Jump to topic:

Is the belief in God logical?

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 1:37:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
All whom are critical thinkers and have an IQ of above 90 know that theism is utter bullcrap. But what about belief in God in general?

Sure, the idea of an all powerful spirit being and ruler of the universe (who ironically has the fashion style of a homeless man) floating about the clouds, spending his life being indignant at your...unique sex life is...retarded.

On the other hand, what if a God existed. That is, as an ultramundane being beyond the realm of this universe. Is this logical? Not necessarily like a spirit. Is this a profound idea? Or is it the insane ramblings of a lunatic in a high security asylum?

Let me know!
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 2:57:11 PM
At 4/19/2016 1:37:28 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:
All whom are critical thinkers and have an IQ of above 90 know that theism is utter bullcrap. But what about belief in God in general?

Sure, the idea of an all powerful spirit being and ruler of the universe (who ironically has the fashion style of a homeless man) floating about the clouds, spending his life being indignant at your...unique sex life is...retarded.

On the other hand, what if a God existed. That is, as an ultramundane being beyond the realm of this universe. Is this logical? Not necessarily like a spirit. Is this a profound idea? Or is it the insane ramblings of a lunatic in a high security asylum?

Let me know!

There is strong evidence an interventionist god does not exist. That evidence is a glaring lack of intervention. The idea that some guy in the sky rewards us or punishes us based on our insignificant actions, based on zero evidence, is childish.

With that said, I am not opposed to the idea that consciousness, as a property of the universe, exists outside of our mind. If anyone thinks that is too strange, they have never really thought about how strange it is that the subjective conscious experience exists at all.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:09:48 PM
I have questions.
Why an eternal omnipotent, omniscient being?
Why would such a being create what he already knows?
Why would such a being create a failed creation?
Why would such a being create alternative creations (heaven/hell)?
Why would such a being demand worship?
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:48:19 PM
At 4/19/2016 2:57:11 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Let me know!

There is strong evidence an interventionist god does not exist. That evidence is a glaring lack of intervention. The idea that some guy in the sky rewards us or punishes us based on our insignificant actions, based on zero evidence.

intervention with what? wouldn't that be people? and if it was with people they just might tell someone else their experiences with a God that intervenes in their lives. in this case that would be what is commonly known, as the bible. which is a documentation of what people in the past have experienced do to God's intervention.

With that said, I am not opposed to the idea that consciousness, as a property of the universe, exists outside of our mind. If anyone thinks that is too strange, they have never really thought about how strange it is that the subjective conscious experience exists at all.

not to get into a discussion about it, but consider how does consciousness come from what is not conscious, and how come there is no physical evidence of it's source. all other things in the universe have elements they are of, like time energy space and matter, but none of these have a conscious will that values.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:57:03 PM
At 4/19/2016 3:48:19 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Let me know!

There is strong evidence an interventionist god does not exist. That evidence is a glaring lack of intervention. The idea that some guy in the sky rewards us or punishes us based on our insignificant actions, based on zero evidence.

intervention with what? wouldn't that be people? and if it was with people they just might tell someone else their experiences with a God that intervenes in their lives. in this case that would be what is commonly known, as the bible. which is a documentation of what people in the past have experienced do to God's intervention.

Even you believe that anecdotal evidence is unreliable when it doesn't fit with your world view. For example, I'm sure you don't believe that an angel actually appeared to Joseph Smith and commanded him to write holy text.

not to get into a discussion about it, but consider how does consciousness come from what is not conscious, and how come there is no physical evidence of it's source. all other things in the universe have elements they are of, like time energy space and matter, but none of these have a conscious will that values.

I'm not disputing that but concluding that an interventionists god exists is quite a leap with gaps in logic. It is A explanation; it is not THE explanation.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:08:05 PM
Belief in a tri-omni personal (etc., etc.) theistic god is completely illogical. Reality argues against it. If we wanted to break belief in god down to degrees of rationality, then the most simple definition of god is the most reasonable. However, "most reasonable" is not necessarily logical.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:19:21 PM

Let me know!

Theism is "crap", but a creator? Hmmmm....
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:19:43 PM

Do you think a parent is concerned with the way of life their children live by?

Let me know!
All religious accounts are an attempt at knowing who God is...its obvious you simply dont like the outcome.
The demonstration of creation in the lab was enough to show its the only way things come together. Nuff said really
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:20:13 PM
At 4/19/2016 3:57:03 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 4/19/2016 3:48:19 PM, DPMartin wrote:

Let me know!

Even you believe that anecdotal evidence is unreliable when it doesn't fit with your world view. For example, I'm sure you don't believe that an angel actually appeared to Joseph Smith and commanded him to write holy text.

I wasn"t there, I can"t say one way or the other, and it"s my understanding that nothing they say or do is contrary to what is in the bible used by most of chirtainty they claim to believe. Also there is some claims that those who were with joseph smith witnessed what is sometimes referred to as the Merkabah. Therefore, proof to them that God was with joseph smith.

I'm not disputing that but concluding that an interventionists god exists is quite a leap with gaps in logic. It is A explanation; it is not THE explanation.

intervention is experienced, or it's not intervention of any real sort. therefore not calculated, or reasoned into logic. how is it illogical that a God who is Creator and Judge wouldn't intervene in the affairs of men as He pleases. it is His prerogative to do so or not do so, at His will.
Trollord
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:22:04 PM

Let me know!

Profound.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:28:32 PM
At 4/19/2016 4:19:43 PM, bigotry wrote:

Let me know!
All religious accounts are an attempt at knowing who God is...its obvious you simply dont like the outcome.
The demonstration of creation in the lab was enough to show its the only way things come together. Nuff said really

"Oh, "Nuff".

No, you simply have a very limited understanding of religion. There are atheistic religions such as Buddhism, especially Zen, Daoism, Jainism. Even certain branches of Hinduism are atheistic. Certain Gnostic variants can also be said to be atheistic.

It's simply a product of ignorance to claim that "All religious accounts are an attempt at knowing who God is".
Trollord
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:31:23 PM
At 4/19/2016 4:28:32 PM, Athomos wrote:

Let me know!

"Oh, "Nuff".

No, you simply have a very limited understanding of religion. There are atheistic religions such as Buddhism, especially Zen, Daoism, Jainism. Even certain branches of Hinduism are atheistic. Certain Gnostic variants can also be said to be atheistic.

It's simply a product of ignorance to claim that "All religious accounts are an attempt at knowing who God is".

So you only hate christianity?

If it is personal then you must understand
there was some reason, probably the
maintaining of free will.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:32:59 PM
At 4/19/2016 4:28:32 PM, Athomos wrote:

Let me know!

"Oh, "Nuff".

No, you simply have a very limited understanding of religion. There are atheistic religions such as Buddhism, especially Zen, Daoism, Jainism.
Your wrong about this. These are philosophys. Not sure what this has to do with the fact that every civilization has believed in the divine.
Even certain branches of Hinduism are atheistic. Certain Gnostic variants can also be said to be atheistic.
Again philosophic points of view. Right because the verdas have no divine inference...

Thats what they are...
Again the point still stands that creation has been shown in the lab. This is just how it was done like it or not.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:02:52 PM
At 4/19/2016 4:32:59 PM, bigotry wrote:

Again the point still stands that creation has been shown in the lab. This is just how it was done like it or not.

Citation.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:34:32 PM
At 4/19/2016 5:02:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Citation.
It was in science daily a little while ago.
https://www.nlm.nih.gov...
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:35:44 PM
Clearly, God exists as an idea, and that idea has a significant effect on us and in the world, through us. So I don't see why you're wasting time and energy on the question of the existence of God when the fact that you asked it, already answers it.

The far more interesting questions, then, and the pertinent ones, I think, are about the perceptual/conceptual nature of "God", and how these effect us individually and collectively, and how they effect the universe, through us.

No one ever seems to want to ask these questions, though. Which I find immensely puzzling.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:59:35 PM
At 4/19/2016 5:34:32 PM, bigotry wrote:

Citation.

I realize "created" is in the title, but what these scientist did with bacteria and what creationism claims are completely different things.

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:07:40 PM

Let me know!

No, a belief in God is not logical. But I have never heard of an idea for the creation(or beginning) of the universe or life that was logical.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:45:39 PM
At 4/19/2016 5:59:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Citation.

I realize "created" is in the title, but what these scientist did with bacteria and what creationism claims are completely different things.

regardless, the Genesis account says God formed everything on earth from existing material. This is what was done in the lab. They quite literally created a bacteria.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 9:40:09 PM
At 4/19/2016 7:45:39 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:59:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Citation.

regardless, the Genesis account says God formed everything on earth from existing material. This is what was done in the lab. They quite literally created a bacteria.

No, it's just equivocation on your part.

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 10:14:06 PM

Let me know!

Well it is more logical than not believing in him, that is for sure.

Believing in the right God is extremely logical.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:17:10 AM
At 4/19/2016 3:09:48 PM, bulproof wrote:
I have questions.

I don't know. Maybe "it" doesn't have those properties.

Maybe "it" isn't all knowing. Maybe we are a test conducted by extraterrestrial scientists 0_0

Same reason people like destroying things in video games.

That's a theistic thing, which doesn't apply.

Again. Theistic.

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:18:22 AM

False analogy. A parent is a human as are his/her children. Evolution has molded us and other animals to care for our offspring (at least up to a certain age). It is a highly successful strategy for the continuation of a species.

A god who is immaterial, the creator of this vast universe and not bound by time can be nothing like a human. A better comparison between god and us would be between us and an ant. Do you care about the sex life of your average ant?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:20:19 AM
At 4/19/2016 3:09:48 PM, bulproof wrote:
I have questions.

Good questions!
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:20:52 AM

Depends on the parent.

Let me know!

The outcome is always retarded and stupid, so yes, that is an outcome I don't like.

No, not nuff said. What creation? What are you talking about?

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:24:51 AM
At 4/19/2016 7:07:40 PM, janesix wrote:

Let me know!

No, a belief in God is not logical. But I have never heard of an idea for the creation(or beginning) of the universe or life that was logical.

So so true.

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:26:40 AM
At 4/19/2016 10:14:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Let me know!

Why?

Ooh! Ooh! Let me guess....yours

Did I winz?

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 10:15:41 AM
At 4/20/2016 1:26:40 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Let me know!

Why?

because it provides logical, and accurate, answers to every question of any real importance.

Did I winz?

There is no other true God, there there are other gods faithful to him, and many who aren't.

No, you didn't win, no-one wins, only Jehovah.

Some of us aren't interested in winning,
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:41:39 PM
At 4/20/2016 10:15:41 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/20/2016 1:26:40 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

Let me know!

Why?

because it provides logical, and accurate, answers to every question of any real importance.

Did I winz?

There is no other true God, there there are other gods faithful to him, and many who aren't.

In other words, yes. I thought so.

No, you didn't win, no-one wins, only Jehovah.

Some of us aren't interested in winning,