The temptation of Jesus

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:06:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
The story of the temptation of Jesus is full of problems, as follows:

1. It is only mentioned in Mark, Matthew, and Luke, but not in John.

2. It supposedly happened after Jesus went into the desert and fasted for 40 days- a very unlikely occurrence and likely not survivable.

3. It involves the physical appearance of Satan and a highly unlikely conversation between the two.

4. It speaks of being on a tall mountain such that Jesus could see all of the kingdoms of the world, something that might make sense on a flat earth.

5. It clearly lacked any witnesses other than Jesus and Satan.

6. Jesus is tempted to worship Satan, but since Jesus was divine, such would not be a valid temptation, because Jesus could have attained everything Satan offered (turning stones into bread, jumping off the mountain safely, and taking over the kingdoms of the world) without needing to worship him.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It is unfortunate for Christianity that this mythical episode was documented in the gospels. It strains credulity, and it is not necessary to the overall message of the gospels. It does nothing to enhance the image of Jesus. Furthermore, it telegraphs the fact that other stories in the gospels are likely mythical- even those that otherwise sound plausible.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:20:22 PM
At 4/15/2016 10:06:38 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

2. It supposedly happened after Jesus went into the desert and fasted for 40 days- a very unlikely occurrence and likely not survivable.

A healthy adult human can easily fast for 40 days.

3. It involves the physical appearance of Satan and a highly unlikely conversation between the two.

4. It speaks of being on a tall mountain such that Jesus could see all of the kingdoms of the world, something that might make sense on a flat earth.

6. Jesus is tempted to worship Satan, but since Jesus was divine, such would not be a valid temptation, because Jesus could have attained everything Satan offered (turning stones into bread, jumping off the mountain safely, and taking over the kingdoms of the world) without needing to worship him.

It is unfortunate for Christianity that this mythical episode was documented in the gospels. It strains credulity, and it is not necessary to the overall message of the gospels. It does nothing to enhance the image of Jesus. Furthermore, it telegraphs the fact that other stories in the gospels are likely mythical- even those that otherwise sound plausible.
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:30:44 PM

So?

Unlikely. Really.

Oh, another unlikely.

Not literal.

Jesus told the disiples.

They wrote the books.

Could and much more.

Yeah, he still tried though.

All history is a myth.

Some flying spaghetti monster could have wrote everything and brainwashed our knowledge of what happened.

The only thing we know for certain is we exist.

"Reality" just seems ligit.

Look! Likely again!

<(O._.O)>

(supposed to be kirby smiling)
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:35:06 PM

What you don't get is the moral of the story. Satan tempted Eve a woman and she succumbed. Satan tried to tempt Jesus a man and he resisted. We now know Eve a woman was the weakest link.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:47:40 PM
At 4/15/2016 10:35:06 PM, Harikrish wrote:

What you don't get is the moral of the story. Satan tempted Eve a woman and she succumbed. Satan tried to tempt Jesus a man and he resisted. We now know Eve a woman was the weakest link.

Don't you agree its ridiculous that a god (jesus) would be tempted to worship an evil angel he was actually sent to this earth to destroy? It's impossible that a creature of Jesus's intelligence, knowledge and power would even comprehend such a thing!

Eve has nothing to do with the temptation of Jesus.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
random_noob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 10:53:35 PM

OP, may I ask, are you an atheist? If yes, why would you read the bible? Just curious
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:06:11 PM
At 4/15/2016 10:47:40 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Don't you agree its ridiculous that a god (jesus) would be tempted to worship an evil angel he was actually sent to this earth to destroy? It's impossible that a creature of Jesus's intelligence, knowledge and power would even comprehend such a thing!

Jesus was not sent to destroy Satan. He was sent to save the sick children of Israel. Jesus only rebuked Satan after Satan failed to tempt him. You are out of your league when it comes to scriptures.
Women are not only easily tempted by the knowledge contained in a fruit as Eve was. We know today women are also attracted to the shape and size of fruits and vegetables for other reasons than what possible knowledge they might possess. How did Satan know the weakness women had for certain fruits and vegetables?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:09:44 PM
At 4/15/2016 10:53:35 PM, random_noob wrote:

OP, may I ask, are you an atheist? If yes, why would you read the bible? Just curious

My position is best described as very atheistic agnosticism. I know all of the world's religions are false but I acknowledge I can't disprove the theory of some type of non interventionist god causing the big bang or possibly even an earlier event as unlikely as it seems. Ultimately I accept that before the big bang it is impossible to know with certainty what happened. I often just call myself an atheist though as my views are more in line with atheism than agnosticism and my position takes some explaining.

I am interested in religion and religious debate. I enjoy reading Christian scripture and exposing its flaws. It actually amazes me how people actually believe in Christianity. It's so obvious it's false!

Reading the bible is not neccessary To know Christianity is false but To disprove religions in arguments you have to know about their beliefs. I know Sikhism is false but as I know nothing of its scripture I would struggle in an argument with a Sikh over whether their religion is true or not.

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:12:01 PM

Sounds like maybe you are reading the Gospels at least now, imagine that....an atheist gathering the Gospels in an attempt to educate itself lol, and this is what happens..... doesn't understand fasting, doesn't understand spiritual visions, doesn't understand spiritual encounters or types and shadows. Doesn't realize that the encounter speaks to several weaknesses people struggle with..... power, selfishness and the rejection of righteousness and commitment to God... what more can we ask of an atheist here? oh well...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:41:11 PM
At 4/15/2016 11:06:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Jesus was not sent to destroy Satan. He was sent to save the sick children of Israel. Jesus only rebuked Satan after Satan failed to tempt him. You are out of your league when it comes to scriptures.

Hebrews 2:14-15 tells us: "Since then the children [that"s us, the children of God] share in flesh and blood [that is, we have physical bodies], He Himself [Jesus] likewise also partook of the same [a physical body], that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil; and might deliver those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives." (emphasis added).

I know more about scripture than most Christians, especially the half hearted ones here in the uk!

Jesus's death is supposed to render Satan powerless and I should have stated that instead. I agree Jesus was not meant to completely destroy Satan but i was implying he was sent to defeat satan and stop his evil influence on humanity. I know that according to the bible satan has a big role to play in the future it prophesises.

Women are not only easily tempted by the knowledge contained in a fruit as Eve was. We know today women are also attracted to the shape and size of fruits and vegetables for other reasons than what possible knowledge they might possess. How did Satan know the weakness women had for certain fruits and vegetables?

I don't see how this sexist nonsense has any relevance to this thread. The garden of Eden is a myth. Adam and eve didn't exist.

Do you think they did exist? How do you manage to blend Christianity, Islam and Hinduism into one religion?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:47:00 PM
At 4/15/2016 11:12:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Sounds like maybe you are reading the Gospels at least now, imagine that....an atheist gathering the Gospels in an attempt to educate itself lol, and this is what happens..... doesn't understand fasting, doesn't understand spiritual visions, doesn't understand spiritual encounters or types and shadows. Doesn't realize that the encounter speaks to several weaknesses people struggle with..... power, selfishness and the rejection of righteousness and commitment to God... what more can we ask of an atheist here? oh well...

So do you actually think Satan tried to tempt Jesus to worship him after Jesus fasted in a desert for 40 days on top of a mountain where all of earths kingdoms were visible?

Or do you agree its just a made up story?

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 11:55:31 PM
At 4/15/2016 11:41:11 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 11:06:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Hebrews 2:14-15 tells us: "Since then the children [that"s us, the children of God] share in flesh and blood [that is, we have physical bodies], He Himself [Jesus] likewise also partook of the same [a physical body], that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil; and might deliver those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives." (emphasis added).

I know more about scripture than most Christians, especially the half hearted ones here in the uk!

Jesus's death is supposed to render Satan powerless and I should have stated that instead. I agree Jesus was not meant to completely destroy Satan but i was implying he was sent to defeat satan and stop his evil influence on humanity. I know that according to the bible satan has a big role to play in the future it prophesises.

I don't see how this sexist nonsense has any relevance to this thread. The garden of Eden is a myth. Adam and eve didn't exist.

Do you think they did exist? How do you manage to blend Christianity, Islam and Hinduism into one religion?

By observing how people handle the produce at the grocery store.