Jump to topic:

AlienS |*| GodS

UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 6:43:20 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Apparently, atheists find the existence of extra - terrestrials much more credible than some divine power. If so, is it the anxiety to disprove God that derives them when there is no evidence of any alien life?

(Notice the fact that the majority of ufo theorists believe aliens to be a superior race.)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 7:28:42 AM
At 4/21/2016 6:43:20 AM, UUU wrote:
Apparently, atheists find the existence of extra - terrestrials much more credible than some divine power. If so, is it the anxiety to disprove God that derives them when there is no evidence of any alien life?

It might vary by atheist, UUU, but a big difference between conjectures of non-terrestrial life and gods is accountability, and for me that makes aliens worth entertaining, while stories of transcendental gods are dismissable outright.

Accountability is built on evidence, transparency, and falsification, and here's what I mean by that:
Evidence: there's objective information to be gathered, and not just opinions and imaginings;
Transparency: there's a model for how it works;
Falsification: if we're wrong, we can test and find out.

A conjecture of non-terrestrial life is high in evidence, transparency and falsification. If it's non-terrestrial, then it exists somewhere, eats something, reproduces somehow, has some biochemistry and some biological history with some mechanisms for adaptation -- all of which can be studied. In fact, we can study the possibilities before we even see any natural examples, with experiments around copper-based blood and silicon-based tissues, for example, or observations of nearby planets.

And those conjectures can be falsified too. For example, if silicon doesn't work well as tissues, or copper-based blood has limits as to what it can do, we can find that out by experiment.

So the point is, if conjectures are evidentiary, transparent and falsifiable, we can learn from them, even if they're wrong.

However, are conjectures about gods transparent? Do we understand how gods are supposed to do things? Are they falsifiable? If a there were no gods with anything to do with earth, would we ever be able to find that out?

They're not really, are they? In fact, it's almost as though the people who wrote about these transcendental gods worked as hard as they possibly could to evade any accountability for their ideas at all.

So in summary, conjectures about aliens can be made fully accountable, and therefore produce useful knowledge. Conjectures about gods are by design, utterly unaccountable, and therefore useless -- to be discarded without further consideration.

I hope that may explain.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 1:36:19 PM

Apparently, atheists find the existence of extra - terrestrials much more credible than some divine power.

That wouldn't be hard since atheists have no belief in gods and therefore would usually rank the possibility of ET above zero somewhere.

If so, is it the anxiety to disprove God that derives them when there is no evidence of any alien life?

Not sure what you are saying here, especially the part about lack of evidence for aliens. Why would this bother an atheist particularly? Do you imagine that we crave a substitute for gods?

Atheists have no anxiety to disprove gods since we have no beliefs in gods. It would be like having an anxiety to disprove Santa Claus. It's not something that we would worry about.

(Notice the fact that the majority of ufo theorists believe aliens to be a superior race.)
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 3:35:32 PM

I admit it is only a theory, but in my view any "aliens" are actually disobedient Angels. I so no reasonable cause for belief on life elsewhere in the Galaxy.

One thing for sure is that any real "aliens", if they existed would leave mankind to it's fate, since one thing they would not find on earth is truly intelligent life.

And if they have been able to come to earth "Aliens" would have to be far superior to humans.

Sorry but to me the only rational explanation for "Aliens" is exactly the same as that for "Ghosts" disobedient Angels distracting us from the truth. Trying to make things seem other than as they really are.

It works too, because especially in the sense of Ghosts, spirits of the departed. To most it is much more appealing than the truth.

They dot stop to think how horrendous it would be for our loved ones to be looking down on us unable stop us making such fools of ourselves all the time.

No, the scriptural teaching of the dead being unconscious until the resurrection is much fairer on the dead. Anything else is simply selfish on the part of those who insist on believing it.

I for one am extremely relieved that my Mother, who despite only being my adoptive Mother loved me unconditionally, hasn't had to watch the mess I made of my life for a couple of decades. I'm not even sure that seeing the start of that mess isn't what made her give up on life. I've certainly had to struggle to accept that it wasn't entirely my fault, and I still feel guilty about it.

There you go Hari, lol, another stick you can waste your time trying to beat me with, lol.

Just as well I don't care what you think or say.