Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The flood

bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:35:37 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?
Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:39:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:35:37 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another. With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:57:37 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

We can make very specific predictions about what evidence a global flood would have left behind. This evidence does not exist. There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from this - the flood (according to the Bible) never happened. Not to mention, all flood stories are not global, not all have the same characters, not all include an actual flood, and finally, the Bible is not the first, so ....your argument is all washed out. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:17:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:39:21 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:35:37 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another.
That lasted about a year? Its only in every part of the world because the sons of noah settled different areas and passed it down...why else do you think there are similarities??

With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Ok.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:22:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:17:28 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:39:21 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:35:37 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another.
That lasted about a year? Its only in every part of the world because the sons of noah settled different areas and passed it down...why else do you think there are similarities??

If that were true, then there would/should be no variance as to the various religions. And yet here we are. I think there are similarities in various flood mythos because primitive peoples needed ways to come up with why the oceans lakes and rivers were present.

With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Ok.

Buddhism, for starters.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:32:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:57:37 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

We can make very specific predictions about what evidence a global flood would have left behind. This evidence does not exist.
Im curious what your thoughts on the earths strata are then.
There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from this - the flood (according to the Bible) never happened.

I will say this much. Science has not stood the test of time in that its always lacked consistency. We can fast forward this show 100 years and people may believe entirely different things than we do today. I suppose we can start with what you find so lacking about what we know now??
Not to mention, all flood stories are not global, not all have the same characters, not all include an actual flood, and finally, the Bible is not the first, so ....your argument is all washed out. ;-)
Im not certain thats relevant. Looking around the world mankind made pyramids and large temples putting their own spin on it ect. Yet they never neccesarily interacted with each other. Dont you think theres links of humanity and its thinking? Just as why all the recordings may be dofferent and vary, they still have one thing in common, a flood.
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:41:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:22:11 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:17:28 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:39:21 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:35:37 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:32:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another.
That lasted about a year? Its only in every part of the world because the sons of noah settled different areas and passed it down...why else do you think there are similarities??

If that were true, then there would/should be no variance as to the various religions. And yet here we are.

Well this point just cant be true because from that standpoint there one day was a first man and woman in evolutionary history and so all mankind would have a first man anyway who would have offspring and theyd spread around. This in mind is also explained by the onserved diversity of man right now. Why do some people champion communism over capitalism? Why dont all people agree on the best economic policy for a country? In America there are 50 state constitutions all born out of THE constitution yet they all have differences. So is the same with Gods relationship with man.

I think there are similarities in various flood mythos because primitive peoples needed ways to come up with why the oceans lakes and rivers were present.
Why would they need to do that?

With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Ok.

Buddhism, for starters.
Buddhism is a way of life and an understanding pursuit. Its a how to guide. Christianity is actually the same thing though its been turned religious.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:42:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:57:37 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

We can make very specific predictions about what evidence a global flood would have left behind. This evidence does not exist. There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from this - the flood (according to the Bible) never happened. Not to mention, all flood stories are not global, not all have the same characters, not all include an actual flood, and finally, the Bible is not the first, so ....your argument is all washed out. ;-)

depends on which interpretation of the evidence/facts makes more sense, which
is affected by your bias.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:47:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another.
That lasted about a year? Its only in every part of the world because the sons of noah settled different areas and passed it down...why else do you think there are similarities??

If that were true, then there would/should be no variance as to the various religions. And yet here we are.

Well this point just cant be true because from that standpoint there one day was a first man and woman in evolutionary history and so all mankind would have a first man anyway who would have offspring and theyd spread around. This in mind is also explained by the onserved diversity of man right now. Why do some people champion communism over capitalism? Why dont all people agree on the best economic policy for a country? In America there are 50 state constitutions all born out of THE constitution yet they all have differences. So is the same with Gods relationship with man.

.... what? You went like 10 different directions there.

I think there are similarities in various flood mythos because primitive peoples needed ways to come up with why the oceans lakes and rivers were present.

Why would they need to do that?

They didn't need to, they wanted to, as a way to try to understand the world around them.

With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Ok.

Buddhism, for starters.
Buddhism is a way of life and an understanding pursuit. Its a how to guide. Christianity is actually the same thing though its been turned religious.

Ah, no. That is not true. Christianity is not a search for enlightenment, its a how to guide of subservience. Buddhism and Christendom are similar only in they have a live and let live vibe going on.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC, that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:04:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:42:18 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:57:37 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

We can make very specific predictions about what evidence a global flood would have left behind. This evidence does not exist. There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from this - the flood (according to the Bible) never happened. Not to mention, all flood stories are not global, not all have the same characters, not all include an actual flood, and finally, the Bible is not the first, so ....your argument is all washed out. ;-)

depends on which interpretation of the evidence/facts makes more sense, which
is affected by your bias.

Ummm, did you mean to suggest I said something I did not, or were you responding to someone else?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:13:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

By Gods standards none are innocent,plus foetuses, newborns and mentally disabled would go to heaven anyway.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

Again,all are guilty to some extent for rebelling against God and since He created everything He has the right to destroy it if He wishes.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

Depends on ones interpretation of the evidence/facts

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC, that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

It has been demonstrated how the population could have easily reached today's numbers starting with the 8 individuals on the ark. Speciation has also been known to happen quickly and quite a few variations in animals have been man made, as in the case of dogs, for instance. Animals possibly spread out around the world before continental drift separated the earth masses as they are today.
There have probably not been many fossils formed since the flood, which provided the ideal conditions for fossil formation.
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:24:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 6:13:23 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

By Gods standards none are innocent,plus foetuses, newborns and mentally disabled would go to heaven anyway.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

Again,all are guilty to some extent for rebelling against God and since He created everything He has the right to destroy it if He wishes.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

Depends on ones interpretation of the evidence/facts

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC, that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

It has been demonstrated how the population could have easily reached today's numbers starting with the 8 individuals on the ark. Speciation has also been known to happen quickly and quite a few variations in animals have been man made, as in the case of dogs, for instance. Animals possibly spread out around the world before continental drift separated the earth masses as they are today.
There have probably not been many fossils formed since the flood, which provided the ideal conditions for fossil formation.

Foetuses, new-borns and mentally handicapped all deserve to be tortured by drowning?

Yup, religion makes otherwise decent people behave like imbeciles. Your morals are morally repugnant and good gracious they're on the way out of history.

As for the rest, do some basic math and count the number of new species that would have to branch out each day in order to go from what could fit inside the ark to what we have now.

Yup, religion makes otherwise intelligent people act as though they are mongoloids.

Christianity is a piece of putrid garbage.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 6:26:31 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:32:56 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:57:37 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

We can make very specific predictions about what evidence a global flood would have left behind. This evidence does not exist.
Im curious what your thoughts on the earths strata are then.

Layers of sediment layed down over millions/billions of years. Floods don't organize layers.

There is only one conclusion that can be drawn from this - the flood (according to the Bible) never happened.

I will say this much. Science has not stood the test of time in that its always lacked consistency. We can fast forward this show 100 years and people may believe entirely different things than we do today. I suppose we can start with what you find so lacking about what we know now??

Lol, you're criticizing science for what is, in my opinion, it's best feature: critical thinking. The conclusions are built on the evidence, instead of the evidence being interpreted to fit a conclusion. The latter is nothing more than dogmatism and not something that should be embraced.

Not to mention, all flood stories are not global, not all have the same characters, not all include an actual flood, and finally, the Bible is not the first, so ....your argument is all washed out. ;-)
Im not certain thats relevant. Looking around the world mankind made pyramids and large temples putting their own spin on it ect. Yet they never neccesarily interacted with each other. Dont you think theres links of humanity and its thinking? Just as why all the recordings may be dofferent and vary, they still have one thing in common, a flood.

Every story is different and some only contain the threat of a flood. You might just as easily (and probably more accurately) claim humans are afraid of drowning. Also, If people are just "putting their own spin on it" that would include the author of Genesis.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:35:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:47:30 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Every part of the world has their own Gods.

Why does anyone deny them?

Really only because of Gods revelation to mankind. That also itself is telling the divine exists. The only thing in dispute here is which God is THE God.

-sigh- Every corner of the world has some variety flood mythos because nearly every corner of the world has been beset by a heavy deluge at one point or another.
That lasted about a year? Its only in every part of the world because the sons of noah settled different areas and passed it down...why else do you think there are similarities??

If that were true, then there would/should be no variance as to the various religions. And yet here we are.

Well this point just cant be true because from that standpoint there one day was a first man and woman in evolutionary history and so all mankind would have a first man anyway who would have offspring and theyd spread around. This in mind is also explained by the onserved diversity of man right now. Why do some people champion communism over capitalism? Why dont all people agree on the best economic policy for a country? In America there are 50 state constitutions all born out of THE constitution yet they all have differences. So is the same with Gods relationship with man.

.... what? You went like 10 different directions there.
It seemed as if you implied that man having a single origin should have the same belief system throughout his offspring.

I think there are similarities in various flood mythos because primitive peoples needed ways to come up with why the oceans lakes and rivers were present.

Why would they need to do that?

They didn't need to, they wanted to, as a way to try to understand the world around them.
Ok so what of it then? I doubt this accounts for that single thing they all share: a great flood.

With regards to your reply, what about religions and philosophies that have no central deity? Wait, don't answer that. Its rhetorical. Arguments stemming from ignorance and incredulity turn out like this.
Ok.

Buddhism, for starters.
Buddhism is a way of life and an understanding pursuit. Its a how to guide. Christianity is actually the same thing though its been turned religious.

Ah, no. That is not true. Christianity is not a search for enlightenment, its a how to guide of subservience. Buddhism and Christendom are similar only in they have a live and let live vibe going on.

You mistake that finding and seeking out God isnt a search for enlightenment. Thats exactly what it is. Buddhism is just one suggestion to get there which christians disagree with.
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 7:43:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

It says that God saw mans heart was continually evil...as for any innocence, leaving the world that is so influenced by evil isnt bad at all. But this point sheds little on if it is a fact of history.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

What do you make of strata then?

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC,

We dont know that it happened based on the bible that it happened around 2000 BC...

that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

Thats easily explainable by pangea and time after the flood...
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 8:04:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 7:43:30 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

It says that God saw mans heart was continually evil...as for any innocence, leaving the world that is so influenced by evil isnt bad at all. But this point sheds little on if it is a fact of history.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

What do you make of strata then?

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC,

We dont know that it happened based on the bible that it happened around 2000 BC...

that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

Thats easily explainable by pangea and time after the flood...

The strata show there was no global flood.

The overwhelming majority of geologists do not see any evidence whatsoever of a global flood. You better provide some solid evidence to persuade forum members that they should veer towards the bizarre opinions of an anonymous forum poster who, evidently, has no expert knowledge whatsoever in geology, versus the combined experience of thousands of scientists who haven doing it for years according to the most successful epistemology to date, the scientific method.

But go ahead and quote the handful of loonies funded by creationist sexagenarians who continuously mine quote proper peer reviewed papers in search for that nugget that can be quoted out of context to give the appearance that there is any support for the idea oaf a global flood within the scientific community.

There isn't any.
Deal with it.

As for the 2000 BC date:
https://answersingenesis.org...

I could also quote other publications affiliated with other Christian denominations, such as the Jehovah's witnesses, all corroborating this very time frame.

Yup, religion makes intelligent people believe hogwash sane children would dismiss in a heartbeat.

It is such an absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous claim it cannot be believed by a thinking person, to quote a great polemist.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 12:04:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 6:24:32 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 6:13:23 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

By Gods standards none are innocent,plus foetuses, newborns and mentally disabled would go to heaven anyway.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

Again,all are guilty to some extent for rebelling against God and since He created everything He has the right to destroy it if He wishes.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

Depends on ones interpretation of the evidence/facts

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC, that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

It has been demonstrated how the population could have easily reached today's numbers starting with the 8 individuals on the ark. Speciation has also been known to happen quickly and quite a few variations in animals have been man made, as in the case of dogs, for instance. Animals possibly spread out around the world before continental drift separated the earth masses as they are today.
There have probably not been many fossils formed since the flood, which provided the ideal conditions for fossil formation.

Foetuses, new-borns and mentally handicapped all deserve to be tortured by drowning?

:Never said they deserved it.

Yup, religion makes otherwise decent people behave like imbeciles. Your morals are morally repugnant and good gracious they're on the way out of history.

:Even if you could determine my morals or lack thereof (you can't) from my post it is irrelevant to the debate.

As for the rest, do some basic math and count the number of new species that would have to branch out each day in order to go from what could fit inside the ark to what we have now.

:That would depend on your starting point, for one thing,

Yup, religion makes otherwise intelligent people act as though they are mongoloids.

The same could be said about atheists who have killed millions of people who didn't deserve it, or those who resort to ad hominin attacks in a debate.

Christianity is a piece of putrid garbage.

:Atheism is blasphemous.
Athomos
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 12:33:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 12:04:52 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/19/2016 6:24:32 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 6:13:23 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

By Gods standards none are innocent,plus foetuses, newborns and mentally disabled would go to heaven anyway.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

Again,all are guilty to some extent for rebelling against God and since He created everything He has the right to destroy it if He wishes.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

Depends on ones interpretation of the evidence/facts

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC, that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

It has been demonstrated how the population could have easily reached today's numbers starting with the 8 individuals on the ark. Speciation has also been known to happen quickly and quite a few variations in animals have been man made, as in the case of dogs, for instance. Animals possibly spread out around the world before continental drift separated the earth masses as they are today.
There have probably not been many fossils formed since the flood, which provided the ideal conditions for fossil formation.

Foetuses, new-borns and mentally handicapped all deserve to be tortured by drowning?

:Never said they deserved it.

Yup, religion makes otherwise decent people behave like imbeciles. Your morals are morally repugnant and good gracious they're on the way out of history.

:Even if you could determine my morals or lack thereof (you can't) from my post it is irrelevant to the debate.

As for the rest, do some basic math and count the number of new species that would have to branch out each day in order to go from what could fit inside the ark to what we have now.

:That would depend on your starting point, for one thing,

Yup, religion makes otherwise intelligent people act as though they are mongoloids.

The same could be said about atheists who have killed millions of people who didn't deserve it, or those who resort to ad hominin attacks in a debate.

Christianity is a piece of putrid garbage.

:Atheism is blasphemous.

It's one of the two:

A) Either you consider the torture of foetuses, new-borns, toddlers and mentally handicapped a just act in that situation and thus deem what God did just

or

B) You consider the torture of foetuses, new-borns, toddlers and mentally handicapped an unjust act in that situation and thus deem what God did unjust.

I can barely keep my anticipation at bay.
Which of the two is it?
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 1:24:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 12:04:52 PM, rnjs wrote:

:Atheism is blasphemous.
That's not possible.
Learn what atheism is and see if you can join an intelligent conversation.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 2:03:03 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Because they don't want to admit it, despite the fact that it does in fact explain some things that science currently cannot.

The problem is deciding which one is the genuine article and the other a faulty remembrance.

I go for the biblical one, not least because it makes sense if viewed with your power of reason on and the Genesis 1 account in mind, as well as Genesis 10:25, which appears to be highly relevant also.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Posts: 1,051
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 2:05:44 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 7:43:30 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:47:58 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 5:25:02 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:43:21 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:34:01 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:31:13 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

The facts.
Oh you mean the fact that its a matter of recorded history?

Yes, recorded in the annals of stupidity, gullibility and bronze age hillbilly ignorance, which some seem eager to perpetuate.
What do you call any of these peoples intelligences into question for?

The account of the flood - where God is deduced to have tortured innocent babies, infants, toddlers, foetuses, mentally handicapped, etc., before murdering them - is at once a despicable nauseating fable that turns the stomach of decent people and is appropriate for inanimate objects with the IQ of a sack of cement.

So why is it a historical record all over the globe? Nice emotional rant by the way.

Good to know the facts as proposed in the flood account sit uncomfortably with you.

1. Since God killed everyone but Noah's family, He must have killed foetuses, newborns, mentally disabled, etc. None of them was in a position to properly evaluate what Noah was warning them against and therefore none of them could accept his warning. Conclusion: God, who is said to be all-powerful, chose to kill innocent people.

It says that God saw mans heart was continually evil...as for any innocence, leaving the world that is so influenced by evil isnt bad at all. But this point sheds little on if it is a fact of history.

2. God didn't merely destroy the guilty. Since drowning is both quite painful and not instantaneous, God chose to torture them. Conclusion: God tortured innocent people to death.

3. A calamity of the magnitude of a global flood would leave heaps and scores of geological evidence behind. There is none. Conclusion: The flood is a myth.

What do you make of strata then?

4. The implications of having just one couple of specimens populate the entire planet are just laughable. Setting aside the problems associated with genetic bottleneck, and since that according to bible chronicle, the flood happen circa 2000 BC,

We dont know that it happened based on the bible that it happened around 2000 BC...

that means that out of the two original specimens, brand new species branched out practically on a daily basis! How gullible must you be to believe such frantic evolution? How did the penguins find their way to the pole? How did they manage to survive the trip? Did God guide the penguins? Why aren't there any fossils documenting their journey? Conclusion: the Flood is a myth.

Thats easily explainable by pangea and time after the flood...

I'd like to step in here and make a point about Pangea. The flood happened let's say ~2000 years ago. Pangea split ~200 Million years ago. See the difference?
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 2:29:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Actually, there are many comparative myths in many ancient religions and cultures. That is only one.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

You find it compelling because you want to find it compelling. Otherwise you would find all the comparative myths compelling.
Looncall
Posts: 459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 4:27:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 2:03:03 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/19/2016 4:28:04 PM, bigotry wrote:
Every part of the world has a flood story. I find that to be quite compelling to be an ignored history. Why does anyone deny this happened?

Because they don't want to admit it, despite the fact that it does in fact explain some things that science currently cannot.

The problem is deciding which one is the genuine article and the other a faulty remembrance.

I go for the biblical one, not least because it makes sense if viewed with your power of reason on and the Genesis 1 account in mind, as well as Genesis 10:25, which appears to be highly relevant also.

So, how do you account for the lack of the physical evidence that would certainly be present if the biblical flood occurred when it is supposed to have?
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.