Jump to topic:

Atheism is a religion - The Sequal

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:10:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Atheists take a defined stance on God. They have faith in evolution despite no one ever seeing a change in kind of anything, which is faith. And...there are Atheist churches. The religion also has unholy books like "God is not Great" (Christopher Hitchens) and "The God Delusion"(Richard Dawkins). A rose by any other name is still a rose.......
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:14:19 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:10:14 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheists take a defined stance on God. They have faith in evolution despite no one ever seeing a change in kind of anything, which is faith. And...there are Atheist churches. The religion also has unholy books like "God is not Great" (Christopher Hitchens) and "The God Delusion"(Richard Dawkins). A rose by any other name is still a rose.......

How can one take a defined stand upon things which don't exist?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:15:01 PM

And once again, atheism is a stance on one proposition, that there is no valid evidence that any god or gods as defined by their adherents exist. Hitchens was also an avowed anti-theist and that is not synonymous with atheism. You need to understand that the words you're using have clear definitions and atheism is not a form of religion in any recognized sense.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:20:14 PM
"Atheism is Not a Religion". Bronto took the CON position. Bronto won the debate. Why? Because Atheism is a full blown multi denominational religion from every level.

http://www.debate.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:22:41 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:14:19 PM, desmac wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

(i am whismically asking you to debate me on the existense of the christian god)
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:24:22 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:22:41 PM, The-Holy-Macrel wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

(i am whismically asking you to debate me on the existense of the christian god)

Thank you very much for the invite. However I don't do debates, so must respectfully decline your kind offer.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:27:19 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:15:01 PM, dhardage wrote:

And once again, atheism is a stance on one proposition, that there is no valid evidence that any god or gods as defined by their adherents exist. Hitchens was also an avowed anti-theist and that is not synonymous with atheism. You need to understand that the words you're using have clear definitions and atheism is not a form of religion in any recognized sense.

So you attack a being that admittedly may exist.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:28:39 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:24:22 PM, desmac wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

Thank you very much for the invite. However I don't do debates, so must respectfully decline your kind offer.

Of course you don't. Who would debate on a debate forum? Are you afraid he might put a chink in that faith you have?

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:31:34 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:28:39 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

Of course you don't. Who would debate on a debate forum? Are you afraid he might put a chink in that faith you have?

I find that kind of casual racism distasteful.
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 5:37:24 PM

You wanna GO punk?

Debate in a forum?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:22:35 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:27:19 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 4/15/2016 5:15:01 PM, dhardage wrote:

So you attack a being that admittedly may exist.

I have no evidence of existence so I function as if no god or gods exist. I cannot say with absolute certainty that there is no such supernatural being but unless there is some evidence to support the assertion I simply ignore the possibility as I do the possibility of elves, gnomes, and fairies. This is not an attack, it's just a functional conclusion.
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:35:12 PM
Atheists take a defined stance on God.

As an atheist, my stance has nothing to do with whichever God you're referring to, it relates to my lack of a stance.

They have faith in evolution despite no one ever seeing a change in kind of anything,

I don't have faith in evolution. It is scientific fact.

which is faith.

No, it's an acknowledgement of scientific fact.

And...there are Atheist churches. The religion also has unholy books like "God is not Great" (Christopher Hitchens) and "The God Delusion"(Richard Dawkins).

Not quite. Not even close. No one has ever or ever will treat these books in the same way the Bible or Quran have.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.......
To believe is to know nothing.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:40:41 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:20:14 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
"Atheism is Not a Religion". Bronto took the CON position. Bronto won the debate. Why? ...

~looks at debate: sees multiple forfeitures~

~looks at the only vote's reason: "Forfeiture."~

Was it due to forfeiture?

...Because Atheism is a full blown multi denominational religion from every level.

~facepalm~
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:44:50 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:31:34 PM, desmac wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

Which race am I

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:46:40 PM
At 4/15/2016 6:40:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:
"Atheism is Not a Religion". Bronto took the CON position. Bronto won the debate. Why? ...

...Because Atheism is a full blown multi denominational religion from every level.

~facepalm~

Of course it was. You might have noticed my past thread labled "Atheists give up in debates". No arguments. Just crossed arms and scrunched up faces.

SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:49:47 PM
I see atheism as being a dogma rather than a religion.

That is, if by atheism we are taking that to be an assertion that "there is no God".
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:50:59 PM
Atheists take a defined stance on God (1). They have faith in evolution despite no one ever seeing a change in kind of anything (2), which is faith. And...there are Atheist churches (3). The religion also has unholy books like "God is not Great" (Christopher Hitchens) and "The God Delusion"(Richard Dawkins) (4). A rose by any other name is still a rose.......

(1) Hasty Generalization: just because some atheist do (and of course the one's who make the most noise get noticed), doesn't mean all or even most atheists do.

(2) Strawman: A "change in kind" is impossible in evolution, too. The Theory of Evolution does not claim one kind of animal changes into another. All simiiformes are still primates, for instance, and all humans are still simiiformes, primates, and even still eukaryotes, too.

(3) Equivocation: they do not serve the same purpose as religious churches (i.e. prayer and worship). To equate them as the same thing is disingenuous.

(4) Although those authors have a strong following, it doesn't mean that their works are infallible or held in the same esteem as religions scriptures. These authors can be freely criticized, questioned, and disagreed with.

I don't know why I bother to comment; you cannot possibly be wrong in your understandings, can you?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:51:32 PM

It is not a religion, but some atheists proselytise with a religious fervor giving them the appearance of religious devotees.

However, atheism has broad ranging philosophical implications which put it at odds with Western Civilization as it came to be. They attempt to keep the framework while removing the underpinnings - it will ultimately collapse or be reshored by a renewed faith.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:52:43 PM
At 4/15/2016 5:31:34 PM, desmac wrote:

You wanna GO punk?

lol.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 6:54:49 PM
At 4/15/2016 6:46:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 4/15/2016 6:40:41 PM, Chaosism wrote:

~facepalm~

Of course it was. You might have noticed my past thread labled "Atheists give up in debates". No arguments. Just crossed arms and scrunched up faces.

Are you seriously not aware of the tremendous amount of debates there are in which someone starts/accepts the debates and then walks away (i.e. forfeits by inaction)? That's one of the bigger deterrents I have to debating on this site. Show us a debate that you have actually won. Heck, I might challenge you at some point on the topic of 'atheism is or isn't a religion'...
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:28:05 PM
At 4/15/2016 6:49:47 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

That is, if by atheism we are taking that to be an assertion that "there is no God".

Personally, my atheism is based on me not believing god exists. I see that as being different than making a factual claim that god does not exist. I suspect many atheists feel this way.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:34:46 PM

what, you are going to tell us this isn't a defined stance?

the belief is that there is no God, and the atheists here make sure that that stance, is known over and over and over again and again whether it's invited or not or appropriate or not.

this guy is trying to tell his stance isn't his stance. like no one can see that's a load of horse dump.
random_noob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:38:51 PM

1.Evolution has nothing to do with God. If you don't wish to believe evolution or gravity, that does not make everyone else religious.
2. no comment about the rest
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:41:59 PM
At 4/15/2016 7:28:05 PM, Canuck wrote:
At 4/15/2016 6:49:47 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Personally, my atheism is based on me not believing god exists. I see that as being different than making a factual claim that god does not exist. I suspect many atheists feel this way.

Yes, there is a difference, I'd agree.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:43:22 PM
At 4/15/2016 6:51:32 PM, Geogeer wrote:

It is not a religion, but some atheists proselytise with a religious fervor giving them the appearance of religious devotees.

However, atheism has broad ranging philosophical implications which put it at odds with Western Civilization as it came to be. They attempt to keep the framework while removing the underpinnings - it will ultimately collapse or be reshored by a renewed faith.

Funny, the developed nations with the least religion have the lowest rates of crime and incarceration and are show to be happier than the U.S. Show me the factual evidence you have to support that assertion, if you please?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 8:17:27 PM

Religion (definition)

1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods
2 an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods
3 an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Source http://www.merriam-webster.com...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:49:36 PM
Atheists take a defined stance on God.
godS. Atheists have no special reason to care about one over others, except the preoccupations of the society into which they're born.

They have faith in evolution
That's biologists, many of whom aren't atheists.

despite no one ever seeing a change in kind of anything
Actually, evolutionary inferences are tested assiduously -- a practice your faith discourages about its own claims. Which is why your faith is called a faith and not a science.

And...there are Atheist churches.
They're certainly called that, but the word 'church' is a strain, since they seem to be places of celebration rather than worship. Also, most atheists I've spoken to have no interest in them, and wouldn't go there except from curiosity or as a joke.

The religion also has unholy books
They are books, and you may think them unholy but they're not generally considered sacred by anyone. You're free to wipe your butt with the pages of any New Atheist publication if you so choose, and the only way you'd get a grumble is if you'd borrowed it from a library. For comparison, feel free to nominate a sacred scripture for which such disrespect would be generally tolerated.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.......
The rose here being your obsessive, paranoid delusions, Brontoburger? :)
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 12:00:09 AM

On top of all the evidence of evolution from fossils and genetics here is an example of evolution observed in recent times.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 1:59:29 AM

If I had three purple dragons and four yellow unicorns, how many leprechauns would I have?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 2:17:01 AM
It's impossible to shake off the stupid.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin