding of the Scriptures by reading it and studying it like an ordinary fallible human being.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:37:36 PM

I mean no offense by this, but using the Bible (your chosen standard), your 'religion' shouldn't exist anymore. It should have packed itself up all nice and tidy, shook hands, and wandered their own separate ways. Once you attempt to predict what will transpire from the Bible to the world, and fail, you are a 'false prophet'.

You know, in all fairness, I don't think the Jehovah's Witnesses can be called false prophets for this reason. They didn't claim to get their future predictions by direct divine revelation. Rather, they got their future predictions from a misreading of the Bible. We all make mistakes when we read the Bible, even when reading on eschatological topics. If having the wrong interpretation of an eschatological passage of scripture makes one a false prophet, then I'd say a good half of all evangelicals are false prophets because some are pre-trib, some post-trib, some pre-mil, some a-mil, some post-mil, etc. These are all irreconcilable predictions about the future. But do you honestly believe that if it turns out the post-trib view is correct that pre-tribbers are therefore false prophets? I don't think so.

Jehovah's Witnesses may be false prophets, but not for this reason.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 5:11:09 PM
At 4/13/2016 4:37:36 PM, philochristos wrote:

I mean no offense by this, but using the Bible (your chosen standard), your 'religion' shouldn't exist anymore. It should have packed itself up all nice and tidy, shook hands, and wandered their own separate ways. Once you attempt to predict what will transpire from the Bible to the world, and fail, you are a 'false prophet'.

You know, in all fairness, I don't think the Jehovah's Witnesses can be called false prophets for this reason. They didn't claim to get their future predictions by direct divine revelation. Rather, they got their future predictions from a misreading of the Bible. We all make mistakes when we read the Bible, even when reading on eschatological topics. If having the wrong interpretation of an eschatological passage of scripture makes one a false prophet, then I'd say a good half of all evangelicals are false prophets because some are pre-trib, some post-trib, some pre-mil, some a-mil, some post-mil, etc. These are all irreconcilable predictions about the future. But do you honestly believe that if it turns out the post-trib view is correct that pre-tribbers are therefore false prophets? I don't think so.

Whilst you are right about them not being false prophets in the sense the word prophets is currently used, you are not entirely right about the reason you do give.

In fact it was not really down to misunderstanding the prophecies they were attempting to interpret. The only aspect of that they failed on was the time scale.

everything they said would happen, will happen, and the original and basic prediction of 1914 is still valid.

Their prediction was based around Daniel 4 and it's prediction of the time coming when human Governments would no longer have the right to rule, known as "The Times of the Nations" or the Gentile Times".

That did indeed happen.

The problem crept in for the simple reason that they were still thinking along a lot of false lines, hangovers from their days in "Babylon the Great" the world empire of false religion of which thousands of so called Christina sects are the major part.
because of that wrong thinking they assumed that Jehovah's Kingdom under Christ would take over from them immediately, which would have meant that the foretold tribulation and Armageddon would have come in very quickly after October 1914.

At first WWI (1914-1918) appeared to confirm that idea. which didn't help, and in fact to this day many people still refer to WWI as "armageddon" I even heard it referred to that way on TV last year, and of course, the year before.

In fact, as they slowly learned there was much to be done before that could happen.

Though Christ started of his prophesied reign by kicking Satan out of heaven, which appears to have happened in the early to mid 19th century, his government was not complete. The remnant of the 144,000 still had to be brought in, tested and accepted before Armageddon would be allowed to strike, though is has been prepared since shortly after Satan's being kicked out of heaven and down to earth. Revelation 7:1-3.

Only when the last of these is sealed will the "4 winds from the 4 corners of the earth" be unleashed.

By 1920 they had realised this, but still didn't have the full picture.

By the mid 20's they had realised that there were not just the "little flock" to gather in, but also the "other sheep" who would either survive Armageddon or get an early resurrection in order to help with the teaching of the resurrected dead.

In the words of one Brother at the time, "Many of us were greatly relieved by this knowedge because at last we knew where we belonged. We had long known we did nto have the heavenly hope but had no idea until the other sheep were identified what our role was to be. At last we knew. At last we had a purpose".

That is unlikely to be a verbatim quote, but I shall never forget reading such heartfelt words.

So in 1925, to the disgust of some Brothers and Sisters the Governing Body directed a massive re-organisation to take into account the much expanded role they now knew they had. Those who were not happy with Jehovah's direction in this split off from the WTBTS, and fairly quickly achieved a certain level of obscurity whereas those who accepted it have gone from strength to strength, and Jehovah's will is now being done throughout the globe.

As I continually point out. Yes they have made mistakes, but they have learned from them and continue to learn at Jehovah's pace.

That is more than any other so-called Christian faith can say since they have refused to learn from their heinous errors. All have decided to go their own way rather than Jehovah's.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 5:17:58 PM
At 4/13/2016 4:28:37 PM, philochristos wrote:

I think Annanicole hit the nail on the head here. There is a big difference between making an innocent mistake, as all humans are prone to do, and claiming that Jehovah led you to your conclusions. And it seems to me that the Watchtower Society has been equivocal on this issue. On the one hand, they claim to be prophets in the same sense as Ezekiel, to be spirit led, etc. Then on the other hand, they deny being "inspired prophets." When they want to be obeyed and respected, they emphasize being spirit led and being Jehovah's channel of communication, and being the faithful and discreet slave. But when they get it wrong, they play all that down, admitting fallibility, making no claim to being an inspired prophet, etc. It's like they want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want all the authority of a prophet, but none of the responsibility. Well, if you make the sorts of claims the leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses have made for their organization, that entails more responsibility than somebody who is merely trying to gain an accurate understanding of the Scriptures by reading it and studying it like an ordinary fallible human being.

Yes in a sense she is right, but what she has failed to recognise is that once they learned of their errors they realised that Jehovah hadn't been guiding them that way after all.

Like Annanicole, and so many others who simply don't understand how it works, they too believed that those guided by holy spirit are infallible.

They eventually learned that being spirit guided did not confer infallibility, and there are enough examples in scripture to demonstrate that. Even Christ made mistakes.

What they have done now is realised that if they do make mistakes Jehovah will correct them in any way he chooses, but in his own time.

Simply being inspired men does not entirely prevent them from making fools of themselves if they speak out without sufficient caution. That is a lesson which still comes back to bite them, because whilst forgiveness is a feature of Christianity it does not appear to be with many humans. They hold grudges despite the wise words of Jesus at Matthew 7:1-5.

As that passage says, if they judge without mercy, they will be judged without mercy themselves.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 5:52:21 PM
At 4/13/2016 5:11:09 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/13/2016 4:37:36 PM, philochristos wrote:

Whilst you are right about them not being false prophets in the sense the word prophets is currently used, you are not entirely right about the reason you do give.

In fact it was not really down to misunderstanding the prophecies they were attempting to interpret. The only aspect of that they failed on was the time scale.

I'm not sure that's a distinction that would get the JW's out of any trouble, though. After all, the dates were arrived at by a misinterpretation of scripture. So the dates were part of what was being predicted.

everything they said would happen,

That's not entirely accurate, though. If I said:

1. Joe will by me lunch,

or. . .

2. Joe will be me lunch on Tuesday,

Then I'm making two distinct predictions. One happens to be more specific than the other. If Joe buys me lunch, but not on Tuesday, then the first prediction is true, but the second prediction is false, or at least partially false.

and the original and basic prediction of 1914 is still valid.

I think we've talked about that one before, so I won't go into it, but I think this is all kinds of wrong. It might be interesting for you and I to have a debate about the 1914 date, but I've been wanting to debate you on the physicality of Jesus' resurrection for a while. Do you think you might be interested in that at some point?

As I continually point out. Yes they have made mistakes, but they have learned from them and continue to learn at Jehovah's pace.

Well, you would think, given their admitted fallibility, that they'd have a little more humility about their teachings, and that JW's would be a little more provisional in their beliefs.

That is more than any other so-called Christian faith can say since they have refused to learn from their heinous errors.

We probably have a difference in opinion about these so called errors.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 5:58:35 PM
At 4/13/2016 5:17:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/13/2016 4:28:37 PM, philochristos wrote:

Yes in a sense she is right, but what she has failed to recognise is that once they learned of their errors they realised that Jehovah hadn't been guiding them that way after all.

It doesn't seem like JW's know when they're being guided and when they're not being guided, except in hind sight.

Like Annanicole, and so many others who simply don't understand how it works, they too believed that those guided by holy spirit are infallible.

What do you think it means to be guided by the Holy Spirit?

They eventually learned that being spirit guided did not confer infallibility, and there are enough examples in scripture to demonstrate that. Even Christ made mistakes.

No, he didn't. Do you think the Holy Spirit guides people into error?

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 6:21:42 PM
At 4/13/2016 3:44:47 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You are of the latter.

You mean MCB does not meet your standard of evil. Not even with his 4 divorces, perverted unnatural sexual acts, being disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW and living alone with a dog? What's in your closet?

Bump!!!
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 6:26:04 PM
At 4/13/2016 6:21:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 4/13/2016 3:44:47 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You are of the latter.

Bump!!!

What's wrong with living alone with a dog? That seems an odd thing to add to that list.