Jump to topic:

Can people believe God exists without worship

TheDom275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 9:30:38 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I've noticed something and I'm not sure why it's a thing. Anyone who is religious obviously believes God exists and worships it, that's clear. Anyone who isn't religious doesn't believe God exists. but what about the in-between?

Agnostics exist, yes, but they simply aren't sure whether or not God exists. I've yet to know of anybody who believes that a supreme power exists in the universe and doesn't worship it as their ruler. There are people who don't view their country's leader as their leader (e.g any riot against any political leader ever) but what about God?

I, for example, don't believe that God exists but if I am someday proven wrong and God is shown to exist I won't immediately become subservient to it. And that's basically the point I'm trying to reach. Why does the belief that God exists suddenly imply subservience and worship? Why can people not simply believe that something exists without following it?

(Sorry if I worded this poorly or made any moot points)
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 1:14:16 PM
At 4/19/2016 9:30:38 AM, TheDom275 wrote:
I've noticed something and I'm not sure why it's a thing. Anyone who is religious obviously believes God exists and worships it, that's clear. Anyone who isn't religious doesn't believe God exists. but what about the in-between?

There are plenty of in-betweens. It even has a name...deism

Agnostics exist, yes, but they simply aren't sure whether or not God exists. I've yet to know of anybody who believes that a supreme power exists in the universe and doesn't worship it as their ruler. There are people who don't view their country's leader as their leader (e.g any riot against any political leader ever) but what about God?

As a former JW, who has much insight as to people's beliefs (due to intense door knocking), there are many many people who believe in God and aren't religious.

I, for example, don't believe that God exists but if I am someday proven wrong and God is shown to exist I won't immediately become subservient to it. And that's basically the point I'm trying to reach. Why does the belief that God exists suddenly imply subservience and worship? Why can people not simply believe that something exists without following it?

They do ^

"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 1:16:12 PM

I take it you've never heard of Deism.
TheDom275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:46:22 PM
At 4/19/2016 1:16:12 PM, Athomos wrote:

I take it you've never heard of Deism.

Not once, honestly.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:46:43 PM
God is an idea. So it depends on the nature of that idea (as one holds to it) whether or not someone would choose to "worship" it, or not.

Also, people "worship" in very different ways. So much so that I think it would ultimately be a difficult phenomena to pin down.

Keep in mind that for a great many people, "God" is not an answer, but a question. Meaning that they conceive of God as being something more akin to 'the great mystery of being', than to the 'invisible-yet-very-man-like-deity' that we see some religionists holding onto and putting forth.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:20:57 PM

Cool question. The answer is that you can and I'll explain why. But let me see if I can help clarify some things, just want to make sure we are using the same words in the same meaning.
As you know I'm sure... to worship God just means to reverence and admire the Creator. Is that what you mean by worship in this context?
So yes, someone could believe that God exists without worshiping because in order for someone to "worship" anything they have to adore and admire it, if one has no feelings for something they cant' "worship" it, so in other words it's not forced it is a natural expression for a Theist to worship the Creator. The difference of course then between one who would and one who wouldn't is that the one who does not worship God hasn't made any connection to God, therefore there is no feelings of adoration and admiration.
Another form of worship though as you pointed out could be said to be "subservient" but I think that is not an accurate description. I would use the word pliable or flexible instead. But this goes back to the former, one cannot or be willing to be pliable unless some connection has been made. When you connect with someone and begin to admire that someone then the nature of being pliable or the nature of sacrifice becomes a natural response. The person becomes willing to change or adjust to the other person, a lot like in marriage interestingly, and I would know because I am married with four kids lol.

This is why people worship the Creator and become subservient, it's out of response. But not all people of course, there are some robots out there and some victims of extreme religion, I'm maybe speaking for myself and maybe some Theists as well.

For me it's natural to love or admire God, when I look out into His creation and creations it is natural for me to adore Him or what people would call "worship".
As I apply spirituality to my life and learn from the Spirit as a response that I admire God now a connection is being made. When your inner spirit connects with the spiritual you begin to do things out of response, it creates pliability.
So you don't have to follow God if one day you believe He exists, you will only do it out of response.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:22:51 PM
I've noticed something and I'm not sure why it's a thing. Anyone who is religious obviously believes God exists and worships it, that's clear.

What do you mean with worship?

I think it is possible to believe without worshiping. That is because:

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.
James 2:19

And actually I think people can serve God, without believing He exists. And all people really have something as their god and it can be seen by what they serve with their actions. Liars serve the "Father of lies" and those who love as Bible teaches serve God that according to the Bible is love.

http://www.kolumbus.fi...
TheDom275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:16:48 AM
At 4/19/2016 6:20:57 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Cool question. The answer is that you can and I'll explain why. But let me see if I can help clarify some things, just want to make sure we are using the same words in the same meaning.
As you know I'm sure... to worship God just means to reverence and admire the Creator. Is that what you mean by worship in this context?

Yes, I meant worship in the sense of respect and admiration that one would show for someone they believe to be their superior/creator, which people who believe in God would definitely see it as.

So yes, someone could believe that God exists without worshiping because in order for someone to "worship" anything they have to adore and admire it, if one has no feelings for something they cant' "worship" it, so in other words it's not forced it is a natural expression for a Theist to worship the Creator. The difference of course then between one who would and one who wouldn't is that the one who does not worship God hasn't made any connection to God, therefore there is no feelings of adoration and admiration.

You make a good point but I feel like the admittance that one believes in God has to infer a certain level of adoration. If someone believes in God (in the traditional sense of "God created or at least triggered the creation of all that exists today") then they must be attributing the existence of everything they love in life to God which, to me at least, implies a lot of respect for God.

Another form of worship though as you pointed out could be said to be "subservient" but I think that is not an accurate description.

I meant subservient in that if I was proven wrong and God was shown to exist I wouldn't choose to live under the moral codes God has outlined or follow God's will just because I knew God was the one that eventually made me. Yes, I would greatly respect God for making the universe (top job, cool stuff big guy) but I would still follow my own codes of ethics and live as my own man.

I would use the word pliable or flexible instead. But this goes back to the former, one cannot or be willing to be pliable unless some connection has been made. When you connect with someone and begin to admire that someone then the nature of being pliable or the nature of sacrifice becomes a natural response. The person becomes willing to change or adjust to the other person, a lot like in marriage interestingly, and I would know because I am married with four kids lol.

This is why people worship the Creator and become subservient, it's out of response. But not all people of course, there are some robots out there and some victims of extreme religion, I'm maybe speaking for myself and maybe some Theists as well.

For me it's natural to love or admire God, when I look out into His creation and creations it is natural for me to adore Him or what people would call "worship".
As I apply spirituality to my life and learn from the Spirit as a response that I admire God now a connection is being made. When your inner spirit connects with the spiritual you begin to do things out of response, it creates pliability.
So you don't have to follow God if one day you believe He exists, you will only do it out of response.

(Sorry if my use of "it" for God seems weird or offends in any way but I just don't see God as a gendered being, it makes more sense to me for God to be more nebulous than that.)
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:20:58 AM

Why should anyone or anything be worshipped, I really don't get the concept?