Jump to topic:

Questioning Your Faith

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:29:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Something I've never understood is when someone questions their faith as the result of bad things happening to them in life. It doesn't add up to me at all. Why did you believe in God in the first place? Presumably it's because you either came to that realization rationally, or you feel God exists to some capacity.

Is the purpose of your religion to provide a path to entering heaven? Or do you just view it as a means to have good things happen to you here on Earth? I know for me personally, my religious views have never changed based on how good or how bad my life is going, so why is this so common?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:55:22 AM
At 4/22/2016 2:29:49 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Something I've never understood is when someone questions their faith as the result of bad things happening to them in life. It doesn't add up to me at all. Why did you believe in God in the first place? Presumably it's because you either came to that realization rationally, or you feel God exists to some capacity.

Is the purpose of your religion to provide a path to entering heaven? Or do you just view it as a means to have good things happen to you here on Earth? I know for me personally, my religious views have never changed based on how good or how bad my life is going, so why is this so common?
- I believe in God becaue everything needs a creator thus the creaotor of this universe is must be the God.
- Yes the purpose of my religion is to provide a path to entering the heaven.
- And yes the effect of my religion also gives a good things happen on Earth.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:28:47 AM

It is easy to believe when things are going good. It is when things go wrong and we have to probe our souls that we either go deeper in our faith, or we withdraw. It is the questioning that enables us to go further.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 9:19:02 AM

Cause it's easy to justify suffering in one theological frame work............when it's the OTHER guy doing the suffering.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:40:27 PM

There shouldn't be any "purpose" to why you consider something to be true. It is either objectively true or it is not.

Events or feelings did not play any part in me discarding my "faith"; it was logic and reason.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:03:03 PM
Many people have the expectations of a wishing well god, and if things don"t go so well they disregard their beliefs of what they think God ought to be. Like He owes them something, or they are entitled the fulfillments of their wants. And if He isn"t what they think He ought to be then they just aren"t going to believe. To a God that inhabits eternity in don"t think that really matters to Him.

It stems from their value of the fulfillment of their wants and desires in this life. It doesn"t dawn on them that God made heaven and earth to fulfill His desires will and pleasure, not theirs.

I know this much when it comes to the God of Israel you must come into agreement with Him. Otherwise you are on the outside looking in.