Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Favorite Bible quote

Daedal
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 9:10:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Leviticus:

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 9:13:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
We love because He first loved us.
(1 John 4:19)

God loves all of humanity and would have all of humanity be saved as mentioned in John 3:16 and John 3:17. He is nondescriminate in His love. He loves the wicked and the just according to the Bible.

But He does not force Himself upon anyone if they reject Him.

The cross is simplified in this verse. God examplified love to us at the cross. It is not comprehendable the love displayed at calvary. There is no love comparable to devine love. The verse is important in that God through Christ taught me to love.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dee-em
Posts: 6,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 11:58:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Jesus speaking:

Mark 13:30
Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.


So embarrassing.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 12:12:59 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I really love so much in the bible, but I'm going to pick Psalm 31, as it is one of the Psalms that Jesus sung while hung on the cross.

In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed:
deliver me in thy righteousness.
Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily:
be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
For thou art my rock and my fortress;
therefore for thy name"s sake lead me, and guide me.
Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me:
for thou art my strength.
Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.
I have hated them that regard lying vanities:
but I trust in the Lord.
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy:
for thou hast considered my trouble;
thou hast known my soul in adversities;
and hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy:
thou hast set my feet in a large room.
Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble:
mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.
For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing:
my strength faileth because of mine iniquity,
and my bones are consumed.
I was a reproach among all mine enemies,
but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance:
they that did see me without fled from me.
I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind:
I am like a broken vessel.
For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side:
while they took counsel together against me,
they devised to take away my life.
But I trusted in thee, O Lord:
I said, Thou art my God.
My times are in thy hand:
deliver me from the hand of mine enemies,
and from them that persecute me.
Make thy face to shine upon thy servant:
save me for thy mercies" sake.
Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee:
let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be put to silence;
which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
Oh how great is thy goodness,
which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee;
which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!
Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man:
thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord:
for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.
For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes:
nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.
O love the Lord, all ye his saints:
for the Lord preserveth the faithful,
and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart,
all ye that hope in the Lord.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
dee-em
Posts: 6,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:18:58 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Weird insults and curses:

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and rape her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. . . . The Lord will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head. Deuteronomy 28:30-31,35
Maccabee
Posts: 1,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:42:13 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Luke 22:35-38 KJV.

35. And he said unto them, when I sent you without purse, and script, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, nothing.
36. Then he said unto them, but now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a script: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one
37. For I say unto you, that this is written must be accomplished in me, and he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords, and he said unto them, it is enough.

I like that passage because it shows that Jesus was for the arming of Christians. And I use that as a username.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
dee-em
Posts: 6,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 6:30:47 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
God discriminates against the handicapped:

Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:45:07 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/13/2016 8:38:47 PM, janesix wrote:
What is your favorite quote from the Bible?

Why is it your favorite?

1 Corinthians 13:8-13
8 Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially, 10 but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child. 12 For now we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known. 13 Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love.

Why?

Because it completely encapsulates the basis of being a follower of Christ, and worshipper of the God he worships, Jehovah.

Also, nowadays, love is a much over-used, and abused word, the number who know what love truly is, is dwindling all too quickly, hence the divorce rate.

Two people truly in love will never want to be estranged from each other.

Unfortunately however it does take two, because though love never fails or dies, it can be killed if abused by its recipient.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:47:40 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/13/2016 11:58:56 PM, dee-em wrote:
Jesus speaking:

Mark 13:30
Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.


So embarrassing.

Why embarrassing?

It is perfectly true, the only problem is identifying which generation "this" is.

The scripture says that it is the generation which sees all of the signs Jesus gave, the last of which are slowly growing in strength since the mid 19th century.

But when will Jehovah, or his son, feel they can say that if they haven't seen them by now they never will?
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:48:19 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/13/2016 9:10:56 PM, Daedal wrote:
Leviticus:

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Interesting choice. It says more about you than you may wish it to.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:49:35 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/13/2016 9:13:02 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
We love because He first loved us.
(1 John 4:19)

God loves all of humanity and would have all of humanity be saved as mentioned in John 3:16 and John 3:17. He is nondescriminate in His love. He loves the wicked and the just according to the Bible.

But He does not force Himself upon anyone if they reject Him.

The cross is simplified in this verse. God examplified love to us at the cross. It is not comprehendable the love displayed at calvary. There is no love comparable to devine love. The verse is important in that God through Christ taught me to love.

Good choice.

However unfortunately not all love him, the vast majority even choose not to know him, but instead concentrate unfairly on his son.
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:51:37 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Ezekiel 23:30

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

*headdesk* *insane laughter*
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 12:03:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 12:12:59 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I really love so much in the bible, but I'm going to pick Psalm 31, as it is one of the Psalms that Jesus sung while hung on the cross.

In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed:
deliver me in thy righteousness.
Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily:
be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
For thou art my rock and my fortress;
therefore for thy name"s sake lead me, and guide me.
Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me:
for thou art my strength.
Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.
I have hated them that regard lying vanities:
but I trust in the Lord.
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy:
for thou hast considered my trouble;
thou hast known my soul in adversities;
and hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy:
thou hast set my feet in a large room.
Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble:
mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.
For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing:
my strength faileth because of mine iniquity,
and my bones are consumed.
I was a reproach among all mine enemies,
but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance:
they that did see me without fled from me.
I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind:
I am like a broken vessel.
For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side:
while they took counsel together against me,
they devised to take away my life.
But I trusted in thee, O Lord:
I said, Thou art my God.
My times are in thy hand:
deliver me from the hand of mine enemies,
and from them that persecute me.
Make thy face to shine upon thy servant:
save me for thy mercies" sake.
Let me not be ashamed, O Lord; for I have called upon thee:
let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be put to silence;
which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
Oh how great is thy goodness,
which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee;
which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!
Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man:
thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord:
for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.
For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes:
nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.
O love the Lord, all ye his saints:
for the Lord preserveth the faithful,
and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart,
all ye that hope in the Lord.

I would agree if it were not a "doctored" version of the passage, which has had Jehovah's name replaced by Lord.

Because it has been doctored it does exactly what it was doctored to do and takes attention away from the one who truly deserves it and transfers it to his son.

This is the problem with using what are actually dishonest translations by dishonest translators.

I prefer the original version which encapsulates how I feel about Jehovah, and reads, in modern language:

1 In you, O Jehovah, I have taken refuge. May I never be put to shame. Rescue me because of your righteousness.
2 Incline your ear to me. Come quickly to my rescue. Become for me a mountain stronghold, A fortified place to save me.
3 For you are my crag and my stronghold; For the sake of your name, you will lead me and guide me.
4 You will free me from the net that they have secretly laid for me, For you are my fortress.
5 Into your hand I entrust my spirit. You have redeemed me, O Jehovah, the God of truth.
6 I hate those who are devoted to worthless, vain idols, But as for me, I trust in Jehovah.
7 I will rejoice greatly in your loyal love, For you have seen my affliction; You are aware of my deep distress.
8 You have not handed me over to the enemy, But you make me stand in a place of safety.
9 Show me favor, O Jehovah, for I am in distress. Anguish has made my eyes weak, my whole body as well.
10 My life is consumed with grief and my years with groaning. My strength is waning because of my error; My bones grow weak.
11 I am scorned by all my adversaries, Especially my neighbors. And I am dreaded by my acquaintances; When they see me in public, they flee from me.
12 I am put out of their heart and forgotten, as if I were dead; I am like a broken jar.
13 I have heard many evil rumors; Terror surrounds me. When they gather together as one against me, They scheme to take away my life.
14 But I trust in you, O Jehovah. I declare: "You are my God."
15 My days are in your hand. Rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from those persecuting me.
16 Make your face shine upon your servant. Save me by your loyal love.
17 O Jehovah, may I not be put to shame when I call on you. May the wicked be put to shame; May they be silenced in the Grave.
18 May lying lips become speechless, Lips that speak arrogantly against the righteous, with haughtiness and contempt.
19 How abundant your goodness is! You have stored it up for those who fear you, and you have shown it before all men, in behalf of those taking refuge in you.
20 You will conceal them in the secret place of your presence from the schemes of men; You will hide them in your shelter from malicious attacks.
21 May Jehovah be praised, For in a wonderful way, he has shown his loyal love to me in a besieged city.
22 As for me, I panicked and said: "I will perish from before you." But you heard my pleas for help when I cried out to you.
23 Love Jehovah, all you who are loyal to him! Jehovah protects the faithful, but he repays exceedingly anyone showing haughtiness.
24 Be courageous, and may your heart be strong, all you who are waiting for Jehovah.

Satan wants us to forget Jehovah's name. Don;t let him have his way.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 12:04:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:18:58 AM, dee-em wrote:
Weird insults and curses:

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and rape her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. . . . The Lord will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head. Deuteronomy 28:30-31,35


Mmm another choice which says more about you than you might like us to know. It reveals a lot about how your mind works.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 12:06:58 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:42:13 AM, Maccabee wrote:
Luke 22:35-38 KJV.

35. And he said unto them, when I sent you without purse, and script, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, nothing.
36. Then he said unto them, but now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a script: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one
37. For I say unto you, that this is written must be accomplished in me, and he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords, and he said unto them, it is enough.

I like that passage because it shows that Jesus was for the arming of Christians. And I use that as a username.

Then you have completely misunderstood the reason for the need for arms, which was about wild animals not about humans. There were some very dangerous animals out there. Jesus would never condone the use of a sword against a human. Just think how he told Peter off for actually using his sword, which Jesus asked them to carry purely to fulfil prophecy.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:11:05 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 12:03:50 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
I would agree if it were not a "doctored" version of the passage, which has had Jehovah's name replaced by Lord.

Because it has been doctored it does exactly what it was doctored to do and takes attention away from the one who truly deserves it and transfers it to his son.

This is the problem with using what are actually dishonest translations by dishonest translators.

I prefer the original version which encapsulates how I feel about Jehovah, and reads, in modern language:

I'm using the King James Version, which by the way used the name "Jehovah" in its translations. That said, the idea that God's name is solidified in an arbitrary set of syllables is type of idolatry.

I will happily debate you on this subject, but not here, as I don't want to clutter up this topic.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:39:49 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 1:11:05 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 4/14/2016 12:03:50 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
I would agree if it were not a "doctored" version of the passage, which has had Jehovah's name replaced by Lord.

Because it has been doctored it does exactly what it was doctored to do and takes attention away from the one who truly deserves it and transfers it to his son.

This is the problem with using what are actually dishonest translations by dishonest translators.

I prefer the original version which encapsulates how I feel about Jehovah, and reads, in modern language:

I'm using the King James Version, which by the way used the name "Jehovah" in its translations. That said, the idea that God's name is solidified in an arbitrary set of syllables is type of idolatry.

No it is not, Jehovah chose that name himself as his memorial to time indefinite, and the name describes him perfectly since it means "I shall become".

The King James is in fact one of the most dishonest of translations because its translators removed God's name from more places than most.

However Jehovah did not allow them to remove it completely.

If you want to talk idolatry, let's talk the Trinity, the lying teaching which makes an idol of God's son and a completely impersonal force.

The trinity teaching has absolutely no place in scripture, and has caused the alteration of scripture to try and fit it in more than any other doctrine.


I will happily debate you on this subject, but not here, as I don't want to clutter up this topic.

I only debate in those parts, I see no profit in the limitations of formal debate, and I am certainly not interested in scoring points, since the only approval I want is that of Jehovah and his only begotten son now known as the Christ.

You really need to listen to Jehovah's word, not to men. Listening to men only puts you in danger of being misled as you evidently have been.

You are welcome to start a topic if you wish, or maybe I will.

However I suggest that you carefully read the wrongly named New Testament carefully, thinking hard about how the Apostles differentiate between God and Christ, as Jesus himself did,

If you do that thoroughly you will inevitably come to the conclusion that the Trinity doesn't fit at all.

Christ, even after his resurrection back to his previous spirit existence stated clearly that he worships the same God as his followers John 20:17.

Scripture tells us that it was the Word who came to earth to occupy the flesh of Christ and thus become incarnate, it also declares clearly that the Word is the only begotten son of God.

If Jesus were God, then when he died, who resurrected him?

Another of the devious alterations to scripture wrought to try and support the unsupportable is John 1:1, which in it's currently translated form does not even make sense.

In fact the original Greek uses two different words for God which convey two different meaning in that last sentence.

The first occurence describes God himself and is his title, or one of them.

The second occurrence speaks to the actual nature of the Word, hence the following list of more accurate translations.

Of which my personal favourite is the last one.

1808 "and the Word was a god" - Thomas Belsham The New Testament, in An Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome"s New Translation: With a Corrected Text , London.

1822 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament in Greek and English (A. Kneeland, 1822.);

1829 "and the Word was a god." - The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829);

1829 "and the Word was a god." - The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829);

1863 "and the Word was a god." - A Literal Translation Of The New Testament (Herman Heinfetter [Pseudonym of Frederick Parker], 1863);

1864 "the LOGOS was God, This was in the Beginning with God" A New Emphatic Version (right hand column) - But not the left hand column, note below.

1864 "and a god was the Word" (left hand column interlinear reading) The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, New York and London. - Same transaltor with an altered translation, I wonder why the change?

1867 "In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God" - The Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible. - but not God

1879 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (J. Becker, 1979);

1885 "and the Word was a god." - Concise Commentary On The Holy Bible (R. Young, 1885);

1911 "and the Word was a god." - The Coptic Version of the N.T. (G. W. Horner, 1911);

1935 "and the Word was divine" - The Bible"An American Translation, by John M. P. Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed, Chicago. - But again, not God

1955 "so the Word was divine" - The Authentic New Testament, by Hugh J. Schonfield, Aberdeen. - But again, not God

1956 The Wuest Expanded Translation reads: "In the beginning the Word was existing. And the Word was in fellowship with God the Father. And the Word was as to His essence absolute deity"[8] - Again, the same essence, a spirit, but not God himself.

1958 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Anointed" (J. L. Tomanec, 1958);

1962, 1979 "'the word was God.' Or, more literally, 'God was the word.'" The Four Gospels and the Revelation (R. Lattimore, 1979)

1966, 2001 The Good News Bible reads: "...and he was the same as God." - Yup he is, but that does not say he is God.

1970, 1989 The Revised English Bible reads: "...and what God was, the Word was." - Very true, both are spirits, just as the Angels are also.

1975 "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word" Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, G"ttingen, Germany

1975 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (S. Schulz, 1975);

1978 "and godlike sort was the Logos" - Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin.

This last one preserves the original sense of the verse better than any other.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:46:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
As written in the apostle Paul's second letter to the Corinthians..

"Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Jehovah is an arbitrary set of syllables. Jews don't even say "Jehovah". What is important is the meaning of the name.

When God is speaking to you, he would say, "I am that I am". God is what God is.

God is

God is the is.

To get hung up on a pronunciation is in spirit the same thing as making a graven image.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
bulproof
Posts: 25,197
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:12:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 12:04:52 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/14/2016 4:18:58 AM, dee-em wrote:
Weird insults and curses:

She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20 NIV

You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and rape her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. . . . The Lord will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head. Deuteronomy 28:30-31,35


Mmm another choice which says more about you than you might like us to know. It reveals a lot about how your mind works.

Now tell us what those passages mean in the madman bible.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:14:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 1:46:55 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
As written in the apostle Paul's second letter to the Corinthians..

"Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Jehovah is an arbitrary set of syllables. Jews don't even say "Jehovah". What is important is the meaning of the name.

No it is not arbitrary, though admittedly it is "best guess".

However it is important to get as close as we can nice as Joel 2:32 points out we have to call on his name for salvation, as Peter and Paul both reminded us by quoting Joel 2:32 at Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13..

Jesus made Jehovah's name known to his followers (John17:6), so we must also.


When God is speaking to you, he would say, "I am that I am". God is what God is.

No that is a mistranslation, again I suspect a deliberate on to try and fit it to Jesus words which in fact have the opposite tense. Jesus said I have been, not I am. In fact it means "I shall become".

So if Jehovah would say that when speaking to us, why did he always use his name, which in English translates to Jehovah. Admittedly Moses was the first one he told it to, but he intended it to be used or he would not have bothered telling us it.

You are misled by the dishonesty of the KJV.


God is

God is the is.

To get hung up on a pronunciation is in spirit the same thing as making a graven image.

Whoever told you that is lying. No it is not. It is paying Jehovah the respect he deserves as the author of our salvation.

Jehovah's name appears well over 7,000 times in the more honest translations. If Jehovah saw fit to have his name included that many times, n whatever language your translation is written in. what man has the right to remove it?

At the very least, an honest translator would have copied across the tetragrammaton or one of it's Romance transliterations. YHWH, JHVH, IHWH or IHVH to use the most common transliterations.

That is why God's name appears in many languages, as the list below shows.

LIST OF 99 LANGUAGES THAT USE A VERNACULAR FORM OF THE TETRAGRAMMATON IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
CHIHOWA: Choctaw
I"HVE: Portuguese
IEHOUA: Mer
IEHOVA: Gilbertese; Hawaiian; Hiri Motu; Kerewo; Kiwai; Marquesas; Motu; Panaieti (Misima); Rarotongan; Tahitian; Toaripi
IEHOVAN: Saibai
IEOVA: Kuanua; Wedau
IHOVA: Aneityum
IHVH: French
IOVA: Malekula (Kuliviu); Malekula (Pangkumu); Malekula (Uripiv)
JAHOWA: Batak-Toba
JAHU": Chacobo
JAKWE: (Ki)Sukuma
JAHVE: Hungarian
JEHOBA: Kipsigis; Mentawai
JEHOFA: Tswana
JEHOVA: Croatian; German; K"l" (Gabon); Lele (Manus Island); Nandi; Nauruan; Nukuoro
JEHOV": Spanish
JEH"VA: Fang; Tsimihety
JEHOVAH: Dutch; Efik; English; Kalenjin; Malagasy; Narrinyeri; Ojibwa
JEOVA: Kusaie (Kosraean)
JIHOVA: Naga (Angami); Naga (Konyak); Naga (Lotha); Naga (Mao); Naga (Ntenyi); Naga (Sangtam); Rotuman
JIOUA: Mortlock
JIOVA: Fijian
JIWHEY?WHE: Gu (Alada)
SIHOVA: Tongan
UYEHOVA: Zulu
YAHOWA: Thai
YAHVE: Ila
YAVE: Kongo
YAWE: Bobangi; Bolia; Dholuo; Lingala; Mongo (Lolo); (Lo)Ngandu; (Lo)Ntumba; (Ke)Sengele
YEH"A: Awabakal
YEHOFA: Southern Sotho
YEHOVA: Chokwe; Chuana (Tlapi); (Ki)Kalanga; Logo; Luba; Lugbara; (Chi)Luimbi; (Chi)Lunda (Ndembu); (Chi)Luvale; Santo (Hog Harbor); Tiv; Umbundu; (Isi)Xhosa
YEHOVAH: Bube; Mohawk; Nguna (Efate); Nguna (Tongoa)
YEHOWA: Ga; Laotian; (Ki)Songe; Tshiluba
YEKOVA: Zande
YEOBA: Kuba (Inkongo)
YEOHOWA: Korean
YHWH: Hebrew
YOWO: Lomwe
ZAHOVA: Chin (Haka-Lai)
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:18:01 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
You have a lot of bad information. I will talk to you in the topic you created.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:58:03 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 6:30:47 AM, dee-em wrote:
God discriminates against the handicapped:

so does the NFL or professional soccer or bull riding, or voters for that matter, one has to have a degree of some sort to qualify for certain jobs. there are some idiots that discriminate against Christians, showing us that they can discriminate but no one who disagrees with them should discriminate against what they want.

The Lord their God (not yours obviously) gives the job and specifies what the qualifications are to do the job, so does the NLF MLB burger king what ever. it would take pretty stupid person to think that those who are not qualified, are entitled.

Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:05:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 11:51:37 AM, roun12 wrote:
Ezekiel 23:30

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

that might be a discerption of you, I mean why would you post it, but the scripture really says

Eze 23:30 I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols.
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 5:25:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:05:45 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 4/14/2016 11:51:37 AM, roun12 wrote:
Ezekiel 23:30

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."


that might be a discerption of you, I mean why would you post it, but the scripture really says

Eze 23:30 I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols.

Sorry, I meant Ezekiel 23:20.
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 6:11:05 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 6:30:47 AM, dee-em wrote:
God discriminates against the handicapped:

Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV

This puts my favorite verse into perspective:

16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7:16-20

Bigotry, immorality and cruelty are the fruit of Christianity and Islam.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 6:39:04 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 5:25:13 PM, roun12 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 4:05:45 PM, DPMartin wrote:
At 4/14/2016 11:51:37 AM, roun12 wrote:
Ezekiel 23:30

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."


that might be a discerption of you, I mean why would you post it, but the scripture really says

Eze 23:30 I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols.

Sorry, I meant Ezekiel 23:20.

So the Bible does have a sense of humor lol
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 6:51:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
15 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."

Luke 12:15
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 7:59:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/13/2016 8:38:47 PM, janesix wrote:
What is your favorite quote from the Bible?

Why is it your favorite?

I like Luke 3:11...
"He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise."

And for some reason, I can't help but be amused by the redundant wording in Deuteronomy 21:21...
"And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

I always imagine a dramatic pause before the underlined part and it being stated with sarcastic emphasis. The same goes for the passage(s) that says, "...and burn him... with fire..." :)