Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Discordianism

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:12:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My new fetish. Anyone care to join in?

Excerpts from the wiki:

Discordianism is a religion centered on the idea that chaos is all that there is, and that disorder and order are both illusions that are imposed on chaos. These are referred to, respectively, as the "Eristic" and "Aneristic" illusions. It was founded circa 1958–1959 by Malaclypse the Younger with the publication of its principal text, the Principia Discordia.
There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] It has been called "Zen for roundeyes", based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school. Discordianism recognizes chaos, discord, and dissent as valid and desirable qualities, in contrast with most religions, which idealize harmony and order. Eris, the Greek mythological goddess of discord, known in Latin as Discordia, is the deity of Discordianism.

The very idea of a Discordian organization is something of a paradox. Nevertheless, some structure is indicated in Principia Discordia.

If you want in on the Discordian Society
then declare yourself what you wish
do what you like
and tell us about it
or
if you prefer
don't.

There are no rules anywhere.
The Goddess Prevails.

The sect of Discordianism founded by Malaclypse the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst is known as the Paratheo-Anametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric (POEE), a Non-prophet Irreligious Disorganisation

According to the Principia Discordia, POEE is "a tribe of philosophers, theologians, magicians, scientists, artists, clowns, and similar maniacs who are intrigued by Eris goddess of confusion and her doings."

There are as many interpretations of Discordianism as there are Discordians

Greater Poop: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

The word Chao (pronounced similarly to "cow") was a neologism coined as the singular of chaos. In Discordianism the chao is a symbol of the 'pataphysical nature of reality; singular instances of chaos being at the center of 'pataphysical theory. The word is a pun that enables the following quatrain in the Principia Discordia:
To diverse gods
Do mortals bow;
Holy Cow, and
Wholly Chao.

The Curse of Greyface is one of the most important parts of Discordianism. It features prominently on several pages of the Principia Discordia.
According to the Principia, Greyface was a man who lived in the year 1166 BC and taught that life is serious and play is sin. The curse is the psychological and spiritual imbalance that results from these beliefs, both individually and within groups, nations, and civilizations.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:18:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:12:18 AM, FREEDO wrote:
My new fetish. Anyone care to join in?
Uh, no.
Excerpts from the wiki:

Discordianism is a religion centered on the idea that chaos is all that there is, and that disorder and order are both illusions that are imposed on chaos.
Order & disorder are illusions. Disorder is essentially chaos, no?
There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] It has been called "Zen for roundeyes", based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school. Discordianism recognizes chaos, discord, and dissent as valid and desirable qualities, in contrast with most religions, which idealize harmony and order. Eris, the Greek mythological goddess of discord, known in Latin as Discordia, is the deity of Discordianism.
You are a theist now?
The very idea of a Discordian organization is something of a paradox.
Why follow it, then?
Nevertheless, some structure is indicated in Principia Discordia.
But you just said order and disorder are illusions, so how can there be structure? If it cannot be ordered, then there is no structure. Paradoxes about.
If you want in on the Discordian Society
Society implies order. Order is an illusion. This religion does not make sense.
There are as many interpretations of Discordianism as there are Discordians

Greater Poop: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Contradictory.

Your new religion is a contradiction in and of itself, methinks.
I miss the old members.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:28:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
While the Principia is full of literal contradictions and unusual humor, it contains several passages which propose that there is serious intent behind the work, for example a message scrawled on page 00075: "If you think the PRINCIPIA is just a ha-ha, then go read it again."

http://en.wikipedia.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Pretend religion for teenagers.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 2:58:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Pretend religion for teenagers.

surprised?

Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:58:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Pretend religion for teenagers.

surprised?

Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.

Aren't you the one who has been trying to invent "fake" religions for yourself to follow?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:18:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:58:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Pretend religion for teenagers.

surprised?

Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.

Aren't you the one who has been trying to invent "fake" religions for yourself to follow?

You defend this nonsense geo?
wush
Posts: 330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:20:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 3:18:37 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:58:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Pretend religion for teenagers.

surprised?

Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.

Aren't you the one who has been trying to invent "fake" religions for yourself to follow?

You defend this nonsense geo?

not defending
just attacking you
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:26:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 3:18:37 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.

Aren't you the one who has been trying to invent "fake" religions for yourself to follow?

You defend this nonsense geo?

No, what gave you that impression?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:27:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 3:03:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:58:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/28/2010 2:57:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Pretend religion for teenagers.

surprised?

Not really, kids will always want this sort of stuff. Chaos monks, Wicca, Satanism, pretend-wotanism, raelinism etc etc.

Aren't you the one who has been trying to invent "fake" religions for yourself to follow?

How many times have I explained this to you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:08:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Discordianism isn't completely unserious. It has it's roots in Absurdism. It's confusing ways serve a profound purpose.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:16:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:08:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Discordianism isn't completely unserious. It has it's roots in Absurdism. It's confusing ways serve a profound purpose.

LOL And what "profound purpose" is that?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:25:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:16:09 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:08:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Discordianism isn't completely unserious. It has it's roots in Absurdism. It's confusing ways serve a profound purpose.

LOL And what "profound purpose" is that?

To mock the world which says things make sense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:25:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:16:09 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:08:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Discordianism isn't completely unserious. It has it's roots in Absurdism. It's confusing ways serve a profound purpose.

LOL And what "profound purpose" is that?

To mock the world which says things make sense.

I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand. I'm starting to think that this fetish of yours does not mock those who think the world makes sense, but in fact mocks it's believers.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:50:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand.

Just because we don't completely understand the Universe doesn't mean it's nonsensical. It is entirely reasonable to proclaim that, based on what we do know about the Universe, it does make sense.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 12:56:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:50:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand.

Just because we don't completely understand the Universe doesn't mean it's nonsensical. It is entirely reasonable to proclaim that, based on what we do know about the Universe, it does make sense.

I never claimed that the world is completely nonsensical but our understanding is not sophisticated enough to profess complete understanding of it! Do you deny that there is complex scientific properties and theories that are still being researched in confusion, and that the equipment along with our understanding is still quite basic?. As soon as you say, "The world makes sense" - you have to justify it. And can you justify that, Geo? I would LOVE to hear it.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 1:25:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:25:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:16:09 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:08:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Discordianism isn't completely unserious. It has it's roots in Absurdism. It's confusing ways serve a profound purpose.

LOL And what "profound purpose" is that?

To mock the world which says things make sense.

I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand. I'm starting to think that this fetish of yours does not mock those who think the world makes sense, but in fact mocks it's believers.

Subo.
Sock suspenders.
Carpets around the toilet.
Belgium.

The world demonstrably does not make sense.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 1:32:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 12:56:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:50:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand.

Just because we don't completely understand the Universe doesn't mean it's nonsensical. It is entirely reasonable to proclaim that, based on what we do know about the Universe, it does make sense.

I never claimed that the world is completely nonsensical

You said it's absurd to say that "the world makes sense," so you must believe the opposite which is "the world is nonsensical."

but our understanding is not sophisticated enough to profess complete understanding of it!

I never claimed that and it's irrelevant.

Understandable =/= Sensical

Do you deny that there is complex scientific properties and theories that are still being researched in confusion, and that the equipment along with our understanding is still quite basic?.

Again, we don't need to have a complete understanding of the Universe in order to say it makes sense.

As soon as you say, "The world makes sense" - you have to justify it. And can you justify that, Geo? I would LOVE to hear it.

Yeah, based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense. The fact that we get consistent results from repeated experiments, the fact that the Universe follows a set of laws that always apply, all of these things indicate a Universe that makes sense. For example, if it didn't make sense, mixing the same two chemicals together over and over yielded different results every time, or gravity would only apply to some things and you would see cars on the ground, but semi trucks floating in the air, etc.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 1:42:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 1:32:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:56:31 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:50:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 12:32:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
I have never met one person who claims that the world makes sense. Because, for that position to be justifiable, they would then have the BOP to justify that the ENTIRE world does in fact make sense. And I assure you, there's more things we don't understand completely than what we do understand.

Just because we don't completely understand the Universe doesn't mean it's nonsensical. It is entirely reasonable to proclaim that, based on what we do know about the Universe, it does make sense.

I never claimed that the world is completely nonsensical

You said it's absurd to say that "the world makes sense," so you must believe the opposite which is "the world is nonsensical."

That's a beautiful assumption but not my position at all. I do not believe that we have a significant enough understanding of the world to claim it "makes sense". Also, what I said was: "There are more things we don't completely understand than what we do understand." In that very sentence, I have conceded that we DO understand some of our world - so it would be illogical for me to have the position that the world is "nonsensical" while professing at the same time that we DO understand some. Don't assume; read my post.

but our understanding is not sophisticated enough to profess complete understanding of it!

I never claimed that and it's irrelevant.

Understandable =/= Sensical

To understand the world, it would have to make sense to us. Yes, we have an understanding of the world (albeit a limited and incomplete one) but that doesn't prove that the world "makes sense".

Also, can you understand something that doesn't make sense? No. So I'm hesitant to believe that understandable =/= sensical

Do you deny that there is complex scientific properties and theories that are still being researched in confusion, and that the equipment along with our understanding is still quite basic?.

Again, we don't need to have a complete understanding of the Universe in order to say it makes sense.

I disagree.

As soon as you say, "The world makes sense" - you have to justify it. And can you justify that, Geo? I would LOVE to hear it.

Yeah, based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense. The fact that we get consistent results from repeated experiments, the fact that the Universe follows a set of laws that always apply, all of these things indicate a Universe that makes sense. For example, if it didn't make sense, mixing the same two chemicals together over and over yielded different results every time, or gravity would only apply to some things and you would see cars on the ground, but semi trucks floating in the air, etc.

No, based on what we do know and the things we have observed, we can make sense of certain parts of the world. We do not have a complete understanding of the world. Also, gravity is still being researched along with chemical compounds so I'm not sure our understanding of that is sophisticated enough to say it makes sense completely.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 2:01:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Our power of description is limited. Put the most brilliant, well-research physicist you can find in a room with a 5-year-old child. After a few minutes of the "Why" game, I imagine that the extent of our ability to understand and explain the mechanics of our universe will become pretty clear.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 3:51:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 2:01:13 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Our power of description is limited. Put the most brilliant, well-research physicist you can find in a room with a 5-year-old child. After a few minutes of the "Why" game, I imagine that the extent of our ability to understand and explain the mechanics of our universe will become pretty clear.

You win 10 points.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 5:12:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 1:42:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 1:32:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You said it's absurd to say that "the world makes sense," so you must believe the opposite which is "the world is nonsensical."

That's a beautiful assumption but not my position at all. I do not believe that we have a significant enough understanding of the world to claim it "makes sense". Also, what I said was: "There are more things we don't completely understand than what we do understand." In that very sentence, I have conceded that we DO understand some of our world - so it would be illogical for me to have the position that the world is "nonsensical" while professing at the same time that we DO understand some. Don't assume; read my post.

I didn't assume, it was the only logical conclusion. Law of excluded middle. You must either believe the world is sensical or nonsensical, you can't be neither or both. Since you said it's absurd to say that the world makes sense, then you must believe the opposite, that is, the world is nonsensical.

I never claimed that and it's irrelevant.

Understandable =/= Sensical

To understand the world, it would have to make sense to us. Yes, we have an understanding of the world (albeit a limited and incomplete one) but that doesn't prove that the world "makes sense".

What? Those to sentences are blatantly contradictory.

1st Sentence: To understand the world, it would have to make sense.
2nd Sentence: We understand the world, but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Also, can you understand something that doesn't make sense? No.

Ok, so if you admit that we have some understanding of the world, that means the world does make sense, according to your line of reasoning.

So I'm hesitant to believe that understandable =/= sensical

They are not the same. Something would have to sensical as a consequence of being understandable, but that doesn't mean they are the same thing, it just means one is the consequence of the other.

Yeah, based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense. The fact that we get consistent results from repeated experiments, the fact that the Universe follows a set of laws that always apply, all of these things indicate a Universe that makes sense. For example, if it didn't make sense, mixing the same two chemicals together over and over yielded different results every time, or gravity would only apply to some things and you would see cars on the ground, but semi trucks floating in the air, etc.

No, based on what we do know and the things we have observed, we can make sense of certain parts of the world.

Ok, then that is completely consistent with my assertion that I made earlier that "based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense."

We do not have a complete understanding of the world.

I know that already, I don't know why you keep repeating that, cause that's not what I claim.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 5:25:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/28/2010 5:12:44 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/28/2010 1:42:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/28/2010 1:32:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You said it's absurd to say that "the world makes sense," so you must believe the opposite which is "the world is nonsensical."

That's a beautiful assumption but not my position at all. I do not believe that we have a significant enough understanding of the world to claim it "makes sense". Also, what I said was: "There are more things we don't completely understand than what we do understand." In that very sentence, I have conceded that we DO understand some of our world - so it would be illogical for me to have the position that the world is "nonsensical" while professing at the same time that we DO understand some. Don't assume; read my post.

I didn't assume, it was the only logical conclusion. Law of excluded middle. You must either believe the world is sensical or nonsensical, you can't be neither or both. Since you said it's absurd to say that the world makes sense, then you must believe the opposite, that is, the world is nonsensical.

Gee, that's some black-and-white thinking... I said that it's absurd to think that the world makes sense since we have limited knowledge and only certain parts make complete sense to us - to say that the world makes sense, we'd have to make sense of each aspect. And, in general, we do not have that understanding.

I never claimed that and it's irrelevant.

Understandable =/= Sensical

To understand the world, it would have to make sense to us. Yes, we have an understanding of the world (albeit a limited and incomplete one) but that doesn't prove that the world "makes sense".

What? Those to sentences are blatantly contradictory.

1st Sentence: To understand the world, it would have to make sense.
2nd Sentence: We understand the world, but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Let me edit: To understand the world, it would have to make sense. We understand CERTAIN PARTS, but that doesn't mean that the world completely makes sense. There's still too much left we don't understand.

Also, can you understand something that doesn't make sense? No.

Ok, so if you admit that we have some understanding of the world, that means the world does make sense, according to your line of reasoning.

So I'm hesitant to believe that understandable =/= sensical

They are not the same. Something would have to sensical as a consequence of being understandable, but that doesn't mean they are the same thing, it just means one is the consequence of the other.

Wait, so you're saying: To understand it, it must make sense. But it doesn't have to make sense to understand it.

Wtf?


Yeah, based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense. The fact that we get consistent results from repeated experiments, the fact that the Universe follows a set of laws that always apply, all of these things indicate a Universe that makes sense. For example, if it didn't make sense, mixing the same two chemicals together over and over yielded different results every time, or gravity would only apply to some things and you would see cars on the ground, but semi trucks floating in the air, etc.

No, based on what we do know and the things we have observed, we can make sense of certain parts of the world.

Ok, then that is completely consistent with my assertion that I made earlier that "based on our current understanding of the Universe, it does make sense."

NO. Understanding certain parts of the world does not automatically mean that we "understand THE world". How do you not get that? You're claim is a universal understanding of the world - which I claim is absurd. We do NOT have an complete understanding of the world - our understanding is limited. Do you see the difference? Yours is all encompassing. Mine is not.

We do not have a complete understanding of the world.

I know that already, I don't know why you keep repeating that, cause that's not what I claim.

By saying, "The world makes sense" you ARE claiming that THE WORLD (and that means in it's entirety) makes sense. That is simply not true since we do not have a complete understanding.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 5:32:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
GREATER POOP: Are you really serious or what?
MAL-2: Sometimes I take humor seriously. Sometimes I take seriousness humorously. Either way it is irrelevant.

GP: Maybe you are just crazy.
M2: Indeed! But do not reject these teaching as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true.

GP: Is Eris true?
M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

GP: Why do you deal with so many negatives?
M2: To dissolve them.
GP: Will you develop that point?
M2: No.

GP: Is there an essential meaning behind POEE?
M2: There is a Zen Story about a student who asked a Master to explain the meaning of Buddhism. The Master's reply was "Three pounds of flax."
GP: Is that the answer to my question?
M2: No, of course not. That is just illustrative. The answer to your question is FIVE TONS OF FLAX!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 5:35:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
@ann

Let me put it this way. I can look at an apple and say "this apple is red." I don't need to know the chemical composition of the apple, or the geometric measurements of the apple, the smell of the apple, the density of the apple, or any of that. Based on what I can see, the apple is red and will continue to call it red until some new information comes in telling me the contrary.

Likewise, I can say, the world makes sense. That doesn't mean that I know and understand everything about the Universe, but I can still look at the world and say it makes sense just like I can look at an apple and say it's red, despite not knowing it's chemical composition. Thus far, the world makes sense and I will still claim that until some new facts about the Universe indicate to me that the world indeed is nonsensical.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2010 7:54:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This sounds quite fun.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...